• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

Yeah the impression I got from Colin today was they went down just to film that. Hopefully they did more.
The video was kind of amusing even though I didn't know anyone in it besides the KF guys and Elyse who use to be with GT. I recognize at least one of the guys from being on C&GL once or twice, I think.
I have to say, I was disappointed to hear homophobic comments in it. I know the original Anchorman scene had some of that but with all that but that is a movie from 10+ years ago that takes place in the 70s. I have no problem with immaturity but I thought even in the silliest of situations, we had moved on from using gay as an insult. Plus, mixing it up could have given the RT folks an opportunity to put in some of their own jokes, rather than just copy the Anchorman jokes.
Though at least what Greg said about having sex with men was maybe pro-gay? ....I'm not quite sure.
Also, where the hell was Tim's Vita? Has Tim been banned from Vita Island?

Mezoly

Good discussion on Ratchet & Clank in today's GameCast. I do agree that these games need to be once a generation games.

Is there any place (other than the twitch PAX official channel) where I can watch the archive of the KF PAX stream?

I tried searching for it on the PAX East Twitch official stream (twitch.tv/pax3) but the VOD isn't available on this particular channel.

Thanks!

Vinc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqhBdCYymuQ

new PS I Love You. They discuss the PS Neo.

Colin is entirely on point and eloquent in this. As a tech enthusiast, I do want a PS4 Neo, but I'm sad that it's moving to this model, and it's making me second-guess my interest in console gaming at all.

On the other hand, I found Tim to be infuriating in this episode. His arguments made no sense. Comparing it to the Xbox Elite (which had no major differences beyond upgraded hard drive space, which could be upgraded on older models too) is absolutely nonsensical, and his argument about how everyone has PCs that can play some games now is just as odd, as that was also always the case. Any PC can play some older games. Older games now look better than older games of the past, but it was always the same thing. I don't even see what that has to do with PS4 Neo anyway... but yeah. This epîsode felt like watching 3 people who don't care or know much about tech talking about a topic that doesn't affect them much. Thank god Colin was there as the voice of reason. Even as someone who can afford and probably will get PS4 Neo, his arguments were totally sound.

ST2K

I love how Tim and Greg just assume that all PS4 games will play the exact same way on the base unit and just better on the Neo. It took forever for Colin to call that out, and the rebuttal was "This is supposedly different."

We should know better than to trust publishers on things like this. They'll either work with Neo as the base and push out versions with sub-standard performance on the base PS4, or they'll work with PS4 as the base and the optimizations for Neo will be so minimal it won't be worth the hardware upgrade. Meanwhile, more bugs will inevitably pop up with both of the versions. There might be a couple titles that are able to pull it off, but I think you're crazy if you trust most publishers to put out games that do so.

I don't get who Neo is for in the normal gaming landscape. The only theory I can generate is that PSVR runs like shit on base PS4 and needs the extra juice from Neo to be competitive, but I have no idea if that's remotely true or not.

LiK

Oof, I found the Critical Role D&D ep completely unlistenable. My hate for tabletop games didn't help. Maybe it was better in video form but I had to bail.

Oof, I found the Critical Role D&D ep completely unlistenable. My hate for tabletop games didn't help. Maybe it was better in video form but I had to bail.

I never even considered people listening to that episode. Then again, I never listen to their podcasts. I always watch them on YouTube, especially because they always do things that need to seen to be appreciated. So, yeah, I could see why the Critical Role episode was not a good listen. It would be like listening to one of Giant Bomb's Unplugged features. That's the kind of stuff that needs to be seen.

LiK

I never even considered people listening to that episode. Then again, I never listen to their podcasts. I always watch them on YouTube, especially because they always do things that need to seen to be appreciated. So, yeah, I could see why the Critical Role episode was not a good listen. It would be like listening to one of Giant Bomb's Unplugged features. That's the kind of stuff that needs to be seen.

yea, i mainly listen at work. i will watch if i'm home but most of the time, their shows are very listenable.

yea, i mainly listen at work. i will watch if i'm home but most of the time, their shows are very listenable.

And I can see that being a tough listen, especially if you get distracted while listening. With most podcasts, if you zone out for a moment, you can usually infer what you missed, but with the Critical Role episode, you'd be kind of lost. I don't know if I would have been able to finish it had I been only able to listen. Funny thing is, I loved that episode to death. I found it so hilarious.

LiK

And I can see that being a tough listen, especially if you get distracted while listening. With most podcasts, if you zone out for a moment, you can usually infer what you missed, but with the Critical Role episode, you'd be kind of lost. I don't know if I would have been able to finish it had I been only able to listen. Funny thing is, I loved that episode to death. I found it so hilarious.

Yea, in audio form it became noise and I don't have any interest with D&D. I'll give the video a shot later on but I tried watching D&D sessions with GB and other podcasters I like but i always bailed on those.

Yea, in audio form it became noise and I don't have any interest with D&D. I'll give the video a shot later on but I tried watching D&D sessions with GB and other podcasters I like but i always bailed on those.

Same, but it was amusing to have the voice actors (who are knowledgeable with D&D) and the characters they created in addition to Greg and the guys' (apart from Colin) inexperience with the game and the lunacy born from that. I'm not sure I would've watched it if not for those factors. I'm not going to seek out some random D&D stream, but I may consider watching an actual episode of critical role, depending on what guests they get.

As for the GB D&D vids, I only watched to see how Dan reacted. Personally, my favorite of their Unplugged features is the one game where there is a liar.

Anyone see their GTA lets play? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iv52fUz06H0

I thought it was amazing. I hope they do a lot more videos like these with RT. The lets plays were by far my least favorite videos they put out, but if they continue to be something like this, I'll definitely be looking forward to seeing them.

Yup. Just avoid the comments. They're not nice. You know how some people were not happy with KF teaming up with Rooster Teeth? Well it appears some RT (particularly Achievement Hunter) fans feel the same.

RoKKeR

Listened to a bit of the NEO segment on Gamescast... Tim's comparison to the Elite is just completely wrong. I don't understand how he can't see the difference, as there are clear ramifications to how games will be developed, marketed, and solid with the PS4.5. It's not even remotely close to the same thing.

Hopefully this will be the last of the NEO talk before anything more substantial breaks. Right now I am still uncertain about the whole thing, but I think Gregg is right in that the console market has now most certainly changed as a result of this, and "generations" are probably going to be a thing of the past once the Neo hits.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Yup. Just avoid the comments. They're not nice. You know how some people were not happy with KF teaming up with Rooster Teeth? Well it appears some RT (particularly Achievement Hunter) fans feel the same.

Yup, avoid the comments like the plague.

Get the Alientube extension for Chrome. Much better.

The first thing I read were the comments.

Honestly they're not quite as bad as I expected. Many of them are more upset about whatever schedule/routine they expected being interrupted rather than straight up hating on the KF dudes.

ST2K

Welp, can't wait to see people discuss Colin's topic on GOG this upcoming week. I'm sure all discussion will be rational and extremely well thought out.

RoKKeR

Shit, the GOG segment on loss was heavy. Really appreciated listening to it and texted my grandpa right afterwards.

Shit, the GOG segment on loss was heavy. Really appreciated listening to it and texted my grandpa right afterwards.

Yeah, not an easy listen at all. Appreciated the topic, but a tough one.

I know the group rags on PC gaming, but does anyone know whether Colin's played Eastside Hockey Manager? 75% off on Steam right now, seems like it'd be right up his street (if it's anything like the Football Manager series).

Today on Colin and Greg Live, Greg (in a very nonchalant manner) said he broke up with Kristine. I had a feeling that would happen when she moved to LA to take the CD Projekt Red job. Apparently it happened a while ago. The Twitch chat basically was like a record scratch.

MattyG

Banned
Today on Colin and Greg Live, Greg (in a very nonchalant manner) said he broke up with Kristine. I had a feeling that would happen when she moved to LA to take the CD Projekt Red job. Apparently it happened a while ago. The Twitch chat basically was like a record scratch.
:(

Damn, sounds like when they broke up awhile back when Kristine was still at IGN, and Greg was making jokes about it on Scoop, it was hard to tell if he was serious. Hopefully they're both OK with it and nobody's hurting too much.

Damn, sounds like when they broke up awhile back when Kristine was still at IGN, and Greg was making jokes about it on Scoop, it was hard to tell if he was serious. Hopefully they're both OK with it and nobody's hurting too much.

Actually, they had broken up previously (which I think is what you are referring to) and gotten back together. This is their second break-up.

Actually, they had broken up previously (which I think is what you are referring to) and gotten back together. This is their second break-up.

Yeah, that's what I meant. IIRC the next time Greg talked about them being together again was around the time he was battling cancer. Not that any of this really matters to us, but since we're all best friends we of course want the best for Greg.

Yeah, that's what I meant. IIRC the next time Greg talked about them being together again was around the time he was battling cancer. Not that any of this really matters to us, but since we're all best friends we of course want the best for Greg.

Ah. Yeah, I hope the best for Greg. I think he'll be perfectly fine. I hope when he does find a girlfriend, he finds one that makes him as cheery as Colin seems to be with Erin.

Noooooo :(

I loved them together. I mean, if it wasn't working then it's good they're moving on, but damn, that sucks.

I don't really want to dwell on it any more since it's none of my business. Just a bummer.

ST2K

There's a topic on the GOG show this week about it, so y'all have that to look forward to. But yeah, hope he's alright and things go well for him.

There's a topic on the GOG show this week about it, so y'all have that to look forward to. But yeah, hope he's alright and things go well for him.

Yeah I just listened to it.

I like how he's like "I'm fine, she's fine, we're fine" and Colin's just like "Neither of you are ever really fine" haha. But it sounds like he's coping, which is good.

Lol on C&G live almost the exact same exchange happened.

"I'm cool, she's cool, we're cool"

"I don't know if either of you have ever been cool"

Lol on C&G live almost the exact same exchange happened.

"I'm cool, she's cool, we're cool"

"I don't know if either of you have ever been cool"

Oh I probably got them mixed up, haha. Yeah that's the one.

He also said that breaking up with someone is nothing compared to the hell that will be the day Portillo dies

Oh I probably got them mixed up, haha. Yeah that's the one.

He also said that breaking up with someone is nothing compared to the hell that will be the day Portillo dies

Yeah, that will be devastating for him. Portillo is sort of another star of Kinda Funny. Kinda Funny without Portillo would be strange.

Yeah, that will be devastating for him. Portillo is sort of another star of Kinda Funny. Kinda Funny without Portillo would be strange.

There should be a patreon tier where we can put Portillo into cryogenisis so when the future makes Cryogenics reliable and possible the future Kinda Funny crew can bring him out

ST2K

I don't know, I think Greg could get over it rather quickly and get excited over getting a new daschund.

I could be very, very wrong though.

I don't know, I think Greg could get over it rather quickly and get excited over getting a new daschund.

Pets are basically family members, though. Losing them is absolutely devastating. What you're describing sounds more like replacing a TV set.

It's never that simple. A new dog would make Greg happy, maybe, but you can never truly replace one pet with another. There will never be another Portillo, unless he got cloned.

DKHF

I'm sadly really behind on the GOG show (for the first time ever) currently so I'm not caught up on the guys' lives outside of gaming recently but it sucks to hear that happened.

I'll marathon the GOGS episodes I'm behind on in two weeks when I'm not so busy. At least there will be a lot of good podcasts to go through.

ST2K

Pets are basically family members, though. Losing them is absolutely devastating. What you're describing sounds more like replacing a TV set.

It's never that simple. A new dog would make Greg happy, maybe, but you can never truly replace one pet with another. There will never be another Portillo, unless he got cloned.

I'm not saying he won't be upset at all. As a former pet owner, I know what it's like to lose one.

MattyG

Banned
c9aWPej.png

Top Bottom