• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

He does. This is going to sound weirdly personal and it's a huge assumption, but it seems like he's been more cheery since he started hanging out with Erin. From what I've seen on twitter lately it seems like they're dating, and it looks like they're having fun. I'm glad he found someone that makes him happy.

I think your assumption is spot on to be honest - the change seems to have come pretty much at exactly the same time as he was mentioning her. Much like you I'm very happy for him.

He does. This is going to sound weirdly personal and it's a huge assumption, but it seems like he's been more cheery since he started hanging out with Erin. From what I've seen on twitter lately it seems like they're dating, and it looks like they're having fun. I'm glad he found someone that makes him happy.

It doesn't seem... he flat out said she's his girlfriend. They went to school together at Northeastern University in Boston. He must really like her if he can look past the fact she is a die hard Boston sports fan (especially the Patriots, the team most hated by Colin).

MattyG

Banned
It doesn't seem... he flat out said she's his girlfriend. They went to school together at Northeastern University in Boston. He must really like her if he can look past the fact she is a die hard Boston sports fan (especially the Patriots, the team most hated by Colin).
OHHHH, okay. I thought I remembered him calling her his girlfriend once, but I wasn't positive. Awesome!

sora87

Dude on the gamescast this week is so hard to understand D: also to Colin's point on customisation in The Division, if anything there's too little in it, everyone looks exactly the fucking same

LiK

Off-Topic, but the former GameTrailers guys have gone the Patreon route (Ex-GameTrailers staff announce new project EasyAllies). I wonder if Greg and the guys helped to convince Brandon and his crew to go with Patreon. They are starting with a 12 hour Twitch stream to launch their new venture. Good luck to them! I'll be watching!

Everyone in GT GAF threads told them to go Patreon and they listened. Hope it goes well for them.

LiK

good lord, watching Tim Periscope Greg trying to win a UFO catcher Superman plush is pretty entertaining.

edit: Greg lost

BvS:DoJ is currently
38% rotten
on Rotten Tomatoes. I plan on seeing it.

I spoilered the RT rating just in case. If you want to see the rating, click the spoiler.

Not going to watch, wanting to go in blind. Guessing Greg blindly defended it? I'll probably do the same since I'm a Batman fanboy tbf

Nah. He was very respectful of Tim's opinions.

He acknowledges that he's viewing this movie from the lens of a DC superfan, and not in terms of traditional film critique. So he's more focused on what it does with the characters and stories he already knows, which is why he really liked it. It seems like a film made for comic book fans.

Tim is coming at it from a more standard point of view like most critics and mass audiences will, so he calls out things like the undercooked characters, disjointed story, poorly executed scenes, etc.

a916

Oh god... Colin going off on his tired tirade of Superhero fatigue... where was this when Deadpool was crushing the BO last month? Where will it be when Civil War crushes it in May?

It will happen eventually, but he's been hammering this drum for 2 or so years and eventually when it happens he'll be like seee!! I told you guys!

ST2K

Oh god... Colin going off on his tired tirade of Superhero fatigue... where was this when Deadpool was crushing the BO last month? Where will it be when Civil War crushes it in May?

It will happen eventually, but he's been hammering this drum for 2 or so years and eventually when it happens he'll be like seee!! I told you guys!

#colinwaseventuallyright

Choomp

Banned

I agree with him 100 percent but it doesn't mean people are going to stop seeing it. I kind of liked what he was getting at and think the majority are settling for a very simplified, similar type of movie that continues to be released when really there's tons of other more imaginative and new things big movie studios could be funding but don't because people buy the normal shit anyway and why take a chance

I agree with him 100 percent but it doesn't mean people are going to stop seeing it. I kind of liked what he was getting at and think the majority are settling for a very simplified, similar type of movie that continues to be released when really there's tons of other more imaginative and new things big movie studios could be funding but don't because people buy the normal shit anyway and why take a chance

I think Marvel is doing a good job in letting quirkier, less known comics get a shot like they did with Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man (both Phase 2 movies). Because the Marvel brand is a huge draw, they are able to take those risks. I think the upcoming Dr. Strange is another example. WB/DC is going in too hard, too fast. From what I gathered from the reviews, BvS is too bloated, too long, and has too many characters that are introduced too quickly. Instead of a slow burn like Marvel did, they seem to want to catch up right away. Not sure that was the best course of action.

a916

Nah, he has this weird myopic pessimistic view point of a genre he doesn't give a crap about. "Nothing is going to beat Dark Knight so they should stop trying"... sounds like your old cranky Grandpa.

It's a complete disservice to everything Marvel has done since, while nothing has topped Dark Knight, should Marvel stop putting out quality films that make money and people enjoy? No lol... it's weird considering his open viewpoint on COD and how open he is with gaming and how "I don't play this but it's quality and it reviews well and it makes money"

LiK

finally got around to listening to the Max Landis ep. he'e a great guest. very interesting discussions and he clarified why he hated Firewatch really well. i respect him now even tho i feel his Twitter rants can go too far at times.

ST2K

finally got around to listening to the Max Landis ep. he'e a great guest. very interesting discussions and he clarified why he hated Firewatch really well. i respect him now even tho i feel his Twitter rants can go too far at times.

As someone who had no idea who he was, he came off as a very affable fellow that is really excitable. It was kinda strange to see since he had such a reputation of being polarizing.

He was a good guest. I just wish he was next week's guest (episode would've recorded this week). He seems to really dislike Batman v Superman. That would've definitely been a topic that episode, especially with Greg liking it.

Kinda Funny Live 2 trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM-Rzzr8PTk

Tim says there will be a lot of announcements. The thing I noticed in the trailer is a lot of Rooster Teeth people. With that said, I personally wouldn't be surprised if it was announced that Kinda Funny was officially becoming part of the Rooster Teeth family. Maybe that's what their trip a few weeks ago was for, to show them around and negotiate terms.

LiK

He was a good guest. I just wish he was next week's guest (episode would've recorded this week). He seems to really dislike Batman v Superman. That would've definitely been a topic that episode, especially with Greg liking it.

Heh, I guess if they really want him back to discuss its they should fly him back for it. Although he seems he's gonna be super busy once his show gets into production.

kulapik

Tim says there will be a lot of announcements. The thing I noticed in the trailer is a lot of Rooster Teeth people. With that said, I personally wouldn't be surprised if it was announced that Kinda Funny was officially becoming part of the Rooster Teeth family. Maybe that's what their trip a few weeks ago was for, to show them around and negotiate terms.

Kinda.

They're not going to be part of RT per se but they're going to collaborate with them on their Let's Play channel.

LiK

Kinda Funny seems to be friends witgh EVERYONE. It's pretty cool that they don't give a shit who you work for.

1:20 to 1:35 was too intense O_O

ST2K

I don't like Rooster Teeth and it irritates me that they seem so intent on emulating them.

But if RT wants to give them a platform to do their stuff and their stuff doesn't change, I'm ok with that.

EDIT: Wait, apparently RT is gonna start showing up frequently in KF stuff? That changes things...

sora87

I don't like Rooster Teeth and it irritates me that they seem so intent on emulating them.

But if RT wants to give them a platform to do their stuff and their stuff doesn't change, I'm ok with that.

EDIT: Wait, apparently RT is gonna start showing up frequently in KF stuff? That changes things...

Yeah, that sucks. Not a fan of RT, Funhaus or any of them. :/

http://www.kindafunnyforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7177

Greg Miller said:
Hey, Best Friends--

Today’s a big day. It’s one of those days we’ll all look back at in in five years and be like “That was one of those turning points for Kinda Funny.” It’s on the level of January 5th, the Animated Series, and the first time I hugged Xyger.

We’re teaming up with Rooster Teeth for Let’s Play, a creative community of likeminded gamers. It means that we’ll be in more of their videos, they’ll be in more of ours, and our content is going to pop up on the Let’s Play YouTube channel.

Let’s be clear from the jump: Rooster Teeth is not buying us. We’re still independent. What’s happening here is that Rooster Teeth and Kinda Funny are taking the relationship to the next level. We’ve always been close, but now we’ll be even closer. Except for me and Gavin; he still has a restraining order.

So what does this mean for you outside of content crossover with Rooster Teeth, Achievement Hunter, Funhaus, and Screw Attack? Well, a lot. First and foremost, we’re moving the Kinda Funny store to the Rooster Teeth store. (Same kindafunny.com/store address!) Why? Because we’ve been listening to you. Rooster Teeth has merch on lock. This partnership means you’ll get your merch faster (no more waiting a month for a shirt -- at least once we have stock, today’s orders might still take a sec), and there will be a much wider array of stuff on the store. The much-demanded sweatshirts are on their way!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM-Rzzr8PTk

On top of that, let’s talk about Kinda Funny Live 2. (Tickets on sale now!) We told you it was going to be two days, but we never explained what that meant. Night 1 -- Saturday, May 28 -- is going to be the Kinda Funny Live you’re expecting but 20 times bigger. It’ll be all about entertaining the Kinda Funny community, it’ll have goofy bits, and it’ll have amazing announcements. We’re excited to announce today that Rooster Teeth Co-Founder Burnie Burns will be emceeing the event.

That’s huge.

Now, Sunday, May 29th is going to be something different all together. If Night 1 is about entertaining you, Day 2 is all about hugging you. Sunday is Meet & Greet day. It’s your chance to get photos with us, get posters signed, and hear some awesome podcasts. Geoff and Michael from Achievement Hunter, Adam and Bruce from Funhaus, and Gus from Rooster Teeth are going to join all of us for a super-Sunday. While one group meets and greets, another will record shows for you live. We’ll hang, drink, and party like there’s no work on Monday. (Head’s up, there’s no work on Monday.)

Beyond that -- BEYOND! -- this partnership means that we’ll have a shared Booth Space at most of the big cons. This’ll make meet and greets easier and give you a place to pick up merch at PAXes and what have yous.

I know there’s a lot to take in, and I’m sure you’ll have a lot of questions. I’ll be doing my best to respond to everyone on the various social medias, but the Kinda Funny Forum will be the easiest place to get your questions answered and celebrate with the other best friends.

Kinda Funny is the never ending journey, and I’m so thrilled that you’re along for the ride. Partnering with Rooster Teeth means that some of that pressure I’m always talking about is off of the five of us so that we can focus more on the content you love us for -- and that’s when things get exciting.

Greg

Not really a fan in truth. As long as the main Kinda Funny podcast stays as-is (that's all I really listen to) then I'll be fine personally. Wonder if this will bring about a drop in Patreon money for KFG though.

But yeah, I'd have said that they cater to different crowds. Not sure how this'll work.

The future:
KF_Kinda_Funhaus_800_Art.jpg

ST2K

Just asked if we should expect a ton of RT people in KF stuff now, and Greg said:

No, they won't CONSISTENTLY guest on the content; it'll just be easier when they do. Now that we're family, RT can cover flights and whatnot for that kind of stuff -- when it makes sense. It's not like they will be here every other week. Kinda Funny content is Kinda Funny content.

Give us a few months and let me know how it's going. <3
Greg

I'll remain cautiously optimistic.

EDIT: Does anyone know the history of RT and their sub-brands? Did any of them partner with RT in a similar way before they were bought out?

Does anyone know the history of RT and their sub-brands? Did any of them partner with RT in a similar way before they were bought out?

As far as I'm aware, no. They've grown most of it from ground-up. Inside Gaming / Funhaus was an acquisition, but I don't think they were partnered in any major way before. Also worth noting that Colin is thankfully stubborn, and seems to enjoy being his own boss. He's the one who most wanted out from IGN in the first place.

I don't know much about Rooster Teeth, but I was really turned off from them after their Fallout 4 shenanigans. It was the opposite of how Kinda Funny handles payed sponsorship. They were promoting Fallout 4 for Bethesda (they were all given Pip Boys to wear). The part that really annoyed me was when they bashed negative reviews. The one that really stuck out was them calling out Jeff Gerstmann, who rightly split the PC review from the console reviews, giving the former a 4/5 and the latter a 3/5. I just don't trust any opinion they have after that fiasco. At least with Kinda Funny, they are upfront about sponsored content.

Here is the NeoGAF thread about it, if you are interested: https://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1143005

Top Bottom