• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

There's some weird Kinda Funny opinions over in the Gametrailers thread (starting even before it was known that Brandon would be on the Gamescast). It began with people saying that Colin and Greg do not like Kyle Bosman because he made a joke about Kinda Funny. People talked about that as if it was 100% factual about Colin and Greg. Then today, someone said that the reason Colin did not speak much was because he was still bitter about the Bosman thing and he was refusing to acknowledge the competition. Again, people are treating that as fact.

Colin was not speaking because he hasn't watched GT before and has nothing to add.

Exactly. Colin has said before he is of the belief that talking for talking's sake is disingenuous. If he has nothing significant to add, he won't speak up and use that time to listen intently and learn. Greg has said it's the opposite for him and likes to keep conversations going, even if there's filler (I wonder if that's where his mannerisms, such as "you know what I mean?", "right?", and "da da da..." are born from).

Why are you guys so butthurt everyone says something even remotely negative about Greg and Colin??

Colin was not speaking because he hasn't watched GT before and has nothing to add.

It's really weird that they can ask people to pay money for this content yet Colin can't do a little bit of research before recording the podcast.

Karu

Why are you guys so butthurt everyone says something even remotely negative about Greg and Colin??

It's really weird that they can ask people to pay money for this content yet Colin can't do a little bit of research before recording the podcast.
I'm paying. No problem with me. People should talk if they have something to say, period. Tim filled out the interviewer-role just fine.

I'm paying. No problem with me. People should talk if they have something to say, period. Tim filled out the interviewer-role just fine.

Agreed, Tim did surprisingly good there. But if Colin has nothing to add he really should just sit it out. Or do some research so he can talk about what's being discussed and offer some extra insight, that'd be nice.

Mezoly

Agreed, Tim did surprisingly good there. But if Colin has nothing to add he really should just sit it out. Or do some research so he can talk about what's being discussed and offer some extra insight, that'd be nice.
It's just one topic of the podcast, if he has nothing to add for all topics then he should sit it out. Also I feel researching GT would be a little tough if you haven't seen multitude of their shows you wouldn't understand them properly and it would show that he doesn't get them. Tim didn't do research he has actually watched them and it shows in his questions.

sora87

As I said in the GT thread, Tim did a good job, Colin and Greg don't give a shit, it's quite obvious, and that's fine. Didn't expect anything else from Brandon being there, Tim was always the one who spoke highly of GT.

notaxation

Neo Member

I don't typically know the topics until the morning of recording, and I don't have time to look shit up during the day, nor am I going to for pretty much any subject we talk about. I knew Brandon was coming in, but had no idea we'd focus so much on GameTrailers itself. I'm glad we did, and I enjoyed listening to the conversation, but I had nothing to add. I didn't watch GT, "researching" wouldn't have solved that problem, and I'm not a disingenuous person. I stood out of the way and let Tim do his thing. I learned a lot just by using my ears, which seems to be a novel concept to many.

Tim handled the conversation nicely, and I learned a lot by listening, which people could do a whole lot more of. This fascination with hearing me talk about every single subject ever -- even if I don't know anything about it -- is bizarre. Truly. Can't think of a better word to describe it. So I'll just reiterate. Bizarre.

As I said in the GT thread, Tim did a good job, Colin and Greg don't give a shit, it's quite obvious, and that's fine. Didn't expect anything else from Brandon being there, Tim was always the one who spoke highly of GT.

I did give a shit. So did Greg. We were LISTENING. If we didn't care, we wouldn't have had the guest on. Pretty simple arithmetic.

Otherwise, thanks for watching/listening!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't typically know the topics until the morning of recording, and I don't have time to look shit up during the day, nor am I going to for pretty much any subject we talk about. I knew Brandon was coming in, but had no idea we'd focus so much on GameTrailers itself. I'm glad we did, and I enjoyed listening to the conversation, but I had nothing to add. I didn't watch GT, "researching" wouldn't have solved that problem, and I'm not a disingenuous person. I stood out of the way and let Tim do his thing. I learned a lot just by using my ears, which seems to be a novel concept to many.

Tim handled the conversation nicely, and I learned a lot by listening, which people could do a whole lot more of. This fascination with hearing me talk about every single subject ever -- even if I don't know anything about it -- is bizarre. Truly. Can't think of a better word to describe it. So I'll just reiterate. Bizarre.

I did give a shit. So did Greg. We were LISTENING. If we didn't care, we wouldn't have had the guest on. Pretty simple arithmetic.

Humans in general, with communication, would be improved instantly if we just actually listened more than we spoke. Everyone is so quick to be heard, that they feel the need to say something about anything, even when they do not know jack shit about what they are talking about.

Highly intelligent people, most notably humble people, are some of the best listeners. Knee jerk reactionists... well...

Basically, just because you have nothing to interject, does not mean you do not give a shit, or are not paying attention. Man I loathe the modern conditioning where people are brainwashed into thinking this way.

This fascination with hearing me talk about every single subject ever -- even if I don't know anything about it -- is bizarre. Truly. Can't think of a better word to describe it. So I'll just reiterate. Bizarre.

This made me laugh so hard because it's so true.
i'm part of that crowd 100%

ST2K

There's some weird Kinda Funny opinions over in the Gametrailers thread (starting even before it was known that Brandon would be on the Gamescast). It began with people saying that Colin and Greg do not like Kyle Bosman because he made a joke about Kinda Funny. People talked about that as if it was 100% factual about Colin and Greg. Then today, someone said that the reason Colin did not speak much was because he was still bitter about the Bosman thing and he was refusing to acknowledge the competition. Again, people are treating that as fact.

And this all spins off that one line from a podcast a while ago?

Sheesh. People on the internet are gonna do what they do, I guess.

Choomp

Banned
And this all spins off that one line from a podcast a while ago?

Sheesh. People on the internet are gonna do what they do, I guess.

Yup lol. All it was, honestly was acknowledgement of a joke that was made in jest for the sake of silliness.

Hey Colin, first of all, thanks for taking the time to come here and respond to me and sora87. It's much appreciated and I know I speak for everyone when I say we'd love to have you around these parts more often.

While I can only speak for myself, let me be clear. There's no fascination with hearing you talk about everything, the point is you sat there on camera in a video but didn't contribute anything, which definitely gave a lot of first time watchers who were GT fans the impression you didn't care. That might not be the case, in fact since I've been listening to you guys since 2009, I know that's not the case, but these guys don't. You have the right mentality, there's nothing worse than someone talking just for the sake of talking, but if you have nothing to add to the discussion, no follow up questions for your guest, then you don't need to be there. Remember, the viewers/listeners don't know that you don't know the topics before hand. It's our job to listen, it's your job as one of the hosts of the show to stimulate the discussion. There was definitely a few opportunities for you to pipe in with a follow up question or to relate some of the experiences Brandon was discussing with your own. If you got none of that, then you don't need to be there, maybe you didn't realize that before hand, and that's fine. But you can't fault people for getting the wrong impression. Not every video you make is going to be perfect and nobody is expecting that, but this is the Kinda Funny thread, so we're going to discuss things we like and don't like the same way you guys discuss games on your podcasts.

That would be nice.

I don't see that any time soon unfortunately since Kyle is LA based. As Brandon said, his SF trip was actually planned before the GT closure. Now, if KF teams up with GameSpot again at E3 and interviews guests again, maybe Kyle can show up (hopefully by then, the ex-GT guys will have a plan).

LiK

i'm catching up to the older shows and it turns out Nick is the biggest sexual pervert in the crew. His stories and interests surprised me cuz he sounds so wizened and proper. I dunno, that made me a bigger Nick fan, lol

i'm catching up to the older shows and it turns out Nick is the biggest sexual pervert in the crew. His stories and interests surprised me cuz he sounds so wizened and proper. I dunno, that made me a bigger Nick fan, lol

He had some good comments on Monday's C&GL about his wife's response to some of the things he says.

LiK

What exclusive shows do they have for Patreon subs? I'm tempted to sub if they have good exclusive stuff. Did they ever review Star Wars TFA? I don't see it in the regular shows.

What exclusive shows do they have for Patreon subs? I'm tempted to sub if they have good exclusive stuff. Did they ever review Star Wars TFA? I don't see it in the regular shows.

No exclusive shows...just a Q&A, I believe. You can also pay to get Colin & Greg Live YouTube archives.

If you sub, you get audio/video (depending on contribution) a week early for the full GOG Show and KF Gamescast podcasts.

They did review TFA!

EDIT: I'm dumb...As ST2K says below, you get one exclusive GOG Show on the Kinda Funny Patreon and one exclusive Gamescast on the KFGames Patreon.

ST2K

They have a monthly exclusive show for both GOG and Gamescast. Other stuff is Q&A's and Animated Show features. (February's Pateron-exclusive GOG was fantastic.)

And here's the TFA review.

Their patreon exlusives are longer form podcasts where they concentrate on one topic, one for instance was their craziest roadtrip stories where they filmed it on a roadtrip to LA in their van. Also there should be a force awakens reaction video on their youtube channel.

Cool, thanks guys. I think they've given me enough entertainment that I will sub.

For $1 on either Patreon, you get the monthly exclusive podcasts. For $5 on either Patreon, you get the full audio version of the weekly podcasts early (usually the Thursday before). $10 does the same, but for video. $15 on the Kinda Funny Videos account gets you behind the scenes features of their animated series, whereas $15 on the Kinda Funny Games account gets you the archives of every Colin and Greg Live on YouTube (the Twitch archives disappear after a while). $20 on the both accounts gets you access to their Monthly Q&A's on YouTube (sort of like live video AMA's). After that, there's no more content from them, but incentives for patrons such as raffle tickets, on screen thank yous, and even appearances on the podcasts (I think those are one time only things).

Oh my god, I'm dying. I haven't laughed this hard in months.

Have you thought about updating the original post to this thread? For instance, there is no mention of the animated series, which is a huge thing for them. Also, although it's a window into the past, maybe you should erase the "Today's Content" stuff, as the last time it was updated was June 3rd, just before E3 (some of the content was them reacting to Fallout 4 being unveiled and the Timmy Tommy whiteboard hilarity).

Karu

Ugh next week's Gamescast was a dire listen. Debbie Downer's in the house. :D Personally didn't like the episode at all.

ST2K

Ugh next week's Gamescast was a dire listen. Debbie Downer's in the house. :D Personally didn't like the episode at all.

Yeah, finishing this up now. I've never heard a group of 30-somethings sound so cynical and bored with the hobby. And that's saying something, 'cause I'm a fan of Giant Bomb.

Greg and Tim's stubborn positivity were actually direly needed there, for a change. =P

Volotaire

GDC Schedule this week for Kinda Funny in PT times . GMT times (UK) +7 hours. CET (Parts of Europe) + 8 hours.

TUESDAY, MARCH 15

19:00 - 21:00 - The Indie Game Showcase from Patreon's Mix Party

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 16

10:00 - Severed
10:30 - Ark: Survival
11:00 - Aqua Moto Racing Utopia
11:30 - Square Enix Showcase Interview
12:00 - Rigs Interview
12:30 - Epistory
13:00 - Interview with Chair's Donald Mustard
13:30 - GameOverGreggy Show with Patreon's Jack Conte
15:30 - World to the West
16:00 - Dreams
16:30 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan

THURSDAY, MARCH 17

10:00 - Interview with Oddworld's Lorne Lanning
10:30 - Ron Gilbert and Thimbleweed Park
11:00 - Interview with Mike Bithell
11:30 - Nina Freeman and Cibele
12:00 - Interview with Steve Gaynor
12:30 - Mages of Mystralia, Chasm Demos
13:00 - Nathan Vella and Below
13:30 - The Kinda Funny Gamescast with IGN's Vince Ingenito
15:30 - Alienation
16:00 - Interview with Sony Santa Monica's Shannon Studstill
16:30 - Interview with Cliff Bleszinski

MattyG

Banned
Colin's commentary when Greg leaves in the latest episode of PS I Love You is hysterical. He definitely seems more cheery of late.
He does. This is going to sound weirdly personal and it's a huge assumption, but it seems like he's been more cheery since he started hanging out with Erin. From what I've seen on twitter lately it seems like they're dating, and it looks like they're having fun. I'm glad he found someone that makes him happy.

Top Bottom