• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

styl3s

Colin was an ass the whole episode. I'm sorry Greg and co, I have to cancel my subscription. Affluent straight white male who works in video games has trouble empathizing with why last night is deeply troubling to minorities? Shocker.
I canceled both my Patreons and twitch sub during the stream. Colin was insufferable while Kevin was the only one in the room speaking real truth from the heart and Colin just brushes it off like it's not his problem and he's a straight white male so i guess it isn't his problem. Greg just stays neutral as he always does.

This was a long time coming over the past year.
Colin and Kevin are gonna throw the fuck down
Maybe Kevin can finally make Colin humble.

I'm sorry for being part of this. I hate what this election has done to people I know and the people like Kinda Funny that give me great entertainment and joy

I respect the opinion of all of them and love this community. You guys are all great regardless of where we come down on this.

I hope things can turn around.

graybot

I can live with differing opinions and Colin speaks very well, but if Im being honest I will struggle if all their fans are now overly passionate Trump supporters. I cannot be assocaited with that

I am cancelling my Patreon today

Colin's political views shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

That it was a huge topic today shouldn't be a surprise to anyone..

Cancelling their patron dollars over it is your right but if you disagree then just disagree and move on. Not everyone needs to agree. They had a good discussion and while colin got heated (a little too much) it seemed like at the end they would still have shook hands and seen each other as friends.

Also how many times does colin have to say he isn't a trump supporter? Just because he didn't vote for hillary.. the way that politlical discussion has become so impossible to have without being us vs them is so gross. People saying the whole chat was trump supporters, so if you let them take over, and just abandon any community or media that doesn't agree with you, they will win, and they will take over that community.

I also think that Colin did a good job calling out kevin to give examples of why hillary is qualified and he totally failed to provide any. Meanwhile he spoke from experience as someone from an area she was governor over and could speak to the way people were displeased with her. I think colin could have been a little softer spoken but he made good points about why they lost.

ST2K

I can live with differing opinions and Colin speaks very well, but if Im being honest I will struggle if all their fans are now overly passionate Trump supporters. I cannot be assocaited with that

I am cancelling my Patreon today

I find it difficult to believe that Kinda Funny would attract a Trump crowd, considering not only do none of them support Trump, but the majority of them have called them some variant of racist/sexist/general deplorable.

I suspect that the Trump supporters coming out of the woodwork to rub it in is just standard operating procedure post-election. You saw it a lot in GAF of all places too.

killroy87

Colin's political views shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

That it was a huge topic today shouldn't be a surprise to anyone..

Cancelling their patron dollars over it is your right but if you disagree then just disagree and move on.

Well, for what it's worth I feel like their games content has been pretty lacking lately too, so it's also kind of because of that. I honestly just don't watch/listen to much of their stuff anymore. The games content favors heavily towards the commentary side of things, but they are clearly being stretched so thin with producing all they produce, that I honestly don't think they're as savvy in the industry as they once were (or at least as I would prefer). And that's totally justified and understandable, they only have so much time on their hands, but it's just not the kind of games content I look for, I like a little more depth to the commentary.

I was able to justify supporting them despite not loving the content before, but this kind of made me go "nahhh"

witness

I canceled both my Patreons and twitch sub during the stream. Colin was insufferable while Kevin was the only one in the room speaking real truth from the heart and Colin just brushes it off like it's not his problem and he's a straight white male so i guess it isn't his problem. Greg just stays neutral as he always does.

This was a long time coming over the past year.

Maybe Kevin can finally make Colin humble.

I did the same, I just can't support that behavior financially anymore.

It seems a lot of fans both here, and in the Kinda Funny subreddit are not only unhappy with the past few days, but how the content has been for the past few months. A significant portion of the fanbase seems to be unsatisfied, but I wonder if the guys will even address it. It feels like they only care about those diehard, fanatical fans that kiss up to them.

killroy87

It seems a lot of fans both here, and in the Kinda Funny subreddit are not only unhappy with the past few days, but how the content has been for the past few months. A significant portion of the fanbase seems to be unsatisfied, but I wonder if the guys will even address it. It feels like they only care about those diehard, fanatical fans that kiss up to them.

I mean, if the Patreon isn't going down, they don't have much reason to. But the whole games channel is a barrage of video podcast segments, and the odd Let's Play. Between C&G Live, PSILY, and the Gamescast, I don't know how they expected to keep all that up as high quality content. That's an insane amount of hot takes, and doubly so considering they really don't know or care about the Xbox, Nintendo, or PC side of things at all.

But doesn't he complain about completely negative comments that don't achieve anything? Greg would get loads of tweets and comments saying "Wow, Kinda Funny/Greg/PS I Love You sucks." If you're going to dedicate entire topics on your podcast to denouncing this kind of behaviour it's a little bit in poor taste to then do it yourself.

If he did, than that's going against his view. I remember him more complaining about just being too negative, and how one is more prone to say something when they have a negative thought rather than a positive one, so he just works to be very positive in general on Twitter and stuff. (Which he does very well if you ask me). Plus, no one is perfect. I don't expect anyone to be perfect. I'm not going to get on him for posting one occasional negative tweet about something when it's apparent that he does put in a valiant effort to be positive on Twitter.

Mezoly

I find it difficult to believe that Kinda Funny would attract a Trump crowd, considering not only do none of them support Trump, but the majority of them have called them some variant of racist/sexist/general deplorable.

I suspect that the Trump supporters coming out of the woodwork to rub it in is just standard operating procedure post-election. You saw it a lot in GAF of all places too.

I hope you are right. The twitch chat was /r/the_Donald level of Trump supporters. Also Colin is the only notable conservative personality in games media and he is obviously attracting that crowd.

Mezoly

Colin talking about his exchange with Max Scoville from IGN, sounds like he/they have apologized/come together. Also just generally addressing all of the vitriol that has seemingly come up in the last few days. Very appropriately done and certainly appreciated.

Also, regarding some of the chatter on this thread about the KF community, Greg made this post over on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/kindafunny/comments/5c9fm8/kinda_funny_and_you/

Great post by Greg. But at the same time Colin posted a gloating and shitting over liberals post. Without addressing the fears of people because he is busy jerking himself off. Colin politics and ego became a problem and Greg didn't touch that. So he is ignoring the problem.

Great post by Greg. But at the same time Colin posted a gloating and shitting over liberals post. Without addressing the fears of people because he is busy jerking himself off. Colin politics and ego became a problem and Greg didn't touch that. So he is ignoring the problem.

I think Greg, Nick and Tim all understand the community's issues, but Colin just doesn't give a fuck. Do you think he realises he's actively making the content worse for a huge portion of the audience?

ST2K

As someone who once knew Colin as "the guides guy that shows up and talks LOST on TRL," I think I can say he's gotten more brash since they left IGN. That could be for a dozen different reasons, most of them not flattering. But I don't think the solution is to tell Colin to not talk politics or mute his opinions on them. So what does that leave you? Ordering him to be kinder? How do you do that?

As someone who once knew Colin as "the guides guy that shows up and talks LOST on TRL," I think I can say he's gotten more brash since they left IGN. That could be for a dozen different reasons, most of them not flattering. But I don't think the solution is to tell Colin to not talk politics or mute his opinions on them. So what does that leave you? Ordering him to be kinder? How do you do that?
The only thing to do is vote with your wallet and stop supporting him. If you hit him in the pocketbook maybe he'll lighten up.

But he shouldn't be surprised that people are mad at a guy who has lived in Liberal New York, Boston and San Francisco who is telling minorities to relax.

And don't tweet him, he's just in much of an echo chamber as he claims we are.

Karu

Colin talking about his exchange with Max Scoville from IGN, sounds like he/they have apologized/come together. Also just generally addressing all of the vitriol that has seemingly come up in the last few days. Very appropriately done and certainly appreciated.

Also, regarding some of the chatter on this thread about the KF community, Greg made this post over on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/kindafunny/comments/5c9fm8/kinda_funny_and_you/
Yeah, that's a great post. Good on him.

I wrote this in the (absolutely and hilariously blown-up) thread about whatthefuckisthPROblem... I cancelled my Patreon month ago, because I felt like their unrelenting focus on growth came between them and the content... or something to that effect. Sometimes it is not that easy to describe what exactly changed. But from promo to promo and paid content and this and that... you know, I was out. Still watch episodes of PS I love you and sometimes Gamescast, pretty much always the GoG, just skipping parts without regret. But I am also someone who quits Patreon and says... So what? Won't hurt them, won't hurt me. I will find projects worth investing in on other sites etc.

On Colin: I have no problem with his political views, I think he can be super annoying with his argumentation tactics and line of thoughts and especially how it seems(!) that every other conversation with him ends about being more about him than the topic itself, but eh. And even his ignorant tweets on election night (Danny had good responses to that)... I'm like... okay. Not okay-okay, but they were also Tweets from someone we know fairly well all things considered, so I can put all that into context.
But then... and here it probably gets a bit more problematic... this can affect the content of KF and that's just a bummer. but even than... Colin is the content in many regards so I don't know if you can really change that. Self-censored Colin & Greg Live would just be weird.

Edit: Yeah, those thoughts didn't came out all that coherent, but I hope it's at least a little bit understandable.

Yeah, that's a great post. Good on him.

I wrote this in the (absolutely and hilariously blown-up) thread about whatthefuckisthPROblem... I cancelled my Patreon month ago, because I felt like their unrelenting focus on growth came between them and the content... or something to that effect. Sometimes it is not that easy to describe what exactly changed. But from promo to promo and paid content and this and that... you know, I was out. Still watch episodes of PS I love you and sometimes Gamescast, pretty much always the GoG, just skipping parts without regret. But I am also someone who quits Patreon and says... So what? Won't hurt them, won't hurt me. I will find projects worth investing in on other sites etc.

On Colin: I have no problem with his political views, I think he can be super annoying with his argumentation tactics and line of thoughts and especially how it seems(!) that every other conversation with him ends about being more about him than the topic itself, but eh. And even his ignorant tweets on election night (Danny had good responses to that)... I'm like... okay. Not okay-okay, but they were also Tweets from someone we know fairly well all things considered, so I can put all that into context.
But then... and here it probably gets a bit more problematic... this can affect the content of KF and that's just a bummer. but even than... Colin is the content in many regards so I don't know if you can really change that. Self-censored Colin & Greg Live would just be weird.

Edit: Yeah, those thoughts didn't came out all that coherent, but I hope it's at least a little bit understandable.

I know it'll be a while, but I think the rate (and variety) of content will really pick up when/if they get another on screen person or another Kevin like person. Perhaps that way, they could do concurrent things. Though, as I consume a lot of other content, I actually don't feel underwhelmed by their content output, but understand that others do and hope that changes for them.

ghornett

Neo Member
Im about to be really nitpicky.

I think the politics are fine and topical. Sure Colin could chill out a little but that's not really his style I don't think.

I didn't love all of the Deus Ex sponsored content. There seemed to be soooo much of it.

My biggest complaint though is the KFL2 vid. Tim never got into fantasy movie league despite being a huge movie fan (everyone else did), and traveled to shoot/edit/deliver the wedding video that doesn't even feel like it belongs on the Kinda Funny channel. It only involves Tim and I feel like he carpetbagged (Colin word) it on to the main account for views. I get that we are all busy adults but cmon. If I left a project at work for 6+ months after hyping it to death people would be antsy with me too. Also lack of air horn recently.

ST2K

Tim never got into fantasy movie league despite being a huge movie fan (everyone else did), and traveled to shoot/edit/deliver the wedding video that doesn't even feel like it belongs on the Kinda Funny channel. It only involves Tim and I feel like he carpetbagged (Colin word) it on to the main account for views.

I'll use this as a springboard to say I've always disagreed with Tim's desire to make mass market "viral videos" a core goal of the company. I get that it's his passion and something he's always wanted to do, but you can definitely feel how different things like the Hunter Pence vid and the engagement vid are from the rest of their product. Kinda Funny is a brand built by and for an audience that don't really seem to be super into the general Youtube scene that Tim chases with that stuff. As a result, it feels opportunistic and kind of self-serving. Especially when there's clearly other stuff that seem like they should be obviously prioritised over his latest plan to make a viral hit.

This is not me saying Tim is shitty or anything of the sort, I like Tim and think he should be on more KFG stuff. I just needed to get that off my chest.

killroy87

Sorry, to bring this up again, but I saw this today and just had to say something (and I think only people in this thread will understand.)

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch...eful-harassment-and-intimidation-election-day

So since election day there have been 200 hate crimes reported.

But please Colin, tell minorities from your throne to "relax."

</rant>

I know Colin wouldn't like hearing this (no one likes to hear that their opinion just isn't as valid as some others), but as a straight white affluent male, there are huge elements to this where Colin straight up doesn't have a clue, and no amount of reading or watching the news will give him one. He might say he gets it, like a lot of white people do, compare it to some sort of inherently incomparable turbulence he's had in life, but he doesn't get it. I'm a gay white male in Canada, so while I have dealt with some true bullshit in my life, it doesn't compare to what some minorities in certain parts of the US deal with still. The best he can do is acknowledge that, the worst he can do is be completely ignorant. He's currently leaning more towards the latter.

I know Colin wouldn't like hearing this (no one likes to hear that their opinion just isn't as valid as some others), but as a straight white affluent male, there are huge elements to this where Colin straight up doesn't have a clue, and no amount of reading or watching the news will give him one. He might say he gets it, like a lot of white people do, compare it to some sort of inherently incomparable turbulence he's had in life, but he doesn't get it. I'm a gay white male in Canada, so while I have dealt with some true bullshit in my life, it doesn't compare to what some minorities in certain parts of the US deal with still. The best he can do is acknowledge that, the worst he can do is be completely ignorant. He's currently leaning more towards the latter.
Yeah, I mean he's a straight white dude who grew up in Liberal New York, Liberal Boston and now lives in Liberal San Francisco.

How could he possibly know how minorities should be feeling.

My issue with Colin is that everytime he speaks about "liberals" it feels like he's subtweeting some preppy, middle-class, San Fran, Tumblr activist, which leads to these smug and combative comments. It shows that whether he realises it or not, he's trapped in a bubble too.

He's made alot of points others have all year (lefties in the UK, mainly; largely ignored in the US outside of The Atlantic, Arlie Hochschild, etc), but while stating that there's a lack of empathy shown for poor-whites, he's straight up ignored the objective fact that there's also a lack of empathy shown by poor-whites for minorities when they vote this way, in-spite of the hate spewed by someone he himself has called a "bigot". It's a very one-sided take and makes his condescension much worse than he probably intends, all because he's so intent on making a point to "preppy San Fran liberal" rather than acknowledging "scared Oakland minority".

FWIW, I'm a former-Beyond listener who moved onto PS-xoxo.

My issue with Colin is that everytime he speaks about "liberals" it feels like he's subtweeting some preppy, middle-class, San Fran, Tumblr activist, which leads to these smug and combative comments. It shows that whether he realises it or not, he's trapped in a bubble too.

He's made alot of points others have all year (lefties in the UK, mainly; largely ignored in the US outside of The Atlantic, Arlie Hochschild, etc), but while stating that there's a lack of empathy shown for poor-whites, he's straight up ignored the objective fact that there's also a lack of empathy shown by poor-whites for minorities when they vote this way, in-spite of the hate spewed by someone he himself has called a "bigot". It's a very one-sided take and makes his condescension much worse than he probably intends, all because he's so intent on making a point to "preppy San Fran liberal" rather than acknowledging "scared Oakland minority".

FWIW, I'm a former-Beyond listener who moved onto PS-xoxo.

Yeah I am a patreon supporter and listen to PS I love you XOXO. And I am considering stopping due to the way Colin has acted. Problem is I still really like Greg, Tim and Nick but eh.

I'm afraid the PS I Love You thread is gonna close, because the posters (that I've never seen comment on Kinda Funny content before) from the closed PS4 Pro thread are now starting to show up in the PS I Love You thread. If that closes, I fear for this thread.

Mezoly

I'm afraid the PS I Love You thread is gonna close, because the posters (that I've never seen comment on Kinda Funny content before) from the closed PS4 Pro thread are now starting to show up in the PS I Love You thread. If that closes, I fear for this thread.

After the late last night migration to that thread, it seems it has calmed down a bit and the title of that PS I Love You thread isn't as inflammatory as the one got closed. So it wouldn't encourage people just to come and post.

Maximo

Hopefully not understand people have some concerns and complaints which some are valid, but tensions are high and it's at least to me noticeably leaking into threads and some looking for someone to argue with.

mdubs

Banned
I think a lot of the issues stemming from Colin's political views just stems from the fact that there isn't anyone to really enter into dialogue on the same level as him and challenge him to consider other perspective in a strongly-backed way that he will engage with. He has a lot of background knowledge of political history and such (which is why I really enjoy listening to him) and just needs someone on the other side of the spectrum who can bring say the perspective of a minority who can join that conversation so it doesn't come off to people as him dominating. The twitter grandstanding is a little bit much, but I mean everyone was running hot on after Tuesday night. While not exactly that, I wish that Jared Petty could be on the show more as a side note.

It's mostly people who don't even follow just cruising on in to crap on them rather than people who actually have a legitimate complaint about the PS4 Pro thing. We all know here that they don't do technical analysis or care for graphics, and I think the expectations of the people who actually follow are in check. I mean, their comments on the PS4 Pro if they got one would amount to "the graphics are great!". I really don't blame them for not engaging here considering the way they get dogpiled in every thread about them outside of this one. It's a really negative vibe that doesn't jibe with the positive community and interactions they are trying to have so I think it's within their right to not engage here

So, two things. 1: Gankstrr (aka Gen, aka Greg's girlfriend) is in town (along with Greg's mom) and she was planning to cook dinner for her, Greg's mom, and Greg. Shuhei Yoshida is in town and was asking if anyone from Kinda Funny to meet up for drinks. Instead, they invited Shu to join them for said dinner and it seems he accepted the invitation. 2: Gen, in a tweet, referred to Greg's mom as her Mother-In-Law. Hmmmm....

As for Shu visiting, I hope they show him the studio. And pics. We need pics!

killroy87

So, two things. 1: Gankstrr (aka Gen, aka Greg's girlfriend) is in town (along with Greg's mom) and she was planning to cook dinner for her, Greg's mom, and Greg. Shuhei Yoshida is in town and was asking if anyone from Kinda Funny to meet up for drinks. Instead, they invited Shu to join them for said dinner and it seems he accepted the invitation. 2: Gen, in a tweet, referred to Greg's mom as her Mother-In-Law. Hmmmm....

Haha thats a really intrusive, borderline creepy update you got there. Is there a big demand to know Greg's weekend plans with his gf?

Uh, what? He's just getting that from what any one of Greg's followers on twitter can see. The point is there's some speculation going around that Greg and Gen might be getting married soon because of the mother-in-law comment.

I lol'd at Shu's response.

RbhHPWG.png

Mezoly

Also it relates to what people were saying that there was some fallout with Sony because of not sending them a Pro. So the tweets indicates that it's all good. Plus Twitter is public and Greg retweets all of those things to his followers so they could see them anyway.

Don't read anything into that mother-in-law comment. My girlfriend and I regular refer to each others parents as our mother or father in-law despite being a ways away from being married.

Haha thats a really intrusive, borderline creepy update you got there. Is there a big demand to know Greg's weekend plans with his gf?

Uh, what? He's just getting that from what any one of Greg's followers on twitter can see. The point is there's some speculation going around that Greg and Gen might be getting married soon because of the mother-in-law comment.

I lol'd at Shu's response.

Yeah, my post was more about Shu coming to the apartment, than it was about Gen cooking dinner. If not the for Shu part, I would not have even considered posting the dinner plans tweets. I think this is the first time Shu has been to Colin and Greg's apartment. I wonder how close they live to the KF Studio. I'd love to see him check it out. As for the mother-in-law bit, that was more tongue in cheek. I assume she left out the word future, and even then, I assume it was meant as a joke. Heck, even a while back she tweeted a joke about the future children of her and Greg, and we all know Greg's gone on record as saying he does not want children.

So, I was listening to this weeks live Giant Bombcast and they had a bit of news that makes it seem like the PSN name changes are coming. I'm paraphrasing here, but it sounds like the way PSN looks up accounts is changing and they speculate that with PSX coming in mere weeks that there will be a PSN Name Change announcement there. Hail Shuhei!

More on that here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1314948&highlight=psn

I hope it's announced at the PS I Love You XOXO panel and Greg says to Shuhei, "Please, Shuhei, let us change our names!" and Shu would respond with "Alright".

Top Bottom