• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

The replies to Colin from Adam are pretty good too.

edit: Colin replied and now it's getting heated. hoho

Heated? To me, heated would mean there would be nastiness between the two parties. This is just a real, respectful debate. The way debates should be. It actually ended quite respectfully (it probably helps they know each other personally), even with Adam saying on Twitter to another user how much he respects Colin. If all that had differing opinions could act like that, the world would be a better place.

Edit- Also, congrats to Greg for being named to co-host the D.I.C.E. Awards with Jessica Chobot. Those awards are probably the Oscars of the video game world.

I really don’t understand Colin’s overall point of this. He’s saying that there are a ton of shit games available on every platform, but doesn’t explain what that’s a bad thing in the long run. So bad games get released, and people (most of the time) don’t play/buy them. Who cares?

He says “the stores need to be held accountable for the quality”, but doesn’t explain why. Any band, no matter how good or bad, can get their music on iTunes and Spotify. And I don’t know what the process for getting a movie on iTunes is, but considering how many new films flood it each weak (and how low budget some of them clearly are), it doesn’t appear to be a herculean task either.

The idea of a “Quality Committee” is truly terrible, and something I would actively think is a bad move. He himself stated that he believes good games will eventually find an audience, so what’s the problem?

He really won't give this argument up will he? How does limiting what goes on the store benefit anybody in any way shape of form? How does it even effect Colin to make him so furious that he brings it up every week on PS I Love You? I bet he doesn't even look through the store, except to go to the code redeem section.

I don't agree with his video at all -- you should definitely let the market decide and the financials will play out.

Not sure how people are inferring Adam Boyes is ripping him a new one. I agree with him but the conversation ended pretty respectfully...

killroy87

He really won't give this argument up will he? How does limiting what goes on the store benefit anybody in any way shape of form? How does it even effect Colin to make him so furious that he brings it up every week on PS I Love You? I bet he doesn't even look through the store, except to go to the code redeem section.

It boggles the mind that Colin would complain about this, but also have a segment on PS I Love You dedicated to reading the press blasts for every new release. I can't imagine a single listener finds that worthwhile.

It boggles the mind that Colin would complain about this, but also have a segment on PS I Love You dedicated to reading the press blasts for every new release. I can't imagine a single listener finds that worthwhile.

I think that segment was born out of the idea of making fun of press releases that were clearly not checked for grammatical mistakes, but as of late, they seem to be fine (grammatically speaking). So that sort of defeats the intent of the segment.

I think that segment was born out of the idea of making fun of press releases that were clearly not checked for grammatical mistakes, but as of late, they seem to be fine (grammatically speaking). So that sort of defeats the intent of the segment.

No, that segment was born out of them wanting to read out every game coming to Sony consoles for the week. It wasn't until later that they started moaning about grammar of the write ups (many of which probably weren't written by a native English speaker).

I haven't bought a Nintendo console since Gamecube in 2002 and the last Nintendo system of any kind I bought was GBA SP and Gameboy Player in 2003. I only ever really was compelled to purchase a Wii due to Virtual Console and Super Mario Maker was the game that made me consider a Wii U. But I am so excited about Switch. The console/hybrid concept is something that's intrigued me ever since seeing PS4/Vita connectivity and the Wii U with its offscreen play on the tablet. I hope it pans out for them! And I hope the price is attractive. Though even if it is priced well, it'd be a while before I'd even buy one, since I got a PSVR at launch (and don't regret it).

were's that excitement now

:(

Nah I'm not that sad. As long as it ends up being good and cheaper sometime down the line, I'll get it. I'm actually glad I don't feel urged to buy it any time soon. I have other gaming stuff to focus on for a while lol.

RoKKeR

Man, Tim seems genuinely crushed. Sucks, but they bungled that reveal and seemingly are not set up to hit the ground running at launch.

Also agree with Colin... it "feels" like the WiiU. Going to be a huge wave of sales at launch, and then will fall off a cliff until there are big reasons to pick one up. We'll see.

It's funny the Switch boxes are the same shape as PSP boxes. I wonder if they're the same size. I mean, they can't be all that big as the game cartridges have to be small, considering half of this system is a handheld.

Officially unsubscribed to all of Kinda Funny's channels tonight. Not even a Nintendo fan and had tons of issues with their presentation, but I just don't vibe with Gregg, Colin, or Tim anymore at all. Their content just isn't for me

ST2K

Officially unsubscribed to all of Kinda Funny's channels tonight. Not even a Nintendo fan and had tons of issues with their presentation, but I just don't vibe with Gregg, Colin, or Tim anymore at all. Their content just isn't for me

Yeah, don't blame you. I'll probably keep watching to some extent since I've been following Greg for almost 10 years at this point and I still enjoy GoG, but I definitely feel a weird pall covering KF over the last few months. Hope they pull out of it eventually.

-----

Switch coverage was solid. Tim reflects what I feel pretty much, except for his fixation on a Direct being a better idea for this event.

Choomp

Banned

I think I still love and sympathize with Greg and Colin overall, but I can't say I don't see where all these people down on KF are coming from. It's a shame, I really like them as people from what I've seen over the years

That being said, Colin's reaction was like 75 percent spot on imo. I was encouraged about Nintendo's realization about where the best direction was after the October reveal, but now it feels a lot like the Wii U

Yeah, don't blame you. I'll probably keep watching to some extent since I've been following Greg for almost 10 years at this point and I still enjoy GoG, but I definitely feel a weird pall covering KF over the last few months. Hope they pull out of it eventually.

Yeah it is what it is. It does't mean much, as their views and like / dislike ratio are very high, but they just aren't for me. I honestly feel like they are becoming the gaming equivalent of Buzzfeed

Karu

Reaction video was very apt, I thought. Liked it a lot. I dont believe Colin for a second that he will play Mario though. Well, I at least believe that he believes it. :D

PepperedHam

A lot to be concerned about with KF these days but I thought their reaction video was good. But I guess it depends what side of the fence you're on when it comes to the Switch. Even then it shouldn't matter. They all made good points and spoke to how I feel about the presentation.

Tim was definitely crushed. His reaction to the controller price, ouch.

ghornett

Neo Member
I enjoyed that stream last night. Every one went into it with high hopes and it was such a ride to the bottom lol. Colin just laughing when they started to introduce 1,2 Switch channeled my feelings perfect. Tim couldn't have been more spot on with reactions. I got so excited when they were taking about getting in on the ground level of a new trophy system HA! Both guys sounding in on it, only to have the opposite come true in the end. I feel like we all agree on something!!

I hope they (Nintendo) can turn some of the tide today.

LiK

Watching the Switch reaction archive and the disappointment from Greg and Colin are palpable.

Heated? To me, heated would mean there would be nastiness between the two parties. This is just a real, respectful debate. The way debates should be. It actually ended quite respectfully (it probably helps they know each other personally), even with Adam saying on Twitter to another user how much he respects Colin. If all that had differing opinions could act like that, the world would be a better place.

Edit- Also, congrats to Greg for being named to co-host the D.I.C.E. Awards with Jessica Chobot. Those awards are probably the Oscars of the video game world.

Yup, they're trying to maintain civility but you can tell they're holding back outta respect for each other. If they were speaking to anyone else, I bet Colin and Adam would be harder on each other. So yes, it was heated but with cute emojiis.

I still enjoy their regular content but I had to unsub from Patreon cuz I'm just not interested in the early/exclusive stuff anymore. Got enough shows to watch for days.

Watching the Switch reaction archive and the disappointment from Greg and Colin are palpable.

Yup, they're trying to maintain civility but you can tell they're holding back outta respect for each other. If they were speaking to anyone else, I bet Colin and Adam would be harder on each other. So yes, it was heated but with cute emojiis.

I still enjoy their regular content but I had to unsub from Patreon cuz I'm just not interested in the early/exclusive stuff anymore. Got enough shows to watch for days.

Perhaps. Even if true, that's the way debates should always be handled. Can't wait for when Adam visits them. Sounds like it will be GDC. Round 2, perhaps?

Edit- Tim's recorded live reactions of the conference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lefcMKkFqQ

ironmang

Perhaps. Even if true, that's the way debates should always be handled. Can't wait for when Adam visits them. Sounds like it will be GDC. Round 2, perhaps?

Edit- Tim's recorded live reactions of the conference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lefcMKkFqQ

Damn, just skipped around Tim's video a bit and he looks so depressed. If I just watched the presentation without the KF coverage making me laugh I probably would have had the same expressions. I went from 100% preordering to likely holding off until fall 2018 or later if at all. Using the same shitty online that's missing voice chat then charging for it is nonsense.

Choomp

Banned
Yeah, Tim seems genuinely upset, even though I kind of get the feeling he's selling it for the sake of making it a bigger deal, although I agree with a lot of his concerns, but more of what Colin said regarding it.

I went into the Switch Press Conference optimistic since the Switch is the kind of console I want from Ninty, a hybrid with a growing catalog of games from their mobile and console devs along with some Japanese third-parties. Out of what they announced (not counting sizzle reels) I'm interested in buying everything except 1-2-Switch and Octopus Gorganzola. The rest of the game's looks great, fun and exciting.

I watched both KF reactions and yeah, can't say I found much entertainment. Just some grumpy dudes.

One part that sticks out to me is ARMS. As soon as the title is shown Colin goes "I want to like this thing why are you doing this?!" -- because for some reason the game being called ARMS somehow detracts from the quality of the game or the Switch.

Personally I find KF to be one of the most close-minded groups in games media. None of them leave their bubble or their comfort zone. They disregard a majority of Japanese titles and come off really abrasive at time. THAT SAID, I have no problem with negative or more critical opinions. I follow GiantBomb who are known for getting flack for their reactions to E3. I feel like they have more perspective and more varied opinions.

Honestly I don't see myself following much of KindaFunny anymore. This isn't solely because of the Switch streams it's been a feeling I've had for a few months now honestly. My hope is that they finally hire some extra people to their team to bring different perspectives because the dynamic they have now is only good when they talk about the handful of games they're into. GiantBomb or EasyAllies do a much better job of giving me more variety when it comes to talking about games.

Also Tim's reaction feels pretty fake at points. Almost as if he's playing it up for attention. Like, "Look at Nintendo Superfan Tim being crushed by the horrible Nintendo Switch conference!" Then again I feel like a lot of things with him are more disingenuous and lean more on his ego, like the #GetTimOnEllen nonsense and the fact he doesn't seem to actually play most games he's "so excited for" for more than like 2-3 hours.

Maximo

Also Tim's reaction feels pretty fake at points. Almost as if he's playing it up for attention. Like, "Look at Nintendo Superfan Tim being crushed by the horrible Nintendo Switch conference!" Then again I feel like a lot of things with him are more disingenuous and lean more on his ego, like the #GetTimOnEllen nonsense and the fact he doesn't seem to actually play most games he's "so excited for" for more than like 2-3 hours.

Yeah I didn't get that feeling at all but to each his own I guess.

Me either. I also thought their switch reactions were completely fine, and I think their points and views on it are very reasonable. I agreed with a lot of what they were saying so I guess I wasn't watching it with the air of "how could they be so down on this thing".

Me either. I also thought their switch reactions were completely fine, and I think there points and views on it are very reasonable. I agreed with a lot of what they were saying so I guess I wasn't watching it with the air of "how could they be so down on this thing".

And maybe it would be different if they were an outlier, but most places I saw were not exactly super high on the thing. Even Easy Allies, which is usually a very optimistic place was down on it.

Main thing I disagree with them on Switch wise is I really like the name of the controllers. (Joy-Cons) I don't know what the consensus is on that but I haven't seen anyone else hate on the name.

sora87

Jeez the Nintendo apologists have been out in full force. I cannot understand how anyone would have enjoyed that conference.

There were some hype games introduced but largely it was forgettable, the real clusterfuck has been the fall out afterwards with all the OS and smartphone bullshit etc.

There were some hype games introduced but largely it was forgettable, the real clusterfuck has been the fall out afterwards with all the OS and smartphone bullshit etc.

I think my problem was the over emphasis on waggle controls. It's Wii all over again. The Switch seemed really great on it's own. I personally don't care about the joy cons turning into mini controllers and would've been perfectly fine with the joy cons simply existing to slide out of the handheld unit and into the Switch controller and have no other functionality (like waggle control). I really hoped the games themselves would have no control gimmick (except maybe some touch screen stuff on the handheld unit). Just traditional games. Now, I should say, I really am enjoying VR, which some call a gimmick. So maybe I'm being a bit hypocritical here, but I felt a little let down when everything seems to feel like Wii again. The Wii crowd moved on to iOS/Android. Maybe Nintendo should move on too.

I do think the ability to use the handheld unit as a portable display (with the kickstand to hold it up) is an awesome idea, though I couldn't imagine using the joy cons with it. I would most certainly want a Switch Pro controller.

killroy87

I think my problem was the over emphasis on waggle controls. It's Wii all over again. The Switch seemed really great on it's own. I personally don't care about the joy cons turning into mini controllers and would've been perfectly fine with the joy cons simply existing to slide out of the handheld unit and into the Switch controller and have no other functionality (like waggle control). I really hoped the games themselves would have no control gimmick (except maybe some touch screen stuff on the handheld unit). Just traditional games. Now, I should say, I really am enjoying VR, which some call a gimmick. So maybe I'm being a bit hypocritical here, but I felt a little let down when everything seems to feel like Wii again. The Wii crowd moved on to iOS/Android. Maybe Nintendo should move on too.

I do think the ability to use the handheld unit as a portable display (with the kickstand to hold it up) is an awesome idea, though I couldn't imagine using the joy cons with it. I would most certainly want a Switch Pro controller.

Weren't there just two motion games shown?

killroy87

I know he said he was posting a vote (to see if people wanted him to do the next one on the Switch) - I'm assuming that it was a resounding "yes"?

Yeah. I can't imagine he thought they would actually vote no lol

Considering he said Jim Sterling was such a big inspiration for his content, it'll be interesting to see them both tackle the same subject in the same week, just to see how their styles differ.

Yeah. I can't imagine he thought they would actually vote no lol

Considering he said Jim Sterling was such a big inspiration for his content, it'll be interesting to see them both tackle the same subject in the same week, just to see how their styles differ.

Maybe. But it was smart of him to have the poll. That way, if people criticize him for doing another Switch video so soon, he can (and rightly so) show he was just following the results of the poll.

Also, here's Jim's video: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1334621.

Choomp

Banned
I finally got around to watching the GOG bit in response to the election of Trump. Tim's take on the situation might be the best piece of discourse I've heard regarding anything coming from 2016. He's matured into a great podcaster and commentator, it's really cool to see.

Karu

Oh god @ Tim trying to stay positive at the end of his Fire Emblem Direct video but being obviously chrushed by AndroidFirst was a little bit hilarious. A little bit of humble pie for the Apple crowd outthere can't be that bad once in a while... 8)

*desperately wants to play SMR*

Agreed. I loved Jim's "what they've fucked up so far" video, so I'm interested to see what kind of approach Colin takes.

Top Bottom