• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV - Demo Impressions thread (out now, free)

tzare

Thanks @BadWolf @shadow_shogun @Neoxon

Great to hear the final game will support PS3 sticks, missed that info . Day one. Can't wait to play the demo when i get home

raven777

Dear God SNK.

CnvmKRdVIAY6DrL.jpg

she is clearly based on Kyary Pamyu Pamyu

6056738120_47cc9aa438_b.jpg

So a quick question. Am I correct that there's two ways to do a super special move?

1. Trigger max mode and press the directions + LP or HP for example.

2. Don't trigger max mode, but instead after the directions press both LP and HP simultaneously for the same move.

Are all the super specials identical regardless how they're triggered?

If so then basically the max mode is only required for EX specials, right?

Demo is friggin awesome btw :)

BadWolf

So a quick question. Am I correct that there's two ways to do a super special move?

1. Trigger max mode and press the directions + LP or HP for example.

2. Don't trigger max mode, but instead after the directions press both LP and HP simultaneously for the same move.

Are all the super specials identical regardless how they're triggered?

If so then basically the max mode is only required for EX specials, right?

Demo is friggin awesome btw :)

Yeah, once you are in max mode any super you do will be an ex super and will cost one additional power bar.

Outside of max mode you do an EX super via pressing LP+HP or LK+HK when doing the motion.

Both methods cost two power bars in total.

Max mode gives you access to EX moves and also allows you to combo in more ways. For example Kim can't combo after his overhead usually but activating max mode after the overhead will let him do a combo.

Yeah, once you are in max mode any super you do will be an ex super and will cost one additional power bar.

Outside of max mode you do an EX super via pressing LP+HP or LK+HK when doing the motion.

Both methods cost two power bars in total.

Max mode gives you access to EX moves and also allows you to combo in more ways. For example Kim can't combo after his overhead usually but activating max mode after the overhead will let him do a combo.

Got it! Thank you :)

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
So how does the game feel to everyone that's played? In regards to speed, smoothness of gameplay, etc.

Reminds me a lot of one of the 2D KOFs. They did a pretty good job of retaining the feel of the older games in that regard. Initially the game felt a bit stiff, but then it hit me that this is how KOF can feel in comparison to Street Fighter, which I've been playing entirely too much of lately. The characters have different weights to them and the game play is very smooth. All of the characters I tried felt great and it's awesome seeing more unique characters like Nelson in there (even though he's totally like someone out of Buriki One or like Angel). Feels like a breath of fresh air.

I'm looking forward to this game quite a bit. Hope they don't fuck up the netcode, because that will kill it for me...and they have an unfortunate history of having issues outside of their PC ports.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Still fast and smooth. Jumps got slightly slowed down unfortunately but not to the extent I was worried about and hop pressure is still real.

Slower jumps is a very good thing. Makes anti-airing easier, which in turn puts more emphasis on ground game and footsies.

Slower jumps is a very good thing. Makes anti-airing easier, which in turn puts more emphasis on ground game and footsies.

Better normals for anti-airing already accomplish that even with fast jumps. KOF neutral game isn't just SF footsies.
I am not in favor of things that allow/encourage more reactionary play in general. Players unfamiliar with KOF should feel overwhelmed when trying to react too much. I'm just glad XIV doesn't take it as far as I feared.

BadWolf

I'm looking forward to this game quite a bit. Hope they don't fuck up the netcode, because that will kill it for me...and they have an unfortunate history of having issues outside of their PC ports.

Netcode is really my only concern with the final release, they have hit all the right notes otherwise.

Fingers crossed.

Tizoc

I haven't used Tutorial yet but I have no idea how MAX Mode works in this game @_@
Also you can cancel supers into other supers in this game now?

Still fast and smooth. Jumps got slightly slowed down unfortunately but not to the extent I was worried about and hop pressure is still real.

Yeah the jumps seemed a little slow to me based on footage I've watched good to hear it isn't too bad and that hop pressure is still good.

Reminds me a lot of one of the 2D KOFs. They did a pretty good job of retaining the feel of the older games in that regard. Initially the game felt a bit stiff, but then it hit me that this is how KOF can feel in comparison to Street Fighter, which I've been playing entirely too much of lately. The characters have different weights to them and the game play is very smooth. All of the characters I tried felt great and it's awesome seeing more unique characters like Nelson in there (even though he's totally like someone out of Buriki One or like Angel). Feels like a breath of fresh air.

It seems a bit stiff just from watching streams and whatnot but I am not sure if that was just an animation issue. I am also worried about the netcode as well. Hopefully the learned their lesson from the past 2 console releases to put focus on it. Hopefully the switch to a new engine also gave the ability to do the netcode right this time.

grendelrt

Love NeoGeo/SNK games, but fuck the arcade layout forever.

What? 4 button layout across fits all fingers perfectly, I find it much easier than a 6 button layout with 3 and 3. The 2 and 2 layout isnt terrible, but i much prefer the 4 in a row.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So, how many playing the Demo are actually fighting other people on it? I love the fact it has actual local VS, with all the proper bells and whistles. Been playing it VS my brother quite a bit after the early NZ download yesterday.

I love seeing how all the deeply practiced stuff falls to pieces when put into real combat, lol. I've done Nelson's bolting-to-each-side uppercut juggles 10s of times in training, but in battle, where my start of combo isn't 100% at the absolute closest each time, I find the changes in distance to throw a lot of stuff off just a tad.

KOD's design is great for someone like me, who always wants to fight his opponent. The proper reads make him feel like a fortress, and his swipes are a surprisingly good anti-air that generally SPIKES the opponent into the entire attack mess, which is nice. I also see him messing completely with all my full jump attacks, as his CD body splash seems to have stupid amounts of priority, eating up any other distanced leap I try to throw at him.

Shun'Ei seems so much like a character that should basically always be in MAX mode. His glowy hands have loads of laggy attack boxes, meaning they'll stay out and hit people that try to roll or hop to get closer. He also seems to recover surprisingly fast on his moves; it's like he's begging to get hit on STARTUP, and if you miss that window, he's basically ok. His cr.B, cr.A confirms last for days, and have solid ranges. I love the fact that, much like Andy's Zan'ei Ken in XIII, his qcb+p can be used as a good way to chase people after blowbacks. Oh, and speaking of, his ground CD is pretty great. Freaky fake hop attack that causes a wallsplat, which he can EASILY follow up on in a variety of ways...

Sylvie is a Troll. BIDIBIBIBI is a weird move in that it actually only seems to have a ground-level attack box. While you'd think this arch of electricity would be a wall for it's entire crackling area, it's more like a punish to horrible jumps, that opponents have to land on to be countered by. She actually get's really nice damage out of her rdp+k, and I feel like a lot of her meterless damage is suppose to come from punishing people who expect to hop-hit her BIDIBIDIBIIII, but instead run into said rdp.

Her most useful confirms come off light attacks. She can combo lights into either command normal, but can only combo without MAX mode out of one of them, and only at absolutely intimate ranges. The trade of to this is that her f+A is a command normal that not only serves as a nice anti-air, but it's one of few non-overhead c.normals that you can cancel like a normal move on any hit. Thus AA-ing and having people fall into BIDIBIDIBIII is a great pester tool.

And she's all about being a pest. If you really want to do damage with her, instead of using her simply as a battery, I feel like qcf x2+K super, Advanced canceled into qcf x2+PP EX super is your best (expensive) friend. the P SDM also OTGs, so just going into that after a wallsplat CD can be great to.

He CD is pretty nice too, since it jumps lows well. Hop CD into Stand CD, fish for those wallsplats aggressively! I doesn't have much forward movement, though, so you really have to hit the hurt boxes the opponent kindly sends your way from bad pokes.

My favorite jump / hop normal for her is B. It stays out kinda long, and is the only one of hers that seems to have the potential to cross-up, though it's picky.

I think her CDM would be BUSTED if she had quick, teleport / mixup style movements. As it is, it's an expensive way to either combo out of CD wallsplats into MORE combo after it hits, or a great way to set up not-so-confusing ground crossup / control pressure.

Overall, I quite like her, though her gameplay betrays many of my KoF expectations, lol.

Oh, and characters generally seem to have 2 Winposes, by the way. Sylvie has her dance, and then one where she screams into her Megaphone (Not even the one where she sits with the Megaphone, as seen in her reveal trailer... so she might have a 3rd?)

There are no taunts, but it's not for a lack of personality; SDM startups, MAX activation, Dizzy animations, and even Dizzy recovery animations are all full of personality. There's even unique animations for whiffing DMs or certain specials.

Also, I noticed the characters are all spouting generic win quotes in the demo; Kyo and Iori don't even say anything specific to each other.

BadWolf

Oh, and characters generally seem to have 2 Winposes, by the way. Sylvie has her dance, and then one where she screams into her Megaphone (Not even the one where she sits with the Megaphone, as seen in her reveal trailer... so she might have a 3rd?)

I think I saw the third one during a time out, may have been a loss animation.

Thanks for the character impressions, tried Sylvie just briefly yesterday and spent most of my time with Nelson. Will be delving deeper with her today.

Moofers

I played a handful of rounds on my lunchbreak and I have to say I really dig it. I like the stages (except for yet another damn grid/training stage but I know why those exist) the music seems alright and the character designs are all pretty cool aside from the dumb magician moe one. I don't understand that one at all but that's okay. They don't all have to be for me.

Anyway, pretty sure I'm down for the steelbook version of this with the soundtrack. Looking real good!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I played a handful of rounds on my lunchbreak and I have to say I really dig it. I like the stages (except for yet another damn grid/training stage but I know why those exist) the music seems alright and the character designs are all pretty cool aside from the dumb magician moe one. I don't understand that one at all but that's okay. They don't all have to be for me.

Anyway, pretty sure I'm down for the steelbook version of this with the soundtrack. Looking real good!
Already preordered the digital edition, but will double dip if i find the steelbook version :3

Sayad

Very first match of versus after downloading the demo I lost almost half my HP to a couple of combos from the AI. I'M TRYING TO FIGURE OUT SPECIALS.

AI avoid every single Mai slow fireball by rolling through it, every slow fan fireball is a free roll punish if you do it from a range that allow you to punish the roll. Hopefully, this is a work in progress AI.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Thank you for the link OP. I was on the verge of throwing my stick at the tv trying to find this thing on PSN.

Top Bottom