• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV - Demo Impressions thread (out now, free)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I think I saw the third one during a time out, may have been a loss animation.

Yup, think you're right. I wonder if the "Special Intros" we see in arcade will be unlocked for VS matches afterwards? (assuming what they call special intros is the same thing we think about.) It'd be a nice way to make sure they're seen once by everyone, even the people that skip them in VS.

Thanks for the character impressions, tried Sylvie just briefly yesterday and spent most of my time with Nelson. Will be delving deeper with her today.

NP. I'm spending more time with Nelson than I would if this were the full game, and it's kinda nice seeing such a boxer in play.

Lmao at the hardest difficulty AI, makes SFV's survival mode AI seem well designed.

Hm? We - wait, I'll read your next reply first, lol.

Very first match of versus after downloading the demo I lost almost half my HP to a couple of combos from the AI. I'M TRYING TO FIGURE OUT SPECIALS.

The default AI is actually kinda dumb in an arc. (difficulty 3). They start off just taking blows and letting you punch them... but then by the 2nd or 3rd character, they start throwing out pretty nice meter-filled combos on their own. There's actually 5 difficulties in options, if you want to change it, too.

AI avoid every single Mai slow fireball by rolling through it, every slow fan fireball is a free roll punish if you do it from a range that allow you to punish the roll. Hopefully, this is a work in progress AI.

I just went about 5 rounds with hardest AI.

Characters that had moves to go through things, or that were good VS options at distance (like Iori's leaping swipe) used them at nice ranges to get advantages (I've never seen a player use that move so aggressively to out-footsie lows!) King of Dino's wanted to try his best to abuse roll -> throw for every fireball attempt, until he got meter, and stated using EX throws from that range. I like how he psychic anti-air'd my hope, and followed up with some nasty swipes. And he even did an advance cancel combo on me...

I actually like the AI to have a few obvious flaws, as long as they also eventually start to play differently, once you're expected to get used to those flaws. I was actually able to get Iori to start whiff punishing all my blocked jump in's with DPs to hit the expected ground pokes... and then once I stopped the pokes, he'd still DP, giving me a free punish.

I also saw Kyo doing varied meter strength combos, and even MAX cancelling, which was nice. There was also a lot of run up, stop at close range weak attack into specials from the CPU, and Mai was using all her anti-air options (even using Kagero-no-Mai to stop crossups).

I found it a nice mix of "CPU is reading my movements" and "CPU is obviously using player / developer strategies", which I found a lot better than SFV's basically strategic-less, combo-less drivel.

First time playing KOF. The four button layout is definitely something that will take some getting used to. Definitely easier on pad for me at the moment

That auto combo LP thing is actually pretty awesome. As someone who generally struggles with combos it at least gives me something I know I can always use if I get in.

Slaythe

Yeah impossible to go from Xrd to this.

I'm sorry =( . Don't like the flow of combat nor the artstyle. Also not a fan of the combo system.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I forgot to try my PS3 stick with this. Any word if the legacy controllers will work on the final game?
Demo doesnt support it but the release version will.

This should be on the OP. lol

No Terry playable in the demo? WTF, SNK.
You got some classics Kyo, Iori, Mai and some new ones: Sylvie, Nelson, Shun-ei, King of Dinosaurs

I forgot to try my PS3 stick with this. Any word if the legacy controllers will work on the final game?

The confirmed that it will support them at release.

I'm sorry =( . Don't like the flow of combat nor the artstyle. Also not a fan of the combo system.

It's hard to go from Xrd and airdashers to most games if you only prefer that style.

mollipen

If you want the proper NeoGeo experience it's:
A B C D
X X X X

Shame I can't use it since it's an Xbox 360 stick. But really, LP HP top row LK HK bottom row is the better way to do it. *shrugs*

kofstick.jpg

Played the demo... I don't like it.

The graphics whilst clean looking and very average. Everything has a generic look to it and the game has no visual indentity. A real shame considering SNK made some of the best looking 2D games ever.

The gameplay itself can be quite fun but if you've played some 2D fighters in your time, there's nothing new or unique here. Fans will enjoy it but to everyone else, you've basically already played this game.

What puts me off the most however is the overall lack of impact. All of the regular attacks feel flimsy and weak. There's no punch to any of it and nothing feels satisfying to pull off. This is a dull ass game to spectate.

I'll keep an eye out and see how the game evolves over time and how fans will respond it. Right now however, I'll stick to King of Fighters 13, Garou & Capcom vs SNK 2 for my SNK fighting game needs.

Going into King of Fighters 14, I have no idea what I've gained in exchange for losing the pretty 2D sprites and high energy fights.

... yeah I know. Sprites are expensive.

Good Post

Here's my previous

impression

My impressions so far

Gameplay 10
Sound effects 8 I give kof 99 sfx a 10.
Music 9
Special effects graphics 4, snk really needs to improve this asap.
Character models 8
Backgrounds 8
HUD 8
Textures 5
IQ 6
Controls 10
Presentation 8
Voices 7
Fun factor 10

To improve the graphics I had to lower the internal brightness in the game.

I like the women's voice announcer better but I dislike her constantly saying "wow" every combo higher than 4 hits.

The lp,hp,hk,lk, hit effects are terrible looking, why yellow mustard color snk on hp hk SNK?

As others mention jaggies are present, and I can't help but to feel that the game lacks dat kof special charm.

Although is just a demo, I feel like they won't have time for that extra polish I wanted, doesn't the game go gold next saturday?

I will still buy, I hope SNK surprises in tje future with a nice ps4 neo patch to fix the issues I have with the game.

This for me, but I gave it a go. Except I'm more a SF, than Xrd guy. I really hate the artstyle here, and it's a lot to learn only to have no one to play with at locals, so I'm gonna' pass, but I gave it a go.

Good Post

Here's my previous

impression

My impressions so far

Gameplay 10
Sound effects 8 I give kof 99 sfx a 10.
Music 9
Special effects graphics 4, snk really needs to improve this asap.
Character models 8
Backgrounds 8
HUD 8
Textures 5
IQ 6
Controls 10
Presentation 8
Voices 7
Fun factor 10

To improve the graphics I had to lower the internal brightness in the game.

I like the women's voice announcer better but I dislike her constantly saying "wow" every combo higher than 4 hits.

The lp,hp,hk,lk, hit effects are terrible looking, why yellow mustard color snk on hp hk SNK?

As others mention jaggies are present, and I can't help but to feel that the game lacks dat kof special charm.

Although is just a demo, I feel like they won't have time for that extra polish I wanted, doesn't the game go gold next saturday?

I will still buy, I hope SNK surprises in tje future with a nice ps4 neo patch to fix the issues I have with the game.

I hope that they can/will improve the games visuals over time although I do not know if it would be in their best interests to do so or just use their experience from this game and just wait until the next one to make strides in their 3D modeling. Good think that it doesn't bother me too much. Just don't know if quite a few people will feel that this game isn't a $60 game based on visuals alone.

Veterans of KOF will easily transition into this game, within a few minutes with Kyo and Iori I already had down some of their max mode combos. Nelson so far has been the hardest to figure out as I was expecting Heavy D or Dudley and he seems completely different from both of those characters.

In terms of Button Layout, I always use the SNK layout of Always felt that this layout was the best setup and made it easier to do HD Combos in XIII and it seems to work just as effective in XIV with the max mode combos
BCD
A

Drahcir

I like it but coming from SFV I'm finding it kind of hard. It is fun though, I wasn't really planning on KOF but if I keep enjoying this demo I can see myself biting on the game.

I've never played a KOF game before. How does it differ from SF that makes it hard? I thought I read somewhere that SNK wanted to make this one as accessible as possible. Just want to get an idea before I jump into it tonight, but I'm already preparing for the worst that I might not like it.

I like it but coming from SFV I'm finding it kind of hard. It is fun though, I wasn't really planning on KOF but if I keep enjoying this demo I can see myself biting on the game.

I've always found KoF more difficult execution/combo wise for sure but I've always had tons of fun with it either way. I felt completely comfortable playing the game though. Not sure how it'll feel coming in completely new to the series.

Anyone know if we're getting character specific intros? Was using Iori against Kyo and Kyo just has the same intro which was a bit of a bummer. Don't remember if the more modern KoF even had them...

El Sabroso

How does this work on stick?

LP LK HP
HK X X ??

this is what my fellow mexican veterans say is the way you have to play kof on arcade stick

BCD
A

LKHPHK
LP

Pfft get out of here with that trash.

more appropriate but never got used to it

All the KOFXIII arcades I played in Japan are

LP HP
LK HK

*shrug*

Shame I can't use it since it's an Xbox 360 stick. But really, LP HP top row LK HK bottom row is the better way to do it. *shrugs*

this is the one I use the most, more comfortable to use dual punches or dual kicks inputs, or any other 2 button inputs from the game

OVDRobo

Definitely a lot more reassured about this game now that I've had a chance to go hands on with it. Visually, it looks pretty cheap, but without Youtube compression the graphical style holds up as a clean 3D style without much flair.

It's seems like SNK was targeting larger roster numbers than other fighters and the graphical quality of the game allowed them to achieve that, which is better than some of the more interesting characters missing from the game and being released as DLC later for some slightly improved graphics.

King of Dinosaurs is hype as hell.

Xeteh

I've never played a KOF game before. How does it differ from SF that makes it hard? I thought I read somewhere that SNK wanted to make this one as accessible as possible. Just want to get an idea before I jump into it tonight, but I'm already prepsring for the worst that I might not like it.

I'm probably not the right person to answer this just because of my lack of experience with KOF in general but...

There's a lot more mechanics, combat rolls, different jumps, throws are different and don't feel as easy as SF (instead of two face buttons its f/b+hp/hk), the combos feel far tighter than SFV (aside from the auto combos that some characters seem to have). Jumps are... weird? They're not bad but jumps feel very floaty and low compared to SFV so its throwing me off bigtime.

That being said, a complete scrub to KOF, I'm having fun with the demo. I thought the artstyle looked kind of bad compared to KOF13 when I saw it in videos but it looks good in person, I'm really enjoying it.

JimiNutz

Banned
Is the game at all noob friendly?
I've never played KoF and have barely any experience with other 2D fighters.

Is it worth me even downloading the demo or will I be overwhelmed?

Xeteh

It is harder than some other 2D games I've played but it has a tutorial in the demo that explains the mechanics. Give it a shot, if you don't enjoy it then no harm done.

I say give it a try. It's really not that overwhelming at all unless you're trying to do some crazy execution heavy combos.

Worth a try especially if you like classic 2D fighters.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
That auto combo LP thing is actually pretty awesome. As someone who generally struggles with combos it at least gives me something I know I can always use if I get in.

It's also nice for the simple fact that many characters have had a hard time using meter off fast punishes, but this makes it far easier and universal, even if it's not optimal.

Eh, Naaa. I don't have Revelator yet, but I played a good amount of Xrd, and watched most of the Revelator top 8 at Evo. I find myself missing the characterization of much of the game (and some of my time with Ramlethal), but they systems really don't call back to me that much (especially since I know little about the nuances of the latest release).

I really wanna give Dizzy a try (finally, an old character I kinda like to play!), but Revelator's gameplay didn't look like anything so special at EVO. Which is weird, because normally, GG impresses me with such obvious overly-technical stuff that I can see and instantly identify as awesome.

I do wish I got to see something other than basically Johnny, Raven, Milla, and... was there a bit of Zato? Raven seemed like he never did anything specifically impressive, Johnny had wonderful BS that almost made him feel like he belonged in another game, Milla was a more dynamic, well rounded Raven, and Zato... he normally really impressed me on old GG, but I felt meh with what I saw here.

The most impressive player skill part to me was definitely the proper burst baiting, and how into each other's heads some of the players got. That's pretty great to see in every fighter, though. Johnny's MIst-o FINAH unblockables basically got patched right out the game after Evo, right? LoL. Man is it depressing watching a Super used to seal a long combo, and then watch it do the damage of a jab due to scaling and proration...

This game feels easier with execution than past KOF's to be honest, then again it could be due to already being use to the input timing which differs from SF games.

This game feels easier with execution than past KOF's to be honest, then again it could be due to already being use to the input timing which differs from SF games.

Share the same feeling. I'm not sure I dig the one button multiple dial up combos though. Iori has a freaking 13 hit just by mashing LP, and it does good damage too.

Otherwise it feels and LOOKS great. So clean, love it.

Share the same feeling. I'm not sure I dig the one button multiple dial up combos though. Iori has a freaking 13 hit just by mashing LP, and it does good damage too.

Otherwise it feels and LOOKS great. So clean, love it.

I noticed, but the most damaging combos I have found are all max mode combos. So the game rewards actual skill than mashing on a button in that respect.

I've never played a KOF game before. How does it differ from SF that makes it hard? I thought I read somewhere that SNK wanted to make this one as accessible as possible. Just want to get an idea before I jump into it tonight, but I'm already preparing for the worst that I might not like it.

Movement options are the main difference. Neutral is more often about restricting movement than picking spots to beat specific moves. The game is more accessible, but trying to play KOF expecting SF never helps. Take the time to get familiar with it as its own thing.

Pompadour

It's seems like SNK was targeting larger roster numbers than other fighters and the graphical quality of the game allowed them to achieve that, which is better than some of the more interesting characters missing from the game and being released as DLC later for some slightly improved graphics.

King of Dinosaurs is hype as hell.

I don't know if I agree with this approach. I'd take half the roster with much improved characters and them releasing upgraded versions of the game down the line.

I'm not sure how future KOFs will even progress. History tells me that they'll try and stick with these 3D models and cut characters to replace them with other characters. 50 is already about max for a fighting game so I can't see them releasing a KOF XV with 80 characters or something a few years down the line.

Hopefully, they move onto Fatal Fury to Samurai Shodown with smaller rosters but way improved graphics and use what they learned from those titles to do a better KOF XV.

Ferrio

Banned

I've always found KoF to be great for newbs atleast non-competitive wise due to the insanely large cast. Lot of characters to play around for casuals. Execution wise it's mid in the pack for fighting games.

It's how I first picked up the series, just played around with characters with my roommate. Learned a lot since then.

Xeteh

Sylvie and Shun'ei are going to be regulars on the 'Terrible character design' threads.

They look atrocious.

Man, you're as insane as Sylvie is. After playing her I fucking adore her design. There's so much crazy in every animation, it is fantastic. She's a big part of what has sold me on this demo so far.

Menitta

Ok. This makes me realize how casual I am at KOF. I adore the characters and the style is amazing, but man I don't know what I'm doing. That being said I'm still keeping the preorder down. The 30 minutes of training mode and few matches I played were fun as hell. I love this cast so much. Also, it looks way better in person than in the trailers.

qcf x2

I'm playing it like SFV... poorly... and even more poorly because KOF is harder. At least Sylvie is awesome.

The key is to not play it like SF. Stand C, f+A (or B) into special should work with most characters if it's anything like previous KoF games. Practice the 3 different jumps (regular, short hop, super jump).

Played the demo... I don't like it.

The graphics whilst clean looking and very average. Everything has a generic look to it and the game has no visual indentity. A real shame considering SNK made some of the best looking 2D games ever.

The gameplay itself can be quite fun but if you've played some 2D fighters in your time, there's nothing new or unique here. Fans will enjoy it but to everyone else, you've basically already played this game.

What puts me off the most however is the overall lack of impact. All of the regular attacks feel flimsy and weak. There's no punch to any of it and nothing feels satisfying to pull off. This is a dull ass game to spectate.

I'll keep an eye out and see how the game evolves over time and how fans will respond it. Right now however, I'll stick to King of Fighters 13, Garou & Capcom vs SNK 2 for my SNK fighting game needs.

Going into King of Fighters 14, I have no idea what I've gained in exchange for losing the pretty 2D sprites and high energy fights.

... yeah I know. Sprites are expensive.

Your opinion is your opinion, but I don't know about the dull game to spectate, what are you basing that off of? The KoF Evo matches were pretty hype for a game that hasn't even released yet. If anything, KoF matches are some of the hypest out there because of the comeback potential. When you're playing, there's nothing like a reverse OCV (when you're about to lose an OCV but you win out). It's so hype. I also think the game has tons of visual identity, graphics quality notwithstanding. The look definitely separates it from the Unreal Engine games, for better and/or for worse.

You can literally mash square to get an auto combo, I think you'll probably have some fun with it. ;) I'm not good at KoF by any measure and I have more fun with 2002 than most other games.

For the people who aren't digging it, if KoF never clicked for you I def get it, I was not a KoF fan until about a year ago because I always wanted it to be a SF-like game. It really isn't, and it took me understanding that to appreciate the different gameplay it offered. So if you're looking for a SFV replacement, this isn't it

BiggNife

Sylvie and Shun'ei are going to be regulars on the 'Terrible character design' threads.

They look atrocious.
Sylvie is very clearly modeled after a real Japanese pop star, Kyary Pamyu Pamyu (hence the name Sylvie Paula Paula). I'm not a huge fan of the aesthetic either but it's pretty faithful to their inspiration.

Pamyu-Pamyu-King-of-Fighters-cabecera-01.jpg

Shunei is totally okay, I think. Nothing to write home about but his design definitely fits in with the rest of the kof cast.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
What the hell, i can't find the demo on the PSN US Store.
>__<

Xeteh

The key is to not play it like SF. Stand C, f+A (or B) into special should work with most characters if it's anything like previous KoF games. Practice the 3 different jumps (regular, short hop, super jump).

You've seen me play SFV, you should know you're asking way too much.

What the hell, i can't find the demo on the PSN US Store.
>__<

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...demo/cid=UP2611-CUSA05607_00-KOFFREEDEMOTHEME

Its in the OP, weirdo.

Top Bottom