• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

Loona

I was thinking the same thing. I think at this point the only returning VAs are Iori and Athena.

Nah, Monster Maezuka still does Benimaru and Choi, but strangely not Ralf. And Harumi Ikoma does King and nobody else, when she used to to almost all SNK girls in SNK's early FG days, even if Nakoruru is right there.

That sucks. The only thing you can trust in a KoF game is that the VA's would never change beyond some exceptions.

The only real casualty was the loss of Kyo's old VA Masahiro Nonaka. New guy can't say iconic lines like "Kurai... yagare!" with as much conviction.

Nah, Monster Maezuka still does Benimaru and Choi, but strangely not Ralf. And Harumi Ikoma does King and nobody else, when she used to to almost all SNK girls in SNK's early FG days, even if Nakoruru is right there.

Yeah I really derped there (in my defense I just woke up) i can't believe I forgot about the likes of Kula and KoD. And I didn't really take into the account the returnign VAs from XIII which are still new in my book. But man I'm seriously shocked Iori has a new VA! Yasui just had that unique voice for Iori that really stood out on its own. When I first heard Iori's XiV voice I just thought, "Yep, same old Iori voice"

But yay! VAs! Now i can stop wondering! Not that I'm doubting, but where did the image come from?

Neoxon

I feel like they had to keep Tizoc's VA, specifically to make it clear that King of Dinosaurs is Tizoc under that mask.

Numb

That sucks. The only thing you can trust in a KoF game is that the VA's would never change beyond some exceptions.

The only real casualty was the loss of Kyo's old VA Masahiro Nonaka. New guy can't say iconic lines like "Kurai... yagare!" with as much conviction.

Sad i can't hear the ''Body ga'' part clearly

TreIII

XIII was truly the end of an era, indeed.

I mean, it's unavoidable. A lot of those veteran VAs were starting to push their 50s, and couldn't be expected to keep reprising these roles forever. Some, like Ryo, were already replaced in XIII, as it was. Or in cases like Nobuyuki Hiyama, he probably would cost too much for a game where you likely get paid by the line and there's much more VAing in this game than ever.

Still going to miss them all, though. Wonder how Yasui and Nonaka felt about finally having to pass their famous roles along to a new generation.

GrayFoxPL

In early presentations I said right away that Terry doesn't sound like Terry at all, but no: "he's the same". Yeah sure, lol.

Maybe it's nostalgia talking some of the new voices suck. They lack that energy and vigor. Shame especially for FF and AOF teams.

JayEH

list showing which va are new and which are returning

not surprising that they're replacing so many considering how much more voiced stuff there is in this game, but it's always a shame. honestly, i was fooled by a good number of new va, they do a really convincing job

Well the changes were bound to happen eventually I guess. This is the right time to make all the changes to since it's a new arc. I will say that I haven't liked a couple of the recasts so far but hopefully they'll grow on me.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
In early presentations I said right away that Terry doesn't sound like Terry at all, but no: "he's the same". Yeah sure, lol.

Maybe it's nostalgia talking some of the new voices suck. They lack that energy and vigor. Shame especially for FF and AOF teams.

I agree on a couple of them, namely Chin Gentsai, Kyo, and Ryo. Everyone else sounds fine, just different IMO.

I could've sworn Billy's VA was his 2003/XIII VA Seijiro. His new VA sounds just like him, which wouldn't be so bad, but I really never liked Seijiro, I preferred his other VA Atsushi Yamanishi.

I thought maybe they got Kay Inage back as Robert, but it's a new guy, namely the guy who also voiced Kusaragedou in recent SS games.

Kukri is the current voice of Ryu :O

Unless there's someone else running around with the same singular name, Sylvie's voice, MIO is a professional singer that's in her 60s. It's odd though because MIO was supposed to be an OLD alias of hers, and she currently goes by MIQ (pronounced like Miku) so why would she voice a game and be case as her old name?

Edit: Thanks Loona, and it seems thanks to MMC, it's NOT the same Mio I mentioned above. Okay. Not that that would've been bad, or anything just found it a bit hard to believe they'd cast someone like her.

BadWolf

MMCafe has an article up regarding the VAs:

SNK has released the list of voice actors for all 50 characters in KOFXIV. Surprisingly, most of them are new to the game and a good number of them are local narrators in the west Japan region rather than professional voice actors.

In some interesting castings,

- Iori's VA played the protagonist Van in the anime Gun x Sword
- Love Heart is voiced by the same VA as Blazbue's Bullet
- Terry's VA is no longer in the game and his voice is done by the guy who plays the protagonist in this season's new anime 91 Days
- Xanadu's voice is done by the same VA as Rumble Fish's Orville
- Shun'ei's voice is done by the VA that does Fox in Wiiu's Starfox Zero

More at the link.

Kukri is the current voice of Ryu :O

Shots fired.

GrayFoxPL

It's like this: Satoshi Hashimoto is so iconic for me as voice of Terry, so even if they hired God to voice him, he would still suck compared to Hashimoto.

So yeah I cringe at Terry's new voice, but I would at any new voice of Terry. Shrug.

Another thing is that many new VA try to mimic old voices and end up like weaker versions of originals - Robert, Yuri, Clark, Andy, Iori, Mature etc.

Joe, he's not bad, good move screams, he's loud, energetic like he should yet still he can't pull off "Yo Shaaa!" like Hiyama and what is this poor shout at Screw Upper? Come on dude, you're not bad, so step up if you want to be next Joe Higashi.

I'll miss old Ryo's voice but new guy Daiki Takakura clearly tries very hard to be a good voice for Ryo. Energetic voice and proper shouts for specials and super. He sound little young for me so little less powerful then he should, but I like him overall. Give him one more KoF after this and he'll get "there".

I didn't hear K' enough but he seems like a less bored, less "assholish" version of the original. Not bad. I'll take it.

Kyo - I feel bad for the guy because he has such huge shoes to fill that no way he could pull it off. Controversially I don't hate him, just be louder dude, Kyo can't be whispering like that. Great Max scream though.

Other actors, like Leona, Angel, Vice etc are ok, I have nothing against.

One thing I must say:

Kensou's voice is a CRIME.

EBIqbpb.jpg

TIL Athena's current VA was born in Athens, Greece.

She was born for the role.

EDIT: Terry's new VA has the right amount of garbled English so I'm cool with him.

I didn't hear K' enough but he seems like a less bored, less "assholish" version of the original. Not bad. I'll take it.
This is probably my favorite K' VO. Your right, it's like K' finally woke up said "You know what? I've had it with Ralf's smack talk. Anybody who steps up to me the wrong way is getting punished!"

TIL Athena's current VA was born in Athens, Greece.

She was born for the role.
Also, she voiced Crash Bandicoot

This is probably my favorite K' VO. Your right, it's like K' finally woke up said "You know what? I've had it with Ralf's smack talk. Anybody who steps up to me the wrong way is getting punished!"

Also, she voiced Crash Bandicoot

Coco Bandicoot, you mean. Fun fact: She's been doing Athena for 18 years.

Also, K's new VA has to shout out his Lunge Spike like his life depended on it.

BadWolf

I will miss Claw Iori's roar during his neomax in XIII, packed so much punch.

Yeah he sounds a lot more aggressive now, much better than before.

One thing I must say:

Kensou's voice is a CRIME.

EBIqbpb.jpg

It's going to get some time getting used to. It's like he went for Eiji Yano but overdid it in "geeky teenager".

I was going to say how funny it is how were obsessing over fighting game VAs, but it's really mindblowing just how long the old VAs were at it. More than any other company (I think the closest would be Martinet as Mario since 1996) And there's some characters like King and Geese who are STILL AT IT since their debut in early 90s.

N4Us

Meitenkun's voice actress is Chinese-born, which is pretty neat.

edit: Also Nako's VA isn't technically new; She started doing her voice with the Samurai Shodown pachislots.

Amedo310

It is difficult to top cvs2 terry voice acting. "Are you ok? Buster wolf!" and Terry will always be one in the same to me and many others. In my opinion, the second best Terry line is power geyser in KOFXII. Especially when the game is paused as Terry yells each word.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Meitenkun's voice actress is Chinese-born, which is pretty neat.

edit: Also Nako's VA isn't technically new; She started doing her voice with the Samurai Shodown pachislots.
You mean BAETENKUN right?

WARNING!!! Small Esaka stage feature spoiler WARNING!!!!
LINK
WARNING!!! Small Esaka stage feature spoiler WARNING!!!!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
He hacked it? This is not a spoiler at all.
And the image is low res I cant even see what the custom message says.

Not hacked, you can add a custom message to the stage monitor

This still doesnt have a release date for PC right?

SNK probably doesnt have the bandwidth to release on both platforms at the same time. Im sure the PC version will come on a few months.

Not hacked, you can add a custom message to the stage monitor

SNK probably doesnt have the bandwidth to release on both platforms at the same time. Im sure the PC version will come on a few months.

Yeah, I guess I will grab it on PS4 for now, then trade that in when the PC one comes out. My stick doesn't work on PS4 though, so that's a bummer! Maybe it's time I stuck a PS4 and Xbox One board in it so I could toggle between then, rather than the 360 one that's in there now.

So I have it... IL just add some info without mentioning story spoilers though one of the team endings made me gasp. in the best way

so a few things. Story mode is 8 fights then mid and final boss. Instead of special intros, they have kof XIII style conversations. Nice balance. The endings don't have any voices weirdly enough but they're done in a really well made anime art style. Possibly from the KOF anime?

And to my delight. Certain matchups have their own music which fades into the matches. Only one I noticed was angel vs Kuala which sounded like a remix of the NESTS Theme from 2k2um

Top Bottom