• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

I'm trying super hard to avoid story spoilers, and man, they're all over the place. I think I got spoiled one major detail, but uh...I'll wait and see.

What I wouldn't mind seeing is more folks' day one(or...day -7?) combos and tricks. Hardly any of that going around...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I was just joking ;P
You got a week to finish putting in your stuff. Once it's all done with banners etc. I'll have it up.

I was thinking you didn't get my message or something, ha. NP, grinding away...

Oh, and congrats! I could probably search and try to find it urrrly, but then I REALLY wouldn't be working on the OT at all. Make sure to record those first matches you get into, it's always fun to see how much one evolved from their Day 1 fighting game play later on.

I'm trying super hard to avoid story spoilers, and man, they're all over the place. I think I got spoiled one major detail, but uh...I'll wait and see.

What I wouldn't mind seeing is more folks' day one(or...day -7?) combos and tricks. Hardly any of that going around...

Yup, I've avoided vids, but have seen quite enough pictures, heh. There's 3 vids of sets on SRK's forums at the moment, but not sure if they have boss, character, or feature spoilers, and one of them is like... an hour and a half long, so can't check to see if it's spoils free now. Everything is a risk right now!

Well, this Geese SDM->CDM->OTG vid was nice and spoils free. Because we already know Geese is awesome.

I'm waiting for more uploads of the OST besides the ones in the demo. The tidbits and remixes of Kim's and Ikari Warrior's themes are great but I need to hear the full songs, dammit.

Tizoc

Yeesh I am not liking Gang-il, his entire movelist feels dull and uninspired.
Still will try to give everyone a fair share amount of time and see if I end up liking them.

Tizoc

so you mean it's just as great as everything else then

I don't see how they couldn't have just put in Jae Hoon and Dong Hwan instead. Not like the game is short on Ranbu supers.

Chang and Choi are great though so glad to have them back.
Choi's back and forward moving animations are so GIF worthy.

All these boys getting it early.

And I just wanna play Geese.

So I watched the endings online, and I'm already hyped for 15.

I hope that 14 does well both commercially and with the scene

With a great online, lotsa content, and the willingness for players to branch out more than others, KOF is gonna do fine. I hope the prize pools are significant to keep higher level players going, but other than that I see it doing great.

Loona

Loona, I'm sure you have some kind of history lesson or something you might want to include in it too! ;) I think you could do such a thing justice more than any of us.

If I go ahead and write something like this for the OT, whom do I send it to? Now that the team stories are out there's some more context and hints.

Looking back on the "Drawn by the scent of life, the dead are gathering" quote in the Yagami team backstory, it's almost fun to imagine a revived team of Gaidel, Maki and Rugal trying to re-kill Goenitz, unlikely as such as alliance would be...

Tizoc

If I go ahead and write something like this for the OT, whom do I send it to? Now that the team stories are out there's some more context and hints.

Looking back on the "Drawn by the scent of life, the dead are gathering" quote in the Yagami team backstory, it's almost fun to imagine a revived team of Gaidel, Maki and Rugal trying to re-kill Goenitz, unlikely as such as alliance would be...

PM it to me, I'll try to squeeze it in there somehow :V

Relique

『Inaba Resident』;213672618 said:
Any more reports about the netcode?

Waiting on mine to be delivered in a few hours. Planning to play online all day today. I'll post full impressions in the thread.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I'm paying too much for the shipping, but just ordered a copy off eBay. Should be here by Wednesday or Thursday.

...Why don't they just go ahead and tell stores to start selling this game early?

I've only managed to find 8 matches since Friday but they were all unplayable. Most of them were against guys with 5 bars but the game still ran in slow motion. I'm on a wired connection and my ISP is FIOS so I don't think the problem is on my end. I remember getting ArcSys games before US street date and having similar issues, so I'm hoping there's a day one patch to fix this. Or maybe I've just had bad luck with opponents -- there aren't many people playing and ranked doesn't seem to work yet. I imagine anyone hardcore enough to get KOF early is gonna have properly configured internet though.

Game seems good and as a package it blows SFV out of the water. Just wish I had some dudes to play it with.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Cp5xbsMVIAE8cNa.jpg

『Inaba Resident』;213672618 said:
Any more reports about the netcode?

As I can't resist a Rally Vincent Avatar, I'll mention what was seen on one of the streams last night XD

Someone had a 12 person lobby open, where people of a large variety of connections kept entering. I didn't see it ever fill up, but 3 to 6 players wasn't uncommon.

• The worse connections moved at a diminished framerate. A consistent, non-skipping way.
  • The best connections LOOKED like offline, the main player said they felt very good.
  • There were some "game stopped for a brief second" hiccups here and there, maybe because people were leaving / entering the room?
  • Bars don't tell a good story; people had better 1 bar fights than 4 bars, so it seems inconsistent / untrue at times. (Like pretty much every online fighter in my experience.)

The Lobby features were actually incredibly nice, however:
  • You can set various gameplay types up from the main lobby screen, set people into different brackets simultaneously, spectate other's matches, and text chat.
  • Lobby Modes: Tourney, Elimination, Series
    • Tourney: Loser rotates out.
    • Elimination: Winner rotates out.
    • Series: "Endless Battle" between players.
  • The text looked like pre-made messages, might be a way to type yourself.
  • While spectating, you can select from 4 commentary options, like Booing and Cheering the players.
  • The chat took to calling the booing the BOOS OF DEMONS FROM HELL or such, because it sounds quite creepy.

On SRK, even those who hated the way the online looked in one streamers vids later went to others, and found things to look much better. Slo-mo seems to be the exception, rather than the norm.

------

Musical Tidbits: (Thanks to TSnooze on SRK for much of this)
Matchup-specific music plays when 2 related characters show up. After their fight is over, it smoothly fades back to where the "stage" theme was before that bout.
Characters seem to have remixes of classic themes! Like REALLY Classic. Examples:
  • Kim VS Choi
    (Seoul Road Remix)
  • King VS Ryo
    (King's AoF theme + some jazzy / Asian instruments!?)
  • Ralf VS Clark
    (The Ikari Warriors theme remix, circa 1986)
    [*]Athena VS Kensou
    Vocaloid-ish sounding voice mix of their new theme, Tachi bou ke
There's more, but those are some nice standouts to show the variety the game draws from.

-----

AirLancer on SRK Provides us with our first K' combo video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3Ws5RnaCdU
His Mid-screen combos look pretty nice. I saw him get a command-overhead off light attacks during a stream too, so it's nice to see K' gets a command normal off lights now, too (Even if that use might be limited.)

BadWolf

I've only managed to find 8 matches since Friday but they were all unplayable. Most of them were against guys with 5 bars but the game still ran in slow motion. I'm on a wired connection and my ISP is FIOS so I don't think the problem is on my end. I remember getting ArcSys games before US street date and having similar issues, so I'm hoping there's a day one patch to fix this. Or maybe I've just had bad luck with opponents -- there aren't many people playing and ranked doesn't seem to work yet. I imagine anyone hardcore enough to get KOF early is gonna have properly configured internet though.

Game seems good and as a package it blows SFV out of the water. Just wish I had some dudes to play it with.

One thing I really dislike is seeing rank, battle points etc. when playing fighters online.

I remember reading that XIV allows you to turn them off completely so you won't see them at all if you don't want to.

Is this feature in?

As I can't resist a Rally Vincent Avatar, I'll mention what was seen on one of the streams last night XD

Thanks for the report!

The features sound solid, here's hoping the netcode holds up post launch.

K's damage is looking solid and about in line with his XIII self, though his corner carry doesn't seem quite as good now that the EX Spike causes a side switch when used for juggling. And looks like he will be a beast in the corner again.

One thing I really dislike is seeing rank, battle points etc. when playing fighters online.

I remember reading that XIV allows you to turn them off completely so you won't see them at all if you don't want to.

Is this feature in?
I don't see an option to turn it off. Currently it says "Rank 1" next to my name during player matches. Small and unobtrusive. No big gaudy logo or score, very easy to ignore. Maybe that changes if you actually rank up; hard to tell right now since ranked either isn't working or no one's playing it. Only 12 people on the leaderboard.

BadWolf

I don't see an option to turn it off. Currently it says "Rank 1" next to my name during player matches. Small and unobtrusive. No big gaudy logo or score, very easy to ignore. Maybe that changes if you actually rank up; hard to tell right now since ranked either isn't working or no one's playing it. Only 12 people on the leaderboard.

Ah, thanks :)

In your online profile u can select a icon and tag and also choose whether u want yours wins, losses, and overall win percentage shown on your ID card.

KAOS

Kudos to SNK! I didn't think this game was gonna turn out as good as it has! Solid game play, fun characters, a story mode with a good sense humor and plenty of art gallery to unlock! I couldn't ask for anything else( except for Yuri... why you gotta make her look like Sie Kensou)! Kudos!

qcf x2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5XCHBYTlp8

This really is probably my favorite psycho soldier theme. or at the very least up there next to 98 and XI's

Wow, I was unsure w/ the team trailer version, but the vocals really make it. I still prefer the classic though.

Full Another World Theme, Magical Sky ripped from a Stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB7A8y2emPo

Really, Survivors Under the Sky should have happened Hour 1.

And this theme? This is excellent.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
You'd be lucky enough to get it on release day, at least in my experiences (especially when it comes to limited editions).

Edit: Speaking of which heres an unboxing video of the LE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc0IIRfjdj4

(Looks at the alt costumes in the artbook at 4:17) ....

Yes, I'd potentially buy all of those. Heh. The box is pretty big! An actual, honest, full sized book, Gorgeous. As a person who dabbles in collecting artbooks (and of course a few SNK ones) that makes the value feel even better.

(Looks at the alt costumes in the artbook at 4:17) ...

I noticed those as well. One that really stuck out to me was Terry's Garou Densetsu Premium (the pachi-slot game w/ Alice) outfit. It's basically his MotW outfit but with a hat, but I'd buy it in a heartbeat. SNK, I hope you are listening.

BadWolf

(Looks at the alt costumes in the artbook at 4:17) ....

Yes, I'd potentially buy all of those. Heh. The box is pretty big! An actual, honest, full sized book, Gorgeous. As a person who dabbles in collecting artbooks (and of course a few SNK ones) that makes the value feel even better.

Dat business suit Geese...

Looks like they were brainstorming a whole bunch of design ideas for Mai.

Ahh shit.

Amazon has that 20 percent off for Prime tho. But I'm not sure if they even do release day delivery without having to pay extra for it.

Het_Nkik

Ahh shit.

Amazon has that 20 percent off for Prime tho. But I'm not sure if they even do release day delivery without having to pay extra for it.

Just take it through checkout and check, man. Both the Premium and SteelBook editions are showing free release day delivery. The non-SteelBook version (that is the same price as the SteelBook version) does not even have the option for release day delivery.

sibarraz

Banned
I played the full version today, is a really fun game, even though I think that it will be a very polarizing game like SF IV amongst the hardcore fanbase (which at the begginign lots of people hated but still played it)

Relique

Unless something that is essential to the netcode is still turned off, I think this might be some of the worst netcode I've ever seen.

I played about 7-8 people and not one match was anywhere near smooth, and I know at least a couple of people were in the US. One match was playable with major delay and random lag spikes, the rest are literally unplayable. I'm a bit bummed out but will try to mess around with it some more.

Not sure if this question has been asked/answered yet, but can anyone confirm if the netcode is frame-delay or rollback? I'm guessing the former.

It's delay-based.

Unless something that is essential to the netcode is still turned off, I think this might be some of the worst netcode I've ever seen.

I played about 7-8 people and not one match was anywhere near smooth, and I know at least a couple of people were in the US. One match was playable with major delay and random lag spikes, the rest are literally unplayable. I'm a bit bummed out but will try to mess around with it some more.

Played with my buddy earlier. In Xrd we always have 2f of input lag, but KOF14 is flat out unplayable for us. It feels just like SNK's 360 games, which has me worried the day 1 patch won't fix anything.

Relique

It's delay-based.

Played with my buddy earlier. In Xrd we always have 2f of input lag, but KOF14 is flat out unplayable for us. It feels just like SNK's 360 games, which has me worried the day 1 patch won't fix anything.

It's really heartbraking because I'm such a huge fanboy. Pre-ordered digital and then overpaid over retail for a physical copy to get it a few days early. Even have a preorder for the premium edition to support them. I really hope there is some server offline or something that is causing all this.

Xevren

Sad to hear the mixed bag about online, still hyped as hell for the game. Been playing kof 13 a lot past couple days, can't wait.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
As far as netcode goes, it's a fighting game so unfortunately it's not about servers, being a direct connection between both players. Server problems would affect matchmaking (ala SF V), but once you're in the match what you see is what you get.

Kind of sad to see they're using delay based netcode, as most fighting game series have moved beyond it.

hawk2025

What's the word on single player modes?

Is the story mode the usual intro-outro-cutscenes deal of most fighting games? Anything more meaty with the Missions? Are the unlockables basically the art gallery?

Thanks!

Top Bottom