• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

Hyun Sai

Billy got a custom intro against Geese ? Other characters got those ?

By the way I love how Billy looks like in this. Never looked better IMO !

Big Brett

Conflicted if I should start with this game. Didn't really like the feel of KOF13 but I enjoyed the demo for 14 a bit. SFV is my only fighting game, and i've got the PSN credit... should I bite the bullet?

Just quoting for the next page if anyone has some input :)

BadWolf

Just quoting for the next page if anyone has some input :)

It's your money so it's difficult to make the decision for you but if you liked the demo then the final game will give you more of that with a ton more characters and extras. A lot of people who didn't like XIII seem to like XIV a lot better and the execution ceiling has been reduced by a ton.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
More pre-release patch online impressions:

-Still have yet to play a ranked match. Actually played someone who was rank 3, so some are definitely playing.

-Couldn't get anyone to join a lobby with the streaming option turned off. I suspect this is because when you search for lobbies, the game defaults to streaming on and most people are just going with that option. You can only search for it on or off...not both. Why, SNK?

-The smallest size lobby you can make is 6 people. I got around this by adding some private slots and making smaller lobby sizes and....it didn't make any real difference. I had some good matches and still had bad ones, too- no ping is listed and you can't trust the connection bars, so it's always a gamble when you play someone.

-It is getting frustrating at this point. I can't pull off a lot of stuff online and matches just devolve into weak punch spam combos (for those who don't know, if you keep hitting LP, you will do an auto combo which will use one stock to end it with a super if you have one available), special move fests (it's hard to dodge certain things when there's this much lag), and running away to let the timer count down.

Certain characters just dominate when there's lag, too. Geese because of his air and ground Reppuken and his counters (which get you every time you attempt to do something, it doesn't come, and a normal comes out instead -_-), and Nakoruru's Annu Mutsube, with its ground follow-up that pushes her away on block, is just godlike. You can spam it all day and stay insanely safe. I've OCV'd people using it. In offline play I'm sure it's a different story.

The only character who just seems to suck, sadly, is Xanadu. I've seen some others say the same. I've yet to play anyone using him, actually, but whenever I try him it just feels like an automatic disadvantage, lol. His normals aren't that great and his specials all come out too slowly.

Seen a pretty good mix of characters being used. Surprisingly way less Kyos and Ioris than I would have thought. The characters I have yet to play against are Xanadu, as noted, Tung, Sylvie, Kukri, Mui Mui, and the first boss (forget his name). Will be interesting seeing how this changes when the game is released.

Fingers are crossed that the patch does a lot of good. Otherwise I hope it gets a PC port since SNK has better luck with the online in their PC ports.

Haven't put much time into Xanadu but cr.B is a turn off already.

Speaking of characters I need to take the time to learn, I hope people don't push for a boss ban. They seem to have interesting stuff going on.

Lyte Edge

If there's any noob killer in this game, it's Geese IMO. He's so damn good in the game. Counter jump-ins all day long and do his ground follow-up after. Heh.

BadWolf

Speaking of characters I need to take the time to learn, I hope people don't push for a boss ban. They seem to have interesting stuff going on.

I expect them to be fully balanced since they have been touting a 50 character roster from day 1 and it would be incomplete without them.

More pre-release patch online impressions:

-Still have yet to play a ranked match. Actually played someone who was rank 3, so some are definitely playing.

-Couldn't get anyone to join a lobby with the streaming option turned off. I suspect this is because when you search for lobbies, the game defaults to streaming on and most people are just going with that option. You can only search for it on or off...not both. Why, SNK?

-The smallest size lobby you can make is 6 people. I got around this by adding some private slots and making smaller lobby sizes and....it didn't make any real difference. I had some good matches and still had bad ones, too- no ping is listed and you can't trust the connection bars, so it's always a gamble when you play someone.

-It is getting frustrating at this point. I can't pull off a lot of stuff online and matches just devolve into weak punch spam combos (for those who don't know, if you keep hitting LP, you will do an auto combo which will use one stock to end it with a super if you have one available), special move fests (it's hard to dodge certain things when there's this much lag), and running away to let the timer count down.

Certain characters just dominate when there's lag, too. Geese because of his air and ground Reppuken and his counters (which get you every time you attempt to do something, it doesn't come, and a normal comes out instead -_-), and Nakoruru's Annu Mutsube, with its ground follow-up that pushes her away on block, is just godlike. You can spam it all day and stay insanely safe. I've OCV'd people using it. In offline play I'm sure it's a different story.

The only character who just seems to suck, sadly, is Xanadu. I've seen some others say the same. I've yet to play anyone using him, actually, but whenever I try him it just feels like an automatic disadvantage, lol. His normals aren't that great and his specials all come out too slowly.

Seen a pretty good mix of characters being used. Surprisingly way less Kyos and Ioris than I would have thought. The characters I have yet to play against are Xanadu, as noted, Tung, Sylvie, Kukri, Mui Mui, and the first boss (forget his name). Will be interesting seeing how this changes when the game is released.

Fingers are crossed that the patch does a lot of good. Otherwise I hope it gets a PC port since SNK has better luck with the online in their PC ports.

Uggghhhh I hope this ain't how it is on release, but I'm getting a little nervous.

Loona

Sent Tizoc a draft of a text about the story for the OT - might be a bit longish and focused on general series history, but hopefully if there's any issue with that, tomorrow there should still be time to adjust accordingly. Probably should have buckled down and sent something earlier, but i guess a semblance of a deadline tends to help me focus.

BadWolf

We need a El Rosa Xiaohai run back soon. He's just been dominating everyone who's been crossing his path

Looking forward to seeing that as well, though I'm sure Xiaohai is leveling up too since he also has access to the full game (there was a stream of him playing with a bunch of shirtless buddies).

Looking forward to seeing that as well, though I'm sure Xiaohai is leveling up too since he also has access to the full game (there was a stream of him playing with a bunch of shirtless buddies).
Really? Anyone one in particular he was using that could potentially make his tournament team? Or too early to tell?

Lyte Edge

Just did a run through of the Story mode. It's just your typical arcade mode. The prefight dialogue sequences only come up between certain characters and at least with the team I used, there was nothing about the main story mentioned.

In fact, the story, even for KOF, was more nonsensical than usual. You get CG cutscenes featuring the first boss, Antonov, setting up for KOF. He's a huge guy but basically a lovable goof
(love that he's crying at a movie featuring a puppy...which is named Anton, heh)
. Beat him and then...here comes Verse, with no explanation whatsoever. LOL.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Just did a run through of the Story mode. It's just your typical arcade mode. The prefight dialogue sequences only come up between certain characters and at least with the team I used, there was nothing about the main story mentioned.

In fact, the story, even for KOF, was more nonsensical than usual. You get CG cutscenes featuring the first boss, Antonov, setting up for KOF. He's a huge guy but basically a lovable goof
(love that he's crying at a movie featuring a puppy...which is named Anton, heh)
. Beat him and then...here comes Verse, with no explanation whatsoever. LOL.

flat,800x800,070,f.jpg

Try pickin' another team, some teams tell more about the story (I'll let you guess which ones)
Also you can't deny that the team endings are hella cool.

Legit laughed at Terry vs Tizoc prematch conversation.

Lyte Edge

Played a ranked match, holy shit someone was playing!

It was someone I've played in lobbies before. The connection did seem a bit better with it just being straight 1-on-1. I didn't realize that ranked forces you to play with your set team and won't let you pick your characters, but I still managed to get the win with Mai zoning shenanigans.

Then I switched to Street Fighter V, which I haven't played since getting KOF last Tuesday. Did some random online matches and the different was night and day. It feels like SFV was designed with online play in mind and KOF was designed as an offline game with online tacked on.

Can the patch change this? I hope so...I sound like a broken record here, but I really hope so.

Also you can't deny that the team endings are hella cool.

Yeah, they are. Lots of character cameos too.

It was someone I've played in lobbies before. The connection did seem a bit better with it just being straight 1-on-1. I didn't realize that ranked forces you to play with your set team and won't let you pick your characters, but I still managed to get the win with Mai zoning shenanigans.

Then I switched to Street Fighter V, which I haven't played since getting KOF last Tuesday. Did some random online matches and the different was night and day. It feels like SFV was designed with online play in mind and KOF was designed as an offline game with online tacked on.

Can the patch change this? I hope so...I sound like a broken record here, but I really hope so.

Yeah, they are. Lots of character cameos too.

Dat eight frames working into overtime. Same as blazblue with its five frame input buffer and Tekken tag tournament 2 frames. But if it helps online I guess that's good? But it ruins more defensive play since it goes from instantly reacting to a more predictive or read style.

Mechazawa

Not sure if posted, classic costume vid for kyo. Sound effects from older games with it too, pretty cool.

Maaaaan that is such a massive step up. Really puts into perspective how lame XIV's Kyo design is.

:(

How many times is SNK going to fuck up netcode.

Coda

Thinking my team is gonna be Vice, Zarina and Ramon. But I'm also interested in trying Bandeiras and a few others as well.

Really hope this patch fixes the games issues.

Can't wait for my premium edition. Still have the KOF 13 soundtrack. I wonder if SNK is gonna do us dirty and make DLC for music. KOF 12 was the only game that had music DLC that sadly enough improved the quality slightly with their tracks.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
OT is 99% done, and will go up after 12 hours from now.

(Has no idea what % he'd give it, actually!) I guess you've seen the updates to the DOC then, eh? I kinda wish it told me if someone was looking, just so I'd know, haha.

I'm awake for a while longer, so message me if anything comes to mind, or if you have any opinions.

smik

does this release in Australia tommorow?

im confuse, is it the 23rd or the 28th here, ebgames has it 28th and target 23rd

Good read from the Famitsu interview, this in particular made me laugh
Doing the facial expressions for all the characters was going to be a pain. So out of kindness to his staff, Oda decided to have three characters without facial expressions, like hiding them with a mask and whatnot.
That explains Mian and Kukri's design, although animating Mian's mask in her idle stance and every time she moves must have been a task.

BadWolf

Madman's Cafe started translating a recent Famitsu interview with the staff: http://www.mmcafe.com/news/posts/10211.html

Awesome interview, reading the dev intros made me fanboy out.

As expected the development must have been hell with all that they have been able to accomplish in about 2 years.

Can't wait for them to announce their next project. Don't think I can feel like they are truly back until they announce something other than KOF for a major title.

I also caught that Love Heart FMV trailer they released, the Production I.G. cutscenes are so good. They really set up quite the world for her, far beyond what you would expect. It could easily be turned into a great anime or character action game (for Neo_G to bless us with).

And to give you a sample of the special kind of silly I've put into the OT:

Beautiful!

Loona

OT is 99% done, and will go up after 12 hours from now.

Looks like most of my story writeup won't make it, but it's saved on my outbox, so if anyone's interest I guess I can post it in the OT later.

Looks like the demo - slightly interesting, considering I recall him reviewing XII, and in that review mentioning something how it lacked something resembling story mode or character moments of sorts, but felt like he was parroting stuff he read elsewhere, because when XIII came out sand solved those issues, as far as I could tell he gave it absolutely no public attention... let's see how it goes with XIV...

Anyone receive any updates on their Amazon orders for the Burn to Fight Edition? Just curious, as mine hasn't shipped yet according to the online status.

Top Bottom