• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

Terry A burn knuckle can be dp out of in a block string. cl. C (2 hits) into qcb+A has a gap where the opponent with invincible move can just let it ripped. Also, he will always be grabbed on recovery since grabs are no longer techable on special move recovery.

Gap or Punishable by regular grab in Route/ Block Strings:

1. cl. C (1 hit), df+C, [gap] qcb+A

2. [Midscreen] cl. C (2 hits), [gap] qcb+A

3. [Corner] cl. C (2 hits), qcb+A [punishable by regular grab]

4. [Midscreen] cr. C, [gap] qcb+A

5. [Corner] cr. C, qcb+A [punishable by regular grab]

6. cl. D, qcb+A [punishable by regular grab]
Whoa whoa, grabs are no longer techable on special move recovery!? I guess that makes throws a legitimate punish in this game?

Dang, Diving Tackle's unsafe on block? No one ever punishes it in the videos I've seen so I just assumed it was plus.

Does she rely on hops a lot as part of her gameplan? Even after all this time I still can't do them with 100% consistently during pressure (I can pull 'em off fine in neutral though) so it'd be nice if I were able to focus more on the ground game.

Yup just tried again in Training mode to be sure, Diving Tackle's unsafe on block, both light and strong version. The EX version is safe tho' if you do it close enough from the ground (I'd say around 0/-1)

Regarding the hops, her j.D is a great crossup tool, and it's really easy to c.b 2/3 times and hop jump crossup D. But i feel like you can't really abuse your hop jump in KOFXIV, i don't feel the need to do it with her to be honest.

I feel like more so than any other KoF, I'm getting far normals when I feel like I would've gotten close C/D in any other game.

Yeah if you have the game you should try to do Jump D, cl.C, f.B maxmode and cl.C again with Alice, that's nightmare fuel for me atm.

Amedo310

Whoa whoa, grabs are no longer techable on special move recovery!? I guess that makes throws a legitimate punish in this game?

Yes.

Also, there are gaps between Terry's heavy normals and his ground fireball, which can be beaten out of with an invincible move. For example, Kyo can just hcb+K through the gap to punish Terry. Terry seems to have slight slow start up on all his moves except qcb+B, qcb+BD, hcf+BD, qcb+AC and super moves.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Yes.

Also, there are gaps between Terry's heavy normals and his ground fireball, which can be beaten out of with an invincible move. For example, Kyo can just hcb+K through the gap to punish Terry. Terry seems to have slight slow start up on all his moves except qcb+B, qcb+BD, hcf+BD, qcb+AC and super moves.

I feel like this will happen a lot in this game; moves are Safe(ish) on hit, but your few fully / acutely Invincible moves can punish the gaps.

Considering you can max cancel directly into EX invincible moves out of block strings (Love doing this with Shun'Ei's EX DP), I just see this as a smart way to make all this meter and combo potential give one more strength to the attentive players, and add more depth to the game.

Even the "Braindead" stuff takes some thought, because it can be turned on you as soon as you go too deeply into auto-pilot. Really liking this aspect of it so far, because it feels like the game, as "simple" as it might be with it's "slow" hops and stuff, will have a lot of very nice specifics that can make things very interesting.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So I saw Team Mexico's ending...

...is King of Dinosaurs really reaching into his inner furry dinosaur? Tizoc That guy is playing the role too seriously!

How is Antonov supposed to play? I managed to try him out a little today but I got murdered too fast to really get a feel of him :T

So I saw Team Mexico's ending...

...is King of Dinosaurs really reaching into his inner furry dinosaur? Tizoc That guy is playing the role too seriously!

Could you pm me where you saw that?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
And the way the t-rex head animates really makes it look like an actual dinosaur head

PLOTTWIST! What if Tizoc is a dinosaur the whole time!

Could you pm me where you saw that?

sent, it's from twitter

I reckon it's only a snippet of the whole ending

And the way the t-rex head animates really makes it look like an actual dinosaur head

PLOTTWIST! What if Tizoc is a dinosaur the whole time!

sent, it's from twitter

I reckon it's only a snippet of the whole ending

Thank you

God I NEED this games story now. I can't resist anymore after the spoilers I heard today =.=

Is Geese's Raging Storm a simple input like in UM98 or pretzel like elsewhere

Both

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I love that the "Useless" command semi-throw seems to have a LOT of purpose now. Her juggles look so good! She's getting beyond-average damage off a single MAX meter with no DMs, too. VERY interesting.

BadWolf

I love that the "Useless" command semi-throw seems to have a LOT of purpose now. Her juggles look so good! She's getting beyond-average damage off a single MAX meter with no DMs, too. VERY interesting.

Indeed, I was lukewarm towards her at first but I'm looking forward to playing her about as much as Luong now.

She looks like Elena if they gave her a command grab

Zarina is based on Bob Wilson, who predates Elena by a lot.

BadWolf

For those Interested, SNK streamin' with Famitsu on their official Twitch Channel:
https://www.twitch.tv/snkofficial

They seem to be having a long discussion about Fuzzy, sounded like Kindevu said that he wouldn't mind if they left it in and then Neo_G goes in detail on the subject.

They also seem to have asked stuff about Ogura designing characters and netcode.

Hopefully Professor summarizes what they were talking about in this stream.

EDIT: Watching the archive and Nemo made Andy look really solid, they were all laughing at how strong he felt. Even asked Neo_G about it later lol.

Tizoc

Both ikari warriors and kyokugen teams' endings had put me off playing thru arcade mode to unlock stuff
3rd time's the charm so i may as well see team mexico's ending

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
CqZaAD4UIAAOyQj.jpg:orig

Watching Leona in Tourney felt way too familiar, lol. Especially when Rosa punished her for throwing an earring. All the stuff Visio was going for had a lot stricter timing than comboing people off standing normals into grounded confirms and damage. Also not much use of her instant overheads, or hopping A -> V-Slasher -> Slash Saber DM. Was very nice to see Slash Saber DM punish a projectile throw cleanly, though.

Watching Robert land full MAX combos off Light confirm chains looked great too. Bet Max cancelling into EX HienShippuKyaku would work there as well.

Xevren

Pre-load is going for the game now on psn for pre-orders...and the game unlocks at mid day Tuesday...?

First pre order that doesn't unlock at midnight I've seen :(

Memory

Pre-load is going for the game now on psn for pre-orders...and the game unlocks at mid day Tuesday...?

First pre order that doesn't unlock at midnight I've seen :(

Yeah my pre-load just kicked in, was hoping it would unlock earlier but then i saw the timer.

I wonder if the launch day patch is included in the pre-load or if it will update just before it unlocks.

Tizoc

OT goes up on Tuesday 12 AM my time.
Which is like 24 hours from :V
Wait were they boring or something?

AoF Team's got boring really fast.
The Kyokugen BBQ shop is funny but when they started talking about business plans, all my interest and impression of the ending dwindled away. Not even the Ryo and Butt getting fired up could save it because it came out after a minute or 2 of stuff that was borderline uninteresting.
The Ikari Warriors' team ending
reminded me of their 97 or 96 ending. The cameos were nice but they couldn't save an ending that...just hardly tells anything or shows the usual KoF fan what they don't already know
They were just uninteresting and uninspired.

Tripon

I need Butt in a KOF. Hopefully next year they do it, and put Yuri back on the women team. Put Alice on a young women team or something.

OT goes up on Tuesday 12 AM my time.
Which is like 24 hours from :V

AoF Team's got boring really fast.
The Kyokugen BBQ shop is funny but when they started talking about business plans, all my interest and impression of the ending dwindled away. Not even the Ryo and Butt getting fired up could save it because it came out after a minute or 2 of stuff that was borderline uninteresting.
The Ikari Warriors' team ending
reminded me of their 97 or 96 ending. The cameos were nice but they couldn't save an ending that...just hardly tells anything or shows the usual KoF fan what they don't already know
They were just uninteresting and uninspired.

surprised ctrl+F "dull" didn't return anything

Having seen quite a bit from leaks, the team China one raises a very interesting prospect in its final seconds, Team Mexico's is freaking adorable and Official Invitation's only makes me like Antonov more.

BadWolf

Professor with some quick translations from today's SNK/Famitsu stream:

Quick note- a few things about game balance that was discussed in the stream.

1/ Mai has been nerfed. To what degree is uncertain but her fans are easier to jump over now, and her ground CD is negative on block.

2/ Dinosaur runs faster

3/ Talking about Andy looking strong in the game, Neo-G commented that overall, characters in the game have been balanced to be strong and he wants to see people playing them for a while before thinking about additional balance patches. However it seems that the devs will take out glitches if they see them to be problems, like the F-Shiki/Fuzzy Guard.

4/ Regarding the fuzzy guard, Neo-G said that he and Hayato Watanabe (the other game designer) had a discussion whether it should be taken out or kept in as a technique, but considering it didn't really seem to match with KOF they decided to take it out. They're taking their time to review the reason and it seems that they might also fix a few other potential issues that may be happening because of it (no details on what that means).

Big Brett

Conflicted if I should start with this game. Didn't really like the feel of KOF13 but I enjoyed the demo for 14 a bit. SFV is my only fighting game, and i've got the PSN credit... should I bite the bullet?

Top Bottom