• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Observations/Problems I've had with online play, besides the lag:

1. When the lobby host quits, the entire room disbands, so you'll get booted out of your match and the lobby mid-game. Who thought this was a good idea?

2. The game has locked up on me several times when playing online. :|

3. There have been times where I could not join any open lobbies, even lobbies I'd joined earlier.

4. Perhaps some of the issues with lag have to do with the size of lobbies-- I played a guy yesterday several times. The first time I played him was in a 10 or 12 man lobby, that was full, and our matches were pretty laggy. The second time was in a lobby that was just the two of us...and the connection was great. Maybe it was just the host? Dunno.

So maybe smaller lobbies/ranked matches will be the way to play this. I haven't been able to try ranked since everybody has just been playing in lobbies when I've gone online.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
No, and has one been confirmed?

Yeah day one patch adds Legacy stick supports and Neo_G(od) just tweeted that it also adds online improvements.

Offtopic: I GOT IT URLEEEEH!!!!!!
Played about 3 hours of Story mode last night.

I wont leak anything but gotdamn if you're a fan of KOF this game has the best endings of the whole series.
The folks who wrote 'em clearly know and love KOF. I was marking out hard time on the few endings i saw. :3
(One in particular made me laugh, like legit IRL laugh)

Gameplay graphics sucks tho

Lyte Edge

Yeah, confirmed at EVO, I think. Day One patch to include legacy controller support and I'd assume some fixes

Edit: After EVO.
https://twitter.com/snkpofficial/status/764074909060390912
Yeah day one patch adds Legacy stick supports and Neo_G(od) just tweeted that it also adds online improvements.

Hope!
rejoice.png

But I'm still skeptical-- years of horrible SNK net code will do that to you. :/

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Hope!
rejoice.png

But I'm still skeptical-- years of horrible SNK net code will do that to you. :/
Real talk i expect nothing, i got the game just for the Single Player stuff. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BadWolf

Via MMCafe:

While early players of KOFXIV are already reporting that the game has good netcode, there's going to be additional improvements.

According to tweets by KOFXIV's lead game designer Neo-G, the game's day-one patch will not only feature legacy support, but it'll also include additional tweaks to the online. Whether this means there'll be tweaks to the netcode itself or simply that there'd be adjustments to the various modes for online play isn't clear.

In addition, KOFXIV game designer Hayato Watanabe announced today during the KOFXIV Dream Match Exhibition Tournament that Fuzzy Guard/F-Shiki wasn't intended to be in the game and the developers are currently trying to take it out. There will be a patch when the team figures out how to get rid of it.

Great to see them act quick like this.

Link please?

Exhibition archive: https://www.twitch.tv/snkofficial/v/84456948

Lyte Edge

Via MMCafe:

Great to see them act quick like this.

Will remain skeptical. The same things were promised for KOF XII and XIII.

And I mean...I want this game to work well online- I'm just not getting my hopes up anymore. I used to be the biggest SNK mark here and I just can't get excited for their games anymore because of how they've handled a lot of their releases over the past decade or so. :\

Also from that same article:
While early purchasers of KOFXIV are already reporting that the game has good netcode, there's going to be additional improvements.

LOLWUT

This isn't as bad as the joke that was XII online and XIII console, but it still needs a LOT of improvement. Even DOA5 Last Round works better online than this game does in its current state.

RedAssedApe

Banned

Lyte Edge

Reading some other impressions and it's really making me think that having just two-man lobbies with the streaming option turned off may make for a smooth experience. Will test this afternoon after work.

If small lobbies are the key to a good online experience...that's OK with me.

It's been hit and miss so far, sometimes it feels flawless sometimes it's laggy, this is connection in the same city.

I've had matches with people in other states that were buttery smooth. Can't say that about KOF XIII.

Rhapsody

Banned
Reading some other impressions and it's really making me think that having just two-man lobbies with the streaming option turned off may make for a smooth experience. Will test this afternoon after work.

If small lobbies are the key to a good online experience...that's OK with me.

I've had matches with people in other states that were buttery smooth. Can't say that about KOF XIII.

My friends are having the opposite. 1 on 1 lobbies feel terrible to them, having it lag and slow down. But when more people join in on the lobby, their connection somehow got better lol

Amedo310

Kensou has auto-gaurd on hcf+HP/C. The flying upward attack. It can beat Love Heart's Kick super if it is well placed. Also, it can beat full jump attacks too, of course.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
https://t.co/XrOx8oIfra

Mmh, quite enjoying the Zarina play. Great confirms with her long reaching quick normals, lots of wallbounce and stuff everywhere, using, CD for kara-movement with her leaping forward kick for confirms, etc, etc.

Oh, and very solid Kensou play. Quite enjoying watching that too.

BadWolf

That Billy damage.

Kensou has auto-gaurd on hcf+HP/C. The flying upward attack. It can beat Love Heart's Kick super if it is well placed. Also, it can beat full jump attacks too, of course.

Very cool addition, he is looking strong. Being able to combo after overhead and being able to combo said overhead after hard and light normals is excellent.

Mmh, quite enjoying the Zarina play. Great confirms with her long reaching quick normals, lots of wallbounce and stuff everywhere, using, CD for kara-movement with her leaping forward kick for confirms, etc, etc.

I really like that two hit command normal of her's and it comboing off of lights. Her normals are looking really effective.

I'm competing in/providing a setup for a KOFXIV tournament in Toronto this Saturday. Thinking of running Angel/Zarina/Alice (would Angel be better as point or anchor?) but I might swap out one of the newbies for Geese if I can't get them working in time.

On that note, do folks who already have the game consider Zarina and Alice to be difficult? Learning two characters from scratch in half a week is daunting but I really like them both and would rather only use Geese as a last resort if possible (though that CD -> Raging Storm -> OTG grab setup might get me out of a few jams).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
That was fun to watch. One thing I find kinda funny is that people were mostly only dropping combos because they were overly ambitious. Shun'Ei could have just went into a DM so many times, but he went for more wall bounces or additional uppercuts.

And so many resets that left an opponent alive and approaching a comeback. I liked seeing them, as we haven't seen as many MAX->Resets yet, but on a final round? Just kill 'em off!

Was especially nice to see some very Solid Billy play, too. Moves might not do what they did in a previous version for characters, but what they do now seems to have some good thought put behind it. Billy seems to be able to force standing with his cr.C just like Kyo, solidifying his damage and juggles.

MuiMui also seems to be able to combo into her command normal from Far cr.C?! Sounds great for MAX mode combos, since close normals can be a bit suspect off certain confirms.

Zarina looks exactly like what I want after playing Sylvie, Nelson, and Mai in the demo; someone who fights with normals kinda like Nelson's combos, but with the range and variety of Mai's, and that is entirely better ranged than almost everything Sylvie has, haha. Yet still with great close up confirms off lights, and unique hit situations.

Every time I see someone show the potential of a new character, I want to break up my old "mains" and make them captains of new separate teams. Just SO many characters that could end up as surprise hits (As mentioned, I like Shun'Ei more than I expected, for one), and there really looks to be unique fun sprinkled liberally through each member of the cast.

And they're streaming all the pool matches for XIV tomorrow, too. This will make the wait easier...

That stream had some great Billy play, which is great because he's one of the characters I have my eyes on.

Ahh...just a few days left. First thing I'm doing is hitting training mode with Chang and Xanadu. I've got ideas, and I needs to see if they work.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
On that note, do folks who already have the game consider Zarina and Alice to be difficult? Learning two characters from scratch in half a week is daunting but I really like them both and would rather only use Geese as a last resort if possible (though that CD -> Raging Storm -> OTG grab setup might get me out of a few jams).

Don't have the game yet, but personally, I'd like to avoid running characters that have too similar gameplans like Alice and Zarina at the same time. If your opponent gets great at shutting down your in-close mixup and pressure, you're left with little to make them uncomfortable, like projectiles, great command grapples, dangerous Chip damage, or armored moves.

As far as Angel for point or anchor... Hard to say. Are you great at using U.C stuff on it's own? You might be able to run her at point very effectively. But if you want to reply on easy floats/ confirms into DMs, and being able to use her counter DM, she might make a good anchor.

From the 4 you listed, I'd see this as strengths and weaknesses:

Geese: More all around than the others, can switch style from rushdown to turtling on the fly, gets great damage out out DMs, Raging Storm is a legit multi-level threat here.

Zarina: Seems to have easy stuff to use for genral attacks, and has a baby Rising storm in her Yellow Eruption DM, Seems honest, and low on dirty BS style trickery.

Alice: Doesn't leave herself in the best position for extended DM combos, but has solid basic damage. Run-away is gimmicky effective for now, Probably better up-front rather than as an anchor.

Angel: You seem comfortable with her, so might be your strongest? Sounds like a good mid-position choice.

Hm, okay. Who do most people think are stronger between Alice and Zarina? I'll run one of those two on point, Angel as mid and Geese as anchor so I can steal matches with CD Raging Storm shenanigans.

I also have a decent grasp on Terry from my CvS2 and KoF XI days but I've heard a lot of people saying that he's kind of garbage in XIV...

Hm, okay. Who do most people think are stronger between Alice and Zarina? I'll run one of those two on point, Angel as mid and Geese as anchor so I can steal matches with CD Raging Storm shenanigans.

I also have a decent grasp on Terry from my CvS2 and KoF XI days but I've heard a lot of people saying that he's kind of garbage in XIV...

I like Alice so far, especially in first position. She's solid, her qcf+a followup is positive on block (+2/3 i think), she has good pokes, her overhead is like, really fast with really good range. The only thing i don't like with her is that i, got a lot of far C/D instead of close C/D even when i feel like i'm in range. I thought it was me at first but Frionel talked about that too yesterday.

I like Alice so far, especially in first position. She's solid, her qcf+a followup is positive on block (+2/3 i think), she has good pokes, her overhead is like, really fast with really good range. The only thing i don't like with her is that i, got a lot of far C/D instead of close C/D even when i feel like i'm in range. I thought it was me at first but Frionel talked about that too yesterday.

Thanks, I'll take all of this into consideration. Can she special cancel 2C or only 2A? I've heard that doing the Duck King followup on QCF+A then continuing pressure with Diving Tackle is a really good blockstring but other than that I need to learn combos/pressure strings for her.

Slightly OT, but SNK just released a Sky Love (Love Heart's series) trailer on their YT Page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBlqXZua0Tg

I assume like the Dragon Gal trailer, this is just a look back or possible mobile port or something...?

Man I love how rich the world is. REALLY hope SNK is considering making a new game with these characters. I'd take any genre.

Thanks, I'll take all of this into consideration. Can she special cancel 2C or only 2A? I've heard that doing the Duck King followup on QCF+A then continuing pressure with Diving Tackle is a really good blockstring but other than that I need to learn combos/pressure strings for her.

She can cancel 2A and 2C. Regarding the roll followup it's a good blockstring but you're unsafe on block (When i block that with Alice for example, i can 2B->5B-Rekka)

Oh and yeah, i forgot to talk about 2B->5B : 5B is a 2-hit move, cancellable (With light rekka for example). Really easy to hit confirm stuff with that.

She can cancel 2A and 2C. Regarding the roll followup it's a good blockstring but you're unsafe on block (When i block that with Alice for example, i can 2B->5B-Rekka)

Oh and yeah, i forgot to talk about 2B->5B : 5B is a 2-hit move, cancellable (With light rekka for example). Really easy to hit confirm stuff with that.

Dang, Diving Tackle's unsafe on block? No one ever punishes it in the videos I've seen so I just assumed it was plus.

Does she rely on hops a lot as part of her gameplan? Even after all this time I still can't do them with 100% consistently during pressure (I can pull 'em off fine in neutral though) so it'd be nice if I were able to focus more on the ground game.

BadWolf

You guys are in for a treat with the OT, SAB CA is going nuts with creating amazing pixel art and animation for it.

If by garbage you mean that Terry has been considered one of the stronger characters since first being playable and is much better than he was in XIII then yeah... he's garbage :p

Screens of the Day and of the Official Cosplay

Dat Alice, her cosplay potential is high.

If by garbage you mean that Terry has been considered one of the stronger characters since first being playable and is much better than he was in XIII then yeah... he's garbage :p

Wait, really? Obviously I haven't had a chance to play him and test for myself but during the EVO tournament I saw a couple of pro players calling him unviable and a few more dropping him from the lineup after failing to get results.

Maybe I'll consider him as a sub if he's truly not bad, then. Hmm, potential side time of Terry/Zarina/Love Heart perhaps?

Rhapsody

Banned

I feel like more so than any other KoF, I'm getting far normals when I feel like I would've gotten close C/D in any other game.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
How was that the first time I've seen Angel on the WINNER! screen in all this time? lol. Will post the screen if anyone takes one...

Still wish they would have stayed with sprites :/

I loved the XIII sprites more than possibly anyone around... but I can't fault them for what they accomplished here. I don't know of any company on the planet currently that could make XIII level sprites with this kinda content and make a reasonable profit, or get the game out in less than a decade, heh.

I really think there should be a place for classically 2D companies to continue their craft in smaller, more focused works. NISA does a pretty nice job with portable stuff, for example. And the WIld Guns Reloaded game is like a dream come true for a focused, HD'n of an SNES game to something around Super Neo Geo-ish standards.

SNK made the right call for trying to actually bring back their games division as more than a team that's always on a single, thin lifeline. I hope that they can explore more and more avenues as time goes on, just like they did in the earlier console / arcade eras.

Amedo310

Yup, a safe burn knuckle on block sounds like a nightmare to deal with

Terry A burn knuckle can be dp out of in a block string. cl. C (2 hits) into qcb+A has a gap where the opponent with invincible move can just let it ripped. Also, he will always be grabbed on recovery since grabs are no longer techable on special move recovery.

Gap or Punishable by regular grab in Route/ Block Strings:

1. cl. C (1 hit), df+C, [gap] qcb+A

2. [Midscreen] cl. C (2 hits), [gap] qcb+A

3. [Corner] cl. C (2 hits), qcb+A [punishable by regular grab]

4. [Midscreen] cr. C, [gap] qcb+A

5. [Corner] cr. C, qcb+A [punishable by regular grab]

6. cl. D, qcb+A [punishable by regular grab]

Top Bottom