• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

BadWolf

This is the best level of play seen yet.

Nemo is already geting a hang of max mode combos and they are doing proper punishes.

As previously theorized, you can only get in about 2 EX moves if you activate max mode mid combo.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
so if I get it right

all DMs now have Super variants like in 98, unlike in XII where only selected DMs had supers (and I think only Terry had all DMs with Super variants), and rach has a level 3 DM?

BadWolf

so if I get it right

all DMs now have Super variants like in 98, unlike in XII where only selected DMs had supers (and I think only Terry had all DMs with Super variants), and rach has a level 3 DM?

Yeah all supers have EX versions now. So level 1 and level 2.

Climax DMs are the level 3 supers.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It finally stabilized again for me at the end, was nice to see some real matches and attempts at using the games new systems.

They really have added rules and understanding to KoF XIII's systems. Using EX's into EX's works out pretty nicely. This should make a lot more sense to the average player compared to "Cancel the DP on the right hit, and the Hienshippukyaku will just.. work!"

Proper Climax DMs feel pretty short in gameplay. Very similar to Neomax's in that regard.

I'm happy with the new motions we're seeing in EX specials. Definitely one of the benefits of using 3D models, much easier to have unique animations. I wish we got to see more EX DMs in action, though.

All in all, it was a solid stream for seeing some good exploration of the new systems and mechanics... WHEN IT WAS WORKING. It's continually impressive how well they've nailed this overall gameplay, even the reportedly slower jumps and hops look just as aggressive when used with the right moves and techniques. Jumping normals seem to very safely confirm into ground combos too, BTW, which is good to see. I had quite a few times in 2k2UM where they felt much less consistent than 98's timing. This feels as trustworthy as XIII's, where I feel light jump ins became a bit stronger than normal.

Beckx

Loona

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1205822&page=100000

So what's the situation here? Thread is just full of vague replies.

I'm only vaguely aware of some pretty big delays with the European distribution of Persona 4 Arena (under Atlus's jurisdiction), which was region-locked to boot.

KoF XIII did have another distributor back in the day, Rising Star Games, so there's the hope that they or someone else can handle Europe.

Considering Sony's handling XIV trailers first in their official PlayStation Youtube channel, I wonder if they'll step in to ensure inernational distribution in some manner.

On the other hand, the only PS blog that's been covering XIV in English is the asian one...

Scotia

Banned
Thanks for the replies guys.

I hope there isn't too big of a delay for the game in Europe. It's been really good getting hyped about the game with everyone and it'd be a major letdown for it to get delayed.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Andy protrait looks waaaaay better now.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
LoL at Billy's Climax FLICK. That's... definitely to the point. My stream jumped a few secs right when it happened live, thanks for finding it!

Amedo310

Maximum Impact moves showing up as EX moves? Iori's EX rekka is his Maximum impact 2 or MIRA strong rekka.

Omg. Robert can finally do f+A, dive kick special, DP in the corner.

BadWolf

LoL at Billy's Climax FLICK. That's... definitely to the point. My stream jumped a few secs right when it happened live, thanks for finding it!

Np, it's seriously awesome.

Robert st.CD fireball pressure looks legit now with that wall splat, better be ready to GC roll that.

Much like Andy, Robert looks more solid in general compared XIII.

He lost his command cross-up iirc but his air Hien seems safer in XIV and has better push-back on block. And like you mentioned, that st.CD into fireball is going to be very effective for him, and many other characters as well I'm sure.

TreIII

I love it. It's much more simple compared to Billy's overdrawn HSDMs in the past, and yet still is stylish.

Also love how, so far, Climaxes are pretty quick instead of being 20-30 second cinematic.

BadWolf

Also love how, so far, Climaxes are pretty quick instead of being 20-30 second cinematic.

Yeah this is great, they have some cinematic angles to them (also with the start up of the EX DMs) but the duration of supers/Climaxes seems the same as in the 2D games.

And the combos in general seem quick and flashy.

PSqueak

Banned
Am i the only one saddened that they removed Candy from Kula's victory pose and that means likely Diana isn't coming back for hers either?

I hope meter gain is still getting tweaked, it looked like it gave you a bit too much for getting bopped compared to what you build for attacking. Nothing major but still.

Amedo310

New K' theme is whack. AOF and Iori themes are the best from the demo. I personally like the new Esaka theme. Fatal fury or prisoner theme sound alike one of Kim's themes and a ikari team theme mixed together.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I hope meter gain is still getting tweaked, it looked like it gave you a bit too much for getting bopped compared to what you build for attacking. Nothing major but still.
Well this build was quite old, the new stuff is being show later this month on SNKP Twitch channel ....

YES! SNKP has a twitch channel!!!

Watching the stream now. Looking good. A few points

I wish they could animate Iori's hair a bit (at least to allow the air to part when facing left so u can see the Riot Blood Eye instead of the biink going through the hair

I'm still worried as far as how approachable Maxmode canceling is going to be. I almost prefered the pause before as it felt it would be just enough to input whatever the next part of the maxmode combo would be. I guess I'll have to try myself later on. I just hope that this isn't a mechanic that I'll never be able to take advantage of due to my poor execution skills.

The Stage BGMs so far have sounded pretty damn good with Arashi No Saxaphone really standing out the most. The particle effects looks pretty snazzy.

Amedo310

Watching the stream now. Looking good. A few points

I wish they could animate Iori's hair a bit (at least to allow the air to part when facing left so u can see the Riot Blood Eye instead of the biink going through the hair

I'm still worried as far as how approachable Maxmode canceling is going to be. I almost prefered the pause before as it felt it would be just enough to input whatever the next part of the maxmode combo would be. I guess I'll have to try myself later on. I just hope that this isn't a mechanic that I'll never be able to take advantage of due to my poor execution skills.

The Stage BGMs so far have sounded pretty damn good with Arashi No Saxaphone really standing out the most. The particle effects looks pretty snazzy.

Strange that Iori has that detail when the Nelson's mechanic arm magically switches sides.

As for quick max activation, it will likely be close to xiii hd activation. I'm basing my conclusion from Iori doing far st. D, quick max, cl. C. It would be hard for Iori to do that in 02um's max mode.

BadWolf

The pause in the old build was only for raw max activation, there was no pause if you activated in the middle of a combo.

Overall max mode looks to be a lot more accessible than XIII's HD mode. You can fire up that game if you have it right now and do XIV style combos by not doing any drive cancels in the combo.

If XIV also has HD bypass like XIII did then it should be even more accessible.

Also, max mode will be useful outside of combos as well, unlike HD.

BadWolf

Having two announcers, one male and one female, is such a nice touch.

One is attached to Player 1 and the other to Player 2.

MAX Mode cancels/combos looking a lot more solid in this stream. Robert looking like he has more in his disposal this time around.

All the characters felt solid but Robert did seem like the highlight.

Also, it seemed like they couldn't figure out how to combo with Chang.

OmegaDL50

Interesting juggle potential with Robert that I never seen before in a KOF game, especially in regards to his Hien Shippu Kyaku

I remember in KOFXIII it was a two hit knockdown, I always liked the multi-hitting spinning kick variant they introduced in KOF 96 and reused throughout the series.

The EX version seems to travel upwards in an arc but with the juggle potential being to link into either a Ranbu or possibly his Climax.

One thing I liked about Takuma in KOF98 was that his Hien had a juggle property that could be instantly followed up with a Zanretsuken or Haoh Shi Koh Ken.
So I wonder if this makes the first time in the series Robert could also launch the opponent into a state that allows a follow up into a Hoahshokoken.

I know in KOF2001 or 2002, Robert had this close range Backfist move that launched the opponent. which it's recovery frames weren't enough to follow up with many moves.

Robert has always been one of my long time characters I've heavily used in my team rotation. Either him or Takuma were generally always a major part of my team, but since Takuma is absent for this release, these new tricks Robert has for juggle potential with EX's linking into his supers gives him some much prefered combo potential I haven't seen in some time.

Looking forward to this games release.

Elixist

I love it. It's much more simple compared to Billy's overdrawn HSDMs in the past, and yet still is stylish.

agreed. glam cam supers get old, these seem ok.

Sayad

- Don't like the lack of Foxy and Diana assist super for Kula
- 3D characters portraits look lifeless, only use 3D portrait if you can make them live moving models like SFV/MKX, otherwise, stick to 2D artworks SNK
- Leona still have her instant overhead into super <3

JayEH

They definitively need to add something to the character select screen to give it more flair. But again this is an older build it could be changed now.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I just love how no one ever really seems to gel with Leona, lol. We've seen all this new stuff and combo potential with characters that haven't been in the game as long as her, and she just looks like she's got predominately the same old tricks...

At least her Autocombo looks nice? *shrug* I'm guessing all her new and fun will lie within the use of Grand Saber's EX form, but I'd love for Earring Bakudan to get some new use, instead of "As an EX, it won't get you killed!", lol. You can get Ranbu'd throwing that thing at full screen range. Take it away, and give me "Heart Attack" instead (and her air throw), and I'll be cool!

All the characters felt solid but Robert did seem like the highlight.

Also, it seemed like they couldn't figure out how to combo with Chang.

I can't watch those highlight reels right now, but I hope that Chang is at least decent in this game. Hasn't Chang always been at the bottom rung in terms of competitive viability/tier lists? I've never really been interested in playing Chang until now.

It hasn't really dawned on me until recently that this NEW King of Fighters game is going to come with 50 characters, an almost unprecedented number when it comes to fighting games of recent years, and that makes me really happy.

TreIII

I can't watch those highlight reels right now, but I hope that Chang is at least decent in this game. Hasn't Chang always been at the bottom rung in terms of competitive viability/tier lists? I've never really been interested in playing Chang until now.

Actually? If I remember correctly, Chang was high on the tier list in vanilla '98. Forgot if 98UM changed his standing that much.

Actually? If I remember correctly, Chang was high on the tier list in vanilla '98. Forgot if 98UM changed his standing that much.

You are right about Chang being regarded as a really good character in vanilla 98. I never played vanilla 98, only 98UM.

I'll have to scour some match vids of 98 Chang. I just never really heard Chang given high praise in the KOF games that I played with him in it(99 and onward), so I never really tried playing him. He's always been a character that I've liked, so seeing him back in prisoner garb makes me giddy.

N4Us

I just love how no one ever really seems to gel with Leona, lol. We've seen all this new stuff and combo potential with characters that haven't been in the game as long as her, and she just looks like she's got predominately the same old tricks...

It might be tough seeing as how she's basically her XIII self but with Drive Cancels and basic EX uses gone. Considering she had so much use for those it may be an awkward shift to the new system.

At least you can do cl.C/D>f.B>C AirSlash out of the corner now.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I can't watch those highlight reels right now, but I hope that Chang is at least decent in this game.
From what it looks like so far, His big Mace Swing Can absord and go through projectiles well, and the EX version of THAT pops them up nicely into the air, for... something else. The HUGE standing C upswing seems to be horrific (with loads of open air after the attack misses), but his Jump C and CD look pretty solid from what they showed.

I thought it kinda nice that his CDM also seems to keep attacking after swing 1 on a whiff, rather than stopping if it doesn't confirm the cinematic. This might be useful for Chip? But who knows.

It hasn't really dawned on me until recently that this NEW King of Fighters game is going to come with 50 characters, an almost unprecedented number when it comes to fighting games of recent years, and that makes me really happy.

It's a great feeling! I see lots around the net (most recently MMCafe) worried on balance and such, but I feel SNKP has done a good job (even in recent years) of balancing games on 1st or second blush. Now they have a bit more money and a return of a lot of old talent. I think they can make a good run of things to start, and I think they're good at fixing whatever they miss later on, so I'm not so worried about that.

It might be tough seeing as how she's basically her XIII self but with Drive Cancels and basic EX uses gone. Considering she had so much use for those it may be an awkward shift to the new system.

At least you can do cl.C/D>f.B>C AirSlash out of the corner now.

I just always worry that she might not have the basic tools I want her to have, lol. The C. X.Calibur note is a good catch, I hope it means she can get a followup after it in SOME kind of situation. I'd love if they gave her this kick back for the end of EX Grand Saber, and have it cause ground bounce, haha.

Leona98_juB.png

Of course, maybe I should just be happy If they give her the ultra low-profile ability to run under projectiles again...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I kinda miss Haidern now though. Especially those GO TO HELL.

A bit off topic, but I find it weird that his qcf p super never restores health despite the graphics making it look like he's sucking the blood of his enemy.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I kinda miss Haidern now though. Especially those GO TO HELL.

A bit off topic, but I find it weird that his qcf p super never restores health despite the graphics making it look like he's sucking the blood of his enemy.

Billy Says "Go To HELL!" too!... But you're right, it's no replacement, haha. In games with no Heidern, can I give Leona Storm Bringer? You say her normal "Appley Juice!" throw is the same thing, without life leach? BUT IT'S NOT!! (TT_TT)

Oh, and the Final Bringer DOES leach life... I was abusing said tactics VS my brother in 2K2UM just the other day, lol. I love the Coagulating blood bubble that appeared above the SDM version, ha.

I kinda miss Leona's Grateful Dead and Gravity Storm Supers now...
leona-white-fire.gif

Top Bottom