• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

TreIII

Ugh, Chang's ranbu super looks so silly in 3D CGI =_=
Everything else looks great though.

To be fair, it looked pretty silly in 2D, too. It's just that his rapid fire animations, with no real transitions in between, weren't as noticeable.

Tizoc

To be fair, it looked pretty silly in 2D, too. It's just that his rapid fire animations, with no real transitions in between, weren't as noticeable.

You can excuse it in 2D cuz it looked funny and goofy, but in CGI...not so much

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It's a "CGI" game animated like a 2D game. It looks just as goofy now as it did then.

Dan's "Ranbu" in SFIV has more flowing motions, doesn't make it any better.

I like the way Chang's actions are extra big, making the speed look almost loony-toons, especially for the EXDM version. Considering he has random endings to the move, it fits!

Also, gotta give props to his team victory screen pose. Truly, the most badass victory ever!

Tizoc

It's a "CGI" game animated like a 2D game. It looks just as goofy now as it did then.

Dan's "Ranbu" in SFIV has more flowing motions, doesn't make it any better.

I like the way Chang's actions are extra big, making the speed look almost loony-toons, especially for the EXDM version. Considering he has random endings to the move, it fits!

Also, gotta give props to his team victory screen pose. Truly, the most badass victory ever!

That's not an excuse; Guilty Gear XX had ranbu supers whose animations were altered in Xrd such as Chipp's ranbu super.
Hell Dan's ranbu super was quick and looked nicely animated.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
That's not an excuse; Guilty Gear XX had ranbu supers whose animations were altered in Xrd such as Chipp's ranbu super.
Hell Dan's ranbu super was quick and looked nicely animated.

It's not an excuse, it's their style. The game has some moves that obviously are animated with the "Snap" of 2D, just like Guilty Gear. GG could add more transition frames and still maintain "2D" animation if it wanted to, but they generally don't either.

KoF animates Ranbus and certain things by choice, not because they can't do better. Some Ranbu's slide the enemy forward while the opponent attacks, some have the attacker root in place and attack the enemy, some are specifically made to look smooth, some are jumpy with large actions, some are smoother due to small actions, and some go at ridiculous speeds for various effects.

It's an effect of a large cast of characters being made by different designers over a large number of years. But it also works by "luck" in the fact that it helps give the massive cast defining motions traits, as well.

I rather like how they absorb all of this into their "style" over time. Even when transitioning to 3D, they're keeping quirks that make the characters feel like themselves. A lot of series lose these types of things in 3D.

TreIII

I rather like how they absorb all of this into their "style" over time. Even when transitioning to 3D, they're keeping quirks that make the characters feel like themselves. A lot of series lose these types of things in 3D.

Yeah, and that's what they were going for, here. They truly wanted to make a game that largely looked and "felt" like a MVS game using 3D graphics, and judging by what we've seen and impressions so far, it looks like they succeeded.

Even some of the MVS-style jank is going to make it through, and oddly enough, I appreciate that.

Tizoc

Well IMHO, they didn't need to keep the ranbus, I was fine with Chang just having the body splash as his super, but as decently animated much of the game is, the ranbus just feel...out of place.
If you're gonna have such ranbu supers at least make them LOOK less goofy than they look now, like say reduce the attacks (and there by hits) that they do.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Yeah, and that's what they were going for, here. They truly wanted to make a game that largely looked and "felt" like a MVS game using 3D graphics, and judging by what we've seen and impressions so far, it looks like they succeeded.

Even some of the MVS-style jank is going to make it through, and oddly enough, I appreciate that.

No joke, like The particular screenshot of Robert's HK hitting King who'se behind him. Talk about proof you're using some honest-to-goodness KOF hitboxes, lol. You know it's KoF when you're able to hit characters before they turn, and all combo videos have a "Throw a fireball and run to the wall for very unlikely hit reactions" segment, ha.

Adding in too many frames and such can make games feel sluggish, even if the motions are the same begin and end speed. The "Floaty" jumps are a perfect example of this. It's good to make a modern MVS KoF for XIV, if they want to bring it more to a more averaged 2.5D, they can do that once their new animators have some MVS-Era jank in their DNA.

I think we'll all ultimately be better off for it, honestly.

Well IMHO, they didn't need to keep the ranbus, I was fine with Chang just having the body splash as his super, but as decently animated much of the game is, the ranbus just feel...out of place.
If you're gonna have such ranbu supers at least make them LOOK less goofy than they look now, like say reduce the attacks (and there by hits) that they do.

Ranbu's and Zanretsuken's are some of my fav SNK staples, so I'm quite glad to see them, and in traditional SNK styles. I can see KI style Ultras in KI, and Guilty Gear style animations in it and Blazblue. I want SNK style motions in my KoF. :) I get where you're coming from, though!

bruh you can't just reduce Iori's savagery before he burns them

it's WRONG

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
CfuuFEvUYAApkwy.jpg:orig

BadWolf

^Heh, SNK must be in a joking mood. That sand from the sky move of Kukri's reminds me of Kain's super from Garou MOTW.

Also, interesting vid: KOFXIV - Damage Comparison

Generally speaking moves/combos in XIV do either less damage or the same damage as XIII, depends on the move/combo.

The big difference is of course in the resources. You need less meter to do said damage in XIV in most cases.

Amedo310

I normally don't play singles arcade mode. Did past KOF haves any unlocks soley behind single arcade mode?

Also, would fighting games, in general, benefit from having stuff from the development process as unlockables? Stuff better than just sketches or character protraits. For example, in KOF's single arcade mode, completing single arcade for a character unlocks a clip of that character's creation or development process for that particular kof game.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
^Heh, SNK must be in a joking mood. That sand from the sky move of Kukri's reminds me of Kain's super from Garou MOTW.

Kukri brings out the goof in all of us already! What a guy, ha.

Also, interesting vid: KOFXIV - Damage Comparison

Generally speaking moves/combos in XIV do either less damage or the same damage as XIII, depends on the move/combo.

The big difference is of course in the resources. You need less meter to do said damage in XIV in most cases.

It's interesting seeing how worried or offput people are by damage or combos around the web. The game that bothered me most in this respect will always be KoF XI, otherwise, I like the shifts. The lost of tools due to EX's being locked behind MAX has my attention more than damage values, which I feel are still pretty up in the air, especially with advanced cancels being basically unexplored.

AT_Ryo's stuff is really great to, I love the production value he has.

I normally don't play singles arcade mode. Did past KOF haves any unlocks soley behind single arcade mode?

Also, would fighting games, in general, benefit from having stuff from the development process as unlockables? Stuff better than just sketches or character protraits. For example, in KOF's single arcade mode, completing single arcade for a character unlocks a clip of that character's creation or development process for that particular kof game.

There's been "Thank you for playing!" Art locked behind special teams. EX characters were locked in 98 UM and 2k2UM's first releases behind beating the characters first. I think characters were locked in XI behind beating SP and the Challenge missions.

I think it'd be great for fighters to make seeing how they're made a part of playing them. People would appreciate the details and such more by this. But now-a-days, why not use such bonuses as promotional vids on YouTube, or in special editions?

Stage viewers. model viewers, custom color slots, model modifications (such as being able to remove hats / jackets ' armor from costumes), and special win poses or quotes (that only make sense once you've seen a characters story) would be nice bonuses to put behind SP. It's the kind of thing that only makes sense to see within the game's walls itself, and it lends right back to enriching the MP / later SP play though experiences.

BadWolf

It's interesting seeing how worried or offput people are by damage or combos around the web. The game that bothered me most in this respect will always be KoF XI, otherwise, I like the shifts. The lost of tools due to EX's being locked behind MAX has my attention more than damage values, which I feel are still pretty up in the air, especially with advanced cancels being basically unexplored.

AT_Ryo's stuff is really great to, I love the production value he has.

Yeah he does good work.

It's too early to worry but the only thing that is kind of concerning to me is that max mode activation is so cheap in terms of resources.

It kind of makes it pointless to do non-max mode combos if you have any meter at all. And it also allows for damaging combos to occur starting from lows, far normals etc. a lot more frequently since you just need 1 power bar to activate instead of an entire HD bar.

TreIII

It's too early to worry but the only thing that is kind of concerning to me is that max mode activation is so cheap in terms of resources.

It kind of makes it pointless to do non-max mode combos if you have any meter at all. And it also allows for damaging combos to occur starting from lows, far normals etc. a lot more frequently since you just need 1 power bar to activate instead of an entire HD bar.

Well, in many ways, it sounds like we're just taking things back to how things were in 02/UM. We just got the EX Moves on top of everything else to go along with the usual Max Mode shenanigans.

If that be the case, then I imagine that, much like 02/UM, meter usage will probably be kept in reigns because nobody wants to be caught without meter that could be used for the sake of a timely Guard Cancel (or GC Roll), Attack Cancel Rolls (for those chars that would benefit from them), or at worse, blowing a Max Mode Cancel as a way to cover your ass/bait a guard cancel. And that says nothing about if you're the kind that wants to try and built up as much meter for your last char, as possible (especially, if you were a K9999/Nameless player).

I almost wish that ATRyoSakazaki would go the extra step to compare damage from XIV to 02/UM, because again, it's really looking more and more that this is the game that the team is chasing after (and with good reason, because it is THE choice KOF game in Japan, at least).

Loona

The fallen chandelier in the background reminds me of clone Zero's stage - intentional, since it's K's team's stage?

I'm looking forward to the Kensou reveal - I'm not into shipping, but I get the impression that setting-wise he and Mui Mui would work well together...

BadWolf

Well, in many ways, it sounds like we're just taking things back to how things were in 02/UM. We just got the EX Moves on top of everything else to go along with the usual Max Mode shenanigans.

If that be the case, then I imagine that, much like 02/UM, meter usage will probably be kept in reigns because nobody wants to be caught without meter that could be used for the sake of a timely Guard Cancel (or GC Roll), Attack Cancel Rolls (for those chars that would benefit from them), or at worse, blowing a Max Mode Cancel as a way to cover your ass/bait a guard cancel. And that says nothing about if you're the kind that wants to try and built up as much meter for your last char, as possible (especially, if you were a K9999/Nameless player).

Meter management wasn't exactly the reason that BC mode gets used less in 02/UM, its more that it was better implemented and more viable to use in XIII and was super useful for pretty much the entire cast, even grapplers. Starting combos from lights, overheads, far normals, air, instant air specials, anywhere juggle neomaxes, guard break strings etc., there is a ton you can do in XIII with HD.

When I catch some 02/UM matches I often see them sit on quite a bit of meter and it feels like there isn't much for them to do with it. Some characters like Nameless or whatever take advantage of the BC system but with a lot of other characters players just don't even bother.

So far Max mode looks closer in usefulness in terms of application and execution to XIII (minus the drive cancel system) compared to 02/UM.

Either way you are right in that meter is useful for a lot of other things other than combos, especially in XIV where you can give yourself access to up to 5 EX moves on one raw activation. It will be interesting how the game develops in the competitive scene for sure.

BadWolf

TreIII

Meter management wasn't exactly the reason that BC mode gets used less in 02/UM, its more that it was better implemented and more viable to use in XIII and was super useful for pretty much the entire cast, even grapplers. Starting combos from lights, overheads, far normals, air, instant air specials, anywhere juggle neomaxes, guard break strings etc., there is a ton you can do in XIII with HD.

When I catch some 02/UM matches I often see them sit on quite a bit of meter and it feels like there isn't much for them to do with it. Some characters like Nameless or whatever take advantage of the BC system but with a lot of other characters players just don't even bother.

So far Max mode looks closer in usefulness in terms of application and execution to XIII (minus the drive cancel system) compared to 02/UM.

Either way you are right in that meter is useful for a lot of other things other than combos, especially in XIV where you can give yourself access to up to 5 EX moves on one raw activation. It will be interesting how the game develops in the competitive scene for sure.

Well, with XIII, I think the "problem" is that it went into completely the other direction and fostered another style of play. And in short, turning the game into a heavily combo-oriented game was what made it feel so "un-KOF-like" to me and others.

If there's any lingering concern that I do worry about when it comes to XIV, especially as Max Mode shenanigans are coming into play, is that it'll be a bit more like XIII and less like the "return to 98/02/UM...in 3D" that they promised at the outset. Not only because of my personal preference, but because it seemed like the Director wanted to make the game "easier to play" for possible neophytes. Any game that relies on heavy meter management and opens the door for custom combos usually is the antithesis of an "approachable" title hahaha.

BadWolf

Well, with XIII, I think the "problem" is that it went into completely the other direction and fostered another style of play. And in short, turning the game into a heavily combo-oriented game was what made it feel so "un-KOF-like" to me and others.

If there's any lingering concern that I do worry about when it comes to XIV, especially as Max Mode shenanigans are coming into play, is that it'll be a bit more like XIII and less like the "return to 98/02/UM...in 3D" that they promised at the outset. Not only because of my personal preference, but because it seemed like the Director wanted to make the game "easier to play" for possible neophytes. Any game that relies on heavy meter management and opens the door for custom combos usually is the antithesis of an "approachable" title hahaha.

I loved that "problem" since between even just the EX moves and drive cancels the game allowed for a lot of variation and creativity in its combos. And there's so many shenanigans from stun combos to anywhere juggles, it's just so fun.

And iirc what he said was that they were trying to please all the fans of 98/02/XIII since those are the most popular games in the series, not just 98/02. And going by the impressions of Laban, (who dislikes XIII and loves 98) they are succeeding so far in appealing to both old and new school fans.

Dunno man, they are making max mode useful to even beginners (who wouldn't like chucking 5 EX fireballs in a row for 1 bar?), have introduced Rush combos, slowed down jumping pressure a little and have introduced more visually intuitive combo extenders (wall bounce and ground bounce). Normals are also stronger than in XIII according to Laban. The combo system overall is much easier than XIII. So yeah, they seem to be doing a decent job of making the game more accessible while not dumbing it down for fans of the series, which is always a key concern when a dev says they want to make something more accessible.

Also wouldn't be surprised if the execution will be more lenient than in XIII since the reason they made it more strict there was because people complained of frequent accidental drive cancels during XIII's beta test.

BadWolf

http://gematsu.com/2016/04/atlus-publish-king-fighters-xiv-americas

Revamped Online Experience: The King of Fighters XIV has devoted a lot of development time to improving the game’s netcode for vastly improved online gameplay. The King of Fighters XIV uses the PS4’s online architecture to have a whole host of online conveniences, from spectating to saving replay/battle data, and having a single online The King of Fighters XIV profile to connect with friends.

*fingers crossed*

Interesting:

A new Training Mode will let beginners and experienced players connect for tutoring.

TreIII

I loved that "problem" since between even just the EX moves and drive cancels the game allowed for a lot of variation and creativity in its combos. And there's so many shenanigans from stun combos to anywhere juggles, it's just so fun.

And iirc what he said was that they were trying to please all the fans of 98/02/XIII since those are the most popular games in the series, not just 98/02. And going by the impressions of Laban, (who dislikes XIII and loves 98) they are succeeding so far in appealing to both old and new school fans.

Dunno man, they are making max mode useful to even beginners (who wouldn't like chucking 5 EX fireballs in a row for 1 bar?), have introduced Rush combos, slowed down jumping pressure a little and have introduced more visually intuitive combo extenders (wall bounce and ground bounce). Normals are also stronger than in XIII according to Laban. The combo system overall is much easier than XIII. So yeah, they seem to be doing a decent job of making the game more accessible while not dumbing it down for fans of the series, which is always a key concern when a dev says they want to make something more accessible.

Also wouldn't be surprised if the execution will be more lenient than in XIII since the reason they made it more strict there was because people complained of frequent accidental drive cancels during XIII's beta test.

And again, time will tell. I definitely do remember Laban speaking the game's praises, which is a great part of the reason I stood up and paid attention. It's just that it's probably been a while since he got some time with the game, so I'm hoping what good vibes he felt will stay up through the next few demonstrations of the game, up to release.

But on to brighter news! Atlus will at least mean that the game will have a competent dub and some nice swank for the preorder/collector's edition. Like I said in the other topic though...hopefully, the memes will be kept to a minimum in the script!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
GET IN THE RI- *ahem* Coolness. Can I get Shining Wizard back while we're at it?

And yes, glad to hear Atlus is back to pubbing duties. Since XIII's translation to Europe was really quick,I'm surprised people think this one won't end up being as smooth. SNK is working with the same partners, with a potentially "better" product. Europe should hopefully go smooth again, too!

The drip of features and more detail from that press release was nice. It's nice to hear a bit more about the features that'll surround our core fighting product.

Top Bottom