• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It's a bit silly how many "I Wish SNK would..." statements that KoF XIV Station fulfills for me.

They talked about the Voice Acting, got pro-players to exibit the characters, gave us nitty-gritty info on everything from sound to graphics, dev thoughts on the characters, etc, etc. And even let us know the next Station will premier in the middle of next month.

Yes, I would have loved to know every small thing said, but I appreciated the more focused, quicker-to-produce bullet point translation too. It's great to see how much an effort they've made to reach out to people beyond Asia, and I really appreciate it.

So Antonov is a lovable guy, eh? Don't think I've heard a KoF midboss described in that way in... well, since maybe kinda Chizuru? MuiMui is a master of thighs Kung-Fu, give us that Kensou connection! Her EX Dragon Breath seemed pretty strong, and goes quite far. Also love how her CD's are both Goku-like head-attacks. Oswald was gambit like, Hein's style is named Gambit... SNK is a fan of Gambit, no?

It was also great to see them mandate character variety, and shout out to E3 also. Just a classy overall act, and I'm happy to see such public relations, one of the furthest positive changes from SNKP era possible.

One of the Youtube comments sums up the video quite nicely

01:33 - New Kyo Voice Actor revealed

03:26 - The difficulties in development

05:28 - Game features

07:31 - Opening Story Mode Cinematic (short) | Full view of Antonov

08:33 - Oda-san says that Antonov is a lovable guy (???) | The reaction is priceless

10:32 - Showing the free practice mode

10:33 - Shun'Ei backstory

11:44 - Shun'Ei was created by the newer members of the team to appeal to their generation (20~25)

15:07 - Goro's new MAX hits only opponents on the ground and deals 40% damage.

15:36 - Goro's Climax is a counter and deals 50% damage.

16:07 - Hein's backstory

18:41 - Ralf doesn't have a charge anymore, his Gattling Attack is now a half circle front.

19:20 - Galactica Phantom is a MAX special and uses two bars. It's unblockable again. Hits for 50%, 75% if it's a counter hit.

20:55 - Only Yuri and King's clothes torn off. (sadface)

22:16 - Kukri's backstory... Kind of

23:10 - Official Invitation team theme is an Opera, in italian and everything.
25:01 - Joe's command normals link into each other now, like Chin, Angel and Nelson.

25:26 - The developers decided that Joe will return to his more serious Fatal Fury self. They never like the goofball KOF version.
28:15 - Mui Mui's backstory

28:50 - Mui Mui is thick because the designer likes THICK girls.

29:12 - In good SNK and Capcom fashion, Mui Mui stole some moves from Karin. Note: Both were created by the same guy.

30:33 - Maxima's more mechanical designed is because of story reasons.

30:55 - They brought back the 99 composer just for the K' team theme.

32:11 - Nakoruru's backstory. But not really

32:40 - Nakoruru has a new voice actor (thank god)

34:22 - Exhibition tournament with Ichiki, Dune, Picnic and Kyabetsu

Loona

Hien's fighting style is called Gambit? What was Oswald's style? Checkmate?

Karnoffel: http://kofaniv.snkplaymore.co.jp/english/character/index.php?num=oswald

So Antonov is a lovable guy, eh? Don't think I've heard a KoF midboss described in that way in... well, since maybe kinda Chizuru?

Well, there was also "loveable Igniz"...

I can't get over how much Antonov makes me think of Street Smart bosses: http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=flyer&db=videodb&id=1427&image=1
It's odd that in that game they were named although the player characters weren't, even if one of them ended up resembling Takuma's KoF self, and apparently a music track from that game made it to the original Fatal Fury... it'd be a neat historical SNK connection which could tie neatly into the multiversal stuff that's enabling Nakoruru and the others to join this time... alas, AFAIK none of the bosses in that game was actually called Antonov, but the style is uncannily similar...

MuiMui is a master of [strikethighs[/s] Kung-Fu, give us that Kensou connection! Her EX Dragon Breath seemed pretty strong, and goes quite far. Also love how her CD's are both Goku-like head-attacks.

Muimui's proportions were always going to end up a bit odd, like an adult cosplayer playing a chibi character... the legs would always feel a bit off anyway.

Oswald was gambit like, Hein's style is named Gambit... SNK is a fan of Gambit, no?

I do recall mentions of the author of Rurorni Kenshin being a fan both of Gambit and Samurai Shodown, with both things making their way to his comic in some manner, and that in turn inspiring Last Blade... similar tastes among the SNK staff wouldn't surprise me, especially with the drive to de-sillify Joe (maybe next game his hair will get shortened, with some luck...).

The reveal that the sleep-fu character is meant to be a friend of Shun'ei's (and perhaps otherwise unrelated to Tung...) makes me wonder if that character's actually a secret antagonist involved with Shun'ei's "cursed" abilities...

Amedo310

Brazilian Ninja has Eiji teleport and Mr. Kof is actually putting in work with him.

Mai's flame move has low invincibility now?

shaowebb

Oh my God Mui Mui plays every bit as good as I thought she would with her rekkas, AA, and supers. Builds bar and can spend bar so she'll float to any position well. Banderas definitely looks to be a Max Mod dude. Great whif punish character with his startups.

EDIT: Oh god someone please gif that Maxima finish. That pose after the chest cannon :D

qcf x2

Mr. KOF and Meta_Abe playin'
Also is it me, or the game actually looks really good now? @__@

Again, im friggin' happy to see SNK showing (and getting) so much love.

Yeah, it looks legitimately good. Mai's breasts are out of control, though. Them thangs must weigh SOMETHING.

My hype is sky high right now, the game just looks so fun. Even these beta matches are fun to watch. I can't wait to see what alts we get (if any).

BadWolf

Part 1 - https://youtu.be/BL_940MFmD0
Part 2 - https://youtu.be/q4GUWZ9zjZk

Yesterday's Atlus / E3 exhibition matches, offscreen footage.

Really awesome matches, some of the best yet.

Reynald and Mr. Kof are adjusting really well and fast to the game, them CD wall bounces into Climax DMs. Mr. Kof is also really selling me on Bandeiras.

Kane and the guy he was playing were abusing the heck out of raw Max activations lol. He was doing some really cool stuff with Chin.

And the more I see of Muimui the more I'm glad that SNK included her in the roster.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I feel like the normals game was a bit weaker than I'm used to in those videos (you could tell they were feeling them out now) compared to some of the other play, but the combos and use of the new systems (CDs into honest to goodness REAL damage!) was excellent.

Ahh Kane, continuing on with the Chin anchor stuff I remember seeing all the way back from XII. That EX counter lasted FOREVER, lol. EX Rolling punch crossing under jumpers is just DIRTY. Chin's up-kicks are totally Kyo-level at this point, moreso than they were in XIII, which is a nice change of pace.

I really expected people to flip out of Wall-splat -> MuiCannon shenanigans, but she got real, solid damage out of it. Yay, someone (Other than MAKUSHIMA) has Tung's old Kamehameha-tribute in some form!

With WNF's tonight, and more from Atlus starting at E3 (which we might see recorded again like this), today should be a very good KoF day. Almost every new player of decent skill shows us something new with the characters they gravitate towards.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The E3 KoF XIV Trailer: https://youtu.be/iXYaQDxlv_Y

Look, Meitenkun and Xanadu were picked for a team! THE MATCH WAS ABOUT TO -*cuts to a new scene*

(-____________-;)

And we get to see Angel doing a DM! And... that's... it...

This trailer is full of almost / near teasers. But mostly stuff we've seen otherwise.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Nerdjosh seems to have gotten himself a win on Atlus Stage just now, congrats to him! ;)

You can rewind the playstation live stream, to see the KoF presentation with Oda: https://live.playstation.com

You'll see the longest EX move MAX combo with Mui^2 we've seen yet, as well as an actual Kukri MAX combo. The player they had downstairs wasn't too bad.

Oda also talks a bit about the reasoning behind how Just defense ended up (just as a meter boost, and not a life-replenisher.)

Lastly, they ask about online... and get info on Party Mode, and say they listened to feedback on XIII. (A non answer on netcode, then! :( )

However, they mention that 6-player lobbies can have up to 12 people in them, and when you pick your characters, you're juggled onto random roulette teams.

Probably so it doesn't get completely stupid on counter hit.

Well, they said on the stream from the other day that EX GP does 50% damage on normal hit (probably at full charge), 75% on Counterhit.

Segata Sanshiro's single throw making one explode multiple times was awesome. If EX Galactica Phantom hits so hard it forces the opponent to explode after the blow, I'm pretty ok with that. This also should make it easier to cancel out of, in all reality.

Angelcurio

When will we be able to preorder the game on PSN? i want to take advantage of the spend $100 get $15 back, but to my surprise Kof XIV is not available yet for preorder, even though the game is supposed to come out in around two months or less.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
When will we be able to preorder the game on PSN? i want to take advantage of the spend $100 get $15 back, but to my surprise Kof XIV is not available yet for preorder, even though the game is supposed to come out in around two months or less.

They even have the "Day 1 Digital" stuff plastered on it at the Sony Booth. Hopefully, it goes up sometime within this time, as it was featured on their livecast stream...

So happy to get the Burn to Fight Edition at a great price thanks to Best Buy, I don't even think about the Digital variety, heh. But I also live having fighters digitally. So easy to swap from one to the next, with no need to swap disk. (As if XIV will leave my disk drive for MONTHS...)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The combos from the PS Segment:

Kukri: https://twitter.com/gatoray_kof/status/743227645853241344
Mui^2: https://twitter.com/gatoray_kof/status/743225317527977984

That PS segment was tough to watch.

I actually was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the combos shown, and I was happy the presenter knew SOMETHING about SNK. It was a lot better than hearing from someone that is obviously born after the time of arcades trying to pretend they played one. The unsolicited Garou name-drop when referencing Just-Defend was also nice.

I'm always happy to see KoF get a chance to show to the mainstream. Even if it just a few tens or hundred more people to buy it, that's still support for a series I love, so...

Amedo310

I'm warming up to the theme song. It sounds great. However, the latest pachinko Kof game's theme Fateful Fight is my preferred theme for KOF.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TybWLKlegmk

Oda has to be the best representive for SNK. This guy's everywhere promoting this one game. Falcoon did not do half of the amount of PR that Oda has done up to now.

11:44 - Shun'Ei was created by the newer members of the team to appeal to their generation (20~25)

Yeah that was pretty obvious. Kid looks exactly like a Yu-Gi Oh character, infact almost exactly like the current main. With the personality of every generic anime shonen character made. Thankfully the rest of the cast is ok.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Shun'Ei is to XIV as Kyo was to 94: The designers version of "What's awesome in modern Japanese youth culture?!" all rolled up into a character.

I love the fact this new KoF will allow me to play Anime-Culture-Clash with all it's varied designs. I hope the character play up some of those angles themselves in "story" modes.

BadWolf

Shun'Ei will be very popular I think.

His playstyle in particular looks really badass.

Oda has to be the best representive for SNK. This guy's everywhere promoting this one game. Falcoon did not do half of the amount of PR that Oda has done up to now.

Their promotion game in general for XIV is just on another level.

Beckx

i like Shun'Ei

if that means my tastes are generic, so be it

i mean there's no shortage of butler types who adjust their glasses but i like Hein too. reminds me of Gotoh from HxH.

Amedo310

Who was Kyo inspired from anyway? Kaneda from Akira?

Wow. Ramon's in-game match portrait was in the E3 trailer when Athena was doing the start of her climax. SNK is trolling hard.

Loona

Yeah that was pretty obvious. Kid looks exactly like a Yu-Gi Oh character, infact almost exactly like the current main. With the personality of every generic anime shonen character made. Thankfully the rest of the cast is ok.

And after Ash, for all we know he might not be as straightforward as he seems, especially under the tutelage of someone as old school as Tung.

And with 50 characters, there's no shortage of designs that younger folks might unexpectedly connect with... the reactions to Hein and Luong alone have been interesting to see on Twitter, to say the least, and some French folks seem to be raising Xanadu to memetic status already despite no actual gameplay footage of the guy, just from that creepy gaze.

Heck, maybe Shun'ei will be eclipse enough by other characters that his design and moves might change between games, who knows - and before that, if everyone get an alt skin like Kyo has, i wonder what his might look like... maybe some more focused use of color?

Thankfully, most of the game is being made by the original staff of the Fatal Fury/Garou Densetsu series, which is why the gameplay is turning out to be spectacular & is acting more like original KOF 98 & 2002: UM instead of marvel (?) like with KOF XIII.

Also, they seem to have given special treatment to the Fatal Fury/Garou Densetsu characters (being Terry, Andy, Joe, Geese, Billy, Kim, Tung & Mai), such as

-Terry returning to his old FF1/GD1 design,
-Returning Joe to a serious character (as the developers never intended to have him as a comedic character),
-Giving Kim two new teammates as well as giving Chang & Choi a 3rd prisoner from which SNK had planned before KOF was even made (see developer interview for KOF '94 here under "Kim Kaphwan"),
-Giving Mai back some of her special moves as well as giving her original personality back instead of having her being obsessed with Andy from KOF '94 to KOF XIII for some reason,

etc.

It's going to be great in the end.

shaowebb

God damn this week is great for me. KOF 14 is exceeding my hopes so far and for my string based fighting needs Injustice 2 is fixing most all the issues I had with it in neutral and movement.

Great week.

I cannot begin to tell you how eager I am to play Mui Mui after seeing those sets played the other day with her. She can rock it on point or at anchor which means she's a self sufficient meter building gal with good enough Max Mode and meter tools to be a threat in the back. Great to know I can be flexible with her on teams to try and use team order to counterpick some folks if need be. I really like her hitboxes so far on those headbutts and diving head dives. Looks pretty safe.

I wish I'd see more Kukri out there. I'm wanting to know just how good he is in Max Mode.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
ClCkHjXXIAALpSb.jpg

WNF about to start officially in a moment. http://witch.tv/leveluplive

Shaowebb, did you see the Kukri MAX combo from the playstation stream? It's isolated in a tweet message up there. Maybe not his ideal damage, but it's good to see some people at least starting to get used to him.

shaowebb

Shaowebb, did you see the Kukri MAX combo from the playstation stream? It's isolated in a tweet message up there. Maybe not his ideal damage, but it's good to see some people at least starting to get used to him.

*Checks*

Ooooooh yeah...thats what I'm talking about! I kept seeing really hesitant special abusive play only out of him. Folks dont have his spacing and footsies down nor do they know his moves well enough to control the flow of matches. I at least wanted to know whether or not the guy on meter with his big specials could get some solid damage on day -100. If so it'd be a good sign. He can and it is.

He'll be a guy to learn, but he's a guy I know I will still be looking forward to now at least. It'll be up to how I feel about his footsies later to see if I stick with him. I get the feeling he'd be a good anchor if I can get a few juggle tools figured out for extensions. Otherwise...I'm thinking of putting him second so he has a bit of meter but doesn't have to try and become a battery for my next guy if he has a chance.

Finaika

God damn this week is great for me. KOF 14 is exceeding my hopes so far and for my string based fighting needs Injustice 2 is fixing most all the issues I had with it in neutral and movement.

Great week.

I cannot begin to tell you how eager I am to play Mui Mui after seeing those sets played the other day with her. She can rock it on point or at anchor which means she's a self sufficient meter building gal with good enough Max Mode and meter tools to be a threat in the back. Great to know I can be flexible with her on teams to try and use team order to counterpick some folks if need be. I really like her hitboxes so far on those headbutts and diving head dives. Looks pretty safe.

I wish I'd see more Kukri out there. I'm wanting to know just how good he is in Max Mode.

KOFXIV + Injustice 2 = Fighting game heaven

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
*Checks*

Ooooooh yeah...thats what I'm talking about! I kept seeing really hesitant special abusive play only out of him. Folks dont have his spacing and footsies down nor do they know his moves well enough to control the flow of matches. I at least wanted to know whether or not the guy on meter with his big specials could get some solid damage on day -100. If so it'd be a good sign. He can and it is.

He'll be a guy to learn, but he's a guy I know I will still be looking forward to now at least. It'll be up to how I feel about his footsies later to see if I stick with him. I get the feeling he'd be a good anchor if I can get a few juggle tools figured out for extensions. Otherwise...I'm thinking of putting him second so he has a bit of meter but doesn't have to try and become a battery for my next guy if he has a chance.

Once again in case you missed it, Eternal_Blaze's breakdown for the new characters on SRK is solid! They go through taking pictures of each of the normals and specials, and breaking down observations of the moves from past vids.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/10835440/#Comment_10835440

Kukri has ODD normals, lol. And isn't as hot as Luong, so people just haven't put in that time... He's definitely going to be tricky though, for the enemy and player. It still throws me off at times, when a normal is the entire opposite of what you expect, and he seems to have some of that in spades.

He SLIGHTLY reminds me of Lin in 2k2UM, and that draws me to him just a bit. But otherwise, old men and kung-fu girls will join MechaMANLY MEN, BAEona, and a few key others in the rotation. He seems very... Mid-ranged? Even his projectile looks like it'll be more of a super-footsie than a full screen pressure tool.

Amedo310

Lol. Not much on the netcode, but Oda-san seems eager to balance the game if some broken stuff is found and there is enough outcry for the issues to be fixed.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
l like his answer about wanting to make a wealth of rich content up front, since people who play fighters spend a lot of money on things like arcade sticks. They want that value to be returned in these products! Just a nice way to hear a producer understand the outcry for "value".

Oda was putting in work today, being at the PSX preview earlier. And it also sounds like we'll see more character in a build for next month? That's quite good to hear. 36 out of 50 is honestly a lot to see pre-release, at open events like this.

Also, you can tell the PSX version is further along than even the one they played tonight, since it had colors appearing behind characters on the "Order Select" screen. It's been mentioned that the weekend JP builds seem to be improving a bit week after week. They're really working hard on this thing.

Mista Koo

Nah, he's Ell Blue from Xuan Dou Zhi Wang:

b8783Tg.jpg

And I think he's kinda cool and fits KOF pretty well.

I echo the sentiments of those that are liking Muimui. She looks pretty damn good. That max mode command throw combo is so, so sweet. She'll be somebody I play.

Now somebody needs to beast with the King of the Dinosaurs and Chang, and I mean beasting on good players.

Top Bottom