• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I think most of Yuri's "Nerfs" are just a cause of how the game is shaping up. With the return of proximity normals, many characters have 2X more button press variety to hit with, if now more.

What was a "catch all" in XIII, now is a "1 of 2" in XIII. And the return of far normals seems to have seriously buffed the Footsie game to 98-ish standards, where some normals are AMAZINGLY good range and priority for a single button press. Not to mention we also have some easy, lazy confirms with RUSH now, too. "I can land supers off weak attacks!" just became much more universal!

A worse crossup follows the same mentality or stronger normals (Anti-airs can't be strong if "Airs" themselves are too strong), and the hitboxes seem to have gotten another shift towards being easier to understand, as most know XIII had quite a few dubious crossup situations.

Also, Yuri is the first character we've seen able to get an additional Air normal off a cornered opponent (thanks to her flip->divekick) before going into normals for corner combos. She also can still combo into her air throw, can juggle with multiple Sai-Ha's in the corner, can juggle people on top of instant jump air Raioh-Ken's... Oh, and she has a much better, long ranged jump CD again, too. She's adapting wonderfully well to the system changes, it seems.

And IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII will always love youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu *breaks Choi's back*

Instead of seeing the "broken back" as pure violence, Choi was actually happy to no longer hear the singing of his deranged new boss... he passed out with a smile...

BadWolf

From the FG thread:

couple kof tidbits that might be old news:

when a char is on wakeup there's a 9f throw invul period, this is to focus more on neutral game as the driving factor. This is also the reason that the game is less aerial based and characters like King don't have their same air specials to the extent of other games.

links still use the hold system from previous kofs and anime like blazblue.

Game is trying to be more accessible on a gameplay level, IE not as long of combos, removal of loops etc.

Supposedly (again, not 100% sure) if there are future dlc characters, they'll be free. Cosmetic DLC will still cost money but characters won't (if there even are any that are coming).

That's about it from what I've picked up here and there from talking with people at the show.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The Nico Stream from... Just now...

Gato Ray said:
KOF XIV Famitsu Niconico Live Footage (June 17, 2016)
* note : This footage is just footage, not included match. If you want to see character's move, you can check this time below.

Shun'ei - 00:50,
Muimui - 08:40,
Hein - 14:40,
Kukri - 20:35,
Nakoruru - 26:00,
Choi - 32:30,
Yuri - 38:30,
Maxima - 44:25,
Joe - 49:55,
Sylvie - 55:10,
Ralf - 1:00:40,
Daimon - 1:07:30
Tung - 1:12:20,
Clark - 1:18:00,
Dinosaur - 1:23:40,
Chin - 1:29:50

He got that up quick, lol. No one watched it live here?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Wait, Kukri's teleport has a hitbox? That seems pretty good.

Not only that, but it also seems to "instantly" absorb a blow, projectile or physical, too. Mixed with the EX spawning 2 clones around the opponent, in addition to a 3rd at where Kukri is, and the move has a lot more utility than I thought at first.

We also get to see his EX Tatsu wall bounces, and his EX air rolling kick ground bounces. Kukri is weird, but there's some nice method to his madness.

BadWolf

You know it has been a good week when you start forgetting about previously much anticipated streams lol, thanks for the link SAB CA.

This channel has uploaded a bunch of vids SoCal players took, lots of character variety. Includes Ricky Diaz playing Maxima.

You can also see Sylvie's CDM in action, it now releases a really slow moving big electricball in a zigzag pattern (reminiscent of Kain from Garou MOTW). Does big damage if it hits and leaves them in a juggle state.

Wait, Kukri's teleport has a hitbox? That seems pretty good.

Yeah, someone at WNF did a combo with the EX version of the teleport (in which Kukri leaves behind like 3 or 4 sand images).

It also seems to have a hurtbox though.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
ClKzYPNUoAEo386.jpg:orig

I actually slept through the NICO stream for once, it HAS been a satisfying KoF week. Still looking through it now, but even with the lack of matches, the times of Seeing improved moves, or EX's we haven't seen (Yay for Ralf's Gatling attack EX being like it's XIII self!) is great unto itself.

Thanks for the SoCal players link too, much much to look through, I'm ALWAYS up for Moar Makushima.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Gonna be honest here. I'm not fond of Villains team at all, except for maybe Chang.

I mean, you're not SUPPOSE to be fond of Villains, so that's ok! ;-) Good thing we've got 15 other teams to find favorite from, right?

I've never been a Choi player, but I... am actually fond of his mannerisms. He just feels like the perfect product of 90's arcade BEU's or something; highly derivative, sure, but also with enough of his own charm to become separate and memorable.

Black Desert - Mai Shiranui

Never even considered a Mai character action game but gotdayum, it should be Neo_G's next project.

Shiranui School Legacy: Flames of Vengeance! Staring Andy, Mai, Jubei, and a few new original characters! The Onimusha-like spiritual successor you've been waiting for!

I'm always glad to see SNK branching out their IPs. One step closet to getting an Athena Asamiya skin for Athena in SMITE... And Goddess Athena for Bellona...

Menitta

I mean, you're not SUPPOSE to be fond of Villains, so that's ok! ;-) Good thing we've got 15 other teams to find favorite from, right?

I've never been a Choi player, but I... am actually fond of his mannerisms. He just feels like the perfect product of 90's arcade BEU's or something; highly derivative, sure, but also with enough of his own charm to become separate and memorable.

True enough. I guess it's different from characters like Geese. I love Geese.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Geese is great! I love the fact that he actually is covered with scars once he removes his Hakama. No matter how evil be may be, he's Charismatic and actually has worked for his power. You have to respect him, and that just makes a great villain design.

Hein might be pretty near to that too. People seem to be falling for him, even though he shows a calculated, cruel side with his CDM.

Zerojul

I think Xanadu's team is more of a "freaks villains" team, which will of course be more divisive than good-looking charismatic bad dudes like Geese and Hien. Personally ? I love both :)

Loona

Never even considered a Mai character action game but gotdayum, it should be Neo_G's next project.

I'd give priority to classic Athena starring in such a game, especially considering th weapon variety, but I could imagine Mai as an extra/DLC character -and they could toss in a nod to the Samurai Shodown endings she's in while at it.

Looking at that bump at the top of Xanadu's head, I can't help but wonder if that's the result of self-trepanation or something...

BadWolf

True enough. I guess it's different from characters like Geese. I love Geese.

May want to keep your eye on Antonov, they have apparently designed him to be very likable.

Shiranui School Legacy: Flames of Vengeance! Staring Andy, Mai, Jubei, and a few new original characters! The Onimusha-like spiritual successor you've been waiting for!

I'm always glad to see SNK branching out their IPs. One step closet to getting an Athena Asamiya skin for Athena in SMITE... And Goddess Athena for Bellona...

I'd give priority to classic Athena starring in such a game, especially considering th weapon variety, but I could imagine Mai as an extra/DLC character -and they could toss in a nod to the Samurai Shodown endings she's in while at it.

Looking at that bump at the top of Xanadu's head, I can't help but wonder if that's the result of self-trepanation or something...

For Japan maybe but when taking the rest of the world into account as well then Mai would be a better choice than a teen idol magical girl.

Mai also hangs out with a more popular crowd and being a speedy ninja with fire powers etc. would make for a more interesting character action arsenal.

poor Kim, he just wanted to help them build a new life

I can see winning quotes something like this:

From Kim to Chang: "Why, Chang? After everything that I've done for you & Choi, WHY?"

From Chang to Kim: "We never liked you in the first place & have always been annoyed at you bossing us around! Get lost!"

Now that KOF is developed by the fatal fury team, I could see rock returning.

He will never appear in a canonical KOF game, ever. Deal with it.

ZenTzen

He will never appear in a canonical KOF game, ever. Deal with it.

not really true, the gist of it is that, going by previews interviews to snk people, is that rock wont appear in a kof until theres a Garou sequel, now couple that with XIVs director expressing is desire to make a Garou 2, then maybe theres a chance of him appearing in a later KOF

of course this all depends on how successfull SNK will be going forward

BadWolf

not really true, the gist of it is that, going by previews interviews to snk people, is that rock wont appear in a kof until theres a Garou sequel, now couple that with XIVs director expressing is desire to make a Garou 2, then maybe theres a chance of him appearing in a later KOF

of course this all depends on how successfull SNK will be going forward

If Rock and the rest of the characters appear in KOF then what is the point of a new Fatal Fury/MOTW?

For the most part a lot of the Fatal Fury cast is still exclusive to that series. This is a good thing. It makes the IP relevant.

Rock for Fatal Fury while Geese is in KOF, it works out perfectly.

drol

Neo Member
For those who didn't catch the interview with KOFXIV's producer at WNF:

On the netcode:
- He has been looking at the complaints against XIII's console netcode from day one and keeping all of them in mind
- The reception for XIII's Steam version netcode has been positive in general so they are building on top of what they learned there
- They are putting a lot of effort into making the netcode solid day 1 and are prepared to act quickly to fix any issues post launch.
- The 3v3 online party battle mode will have 12 player lobbies.

On DLC (characters, stages, music, costumes etc.):
- They aren't holding anything back for the initial release, we are getting the full game day 1.
- They haven't even started thinking about DLC yet. If they do decide to do some then we will have to wait a while since they will be creating it from scratch.

On Just Defending:
- They spent a lot of time balancing it in such a way that it doesn't disrupt the normal flow of gameplay
- In its initial implementation it had too much impact so they toned it down
- They took both offline competitive play and online play into consideration when balancing it

ZenTzen

If Rock and the rest of the characters appear in KOF then what is the point of a new Fatal Fury/MOTW?

For the most part a lot of the Fatal Fury cast is still exclusive to that series. This is a good thing. It makes the IP relevant.

Rock for Fatal Fury while Geese is in KOF, it works out perfectly.

the point of a new Fatal Fury/MOTW is to progress the story of the characters(this is something that i think SNK fighters do really well) and introducing new characters for the franchise, putting some of those in KOF does not make the IP irrelevant either, since MOTW and KOF, while both being FGs, they do things differently from each other, one of the biggest reasons that KOF is a team based FG, while MOTW is more traditional, and both franchises also have different systems to its gameplay, also, going by your train of thought, nakoruru being in XIV makes samurai shodown irrelevant as well, which is something thats so much further from the truth

BadWolf

For those who didn't catch the interview with KOFXIV's producer at WNF:

On the netcode:
- He has been looking at the complaints against XIII's console netcode from day one and keeping all of them in mind
- The reception for XIII's Steam version netcode has been positive in general so they are building on top of what they learned there
- They are putting a lot of effort into making the netcode solid day 1 and are prepared to act quickly to fix any issues post launch.
- The 3v3 online party battle mode will have 12 player lobbies.

On DLC (characters, stages, music, costumes etc.):
- They aren't holding anything back for the initial release, we are getting the full game day 1.
- They haven't even started thinking about DLC yet. If they do decide to do some then we will have to wait a while since they will be creating it from scratch.

On Just Defending:
- They spent a lot of time balancing it in such a way that it doesn't disrupt the normal flow of gameplay
- In its initial implementation it had too much impact so they toned it down
- They took both offline competitive play and online play into consideration when balancing it

Err... thanks for copying/pasting my post from the FG thread?

the point of a new Fatal Fury/MOTW is to progress the story of the characters(this is something that i think SNK fighters do really well) and introducing new characters for the franchise, putting some of those in KOF does not make the IP irrelevant either, since MOTW and KOF, while both being FGs, they do things differently from each other, one of the biggest reasons that KOF is a team based FG, while MOTW is more traditional, and both franchises also have different systems to its gameplay, also, going by your train of thought, nakoruru being in XIV makes samurai shodown irrelevant as well, which is something thats so much further from the truth

She is the first SamSho character to show up in the series in over 20 years of its history. Hardly comparable, no?

Keeping Rock and other characters out of KOF is definitely the right decision if they are planning on making a Garou 2. KOF already has plenty of reps from that series.

ZenTzen

Err... thanks for copying/pasting my post from the FG thread?

She is the first SamSho character to show up in the series in over 20 years of its history. Hardly comparable, no?

Keeping Rock and other characters out of KOF is definitely the right decision if they are planning on making a Garou 2. KOF already has plenty of reps from that series.

and thats what i was saying in my original post, Rock will only have a chance to appear in a KOF game, after theres a Garou 2

ZenTzen

Because KOF doesn't need him to do well.

KOF also doesnt need a bunch of other characters to do well either, and they still appear in it, thats not really a valid reason

Fatal Fury needs all the help it can get. The series has been dead for over 15 years.

thats mainly because of SNK issues from over the years though, and depending on how SNK is successful going forward a new Garou is an inevitability

Also, i think you're confusing something here, i'd rather have a Garou MOTW 2 first, than seeing Rock in a KOF game before a Garou MOTW 2 comes out

BadWolf

KOF also doesnt need a bunch of other characters to do well either, and they still appear in it, thats not really a valid reason

thats mainly because of SNK issues from over the years though, and depending on how SNK is successful going forward a new Garou is an inevitability

Also, i think you're confusing something here, i'd rather have a Garou MOTW 2 first, than seeing Rock in a KOF game before a Garou MOTW 2 comes out

Not confusing anything here, just talking from the perspective of wanting the FF IP to be relevant. If you can't see the importance of having characters that can't be played anywhere else then there isn't much else I can say, we are going in circles here.

Like mentioned previously, having Rock in FF and Geese (who is dead in FF) in KOF makes sense. They can't stick Rock into KOF without changing his origin story anyway.

ZenTzen

Not confusing anything here, just talking from the perspective of wanting the FF IP to be relevant. If you can't see the importance of having characters that can't be played anywhere else then there isn't much else I can say, we are going in circles here.

Like mentioned previously, having Rock in FF and Geese (who is dead in FF) in KOF makes sense. They can't stick Rock into KOF without changing his origin story anyway.

and again it can still be relevant even if they put these characters in KOF, and i can see the importance, its not like they have put every character from FF or other SNK ips in KOF

also, besides rock and geese sharing a few moves, they dont play the same, and his origin story doesnt really change all that much, only thing that changes is the his father is alive, while still being raised by terry in KOF, this only makes it possible for them to have more interactions in the kof timeline

sibarraz

Banned
The thing with Rock is that I don't see any real motivation to make him appear on the game, his addition will not add new fans to the game and I really don't miss himm specially since I feel that if he ever appear on KOF he will be relegated to second status like most of the not OC from the series.

We still need to see him had any sort of conclusion for his story, and I really feel that we are more close than ever for it too happen

BadWolf

Meitenkun:
d01L229.jpg

also, besides rock and geese sharing a few moves, they dont play the same, and his origin story doesnt really change all that much, only thing that changes is the his father is alive, while still being raised by terry in KOF, this only makes it possible for them to have more interactions in the kof timeline

Rock's movelist is an amalgamation of Geese and Terry. Terry adopted/raised Rock after Geese died.

BadWolf

Via SRK user MMaker:

Famitsu article information:

-Shun'ei uses the power of shadows, he's learning Hakkyokuseiken under Tung Fu Rue as his latest disciple;

-Meitenkun carries a pillow with him at all times, he looks like he's always half asleep, his style is Hakkyokumenmenken (Hakkyoku sleepy sleepy fist, as opposed to Hakkyokuseiken being Hakkyoku sacred fist), he seems to be hiding a huge energy that is considered to be Tung's secret weapon;

-Antonov is the self proclaimed original (very first) champion of KoF, his fighting style is unknown;

-Sylvie is a remnant of the secret organization NESTS, she uses electromagnetic powers, couldn't prove herself in NESTS time and is now running around in the fighting underworld;

-Kukri hides his face under a hood and uses sand.

he really is pillow boy

makes you wonder how the leak was taken then

Iirc it was mentioned that the leaker was employed at SNK at one point during production but then left the company.

Vyse24

-Meitenkun carries a pillow with him at all times, he looks like he's always half asleep, his style is Hakkyokumenmenken (Hakkyoku sleepy sleepy fist, as opposed to Hakkyokuseiken being Hakkyoku sacred fist), he seems to be hiding a huge energy that is considered to be Tung's secret weapon;
Calling it: This will be his most powerful SDM, and we're only gonna see part of it when the trailer drops.

-Antonov is the self proclaimed original (very first) champion of KoF, his fighting style is unknown;
Part of me is starting to think Antonov is a returning character under a new identity.

-Sylvie is a remnant of the secret organization NESTS, she uses electromagnetic powers, couldn't prove herself in NESTS time and is now running around in the fighting underworld;
That's just random. Hopefully it'll play a part in story mode. Like, have something between her and Angel or Kula.

Any word on who/what the final boss is like?

Loona

Part of me is starting to think Antonov is a returning character under a new identity.

Watch him being the blend player character from Street Smart - that game is older than Fatal Fury, apparently also shares a music track with FF, Antonov's build matches that of that game's bosses, and the player characters there are never named, although one gets compared to the KoF version of Takuma on occasion...

If an "SNK Hospital" ambulance shows up we'll be sure.

The thing with Rock is that I don't see any real motivation to make him appear on the game, his addition will not add new fans to the game and I really don't miss himm specially since I feel that if he ever appear on KOF he will be relegated to second status like most of the not OC from the series.

We still need to see him had any sort of conclusion for his story, and I really feel that we are more close than ever for it too happen

I agree. If people miss Rock so much, why not go play as Shun'ei? He has some of Rock's specials.

Just like if people miss Heavy D so much, play as Nelson. Miss Heidern/Oswald? Play as Hein.

Warxard

Banned
yes i know that, doesnt change the fact that hes raising rock in the kof timeline even with geese being alive

this is true I think. Rock has a presence in some endings in the storyline-games.

There's a 'KOF-verse' Rock but he's still a kid, basically.

So would the Antonov info imply he kicked Geese's or Rugal's ass I wonder

I really want to see Silvie's interaction with Team K and Angel

TreIII

So would the Antonov info imply he kicked Geese's or Rugal's ass I wonder

I really want to see Silvie's interaction with Team K and Angel

If he really is a champ, then that would likely mean he was holding it down in an era before Ryo and Terry held their respective titles. Maybe he fought with the likes of Jubei, Saisyu, Tung and Jeff Bogard in their prime. Of course, with the way KOF's timeline works, it'd be interesting to see how such a thing would work, considering how Terry and Ryo's ages are so close together on this side.

Does anyone know if max-mode activation mid combo has a similar timing setup as in 13? ie activate during activate frames and you'll just dash forward - or during recovery frames and you'll dash forward with a heavy punch. Or have they simplified it to always just dash forward?

Big0Bear

Does anyone know if max-mode activation mid combo has a similar timing setup as in 13? ie activate during activate frames and you'll just dash forward - or during recovery frames and you'll dash forward with a heavy punch. Or have they simplified it to always just dash forward?

I just got through playing it at the final play test this month in Japan I only got 3 chances to play in 4 hours but from what I noticed the timing was the same as KOF13 maybe more forgiving. I was able to activate and continue combos very easily with characters Ive never used. I think they got rid of the activate into fierce (which happens if your timing is off)

I just got through playing it at the final play test this month in Japan I only got 3 chances to play in 4 hours but from what I noticed the timing was the same as KOF13 maybe more forgiving. I was able to activate and continue combos very easily with characters Ive never used. I think they got rid of the activate into fierce (which happens if your timing is off)

Wow must have been pretty popular - thanks for the response!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Iirc it was mentioned that the leaker was employed at SNK at one point during production but then left the company.

Ah, I guess NDA doesn't hold anymore when you leave the company?

If he really is a champ, then that would likely mean he was holding it down in an era before Ryo and Terry held their respective titles. Maybe he fought with the likes of Jubei, Saisyu, Tung and Jeff Bogard in their prime. Of course, with the way KOF's timeline works, it'd be interesting to see how such a thing would work, considering how Terry and Ryo's ages are so close together on this side.
Watch him being the blend player character from Street Smart - that game is older than Fatal Fury, apparently also shares a music track with FF, Antonov's build matches that of that game's bosses, and the player characters there are never named, although one gets compared to the KoF version of Takuma on occasion...

If an "SNK Hospital" ambulance shows up we'll be sure.

Yeah, would be cool if he's a ref to an old SNK character too

was Haidern a participant during Geese/Tung/Takuma/Saisyu's times or did he only join when Leona came around?

BadWolf

yes i know that, doesnt change the fact that hes raising rock in the kof timeline even with geese being alive

This is what he looks like in the KOF timeline:

terry-with-rock.gif

Geese, King of Dinosaurs, classic Terry etc. are all good indications that they want to keep Garou separate.

Ah, I guess NDA doesn't hold anymore when you leave the company?

I'm sure what he or she did wasn't exactly legal. Would be pretty hard to find though in the way it was leaked.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Say, in KoFXI the Duck King sprite was new right? I don't remember him having that sprite in his debut. Then again I skipped a few FF games prior to Garou.

Anyway yeah - Gato, Tizoc and Jenet could still be doing their jobs even if you remove the Garou equation, so they're fine to be in KoF timeline (granted the reasoning was reusing assets, but still), unlike say, the Kim brothers or Rock. Even in XIII I think Dong and Jae were still kids.

Top Bottom