• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

Thankfully, most of the game is being made by the original staff of the Fatal Fury/Garou Densetsu series, which is why the gameplay is turning out to be spectacular...

Oda has to be the best representive for SNK. This guy's everywhere promoting this one game. Falcoon did not do half of the amount of PR that Oda has done up to now.

SNK in general is in absolute beast mode at the moment. They know they've got to bring their A-game for this one since it's basically the relaunch of their entire gaming arm, so a lot is hanging in the balance. It's really obvious that the "old guard" are relishing this opportunity to rebirth the company and return them to glory. It couldn't really come at a better time either, this is going to be the first major fighting game since SFV and so it's bound to get compared in the mainstream reviews, and i can't see how it could compare unfavourably at this point. All they have to do is nail the online and there'll be nothing to complain about by release i think.

It's as if they listened to everyone's feedback to Capcom, and decided to do the exact opposite - everything everyone wants. But reality is, they probably had this plan of attack well before Capcom's fumbles became obvious - i just really think you've got a bunch of the most passionate fighting game devs working there right now, looking to make the best game they can!

I don't know what % of them were from the golden era, and don't want to discount what anyone new is doing there either - cause apart from what we know as fact, it's not immediately obvious where that line is drawn. But isn't it incredible that SNK can one day just say "we're back" and build an awesome team, what looks like their own engine, deliver an outstanding level of promotion etc... as if they were never even gone. Then you've got Capcom who outsource their 3d models god knows where, seemingly giving SFV a paltry budget.

I mean, does anyone really think KOF had less budget than SFV at this point? I'm thinking SNK's Chinese overlords have spared no expense to make this a hit. I know the story with Dimps having it's fair share of yester-years fighting game devs too... but man, what SNK has done here feels like what i imagine it'd be like if Nishitani, Okamoto and Funamizu came back to make a new SF.

Plus, SNK's successes on mobile seem to have played a huge role in understanding how to manage community / social networks too. Screenshots every day, trailers on a damn regime. Arcades are long dead but they're freaking doing location tests like it's 1996 as well! What a thing of beauty. That damn netcode better be good and this game a success, cause i want the SNK rebirth to hit full stride with proper FF and SS sequels and whatever Neo_G's cooking too!

Is there a reason why this game isn't available for pre-order on US PSN? Would love to pre-order this and 1 other game and take advantage of that 15$ return.

orioto

Good Art™
SNK in general is in absolute beast mode at the moment. They know they've got to bring their A-game for this one since it's basically the relaunch of their entire gaming arm, so a lot is hanging in the balance. It's really obvious that the "old guard" are relishing this opportunity to rebirth the company and return them to glory. It couldn't really come at a better time either, this is going to be the first major fighting game since SFV and so it's bound to get compared in the mainstream reviews, and i can't see how it could compare unfavourably at this point. All they have to do is nail the online and there'll be nothing to complain about by release i think.

It's as if they listened to everyone's feedback to Capcom, and decided to do the exact opposite - everything everyone wants. But reality is, they probably had this plan of attack well before Capcom's fumbles became obvious - i just really think you've got a bunch of the most passionate fighting game devs working there right now, looking to make the best game they can!

I don't know what % of them were from the golden era, and don't want to discount what anyone new is doing there either - cause apart from what we know as fact, it's not immediately obvious where that line is drawn. But isn't it incredible that SNK can one day just say "we're back" and build an awesome team, what looks like their own engine, deliver an outstanding level of promotion etc... as if they were never even gone. Then you've got Capcom who outsource their 3d models god knows where, seemingly giving SFV a paltry budget.

I mean, does anyone really think KOF had less budget than SFV at this point? I'm thinking SNK's Chinese overlords have spared no expense to make this a hit. I know the story with Dimps having it's fair share of yester-years fighting game devs too... but man, what SNK has done here feels like what i imagine it'd be like if Nishitani, Okamoto and Funamizu came back to make a new SF.

Plus, SNK's successes on mobile seem to have played a huge role in understanding how to manage community / social networks too. Screenshots every day, trailers on a damn regime. Arcades are long dead but they're freaking doing location tests like it's 1996 as well! What a thing of beauty. That damn netcode better be good and this game a success, cause i want the SNK rebirth to hit full stride with proper FF and SS sequels and whatever Neo_G's cooking too!

Amen to that!
And i just want them to build on what they did here, that is a huge work, and take the next step after that (taking their graphic king crown back)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Yesterday's Screeny:

Ck_deR4UgAAC3qf.jpg:orig

Today!:

ClEyzUmUoAAayL_.jpg:orig

STEY TUNED! 'S Creepiness:

ClEzfnFUgAAxczh.jpg:orig

Latest Combo Compilation via Gato Ray: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIQO8d83RN8

BadWolf

Really looking forward to seeing Xanadu's full design, play style and personality.

Lol. Not much on the netcode, but Oda-san seems eager to balance the game if some broken stuff is found and there is enough outcry for the issues to be fixed.

I think he said pretty much all he could have said about the netcode without getting too technical.

- They are fully aware of the complaints against console XIII
- XIII's Steam netcode had a positive reception so they are building on top of that
- Prepared to quickly fix issues post launch

Oda was putting in work today, being at the PSX preview earlier. And it also sounds like we'll see more character in a build for next month? That's quite good to hear. 36 out of 50 is honestly a lot to see pre-release, at open events like this.

I'm guessing it should be a 48 character build since it's just a month away from release? They will probably save the bosses for release.

They should definitely take the opportunity to have the new build's first showing be at Evo.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
ClFA0UmXIAEzShW.jpg:large

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY-9pp9XM_I

LoL, My "He could be a mentally cracked true psycho like Cowboy Bebop's Pierrot Le Fou" prediction seemed spot on, lol. That's truly something special. He's a maniacal manchild that rocks his enemies to sleep before mounting on them and beating the piss out of them... all while acting somewhat innocent at the same time.

Oh, and their stage is totally awesome. Did not expect that location at ALL.

BadWolf

That combo video really shows how the combos are short, flashy and much easier in XIV. The way you string EX moves together in max mode combos gives a lot more time to breathe to the player than the rapid-fire cancels in XIII.

Also, the more I see of the max mode combos the more it feels like they are more efficient when done using just one power bar. The supers seem to scale way too much when tacked to the end of a long combo in XIV.

EDIT:

That stage.

That Chang damage.

WTF at Xanadu lol.

TreIII

LoL, My "He could be a mentally cracked true psycho like Cowboy Bebop's Pierrot Le Fou" prediction seemed spot on, lol. That's truly something special. He's a maniacal manchild that rocks his enemies to sleep before mounting on them and beating the piss out of them... all while acting somewhat innocent at the same time.

Oh, hell yeah.

Xanadu definitely looks...interesting. Hahahaha. I definitely want to give him a try.

The stage looks kinda good.

And WTF was that Xanadu shit?

Loved that Chang Climax cancel btw, it was hilarious when he dropped his wrecking ball.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I don't understand Xanadu.
lol
SNK did well then.

Man, mad props to SNK for having a stage per team and for bringing back the original KOF composers, the music is top notch.

CANT FRIGGIN' WAIT!!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
ClFA0UmXIAEzShW.jpg:large

I have been hyped for team villain's newcomer and I'm quite satisfying with what I see in the trailer. I'm eager to pick it up on day one! The stage is top notch for me as well.

Now I'm waiting for South American Woman with Touncan reveal since she look cool and I'm sure her movesets should be interesting as well.

BadWolf

Now I really can't wait to see what Zarina, Mian and the sleepy dude play like.

EDIT: Has a thread been created for the new team trailer?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Do it pls, you posted the trailer so you should have the honors.

*bow* Lets enjoy it while it last!

Oh, hell yeah.

Xanadu definitely looks...interesting. Hahahaha. I definitely want to give him a try.

He should totally be the new Newb killer. If you can survive the salt someone like him brings, you're now welcomed into the KoF Family!

What a true psychopath.

Edit: That's the best stage IMO, because it actually looks right with the character models.

It does perfectly look like it meshes with everything. It was worth the wait, and probably the location Xanadu awoke from (it was mentioned he's been imprisoned deep underground for a long while in the Orochinagi interview)

Xanadu is the best new character of 2017.

Hopefully... until Zarina shows up ;-) I love how much unexpected fun comes with these reveals.

I don't understand Xanadu.

A million light are dancing and you are, a shooting star
An everlasting world and you're here with me, eternally
Xanadu, Xanadu
(Now we are here) in Xanadu
Xanadu, Xanadu
(Now we are here) in Xanadu
Xanadu, your neon lights will shine for you, Xanadu

Now that I'm here, now that you're near, in Xanadu

poor Kim, he just wanted to help them build a new life

I think after this, they'll go crawling back to Kim, begging for him to accept them. Smart Choi and Chang will then be revealed for KoF XV! FINALLY reformed!

I have been hyped for team villain's newcomer and I'm quite satisfying with what I see in the trailer. I'm eager to pick it up on day one! The stage is top notch for me as well.

Now I'm waiting for South American Woman with Touncan reveal since she look cool and I'm sure her movesets should be interesting as well.

Really can't wait to see her. I hope she has a great voice, and a likable personality.

Oh my god, what the hell is Xanadu? I ask this question in a tone of absolute joy. I love Xanadu, add him to the list of characters I want to play. The Villains Team stage is very, very nice. I was hoping to get some sort of prison themed stage, and very nice music as well! Damn, this team is great!

Also, yowza at that Chang damage. Nice and BEEFY, mmm, MMMM!

Amedo310

is it fair to say that we will never see Rock in a KoF game until Garou 2 if that ever happens?

We'll never see him playable in KOF at all. Shunei plays bit like him and even has some of his moves. You ever wonder why he's always fighting Terry in the trailers? Also, Oda or someone on staff said that they will keep Rock out of in-game KOF to respect the Fatal Fury franchise.

Hyun Sai

Well, a bit disappointed by hearing them talking about how steam netcode of KoFXIII was well received.

It means the netcode for this game will be mediocre / subpar at best.

Bummer, let's hope the offline content will compensate.

BadWolf

Nerfs Yuri has received from XIII:

- The dive kick doesn't cross up as easily anymore
- Standing LK is no longer special cancellable

Both changes make sense.

sibarraz

Banned
Now that KOF is developed by the fatal fury team, I could see rock returning.

It took my attention that they made Joe more serious in this game.

BadWolf

Villian Team's profiles have been added.

XANADU
This legendary criminal is currently imprisoned in an underground jail. He has ideas and concepts hard to understand for the average person. Xanadu is considered as the "King of the Underground" by the other prisoners. Will he bring back Chang and Choi to their dark days again?

CHANG KOEHAN
Once a feared and violent criminal, the two-meter-and-more-tall Chang battles with an enormous iron ball he spins like a tennis ball. Chang trained hard in the past in tae kwon do while under Kim's "Rehabilitation Project", but he teams up now with Xanadu.

CHOI BOUNGE
Butcher during the day, Choi was once feared as a ripper during the night. Choi gives a hard time to his opponents thanks his super speed and claw attacks. One day, he chanced to have stalked on Kim during one of his nightly walks, and was then forced to join his "Rehabilitation Project". His rehabilitation program over, Choi teams up now with Xanadu.

Top Bottom