• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

Please please PLEASE let Antonov have a balanced version for Tournament play.

He'll be like Saiki from KOF XIII. The version we're seeing in the trailer should be the "balanced" version for tournament play.

I think this might be the first time we're getting such a big bodied KOF boss actual be tournament playable.

qcf x2

As fantastic as this game is shaping up to be, I find myself missing Whip more and more. I wonder when next we'll see her?

Also shout outs to Juicebox, very solid performance out there! What has the reaction been like from non KoF players?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
CnnjLceWEAEevHj.jpg:large

Evo Japan announced.

Could it be XIV's first Evo?

Did they mention when it'd happen? It would be great for KOF to become the Street Fighter of JP Evo, but that's theoretically impossible, with EVO being a Capcom thing, lol.

I keep hoping the KOF trailer will play on ESPN2, lol. Hey, we've seen Tekken 7! And that's not until next year!

Loona

oh didn't see the story trailer

I'm thinking... Orochi?

Nah - there's a glimpse of a humanoid figure glowing as if it was set on fire, which isn't really Orochi's thing.

The leak described the final boss as a humanoid "soulnado" who could bring in people from any reality, while Orochi is more of a "let's try and reboot life on Earth without humanity since they messed up" sort of force.

Finaika

The new one is good but i prefer the old one, in any case the million dollar question is how can Kyo read what's written in the letter if he burns it before opening it?

He read the letter then put it back into the envelope again.

BadWolf

Played a bunch of Bob Wilson over the weekend and had a blast, made me look forward to Zarina even more.

Wonder if the people who worked on him also created her, she shares so much with him.

Did they mention when it'd happen? It would be great for KOF to become the Street Fighter of JP Evo, but that's theoretically impossible, with EVO being a Capcom thing, lol.

I keep hoping the KOF trailer will play on ESPN2, lol. Hey, we've seen Tekken 7! And that's not until next year!

Nope unfortunately, they only announced it and said that there will be more details at TGS.

It would be great if the game line up was more Japan centered with a bigger focus on KOF, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, BlazBlu etc. Forget stuff like MK, Smash, KI etc.

EDIT:

Second KOF Station episode incoming:

WEBcast "KOF STATION CHANNEL XIV #2" will air on July 19th AM10:00, JST! Stay tuned!

Also:

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
LTTP but just wanna say how impressed i am of SNK actually over delivering.

It's the first time they've been so open (At least to the west) and welcoming to the community. Kudos to Atlus and Deep Silver too.

It feels like if the devs were given the power to do PR for the first time, and for the looks of it they're having a great time workin' on the new SNK.

I didnt expect a demo with 7!!! characters !!
And knowing this is the first FG of the new SNK, oh man what a time to be a SNK fanboy.

TreIII

He should. Considering SNK have been heavily boasting this game's 50 character roster, it would be a waste if two of them were banned from tournament play.

He'll be like Saiki from KOF XIII. The version we're seeing in the trailer should be the "balanced" version for tournament play.

I would hope so, too! It's just that there's still the small thing in my mind that is almost expecting for the other shoe to drop, and be prepped for the notion that neither he or the final guy were "meant to be picked up for serious play". In a game where there's still plenty of elements that exist that purely just for fanservice and fun (not that I'm begrudging that much at all!), it's just a possibility that I could expect.

I just want positive confirmation that's not the case, is all! Cuz I'd love to learn this guy and put him on a squad with King Dino...

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Oh, and the preorder PS4 theme? Pretty pretty pretty cool.
The esaka version is super smooth and the characters change on each session.

qcf x2

LTTP but just wanna say how impressed i am of SNK actually over delivering.

It's the first time they've been so open (At least to the west) and welcoming to the community. Kudos to Atlus and Deep Silver too.

It feels like if the devs were given the power to do PR for the first time, and for the looks of it they're having a great time workin' on the new SNK.

I didnt expect a demo with 7!!! characters !!
And knowing this is the first FG of the new SNK, oh man what a time to be a SNK fanboy.

I think we need to credit their Chinese overlords for being so hands off, giving them a budget and telling them they have (essentially and apparently) full control. They are kind of the unsung heroes here IMO.

Fersis

I think we need to credit their Chinese overlords for being so hands off, giving them a budget and telling them they have (essentially and apparently) full control. They are kind of the unsung heroes here IMO.
For real, it's pretty much the opoosite of how the old SNKP used to handle public relations.

IM F*CKING HYPE!!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So KoF Station later Tonight? Good, Good.

Seeing 2 forms of the Antonov trailer is interesting. Did Deep Silver and Atlus USA both get to cut their own versions in SNK's style from provided footage?

I still imagine the possibility of our "Soulnado" final boss fighting like my old concept for how Botan would fight in KoF: controlling a bunch of puppets / shades of characters we wouldn't see dedicated fighters from in this particular game. Basically, imagine it tossing the entire SNK character catalogue at you in one form or another.

SNK must be AMAZINGLY convincing in the fact that they can be "acquired" by new ownership... and still get to act as basically themselves, but with more money. Even in the Playmore / Eolith years, I was always impressed that you could feel many of their design philosophies and traditional traits still coming through.

Just a wonderfully stubborn company in that way. There's so many JP devs that get new ownership, or lose their IPs to derivative works that seem to have no idea how to properly carry on their visions; But SNK seemed to always avoid that, more or less. I only wish that a company like Hudson could have the same kind of fate as they, rather than being absorbed and largely ignored by the people who bought them out, squandering all their value in the most disrespectful of ways...

Loona

I still imagine the possibility of our "Soulnado" final boss fighting like my old concept for how Botan would fight in KoF: controlling a bunch of puppets / shades of characters we wouldn't see dedicated fighters from in this particular game. Basically, imagine it tossing the entire SNK character catalogue at you in one form or another.

Summoning other characters would mean creating models for all of them - I could imagine the Nightmare Geese being used in the story as a tease of the alternate FF/South Town games reality (I know at least one of the Super Robot Wars does something like this, having a Getter Robo character become aware of his death in an alternate version of the franchise), but enough different ones for a complete moveset... I like the thought, but after 50 different models and animating all of them, I'm not really sure...

BadWolf

Summoning other characters would mean creating models for all of them - I could imagine the Nightmare Geese being used in the story as a tease of the alternate FF/South Town games reality (I know at least one of the Super Robot Wars does something like this, having a Getter Robo character become aware of his death in an alternate version of the franchise), but enough different ones for a complete moveset... I like the thought, but after 50 different models and animating all of them, I'm not really sure...

Also kinda wouldn't work for a character that is supposed to be a part of the playable roster.

Here's hoping for someone cool and memorable. Maybe the first female final boss?

Negaduck

I love that just like someone purchased SNK (I believe that was the case) and the rights to KOF, they just said Fuck it and made that the story of the game lol.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

That exactly why the extra sprites that started popping up in the mobile games bonus cards and XIII's achievement pictures really seemed like perfect teases. Sure they might not have had the money or time to make, say, Geese or Heidern into full characters, but a few frames that could pull off a move or 2?

Same idea in 3D; fully making models for characters is one thing, but a few simplier models with some unique motion data, no new VA work, and no over-concentration of lip synching, exaggerated physics, or making unique effects?

Also kinda wouldn't work for a character that is supposed to be a part of the playable roster.

Here's hoping for someone cool and memorable. Maybe the first female final boss?

Eh, wouldn't be too much different than Sonico in Nitro+ Blasterz. Or even Chizuru sending out mirror images of herself to attack. And lets not even mention Gargos's sending out 2 assist to help him battle in new KI, the minions Blackheart summons in the Marvel games for basic button presses, or Chang in CVS2... there's loads of ways to make a "group" into a single playable character.

And it always seemed like an appropriate end boss for KOF, to actually throw a team at you, rather than a single combatant.

Heck, I'd "settle" for 100 demon night in a 3D graphics fighter:

akari-super2.gif

BadWolf

Thanks for the link SAB CA, the tutorial isn't half bad. Even teaches you about the advanced cancels etc.

Eh, wouldn't be too much different than Sonico in Nitro+ Blasterz. Or even Chizuru sending out mirror images of herself to attack. And lets not even mention Gargos's sending out 2 assist to help him battle in new KI, the minions Blackheart summons in the Marvel games for basic button presses, or Chang in CVS2... there's loads of ways to make a "group" into a single playable character.

And it always seemed like an appropriate end boss for KOF, to actually throw a team at you, rather than a single combatant.

If it's the boss' own minions then that's fine but if it's just previous KOF characters then it would be kind of meh for a playable character. Tbh I'm not a fan of boss characters that use existing character moves ala Dural from VF etc. I'd rather the boss be it's own character ala Antonov.

『Inaba Resident』;210430158 said:
Super tempted to make one real quick

Made an account but stuck at work ;_;

TreIII

SNK must be AMAZINGLY convincing in the fact that they can be "acquired" by new ownership... and still get to act as basically themselves, but with more money. Even in the Playmore / Eolith years, I was always impressed that you could feel many of their design philosophies and traditional traits still coming through.

Just a wonderfully stubborn company in that way. There's so many JP devs that get new ownership, or lose their IPs to derivative works that seem to have no idea how to properly carry on their visions; But SNK seemed to always avoid that, more or less. I only wish that a company like Hudson could have the same kind of fate as they, rather than being absorbed and largely ignored by the people who bought them out, squandering all their value in the most disrespectful of ways...

Oh, yes...
#FucKonami for real.

But in any case, it can't be reiterated enough. After almost two decades' worth of dealing with some type of financial misfortune of some type or another, it's just great to see SNK actually seeming to thrive and step into the 21st century in a way that they never seemed to do during the Eolith and Playmore eras.

I can only imagine greater things to happen after KOFXIV releases, and everybody gets to move on to more projects like SS, MOTW, MS and (hopefully) some new IPs in other genres.

Loona

That exactly why the extra sprites that started popping up in the mobile games bonus cards and XIII's achievement pictures really seemed like perfect teases. Sure they might not have had the money or time to make, say, Geese or Heidern into full characters, but a few frames that could pull off a move or 2?

The issues with sprites and 3D models in this sort of thing are almost reversed - it seems more worthwhile to make a 3D model the more you intend to use it for different animations, while a sprite's benefit is greater the more you can reuse the same pose(s).
I wouldn't expect a model on part with that of the existing characters for a single brief move, especially if it's meant to represent and entirely absent game series...

Then again, you never know, my respect for SNK comes from them often going the extra mile in their efforts...

They did bother to model a whole dragon for MuiMui's Climax...

Heck, I'd "settle" for 100 demon night in a 3D graphics fighter:

akari-super2.gif

I love that move in crossovers, but if it's to appear in KoF, it'd probably be by the 3rd game of the story arc or something... waaay too many references you practically have to pause to fully identify.

I made an account for Nioh, so I'm glad I kept it around!

Time to download.

Also, after being invited every single year, does Kyo even need to read it anymore?

Het_Nkik

I love that just like someone purchased SNK (I believe that was the case) and the rights to KOF, they just said Fuck it and made that the story of the game lol.

Reminds me of the Neo Geo Battle Coliseum story about the group WAREZ trying to take over the Neo Geo World or whatever. Funny stuff.

shaowebb

My worst fear is that the firey boss will be the return of Ash Crimson as a lost soul.

That'd be the ultimate troll after folks hated on him so hard that in KOF 13 they not only killed him off but had him erase himself from all possible timelines. To bring Ash back...hoo boy would the salt flow.

Top Bottom