• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

anyone tried the tutorial yet? is it any good?

Even on the demo it's actually pretty decent and indepth-ish. If you already know how to play KoF especially after KoFXIII it kinda just clicks right away. You know what you need to go far and how tight the links are. It's not as hard to play as KoFXIII since the combos are nowhere near as long (Yo Takuma) but the game still retains a very tight input system with little room for error. It's not too over the top of you're looking to get into the series or fighting games in general.

Have a 5 meter Neo Max 75% combo with Shun'ei

HotHamBoy

This might be a silly question, but could I download the demo from my pc and put it on a usb into the ps4?

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...demo/cid=EP4062-CUSA05543_00-KOF14SIEEDEMO111

is it up in Japan store?

free kof 2000
theme a bit offtopic , found it while searching for kof

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...heme/cid=UP0576-CUSA03748_00-UTH0000000007116

Nice find, that probably released with the PS2 Classic.

I just went ahead and made an Aussie account since it was a lot faster than waiting until tomorrow afternoon.

Downloading 3.3 GB now. Very excited to see how it compares to XIII, easily my favorite fighting game last gen.

HotHamBoy

First impressions:

FEELS GOOD, MAN.

Fun to play, feels like KOF.

Stages are awesome, as always. The music is GREAT and makes the SFV soundtrack sound weaksauce. Also, the NPCs are moving at 60 fps (heheh).

Is there no anti-aliasing? The hair on a lot of characters is full of jaggies. It's only really noticeable when they are standing, but it looks rough.

Speaking of rough, the front flap (sash?) of Mai's outfit clips through her thigh in her standing and win poses. -_-

Overall, the graphics are sort of early PS3 quality. I recently popped in KOF Maximum Impact and it definitely looks much better than that PS2 game. People exaggerate. But the designs are strong and game is colorful. It looks nice enough, it sounds great, it plays great. I'm sad that they aren't continuing with all the effort that was put into KOF XII and XIII's gorgeous sprites and backgrounds, but I understand why.

Hopefully this build is a little earlier than the release build and it gets a final polish pass.

Can't wait til August!

Update: Sylvie is fucking AWESOME.

TreIII

Daaaaaaamn. King Dino feels so good. Trying to find all of his guard point attacks/animations and their uses, but of course, the AI isn't cooperating so much.

And of course, stuck with trying to get things out of this Dualshock controller until my Hori arrives...

I made a couple of things.

Here's a grab setup with KoD in MAX mode. Have an enemy block a braked C Anklyo Hammer, and then use your EX command throw. You are minus after the Hammer, so it can get hit before you execute your EX grab. If they aren't fast enough/their normal won't reach, then their normal will get stuffed by your armor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYIHsqg26q4

Also a quick KoD combo video. Nothing super fancy, just practical combos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIofe1TcEY0

Menitta

I'm gonna be really upset if the Collectors Edition doesn't have the preorder DLC. I'll buy Nightmare Geese if it doesn't but still...

Amedo310

I'm gonna be really upset if the Collectors Edition doesn't have the preorder DLC. I'll buy Nightmare Geese if it doesn't but still...

Sorry, but Nightmare Geese Costume is only with the digital version for now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shunei note:

dp+C can go through certain projectiles: https://www.facebook.com/Amedo310/videos/10153730532027078/?permPage=1

I only tested Mai's for now.

Menitta

Sorry, but Nightmare Geese Costume is only with the digital version for now.

ron-swanson-computer-throw-out-parks-and-rec.gif

I need a new reaction gif...

I made a couple of things.

Here's a grab setup with KoD in MAX mode. Have an enemy block a braked C Anklyo Hammer, and then use your EX command throw. You are minus after the Hammer, so it can get hit before you execute your EX grab. If they aren't fast enough/their normal won't reach, then their normal will get stuffed by your armor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYIHsqg26q4

Also a quick KoD combo video. Nothing super fancy, just practical combos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIofe1TcEY0

Man, KoD looks really interesting. Having played with him a bit, what are you thoughts on him?

Man, KoD looks really interesting. Having played with him a bit, what are you thoughts on him?

I won't lie, he's rough. A lot of folks who played KOF XIV at events called him bad. I don't consider him to be bad, but I don't think he's great; not in the same way that big bodies like Maxima, Daimon or even Chang are.

He has a lot of inconsistencies with his combos, like his Anklyo Hammer just whiffs at certain distances in a combo, so it's best to use the brake every time you use it. His run is extremely slow, it doesn't do him any favors.

Also, he gets no setup after his command throw. The enemy recovers too quickly after it hits, and you have no time to run or jump toward them and set up something safely. His C and EX command throw does have autoguard/armor on them, so they a little more useful in neutral situations than other character's command throws.

His standing C and D normals do have autoguard, I believe. I couldn't really get the AI to attack me when I wanted to, so I couldn't really test out how long the autoguard lasts. I found it hard to confirm MAX mode combos off of landed far C and D normals. His overhead command normal(the headbutt) only combos from close normals at point black range. If it had more horizontal movement, it would be a much more useful combo tool.

His Assault Raptor(jumping command throw) is duckable, which sucks. I'd rarely use it in the neutral. It's useful for closing the distance after you land a blowback, and you might be able to hit somebody when they use a fireball, but I see no good offensive use for his Assault Raptor. It's not nearly as useful as something like Birdie's jumping command throw in SF5.

I'm no KOF pro, but I do think that KoD is kind of a rough/incomplete character. If he had a few little changes to how his moves worked, then I feel he would be much better. As is, he's all right. I'll play him, but I might use characters like Maxima, Chang and Xanadu(big might in his case) over KoD.

shaowebb

I won't lie, he's rough. A lot of folks who played KOF XIV at events called him bad. I don't consider him to be bad, but I don't think he's great; not in the same way that big bodies like Maxima, Daimon or even Chang are.

He has a lot of inconsistencies with his combos, like his Anklyo Hammer just whiffs at certain distances in a combo, so it's best to use the brake every time you use it. His run is extremely slow, it doesn't do him any favors.

Also, he gets no setup after his command throw. The enemy recovers too quickly after it hits, and you have no time to run or jump toward them and set up something safely. His C and EX command throw does have autoguard/armor on them, so they a little more useful in neutral situations than other character's command throws.

His standing C and D normals do have autoguard, I believe. I couldn't really get the AI to attack me when I wanted to, so I couldn't really test out how long the autoguard lasts. I found it hard to confirm MAX mode combos off of landed far C and D normals. His overhead command normal(the headbutt) only combos from close normals at point black range. If it had more horizontal movement, it would be a much more useful combo tool.

His Assault Raptor(jumping command throw) is duckable, which sucks. I'd rarely use it in the neutral. It's useful for closing the distance after you land a blowback, and you might be able to hit somebody when they use a fireball, but I see no good offensive use for his Assault Raptor. It's not nearly as useful as something like Birdie's jumping command throw in SF5.

I'm no KOF pro, but I do think that KoD is kind of a rough/incomplete character. If he had a few little changes to how his moves worked, then I feel he would be much better. As is, he's all right. I'll play him, but I might use characters like Maxima, Chang and Xanadu(big might in his case) over KoD.

What shocks me so much about KoD is that from the footage I've seen he rarely crosses up on his stuff which boggles the mind given how large he is. Slow, no crossups, and no setups after a throw? How does THAT work as a grappler? Only thing I can think of is a LOT of armor, or autoguard cancels into stuff to make his meaties super safe.Maybe he's a max mode monster and your just suppose to go ham with his ex tools?

My impressions so far

Gameplay 10
Sound effects 8 I give kof 99 sfx a 10.
Music 9
Special effects graphics 4, snk really needs to improve this asap.
Character models 8
Backgrounds 8
HUD 8
Textures 5
IQ 6
Controls 10
Presentation 8
Voices 7
Fun factor 10

To improve the graphics I had to lower the internal brightness in the game.

I like the women's voice announcer better but I dislike her constantly saying "wow" every combo higher than 4 hits.

The lp,hp,hk,lk, hit effects are terrible looking, why yellow mustard color snk on hp hk SNK?

As others mention jaggies are present, and I can't help but to feel that the game lacks dat kof special charm.

Although is just a demo, I feel like they won't have time for that extra polish I wanted, doesn't the game go gold next saturday?

I will still buy, I hope SNK surprises in tje future with a nice ps4 neo patch to fix the issues I have with the game.

Finaika

My impressions so far

Gameplay 10
Music 9
Character models 8
Backgrounds 8
HUD 8
Textures 5
IQ 6
Controls 10
Presentation 8
Voices 7
Fun factor 10

I like the women's voice announcer better but I dislike her constantly saying "wow" every combo higher than 4 hits.

The lp,hp,hk,lk, hit effects are terrible looking, why yellow mustard color snk on hp hk SNK?

As others mention jaggies are present, and I can't help but to feel that the game lacks dat kof special charm.

Although is just a demo, I feel like they won't have time for that extra polish I wanted, doesn't the game go gold next saturday?

I will still buy, I hope SNK surprises in tje future with a nice ps4 neo patch to fix the issues I have with the game.

There's still more than a month to go, plenty of time to add anti-aliasing.

Amedo310

My impressions so far

Gameplay 10
Music 9
Character models 8
Backgrounds 8
HUD 8
Textures 5
IQ 6
Controls 10
Presentation 8
Voices 7
Fun factor 10

Game is already golden. Everything in visuals is the final product.

Numb

Sylvie looks less horrible in blue
She still got eyeballs on her shoes and a pizza skirt but small victories. Small victories

HotHamBoy

Usually demos are older builds. Sometimes months older.

I just bought the digital version for the sick dynamic theme. The move/cursor SFX is kind of annoying though.

This is what keeps me from using 90% of the themes I've tried.

You can mute system key tones but the silence makes me feel like my TV is muted.

I know people are mostly busy with the demo, but there's some good stuff here. Namely little developer comments and tidbits

-Angel was the first female model created for the game and was used as the standard for the other women fighters.

-Alice hit effects and sounds are pachinko coins.

-Developers went to China and went to the very place the Psycho Soldier stage is based on. There's also supposed to be an Easter Egg in the theme (??? I'm presume it's the hints of the classic Psycho Soldier theme?)

-Zarina's VA improvised her lines with a unique accent mostly noticeable in her win quotes.

-Mature's face was designed with a snake in mind

-Meitenkun is unique for a charge character, the longer you hold back, the stronger the move becomes.

-The dancers in there Another World team stage were animated with motion capture.

-Next video should be early August.

Top Bottom