• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
『Inaba Resident』;210435618 said:
I'm in love with Sylvie. So fun.
Does the training stage theme change depending on who you're fighting?

Downloading
Don't need an Australian account on my console but what can you do

Where are you folks from? @__@

Tizoc

Make an Australian account
Just googled some adresses

Aus and NZ stores huh? Guess it'll go up in a few more hours onto EU PSN, well I can wait while my PS4 finishes downloading Xrd update and Dizzy and then tomorrow I can put a few hours into the demo X3

Otherwise let me know when it is up on HK PSN @o@

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I NEVER KNEW I LIVED IN NEW ZELAND! FANCY THAT! *ahem* Oh download speeds, be faster, would you?

Thanks for the link SAB CA, the tutorial isn't half bad. Even teaches you about the advanced cancels etc.
NP! I was kinda hoping something like this would happen ever since last night, lol.

If it's the boss' own minions then that's fine but if it's just previous KOF characters then it would be kind of meh for a playable character. Tbh I'm not a fan of boss characters that use existing character moves ala Dural from VF etc. I'd rather the boss be it's own character ala Antonov.

Note I never said just previous KoF characters. I said "SNK Character catalogue" ;) Sieger's awesome flame punch here, Magician Lord's projectile shots, A memorable note from Cool Cool Toon, Attack with a boss from Sengoku, do something with that Fighters History license they got for Mizonguchi in MIRA... Just attack me with the entire Neo Geo library in mind, lol.

Made an account but stuck at work ;_;
If only you could stick it onto your PS4 so it'd already be downloading!

Oh, yes...
#FucKonami for real.

But in any case, it can't be reiterated enough. After almost two decades' worth of dealing with some type of financial misfortune of some type or another, it's just great to see SNK actually seeming to thrive and step into the 21st century in a way that they never seemed to do during the Eolith and Playmore eras.

I can only imagine greater things to happen after KOFXIV releases, and everybody gets to move on to more projects like SS, MOTW, MS and (hopefully) some new IPs in other genres.

Bomberman rivals my love for KoF! Such disrespect...

If SNK becomes some big company that's an eden for JP game development to produce in ways similar to the old days, I'm sure we, and some of the devs, couldn't be happier. Much like Square's "I Am Setsuna" team, I really think there's a demand for projects that embrace those times. Not just for nostalgia, but also because a progression along those lines is in itself refreshing.

The issues with sprites and 3D models in this sort of thing are almost reversed - it seems more worthwhile to make a 3D model the more you intend to use it for different animations, while a sprite's benefit is greater the more you can reuse the same pose(s).
I wouldn't expect a model on part with that of the existing characters for a single brief move, especially if it's meant to represent and entirely absent game series...

It all depends. If you've got models being made for another game that can be purposed by little more than a movement file swap and no textures to be another character, that's a lot of mileage out of something fairly simple. If the boss, say, had their own moves, and a generic samurai warrior, and modern girl model doing moves from various SNK series, as "assist", they together could all pull off a bunch of references, and I think we'd get the idea on what they're hinting at.

Then again, you never know, my respect for SNK comes from them often going the extra mile in their efforts...

They did bother to model a whole dragon for MuiMui's Climax...

I guess I just think it'd be a bit of a waste to take the time to make a character that could potentially tease not only this saga, but the entire future of SNK at the moment, and not do something a bit more complex than "super power singular moveset". Let Nakoruru see a bit of Haoumaru in this, if only for a CVS level Hard slash to exist in the game, lol.

I love that move in crossovers, but if it's to appear in KoF, it'd probably be by the 3rd game of the story arc or something... waaay too many references you practically have to pause to fully identify.

I dunno, Releasing a bunch of entities into the world from the first start IS a good way to totally throw us off on what to expect in the next parts of the saga...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Sylvie EX DM "Paula Experiment" OTGs off a regular sweep.

Her LP Command normal combos off lights, special move cancellable.
LK Command Normal combos off heavies, but isn't special move cancellable.
Can be cancelled into supers when combo'd into, not when done by itself?

BadWolf

Note I never said just previous KoF characters. I said "SNK Character catalogue" ;) Sieger's awesome flame punch here, Magician Lord's projectile shots, A memorable note from Cool Cool Toon, Attack with a boss from Sengoku, do something with that Fighters History license they got for Mizonguchi in MIRA... Just attack me with the entire Neo Geo library in mind, lol.

Now that would be pretty damn awesome.

If only you could stick it onto your PS4 so it'd already be downloading!

If only, just made the account while at work so it's not connected to my PS4 yet :(

The one that looked like an overhead? It's main use will probably be for quick maxing.

If she has a hard knockdown move then that EX DM would be very useful.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

Callin' it: Sylvie and Mui Mui are gonna be Top tier

It is exactly because of this that I thought Kyo's Neomax in XIII was him throwing out the KOF invite. People getting roast in the pillar that came afterwards was always a baptism in flame, welcoming new players to the series, lol.

I do love all the Nostalgic notes they're hitting. Really makes me hype to see what kind of situations will be set up in the story cinematics.

I love all these little KoF headcanons you have. Just want to let you know.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Mai can get her command chain (LK, HK) out of Cr. A or a close stand a.

This can all be combo'd into Heavy RyuuEnbu, Heavy Kachousen, or heavy Shinobi Bachi.

You can even do the 3 normals, MAX cancel, and then do them all over again. Talk about a long confirm, lol. And since Mai's Chou Hissatsu Shinobi Bachi and CDM are all air OK, you can do those after Shinobi Bachi with no issue. Talk about feeling versatile and free flowing!

Edit: Hmm, I thought we didnt' have HP Bypass? HDB+MAX activation for Mai (even using the shortcut button of R1) produces an EX Ryuu Enbu.

I love all these little KoF headcanons you have. Just want to let you know.

LoL, thanks, appreciated! (^_^) So much fun with stuff like that.

Amedo310

Interesting. Only button that is plus for Kyo is cr. B.

His Climax input is at a spot, since the orochinagi shortcut is in the game. He literally one input away from doing EX orochinagi if he try to do his climax.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
MAX Bypass also works with Shun'ei. Best for his QCB+P to me, the DP seems to oddly get mixed up with the normal strong one sometimes?

His Far C can chain into itself?

Instant Air Dashes with EX Air Dashes everyone! WE GG NOW! *ahem*
Instant normal Blau Wing stops you in mid air, and then you take on the jump movement after the attack on the weak version. Strong one stops you, and sends you backwards.

Hop and full jump C can be canceled into air dash, but not the wing.
Hop and full jump CD can be cancelled into either. Air CD is easier to cancel into a dash when high up. You can even hit with the CD on the way up, and then air dash out of it to safety. at midscreen, SHINE KNUCKLE OK!

Close C, fwd+b->a.Blau Wing leaves them in a jugglable stage. You can actually land a sweep in the corner, setting up a nice recovery roll trap.

Everything in this game seems pretty... timing generous. The Auto-run after MAX mode gives you a long time to run in and confirm another hit, and Instant air moves feel more like you need to wait for the game to "understand" the jump, rather than doing it as fast as humanly possible.

Thus, I feel like I can properly take a small breath between my inputs, rather than overlapping them at instant speed and possibly mixing them up. This might be a good thing, but it might make some people think it feels sluggish?

Why isn't Leona in this Demo? (TT_TT) On to KOD!

BadWolf

Thanks for all the impressions and notes guys, really good to hear that the execution is more lenient. Should help people who were having issues with XIII.

Just a few low level impressions from a dude who rarely played KOF (and regrets it).

The presentation is a little dull for the menus, but IDGAF. I like simple menus in fighting games because I'm here to fight, not look at a goddamn screen. I'm sure people will complain about that, though.

Music is great. It's decidedly SNK (from what I remember mashing at arcades, anyway). What is it with FGs hitting it out of the park with their OSTs lately? KI, SFV, GG, and now this. So good.

The tutorial feels like it needs a little more.But hey, at least people can actually perform the actions instead of watching a movie.

Content wise, this game is looking stacked. Story, Versus, Training, Gallery, Online, Trial, Time Attack, Survival, and Tutorial. Pretty rad stuff.

I see some of the weird motions are still at play. I'll have to practice coming off SFV's simpler inputs.

Told you this game looks better in person. The way Kyo's hair sways, the backgrounds, the fire effects, etc. Eat my ass.

Pretty much all of the characters are fun as hell. ToD is one I wanna learn, but I don't know if he's good for beginners. Slyvie is SUPER fun, and it's crazy how much I like her after she looked like garbo on her reveal. Kyo and Iori are who they are, but I like Iori's playstyle quite a bit. The new guy has air stuff, and his normals are fun. Mai, I haven't tried yet, but I assume she has some crazy stuff to play around with.

But Nelson. Oh my god Nelson? Who made this character? Most of his moves are normal chains/command normals. I love it!

Loading times could be a little better, but luckily after you start one match, restarting cuts them down a little.

Basically, I can't wait to learn this game, and I'll be buying it twice like I did with SFV (once for digital so I can get it the night of, and the special edition). Can't wait to get bopped!

Just a few low level impressions from a dude who rarely played KOF (and regrets it).

The presentation is a little dull for the menus, but IDGAF. I like simple menus in fighting games because I'm here to fight, not look at a goddamn screen. I'm sure people will complain about that, though.

Music is great. It's decidedly SNK (from what I remember mashing at arcades, anyway). What is it with FGs hitting it out of the park with their OSTs lately? KI, SFV, GG, and now this. So good.

The tutorial feels like it needs a little more.But hey, at least people can actually perform the actions instead of watching a movie.

Content wise, this game is looking stacked. Story, Versus, Training, Gallery, Online, Trial, Time Attack, Survival, and Tutorial. Pretty rad stuff.

I see some of the weird motions are still at play. I'll have to practice coming off SFV's simpler inputs.

Told you this game looks better in person. The way Kyo's hair sways, the backgrounds, the fire effects, etc. Eat my ass.

Pretty much all of the characters are fun as hell. ToD is one I wanna learn, but I don't know if he's good for beginners. Slyvie is SUPER fun, and it's crazy how much I like her after she looked like garbo on her reveal. Kyo and Iori are who they are, but I like Iori's playstyle quite a bit. The new guy has air stuff, and his normals are fun. Mai, I haven't tried yet, but I assume she has some crazy stuff to play around with.

But Nelson. Oh my god Nelson? Who made this character? Most of his moves are normal chains/command normals. I love it!

Loading times could be a little better, but luckily after you start one match, restarting cuts them down a little.

Basically, I can't wait to learn this game, and I'll be buying it twice like I did with SFV (once for digital so I can get it the night of, and the special edition). Can't wait to get bopped!
This is my impressions as well. I have never played KoF before but I'm really enjoying this demo. I'll definitely make this game my first.

BadWolf

Good stuff!

Could you explain this bypass thing? I've seen it mentioned before but don't quite understand. It's an input shortcut of some sort?

Yup, it lets you bypass the activation stage and go straight into a special (while entering max mode at the same time).

Here's a tutorial: Kuso Introduction to BC / HD Bypass Technique

In XIV it will allow you to do EX moves in combos right after a normal, instead of having to activate and dash up etc. in the middle of a combo first.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Could you explain this bypass thing? I've seen it mentioned before but don't quite understand. It's an input shortcut of some sort?

Assuming I'm not butchering the term myself, You push the MAX command (LK and HP) at the same time while doing a move, and it'll automatically do the move itself in MAX move. You bypass the MAX autorun / activation Pose to go directly into MAX in the move you want to do.

I should correct myself too: If you do the motion with the default MAX buttons, you of course get the normal version of the move. But press it with, say, 2 of the same type + the HD activation, and you'll get an EX move.

No Mid-air MAX activation here, though.

Skilletor

Kof14 feels great. Some minor things that bother me, but they've handled the transition from 2d to 3d for the first time better than anybody other than ASW.

Just hoping for good netcode now.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I can't find any cancellable throws or anything for KOD. That OTG from Ankylo seems like this "OOOOO!" ability.

Breaking Ankylo Hammer is also great. Leaves them in a spin from 1st hit on weak version (no comboable frame advantage, just mixup potential), on HP version, cancelling the 2nd hit leaves them in a juggle state, which is useful for corner resets.

Yucatan Punch catches a person jumping after the break? Hit them with a CD, or a CDM.

His LP ZetsuMetsu Hurricane combos from ALMOST the full range of St.LP. Very Goro-Like with that.

Far HP is super cancellable into Dinner of Dinosaurs DM for a combo. Can cancel into throw DM, but he wont grab them, just run at them, hoping to grab them.

Dinner can be used in a juggle to get about 2 hits, then they generally fall out of it. So within those 2 hits is when you want to CDM. Of course, Dinner OD can be Advanced canceled into Super ZetsuMetsu hurricane via advanced cancel, but only works if they're still standing on the ground (it doesn't catch out the air or anything.)

BadWolf

Interesting, thanks. So in neutral, it's looking like you can toss an EX move out instantly while activating max mode by using the bypass? Instead of first activating, then tossing it.

That's a useful thing to know.

Nope, you can only do it after a normal hits on block or on hit, or during the landing frames of a jump.

For example, Kyo is not in max mode. You do standing HP and then input the DP via bypass.

This will make Kyo do standing HP and the DP but you will notice that Kyo will be in max mode while he is doing the DP, even though he wasn't before you hit the standing HP.

Add in another punch button into your bypass DP input and he will do an instant EX DP instead after the HP.

So you can do HP>EX DP instead of HP>activate>dash>normal or EX DP.

I can't find any cancellable throws or anything for KOD. That OTG from Ankylo seems like this "OOOOO!" ability.

Breaking Ankylo Hammer is also great. Leaves them in a spin from 1st hit on weak version (no comboable frame advantage, just mixup potential), on HP version, cancelling the 2nd hit leaves them in a juggle state, which is useful for corner resets.

Yucatan Punch catches a person jumping after the break? Hit them with a CD, or a CDM.

His LP ZetsuMetsu Hurricane combos from ALMOST the full range of St.LP. Very Goro-Like with that.

Far HP is super cancellable into Dinner of Dinosaurs DM for a combo. Can cancel into throw DM, but he wont grab them, just run at them, hoping to grab them.

Dinner can be used in a juggle to get about 2 hits, then they generally fall out of it. So within those 2 hits is when you want to CDM. Of course, Dinner OD can be Advanced canceled into Super ZetsuMetsu hurricane via advanced cancel, but only works if they're still standing on the ground (it doesn't catch out the air or anything.)

That sounds interesting. KOD seems to be really fun to play once you get the hang of him.

And someone has found a 100% combo with Shu'nei.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdS7xqHVh6A

OmegaDL50

So there is standard training stage now for KOF XIV.

I kind of hope you can also do a stage select like in the older KOF's like '98 for training mode so I can check out all of the backgrounds rather than being stuck on the drab generic training stage that is present in some of the new fighting games as of late.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Ok, Nelson.

First off, he can chain basically 4 of any light normals into each other, from close up. So go from high to lows, it all works nicely.

His basic command normals work like a normal KOF character. So you can cancel them into his special dodge or his command throw easily.

Once you start getting into his special command normals, though, you're restricted on canceling only into more of those command normals.

A weird bonus is also that you can cancel his overhead into his special moves... and to other LK command normals. His d.LK chain normal can also be empty canceled (like say if you've uppercut the opponent, and the d.LK whiffs) into another higher-series normal, for timing purposes (like to get the full 2 punches on Radion[.strike] f.HP

This man is swag.
Midscreen double juggle because LOOKS COOL:
b.lp, b.lk, f.hk, b.lk f.hk, (DM / f.HP / normal for Reset / CDM, whatever)

BadWolf

^Thanks!

I'm really looking forward to trying him.

So there is standard training stage now for KOF XIV.

I kind of hope you can also do a stage select like in the older KOF's like '98 for training mode so I can check out all of the backgrounds rather than being stuck on the drab generic training stage that is present in some of the new fighting games as of late.

You can, training mode doesn't force you to use the training stage.

OmegaDL50

You can, training mode doesn't force you to use the training stage.

Awesome, really glad about this.

I never understood why it was a thing about being locked in to the training only stage in some fighting games. I didn't understand why that was even a thing.

How do I get the demo?

Edit: only Australia huh?

For now...

It'll be released in your time zone eventually.

I'm from East Coast US, so I probably won't be able to get it until 1PM to 2PM tomorrow.

I just don't want to go through the hassle of opening a different region PSN account when I'll never use it beyond the demo.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Of course Nelson's Hop B is a 2 hitter that allows you to land basically any light normal afterwards with slightly lazy timing (hitting a bit early) or a heavy one if hit later (proper timing)

Are you sure he's not the new main hero? XD

Only thing I dont' like is that I wish you could cancel the recovery of his command throw into DMs, but... it's not like it really matters. If he wants to land DMs, he basically does it off floats, or KOF-regular style combos. If he wants to just beat you normal style, he can go into his own chains.

I like that you can whiff cancel he entire chain series. So you can throw out a chain lvl 1,2,and then do the lvl 3 special dash / backhop movements. Since the chain dash is the only one that goes through opponents (his command dash, lp,hp, or EX, do not), it might actually be useful.

Top Bottom