• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMIX |OT| Sora is Everyone... in HD

Bladenic

So it sounds like the Staff is the best choice for when replaying the game on Proud/hardest difficulty, while Sword would provide useful for the easiest setting & speedrunning while not switching equipment? Wanna try and combine some trophies in a single playthrough.

If I go for Platinum (who am I kidding I probably will) I'll do Normal first, and get every trophy possible. Then Easy and speed runner, then finally Proud.

Gonna have to take your word on the Staff melee skills as I haven't played the final mix version. I tried for KH2, but never got very far.

sOnQWcu.gif

ibyoWxsUukTtNE.gif

You know you want to.

#teamstaff

Staff on Beginner is probably brutally, unfairly great in the very-very early game because of all of the AoE melee attacks you get right near the start, yeah.

I'll def get platinum in KH1. I'll do 100% run on Proud with all possible trophies exept non equip change, no continues and speedrun. I know it makes grinding materials and Gummi stuff harder but I don't care. I want my 100% save to be on proud mode.

After that speedrun on beginner with no equip changes and lastly standard run with no continues.

What's the difference between Gummi Ship on Proud and Beginner besides damage?

The hardest missions are those that you are required to never get hit, so the damage reduction wouldn't help at all.

What's the difference between Gummi Ship on Proud and Beginner besides damage?

The hardest missions are those that you are required to never get hit, so the damage reduction wouldn't help at all.

I think you also deal more damage on Beginner, which means killing enemies faster, which means fewer enemies and attacks to dodge.

Famassu

I've paged through KH1's trophy requirements and thought those were ridonculous. Now I checked what Re:CoM's are like. Not only does it require SIX playthroughs, there are horribly grindy card-collecting trophies with horribly low drop rates. -_-;

NOMURA, dude, PLZ CONSULT NAUGHTY DOG AND EVERY OTHER DEVELOPER ON HOW TO DO DIFFICULTY RELATED TROPHIES (AS IN, STACK THAT SHIT)

I've paged through KH1's trophy requirements and thought those were ridonculous. Now I checked what Re:CoM's are like. Not only does it require SIX playthroughs, there are horribly grindy card-collecting trophies with horribly low drop rates. -_-;

NOMURA, dude, PLZ CONSULT NAUGHTY DOG AND EVERY OTHER DEVELOPER ON HOW TO DO DIFFICULTY RELATED TROPHIES (AS IN, STACK THAT SHIT)
You'd think they would have had more imaginitive and fun trophy lists considering they used the trophies as a big marketing bulletpoint... which is ridicilous considering they are mandatory to all PS3 games.

Oh boy. I'd loved to have known that before I had 6 missions left to finish this shit.
I assume the missions are still doable on Proud? I'll take a challenge unless it is absolutely fuckin ridicilous.

To be fair, by the time you're taking that on you'll likely have *all* of the assorted new abilities for Final Mix, except for Zantetsuken.
I have a fair amount to learn about Final Mix at this point.
Though I will say I'll probably have Zantetsuken lol. Always found Ziza to be the easiest optional boss.

I have a fair amount to learn about Final Mix at this point.
Though I will say I'll probably have Zantetsuken lol. Always found Ziza to be the easiest optional boss.

Kurt Zisa is nerfed heavily by Leaf Bracer, IMO. It's absolutely his series of spinning attacks that is the most dangerous in vanilla KH1 precisely because he can keep stunning you out of a Cure animation and those are reasonably tough to dodge.

Famassu

You'd think they would have had more imaginitive and fun trophy lists considering they used the trophies as a big marketing bulletpoint... which is ridicilous considering they are mandatory to all PS3 games.
The funny thing is, I even remember Nomura discussing the trophies as if they were really trying to come up with some fun yet challenging ones. Then they don't really come up with anything but really basic ones (100% completion + speedrun & no continues run) and botch up the difficulty trophies.

I think this is the first Nomura project to have trophies, so I can only hope they get some feedback about this and at least fix the difficulty related ones in 2.5 (or, hopefully, they'd even patch that shit into 1.5).

The funny thing is, I even remember Nomura discussing the trophies as if they were really trying to come up with some fun yet challenging ones. Then they don't really come up with anything but really basic ones (100% completion + speedrun & no continues run) and botch up the difficulty trophies.

I think this is the first Nomura project to have trophies, so I can only hope they get some feedback about this and at least fix the difficulty related ones in 2.5 (or, hopefully, they'd even patch that shit into 1.5).

Technically BBS has its own "trophies" even if they aren't official PSN Trophies. So does DDD.

And in those ones, the difficulty levels stack, IIRC. Lol.

This was literally my logic as a kid whenever I played KH1. Also because I thought the staff looked silly as hell. :p

There's definitely a brief "blargh this sucks" moment when you first pick the Staff and have to fight Heartless using it and it's not as easy as it would be with the Sword (which, IIRC, is slightly better at damage-dealing during those very first Dive to the Heart battles). It tends to be pretty smooth sailing once you pick up your first few spells and abilities, though.
Goofy's MP gift was nerfed :(
I only recall the AP requirement going up.

MP Gift is more nerfed by the fact that MP Rage got nerfed than anything else. Goofy doesn't build up MP nearly as fast; the strategy used to be to unequip all of his other action abilities except for MP Gift so he'd just use his regular attack and not much else, but that's much less workable in Final Mix. Too bad, too; vanilla KH basically let you have infinite MP all the time in the endgame and Final Mix makes that significantly harder.

To be fair, Sora is invincible as long as he has Leaf Veil equipped and 1MP, so the nerf makes sense. In fact, if you have a full HP bar you can always get that 1MP by being hit 100% of the time before you die. It's kinda hard to die in this game after you get Leaf Veil lol

And I still can't fathom how people can make these choices. If we look at the beginning:
Sword: A very good slide that can stun enemies from afar and lets you escape attacks.
Shield: A bitchslap that looks cool and crits a lot.
Staff: BOOM! EVERYONE IS DEAD OR STUNNED! evillaugh.gif

#teamstaff4lyfe #dealwithit

Yeah, the MP Rage nerf and its assorted consequences make sense even if some of them are a bummer. I remember in the original game there were times when I'd *deliberately* take a small hit from a difficult boss so I could gain MP and heal myself up. There shouldn't be an incentive to do that.

weevles

Dang, I got a shipping notice from BestBuy already. I thought they weren't going to ship my game until closer to next week when the game "officially" launches...I guess this is a "soft launch" date?

Valnen

Dang, I got a shipping notice from BestBuy already. I thought they weren't going to ship my game until closer to next week when the game "officially" launches...I guess this is a "soft launch" date?

I hope not. I won't have the money available and I have an amazon preorder >.>.

Bladenic

There's definitely a brief "blargh this sucks" moment when you first pick the Staff and have to fight Heartless using it and it's not as easy as it would be with the Sword (which, IIRC, is slightly better at damage-dealing during those very first Dive to the Heart battles). It tends to be pretty smooth sailing once you pick up your first few spells and abilities, though.
I only recall the AP requirement going up.

MP Gift is more nerfed by the fact that MP Rage got nerfed than anything else. Goofy doesn't build up MP nearly as fast; the strategy used to be to unequip all of his other action abilities except for MP Gift so he'd just use his regular attack and not much else, but that's much less workable in Final Mix. Too bad, too; vanilla KH basically let you have infinite MP all the time in the endgame and Final Mix makes that significantly harder.

Oh? For some reason I recall that it was nerfed to only give one MP bar instead of 2. I believe in the original it cost 1 MP to use and gave 2 MP to whoever Goffy used it on iirc. If that wasn't changed, then great.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
To be fair, Sora is invincible as long as he has Leaf Veil equipped and 1MP, so the nerf makes sense. In fact, if you have a full HP bar you can always get that 1MP by being hit 100% of the time before you die. It's kinda hard to die in this game after you get Leaf Veil lol

And I still can't fathom how people can make these choices. If we look at the beginning:
Sword: A very good slide that can stun enemies from afar and lets you escape attacks.
Shield: A bitchslap that looks cool and crits a lot.
Staff: BOOM! EVERYONE IS DEAD OR STUNNED! evillaugh.gif

#teamstaff4lyfe #dealwithit

I have never played as #teamstaff

But I will now play as #teamstaff

So excited for this.

I always chose the sword when I started a new play-through on Kingdom Hearts, because I never realized there was a big difference between the staff and shield. What benefits does the staff and shield give you over the sword? Have I been missing out this whole time?

corn_fest

What's the deal with everyone saying it'll take 3 playthroughs for plat?
Does completing on Proud, for example, really not unlock the two lower difficulties' trophies?

One other question: in the original, from what I remember, there was a section in the beginning where you answered questions which determined how fast you leveled up, or something along those lines. Is that still a thing in Final Mix?

Does completing on Proud, for example, really not unlock the two lower difficulties' trophies?

One other question: in the original, from what I remember, there was a section in the beginning where you answered questions which determined how fast you leveled up, or something along those lines. Is that still a thing in Final Mix?

For your first question: no, completing the game on Proud does not unlock the two lower difficulties' trophies, at least not in the JPN version of the HD ReMIX.

For your second question: yes, that is still a thing.

I always chose the sword when I started a new play-through on Kingdom Hearts, because I never realized there was a big difference between the staff and shield. What benefits does the staff and shield give you over the sword? Have I been missing out this whole time?
You gain different abilities at different levels depending what you choose. Also your stat gains change. Sword gives strenght, Staff gives MP and AP and Shield gives defence and extra item slot.

Yup. You only get one difficulty related trophy per playtrough. The question related thing is still in Final Mix. Depending on the answers you either level up faster in the beginning, late game or evenly through the whole game.

corn_fest

For your first question: no, completing the game on Proud does not unlock the two lower difficulties' trophies, at least not in the JPN version of the HD ReMIX.

Wow. Alright, uh... that's enough of an excuse to not even try for the platinum for me.
I have nowhere near that kind of time.

Seda

Apparently there is no stacking of the difficulty trophies. Beating the game on Proud will not give you the Normal or Beginner trophies.

As for the level up rate, I believe this is the case, somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

At first, many thought that the three outcomes were, depending on your answers:

A=Level up quickly (less exp needed)
B=Level up normally
C=Level up slowly (more exp needed)

But the outcomes are actually

A = Level up fast early, slow later.
B = Normal leveling up.
C = Level up slow early, fast later.

(as in, the total amount of EXP to get to max level is the same)

different sources/guides say different things but I believe it's the second set of outcomes I mentioned.

Apparently there is no stacking of the difficulty trophies. Beating the game on Proud will not give you the Normal or Beginner trophies.

As for the level up rate, I believe this is the case, somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

At first, many thought that the three outcomes were:

B=Level up normally

B = Normal leveling up.

different sources/guides say different things but I believe it's the second set of outcomes I mentioned.
It obviously is the second outcome.

I am not entirely sure if the EXP req for 100 is exactly the same. I have read somewhere that C has the least since the EXP gain goes considerably up in the late game and that would make the early levels REAL slow to gain if it was even.

Voror

So it seems Staff is the best choice then if I wanted to do Proud? What would be of the most benefit to give up then?

It's been so long, I barely remember what the choices meant. I think I picked sword and gave up shield though back then.

At first, many thought that the three outcomes were:

B=Level up normally

B = Normal leveling up.

Actually, the total amount of EXP to get to Lv100 is smallest when you pick the one that has you level up slowly in the early game and quickly in the late game. It takes the most amount of EXP to reach Lv100 if you choose to have fast leveling in the early game.

Otherwise, even with faster late-game leveling, if you think about it, it'd never actually be a sensible choice to choose the one that has you level slowly early on. It's basically a reward for front-loading your difficulty.

That's actually a legitimate choice, though. KH1 already kinda front-loads the difficulty; Guard, Dodge Roll, Cure, Aero, Tinkerbell (and, in Final Mix, Leaf Bracer) are each upgrades you get that make the game feel noticeably easier each time. KH is absolutely at its toughest early on, for the most part (especially pre-Cure and pre-Warp Gummi).

Seda

I've replayed the game several times and I usually pick Proud+the slower initial leveling rate and indeed, some of the early game bosses are quite tough before you get Cure (especially that Stealth Sneak boss which rewards you with it)

Seigyoku

I see people can't wait for Re:CoM HD

lol

I love CoM. I played it to death. First non-arcade game I ever beat completely on my own, and first game I completed. Heck, my brother (whose game I borrowed) has never completed it. I wanted to make a deck that let me hit really hard and reload super fast, and that is what it did. And then when I played R/R, I figured out how to make my closed decks hit hard and run when I couldn't. ^^

Re:CoM took everything I loved about CoM, made it shinier and got rid of what I hated most about it. (That would be 2D mobs that you can only hit from behind who would just FLIP around.) Playing it made me finally learn how to use sleights well. I know I'm in the minority, but I love that battle system. So yeah, bring on the HD.

(Also note that while I will always associate 358 with the cramping of my hands into a painful claw shape because those controls were not meant to be played on a DS, I don't think any ending has ever hit me as hard as that one. Despite it being the exact final line I predicted when the game was announced.)

I've replayed the game several times and I usually pick Proud+the slower initial leveling rate and indeed, some of the early game bosses are quite tough before you get Cure (especially that Stealth Sneak boss which rewards you with it)

Yeah, exactly. Every time you get one of the upgrades I just mentioned, the game feels like you just got *significantly* better at handling enemy attacks.

I just checked, btw, on the experience it takes to get to Lv. 100:

"Dusk" - slow leveling at first, fast leveling late-game: 878291
"Midday" - generally even leveling all throughout: 949815
"Dawn" - starting off with fast leveling and slowing down later: 984856

So it seems Staff is the best choice then if I wanted to do Proud? What would be of the most benefit to give up then?

It's been so long, I barely remember what the choices meant. I think I picked sword and gave up shield though back then.

Depends what you mean by best choise. Or what you want. Shield makes the main Proud run easiest since it gains the two best abilities in the game the fastest (second chance and leaf veil). But IMO Staff gives the coolest abilities + extra MP that I love to have. Sword gives cool abilities too. Shield basically is the least ''flashiest'' of the trio.

Giving up sword makes your overall STR gain from levels lower. AP for staff and DEF for shield.

I think the totals might not be the same.

EDIT: nvm I had this page without refreshing for like half an hour and was answered before

Top Bottom