• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMIX |OT| Sora is Everyone... in HD

It wouldn't make sense for them to be. It would be impossible to balance since the heartless at the beginning give you just a few EXP and the ones later give you what, 100?

Not only that, but if they all had the same total, technically the one with the "slowest" leveling toward the *end* would reach LV 99 before the others (because of having the biggest gap between 99 and 100).

There would be zero incentive to choose anything but the one that levels you up quickly at the start.

McNum

If I remember right, the first time I played the original, I went +Staff -Sword. Because I like playing mage in games. Second time through was +Shield -Staff which went a lot smoother since I learned how to dodge and block right. I should go with +Staff -Sword again for nostalgia's sake.

Also, I seem to remember going for Deep Jungle as soon as possible on my second game, just to get Cure early. It was kind of a tough fight with Stealth Sneak, but not impossible. Is this a good idea in Final Mix?

As for Chain of Memories, I never beat Reverse Rebirth in the original. Couldn't beat the final boss. Which is an annoying place to give up. I hope he's easier to fight in 3D. Re:CoM was never released here, but I'd like to see how it ends.

Roubjon

Oh jeez, all this talking about Goofy's nerfs is making me second guess my choice...

This is a life or death decision here.

Thinking of trying to beat the game on Proud mode this time around.

I remember the last time I tried when I was a lot younger, I got stuck on the Tarzan level :/

The only upside I can think of to picking Sword in Final Mix is the fact that you get Slide Dash (Which is fantastic for closing in on a target) early on. Other than that, it's easily trumped by Staff, which gives you two of the most useful crowd control combo finishers in the game and a pretty damn useful aerial combo ender pretty early on.

Roubjon

They make a compelling case for Staff. It's not that hard a choice to make, is it? I mean, *I'm* convinced and I've been a Sword Bro since 2002.

But swords are way cooler, and I want all those combo pluses and critical bonuses! And as long as I have magic to cast Aero and Cure, I'm all set. At least I think so. I haven't played KH1 in a pretty long time.

You still get those two staff explosion attacks eventually, right?

My very first playthrough of KH1 was a sword playthrough. Tried staff after and never looked back. Got even better once I realized how crazy good Graviga & Stopga are.

But swords are way cooler, and I want all those combo pluses and critical bonuses! And as long as I have magic to cast Aero and Cure, I'm all set. At least I think so. I haven't played KH1 in a pretty long time.

You still get those two staff explosion attacks eventually, right?

Yeah, although Ripple Drive's damage is based on Max MP, and Staff gives you the most MP, so...

Voror

Yeah, exactly. Every time you get one of the upgrades I just mentioned, the game feels like you just got *significantly* better at handling enemy attacks.

I just checked, btw, on the experience it takes to get to Lv. 100:

"Dusk" - slow leveling at first, fast leveling late-game: 878291
"Midday" - generally even leveling all throughout: 949815
"Dawn" - starting off with fast leveling and slowing down later: 984856

Ah, I'd forgotten about this too. May go for Dusk then since it'll mean less of a grind later on even if the early going might be a bit tougher.

Depends what you mean by best choise. Or what you want. Shield makes the main Proud run easiest since it gains the two best abilities in the game the fastest (second chance and leaf veil). But IMO Staff gives the coolest abilities + extra MP that I love to have. Sword gives cool abilities too. Shield basically is the least ''flashiest'' of the trio.

Giving up sword makes your overall STR gain from levels lower. AP for staff and DEF for shield.

It's been a good while, but I actually can't recall ever really using magic back when I played it on the PS2. I always tended to gravitate towards simply using the melee techniques with some healing here and there when needed. But it may be a good opportunity to experiment now.

Might go with Staff/Shield then. Maybe try a Sword run after that.

Bladenic

Thinking of trying to beat the game on Proud mode this time around.

I remember the last time I tried when I was a lot younger, I got stuck on the Tarzan level :/

I remember the first time I played it, I got stuck on both Wonderland and Tarzan. I was so mad I could continue. Not to mention the nightmare that was Cerberus without Cure.

Also, I seem to remember going for Deep Jungle as soon as possible on my second game, just to get Cure early. It was kind of a tough fight with Stealth Sneak, but not impossible. Is this a good idea in Final Mix?
It's a great idea. Fighting Cloud and Cerberus with Cure makes those fights a lot more manageable.

I always go Coliseum first, get Thunder, then do Wonderland, Deep Jungle, and back to Coliseum to do the qualifications/Cloud/Cerby.

I don't know man, I think this looks amazing:

q1aZbB8.jpg

I do love clean IQ though

That is touched up. No way is that an actual screen you would see in the game.

I'm looking forward to playing this again in HD, but I don't think I'll be able to get this preordered, much less day 1.
Which means no artbook for me T_T

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
We need to petition for a patch.
You'd be playing it at least a second time any way because of the sub 15-hour trophy so I don't have a problem with it. Beginner will be my sub 15-hour/no changing equipment/no continues run.

So it's just 720p? I could've sworn I read somewhere that it was rendered at 1440x1080 or something.

I think it is over 720p but it is not native 1080p and is upscaled. Since the OP didn't have much more info he listed it as the ''lowest native res'' I guess.

Honestly I would have taken native 720p if it meant better AA. It seems that is the biggest nitpick of the graphics.

Tagg9

I think it is over 720p but it is not native 1080p and is upscaled. Since the OP didn't have much more info he listed it as the ''lowest native res'' I guess.

Honestly I would have taken native 720p if it meant better AA. It seems that is the biggest nitpick of the graphics.

Agreed, I'd do anything for better AA. Oh well, roll on next gen.

You'd be playing it at least a second time any way because of the sub 15-hour trophy so I don't have a problem with it. Beginner will be my sub 15-hour/no changing equipment/no continues run.

And your 100% run? The way to go seems to be speedrun normal->speedrun proud->100% beginner, beating the final boss in less than 15 hours and without changing equipment or dying.

Maybe the US/EU version have it stacked already.

Rumours say it doesn't. However the trophies stack with japanese release so that is a boon for some I guess.

1 week till EU release hnnnnnngh. The day I open the game case is both far off and very near.

And your 100% run? The way to go seems to be speedrun normal->speedrun proud->100% beginner, beating the final boss in less than 15 hours and without changing equipment or dying.

Best way for fast platinum I guess but I really wouldn't want my normal 100% no rushing playtrough to be on beginner mode.

Tki0oJm.png

Ill take this one! thanksss!

I haven't been this excited for Kingdom hearts since i played them all originally, it has been too long, i need to re buy the 3ds one again

kitzkozan

I pre-ordered the limited version, so the artbook better be worth it. :^) SE artists are among the best in the business so I'm guessing that it will be worth it. Kinda regret not getting Dragon's Crown just because of the glorious artbook, but it's something that most people rarely go back too once they check it out once or twice.

Looking forward to this version which tweaked the final mix which probably make it the best and ultimate version of KH. I think I lost interest fairly quickly back then, since I had some games which I played instead (one of them being World of Warcraft) and I was starting to lose interest in Square-Enix.

Still kind of surreal to see Final Mix released outside of Japan. I remember when everyone used to have to watch shitty low quality quicktime footage of some of the new content before Youtube came around.

Still kind of surreal to see Final Mix released outside of Japan. I remember when everyone used to have to watch shitty low quality quicktime footage of some of the new content before Youtube came around.

I remember watching "Enigmatic man" battle footage that must have been like...144p.

11 years...

I NEVER STOPPED BELIEVING LORD NOMURA SAMA ;-;

ok maybe I did a lil bit

I do remember that FM1 footage was always baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad compared to FM2.

Ponn

Banned
My Nobody is ready. I have next Wed. off, Amazon release date delivery and a bag of Oreo's. Going to go for Proud on first playthrough.

#TeamSword

Sword is the way to go guys. Don't let the staff people tell you otherwise.

There is a reason Goofy has the shield and Donald has the staff!

You are a real badass when you have the sword, you don't depend on no blue bar that would end up being drained, nor do you depend on defense when you have raw offense. Real men fight
Sephiroth
with the Keyblade!

The Lamp

looks like dimensions larger than standard ps3 game (ugly shelf), and i cant tell if this includes a ps3 game case or if its a hybrid "artbook case."

I have waited like since God of War collection on PS3 for the "idea" of this HD Collection, and in 5 days it will be in my hands ;o;
I've been waiting since buying my Japanese copy of KH2FM+ in 2007 for getting Final Mix in HD in English though...

Magnus

It still completely BLOWS MY FUCKING MIND that the assets for any game can just be lost, nevermind a game as magnanimous and important as Kingdom Hearts.

Like, WHAT?

How large could they be? They couldn't devote one fucking hard drive to it? How did it happen?

What a costly, colossal and careless mistake, even if things have turned out alright at present.

Top Bottom