• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMIX |OT| Sora is Everyone... in HD

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
My God, I'm starting to like the KH-GAF community :lol

Is KH convoluted at all?

My God, I'm starting to like the KH-GAF community :lol

Is KH convoluted at all?

HA5Pd.gif

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Oh my... really? :lol

RPGCrazied

The story in KH 1 is understandable, its after RE:COM an II things get crazy. I still don't know what I watched in DDD.

Yoshichan

I thought it was about Sora trying to save (?) Riku and his friends - somehow he gets the keyblade and starts going into various Disney worlds for clues :p

Hey, it was a loooooong time ago ._.

I thought it was about Sora trying to save (?) Riku and his friends - somehow he gets the keyblade and starts going into various Disney worlds for clues :p

Hey, it was a loooooong time ago ._.
That's just the first one. It gets less "simple" with each iteration. It's not as bad as some people make it seem, but it's not unlike MGS's lore if I had to make a comparison.

Yoshichan

That's just the first one. It gets less "simple" with each iteration. It's not as bad as some people make it seem, but it's not unlike MGS's lore if I had to make a comparison.
I can't wait to dig into these now! I love confusing/nonsensical stories! :D

Nomura is making shit up as he goes. I haven't played DDD yet, but it's story is apparently the worst out of them all.

Well depends how you approach ''worst'' since my vote goes to Coded no prob but DDD is certainly the craziest because BIG SPOILZ:
time travel is introduced

Nomura is making shit up as he goes. I haven't played DDD yet, but it's story is apparently the worst out of them all.
It's nowhere near as bad as Coded or even Days. Sure it makes things a bit more complicated, but it gives clarity as to why the Organization was created. That alone makes it better than both of the DS games.

Berordn

Well depends how you approach ''worst'' since my vote goes to Coded no prob but DDD is certainly the craziest because BIG SPOILZ:
time travel is introduced

It's easy enough to handwave, anyway. It's there, but it can't change anything that wasn't going to happen anyway so whatev's!

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Yoshi how the hell are you going to have time for KH 1.5 with Diablo 3 on your plate? I had this game pre-ordered but canceled it once I started digging into D3. Maybe I'll pick it up over Black Friday when it drops to a cheaper price and I've gotten my fill of D3.

Didn't like the
time travel inclusion
at all, though the boss fight was pretty good, if not annoying. At the least the ending was decent for DDD. Minus the secret ending, ugh.

Yoshichan

Yoshi how the hell are you going to have time for KH 1.5 with Diablo 3 on your plate? I had this game pre-ordered but canceled it once I started digging into D3. Maybe I'll pick it up over Black Friday when it drops to a cheaper price and I've gotten my fill of D3.
Prioritize is the best I can do. If I play enough of Diablo for a week, then I can pause it when KH is out and play the shit out of that. Then go back to D3 :D

Famassu

Nomura already has a tentative storyline thought out for games past Kingdom Hearts III. He doesn't really "make shit up as he goes", he has had a timeline in his head about how all of this from Birth By Sleep's original Master Xehanort's plans to the conclusion in KHIII will go, though of course not to the smallest of details, and some stuff has changed, like a certain characters meaningfulness to the overall story due to people liking that character so much. But you can be certain that the craziest shit like Xemnas's true meaning behind the Organization XIII is something that he's "known" for a long time.

Phatcorns

This is an honest question. For those of you who don't like the story, why on earth do you play the games? The story is SO good to me. It is convoluted, sure, but it follows its own logic and is very entertaining. It's also filled with some of the most powerful emotional moments ever put in a game.

This is an honest question. For those of you who don't like the story, why on earth do you play the games? The story is SO good to me. It is convoluted, sure, but it follows its own logic and is very entertaining. It's also filled with some of the most powerful emotional moments ever put in a game.

Umm, because the gameplay is good? I think the story flew downhill faster than an avalanche down a mountain, but I still enjoy the gameplay (and nostalgia factor with this release).

It's very entertaining to be sure but I do have a ton of nitpicks about the series story elements. KH1 tho is pretty much as perfect as videogames go. SUCH a great pacing and shows how a simple story can be told so well even in a game that spans tens of hours.

I think that is one of the biggest strenghts of KH series. The pacing in the games is just so good. When looking at the two main titles the only big stop is the beginning (destiny island fetch quest and twilight town) that could have been done better but once that part is over it is such a smooth sailing till the end and keeps your interest.

Edit: well and KH1 gummi ship before warp gummi.

If you play Kingdom Hearts for the story instead of for the crazy-fun gameplay you are making a big mistake, IMO.

I enjoy the story because I enjoy watching it get more and more absurd. The fact that the story is ridiculous is what's appealing about it. I don't remotely think it's a "good" story anymore, though, but that's fine with me.

Also it totally does not 'follow its own logic.'

Tagg9

Nomura already has a tentative storyline thought out for games past Kingdom Hearts III. He doesn't really "make shit up as he goes", he has had a timeline in his head about how all of this from Birth By Sleep's original Master Xehanort's plans to the conclusion in KHIII will go, though of course not to the smallest of details, and some stuff has changed, like a certain characters meaningfulness to the overall story due to people liking that character so much. But you can be certain that the craziest shit like Xemnas's true meaning behind the Organization XIII is something that he's "known" for a long time.

Yeah, sure he does.

Just like the writers of Lost had everything planned out from the start.

If you (1) actually think that Kingdom Hearts has a *good* story and (2) play the games for the story and disregard the quality of the gameplay, the odds are good that you have wildly incorrect opinions such as thinking that 358/2 Days is one of the best games in the series.

If you (1) actually think that Kingdom Hearts has a *good* story and (2) play the games for the story and disregard the quality of the gameplay, the odds are good that you have wildly incorrect opinions such as thinking that 358/2 Days is one of the best games in the series.

They are coming.

Trigger

You are a bad person.
pleezPJ.gif

Days was good.

I think (1) not so much (2) I recognize that the gameplay is good. Days is horrid for one reason, and her name begins with an X.

I can't speak for other folks but the reason I'm so critical of certain story elements IS because I like the games so much.

McNum

I wouldn't say the big story is good, but it most definitely is entertaining. I do play Kingdom Hearts for the story... and beating up Disney villains with a giant key. Because it's one of the few video game stories that is nearly impossible to predict.

Peff

Hey maybe some people have a sea-salt-ice-cream-licking fetish. We don't judge!

Oh god, I thought Days had the best gameplay in the series for what it was (a portable game), but didn't really care for the story that much.

I'm a minority, aren't I?

Kingdom Hearts 1 is still my favourite though- it's one of those games that I can find flaws in, but it just does everything right.

As much as I love the Kingdom Hearts series, 358/2 days was the one game I could never finish. I'm not sure if it was because I played it on the DS, but it just didn't click. I was hoping it would be playable for the HD remake, but I'm totally fine with watching the cutscenes. The story was one of my favorites in the series, too. Xion... that poor thing.

Oh god, I thought Days had the best gameplay in the series for what it was (a portable game), but didn't really care for the story that much.

I'm a minority, aren't I?

Kingdom Hearts 1 is still my favourite though- it's one of those games that I can find flaws in, but it just does everything right.

Weird. I'd say that all of the other portable games (except for the original Chain of Memories) have better gameplay than 358/2 Days.
I miss him. Epcar does a fine job, but he's still not Billy Zane.
I do think, though, that bringing Leonard Nimoy in to voice
Master Xehanort
was fantastic (as well as Christopher Lee to voice
Ansem the Wise
). Some of the celebrity voice castings in the KH series have been fantastic.

Benjamin Diskin as
Young Xehanort
is kinda underwhelming as far as having an imposing voice is concerned.

EDIT: added spoiler tags for KH2, BBS, and DDD spoilers - sorry guys, forgot which thread I'm in and that some folks, like Yoshichan, will be new to the series.

Holmes

... My boyfriend loves Days. :l

FSLink

Banned
Hey maybe some people have a sea-salt-ice-cream-licking fetish. We don't judge!
Well I definitely judge. At least for that. And I enjoyed CoM GBA so I find Days the worst one gameplay wise. ReCoded would have been amazing without the recycled worlds and if it had a good story instead of an almost lack of one.

Top Bottom