• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance |OT| Sora is Everyone in Every Dimension

KH1 is still my favorite.

Eh, it's better than KH2 and DDD even though its camera controls suck (and we can all basically forget that RE:Coded and 358/2 Days exist), but BBS and RE:CoM likely have it beat. As does KH2:FM+.

KH1 has aged badly, but is still a ton of fun and its boss battles against human-sized opponents are still fantastic. Duckroll will disagree with me, but I still feel like KH1 has my favorite boss battles in the series. Basically once you get to Hollow Bastion, every single boss battle for the rest of the game is intense and fantastic.

Seda

Eh, it's better than KH2 and DDD even though its camera controls suck (and we can all basically forget that RE:Coded and 358/2 Days exist), but BBS and RE:CoM likely have it beat. As does KH2:FM+.

KH1 has aged badly, but is still a ton of fun and its boss battles against human-sized opponents are still fantastic. Duckroll will disagree with me, but I still feel like KH1 has my favorite boss battles in the series. Basically once you get to Hollow Bastion, every single boss battle for the rest of the game is intense and fantastic.

I haven't played any of the final mixes, so I can't comment on that, but as a whole, KH1 is still the one I enjoy most. Birth by Sleep (and re:Coded) was better in terms of options for combat, but I enjoyed a lot other things about KH1 more.

And yes, I've played it in the last year.

I haven't played any of the final mixes, so I can't comment on that, but as a whole, KH1 is still the one I enjoy most. Birth by Sleep (and re:Coded) was better in terms of options for combat, but I enjoyed a lot other things about KH1 more.

And yes, I've played it in the last year.

KH1 was certainly great about making backtracking rewarding. No, I don't want to see the 'Trinity' system ever come back, though. But every addition to your traversal abilities opened up all sorts of stuff in the older worlds, and I really liked that. That, and the heavily evasion-based combat was excellent and much better than KH2's much more heavily blocking-based combat. Dodging is just about always more fun than blocking and countering.

Skilletor

I'm saying i used to factor, as in 7 years ago, storyline but approached this game differently. I simply wanted to revisit some of my fav disney chaacters in vid format.

I'm not saying any of you are wrong; we're just playing these games for different reasons.

No, i havent played bbs.

Nothing about combat really got to me but perhaps my low expectations are a factor there

Well, Hunchback of Notre Dame is probably my favorite Disney movie and they totally butchered it in this game. It made me sad. Didn't even have Hellfire. wtf.

But yes, that is part of the reason why I play these games.

brb going to watch Hunchback.

So is this game... good?

Bro bought this but is back to playing KI again so I hopefully can borrow it (it does have more than 1 save slot right?).

The demo was ok... they did seem to forget to make the camera understand the flow stuff, but everything else seem... like kh?

Seda

I'm saying i used to factor, as in 7 years ago, storyline but approached this game differently. I simply wanted to revisit some of my fav disney chaacters in vid format.

I'm not saying any of you are wrong; we're just playing these games for different reasons.

No, i havent played bbs.

Nothing about combat really got to me but perhaps my low expectations are a factor there

No problems at all man. And you're not alone. I know several other people who say DDD is their favorite game in the series (usually because of flowmotion, go figure), and that's cool. I'm usually pretty terrible articulating why I like something and why I don't. Sometimes a game just clicks for me and sometimes I just can't forge an interest.

To note, I have yet to play DDD.

Optional bosses notwithstanding, I'd feel comfortable saying Possessed Riku in KH1 is the best boss in the entire series.

I agree.

So is this game... good?

Opinions vary quite a bit, but general consensus seems to be that its shy of BBS quality but easily better than something like Days. Just what I've noticed.

duckroll

Optional bosses notwithstanding, I'd feel comfortable saying Possessed Riku in KH1 is the best boss in the entire series.

Probably true. I haven't replayed KH in forever, but I remember that being a REALLY good fight. Aside from that, I would say the Vanitas fights are also top-tier, along with Terra's final boss.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So is this game... good?

It's OK, if I'd rank BbS, KH1, KH2, and 3D all together, this will be the bottom most (since I didn't play re:coded, CoM, and 358/2 days but I'm expecting 3D will be above these 3 definitely).

There are some gameplay decisions that you'll hate such as the drop system and you'll probably find the pokemon part pretty useless but the worlds are OK. I enjoyed Symphony of Sorcery due to the classic songs being used rather than the Shimomura(?) songs and the Tron world looks pretty neat. I'm a sucker for the Musketeers world (due to the lively music) and the Hunchback of Notre Dame world.

The second fight with him, where he uses Dark Aura, yeah, for sure. It does a great job at making you feel like this fragile little guy, whereas most of the series has been about power fantasy at the expense of a feeling of vulnerability.

As for optional bosses, Kurt Zisa might still be my favorite, if only because he's brutally hard on tougher difficulties when you have to pretty much perfectly dodge his series of spinning attacks.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I watched Pinocchio today and...uh...it's called Pleasure Island, not Prankster's Paradise. Weird. Why the change?

The game's Prankster's Paradise really doesn't live up to the way it's depicted in the film, either. It's just a normal theme park here, where in the movie it's filled with all these really odd stuff like a breakable house, and a smoking joint. :(

Prankster's Paradise, Sora's side, was still my favorite level though. Love the battle music.

Well, Hunchback of Notre Dame is probably my favorite Disney movie and they totally butchered it in this game. It made me sad. Didn't even have Hellfire. wtf.
The saving grace of that World is literally the awesome Boss music that Wargoyle has. Man, I so hope they bring that back.

^Wings of Liberty. It plays a few more times. I'd put it higher than The Encounter. It was a pretty perfect fit for the boss specially on Riku's side.

Didn't know this game was so unfun and infuriating till I came into this thread. I appreciate when people express their thoughts but to call something broken when it's your expectations that actually are, is wrong.

Flowmotion for myself is great fun, feels satisfying to me and keeps my interest visually. Much improved from the boring, rote combat of previous installments. Flowmotion makes it fun for me to explore the environments looking for chests in between fights and story progression.
The leveling up of your spirits can be tepid but I don't feel so far that I have to spend time doing it when I don't want to, other times I like to pick up the game, relax, and poke my spirits a little ;) the rage hasn't caught up to me I suppose.

Fun game and looks great on the XL :)

Terra's final boss is the only KH boss to make me rage.

Guard and Counter Hammer all day. And, unlike Aqua's version of the fight, Terra's counters actually do really good damage.
badcrumble said:
That, and the heavily evasion-based combat was excellent and much better than KH2's much more heavily blocking-based combat. Dodging is just about always more fun than blocking and countering.
But KH1's blocking was even better than KH2's. For one, it's much more consistent about parrying, and reflecting projectiles(in KH2 it's not very clear what attacks are parry-able and what are just blockable, or what projectiles will be reflected and what will just dissipate). Plus the bonus XP was nice incentive to get at leaqst decent at it.

Skilletor

Didn't know this game was so unfun and infuriating till I came into this thread. I appreciate when people express their thoughts but to call something broken when it's your expectations that actually are, is wrong.

Flowmotion for myself is great fun, feels satisfying to me and keeps my interest visually. Much improved from the boring, rote combat of previous installments. Flowmotion makes it fun for me to explore the environments looking for chests in between fights and story progression.
The leveling up of your spirits can be tepid but I don't feel so far that I have to spend time doing it when I don't want to, other times I like to pick up the game, relax, and poke my spirits a little ;) the rage hasn't caught up to me I suppose.

Fun game and looks great on the XL :)

Broken things can be fun. It might make it fun (for you) to look for treasure chests, but it breaks any semblance of level design. Previous Kingdom Hearts had things hidden as incentive to come back to worlds and explore them more fully when you had more abilities. This game you just infinitely jump off of a wall until you reach whatever you want.

I don't see what flowmotion adds to combat. It does nothing an airdash couldn't have done in previous kingdom hearts. Since, in combat, that's pretty much all it is.

Flowmotion seemed cool at first, but for me it's nothing more than a what a P-Wing would be for a Mario game.

Why do so many people think a negative opinion = rage?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
If you ever call my expectations broken again I'll break your... Stylus.

The game has some glaring issues, is all that needs to be said. Whether they can be tolerated or not is up to the player.

duckroll

Guard and Counter Hammer all day. And, unlike Aqua's version of the fight, Terra's counters actually do really good damage.

Yes but Aqua never has to dodge the rapid fire meteors! That was definitely the toughest part of the fight for me. Crazy timing involved.

Velcro Fly

The only time flowmotion is a problem for me is when you are on those grind rail sort of things that are in the middle of wherever you are standing and you just keep automatically moving on them instead of being able to engage the enemies you are fighting. Other than that I don't really mind it.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Uh, I need help in clearing something out regarding abilities. So far I've been under the impression that as soon as unlock buffs through a spirit grid I'll inherit the ability even if I swap the spirit out, a la BbS command mastery. However as soon as I started experimenting with spirits, sometimes I'd notice changes. The "available" slots remain the same, but I'm uncertain about the "unlocked." So what's the delio? Which system is the game following?

Peff

Uh, I need help in clearing something out regarding abilities. So far I've been under the impression that as soon as unlock buffs through a spirit grid I'll inherit the ability even if I swap the spirit out, a la BbS command mastery. However as soon as I started experimenting with spirits, sometimes I'd notice changes. The "available" slots remain the same, but I'm uncertain about the "unlocked." So what's the delio? Which system is the game following?

Red and purple abilities are permanent. Blue aren't, you need to have that DE on the active party (but not one of the two in-game, just part of the three).

prwxv3

I would not mind a partner system if they make your partners more customizable. Giving them customizable command decks would be a good start.

BowieZ

Banned
Just got this for $20. It's my first Kingdom Hearts game. Apparently it involves Disney characters and two weird looking kids?

Anyway, I am confused as fuck right now but somehow managed to navigate myself to a save point in Traverse (Traviz) Town. So I saved and quit, will sleep on it and over the weekend I guess I'll try and come to terms with what the hell I'm supposed to be doing lol.

Cheska

Just got this for $20. It's my first Kingdom Hearts game. Apparently it involves Disney characters and two weird looking kids?

Anyway, I am confused as fuck right now but somehow managed to navigate myself to a save point in Traverse (Traviz) Town. So I saved and quit, will sleep on it and over the weekend I guess I'll try and come to terms with what the hell I'm supposed to be doing lol.

How did you get it for that cheap? Also, while the gameplay may end up making sense as you start to navigate around Traverse Town I would at least look up some information regarding the series. Not that it isn't a mess to begin with, but you'll be very confused with the game as you progress forward if you know nothing about the characters or the back story of the world.

RPGCrazied

Is this game really suppose to have low volume? Even with headphones it seems pretty quite. Everything I've played has louder volume. Hmm.

Yes its set to stereo.

Don't pay too much attention to the plot. I play it for the fanservice!

Permanently A

Here, read this.

Decent summary of all KH games except for 3D.

also

Banned
Is this game really suppose to have low volume? Even with headphones it seems pretty quite. Everything I've played has louder volume. Hmm.

Yes its set to stereo.
I thought the game was loud enough, never had the volume set to max. Maybe there's something wrong with your speakers/headphones?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Liking the 3D effect in this one. Easier for me to gauge distance between me and the enemy.

Drop system sucks though. >_>

Ragus

Banned
Ok, I'm with my 35 lvl Riku at
Young Xehanort. I had problems with his 1st phase, but after a few tries, I managed to defeat him. Now, for that part with a clock - I was literally demolished by Xehanorth in like 5 seconds, and I didn't even know what to do. Should I attack him? Or the clock? Any useful hints how to kill that SOAB for a newbie to KH series would be great

Ok, I'm with my 35 lvl Riku at
Young Xehanort. I had problems with his 1st phase, but after a few tries, I managed to defeat him. Now, for that part with a clock - I was literally demolished by Xehanorth in like 5 seconds, and I didn't even know what to do. Should I attack him? Or the clock? Any useful hints how to kill that SOAB for a newbie to KH series would be great

I don't even think Xehanort can be attacked at that point. You should dodge his attacks and attack the clock once he stops attacking and leaves an opening.

Chatin

On the Final Boss:
The point where you go into some BBS-esque mode for a final shoot out between Dark Ventus and Riku... it didn't really seem clear what we were to do at that point, other than spam attack and hope you had more health. Seemed really out of place compared to the rest of the game. BBS-ish, for sure.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Liking the 3D effect in this one. Easier for me to gauge distance between me and the enemy.
I actually think it has one of the more subtle 3D utilizations, so subtle I don't feel it's worth usual 3D trade-offs. It's my first game on my new XL though, so maybe I'm not used too used to the 3D on it.

BowieZ

Banned
How did you get it for that cheap?
It was an EBGames (AU) trade-in deal. Trade in your original 3DS and pay $129 to get the XL, or $149 to get the XL + a game of your choice between: NSMB2, SM3DL, MK7, RE:R, Heroes of Ruin, and this.

So in other words, compared to other countries, it wasn't much of a good "deal" but I can't complain. It's like I bought the game for full price (which I was marginally considering getting anyway) and only paid $90 for the HW upgrade.

branny

The drop system was just a bizarre design choice all around. I'm not sure why they felt the need to include that.
Its purpose was supposedly to help make Sora and Riku feel connected even though they were apart. I admire the idea, but the way it got implemented is a pointless nuisance.

Am I the only one who REALLY liked The Grid? I really dig the Tron graphical style (I love how it even affects your Keyblade!) and it has one of my favourite tracks in the series with Rinzler Recompiled.

Also, I know I'm part of a minority here, but my award for best fight in the series goes to the Mysterious Figure from Birth By Sleep. Dark Impetus is one of my favourite pieces of video game music ever, and the fight felt truly epic and challenging.

Seda

Am I the only one who REALLY liked The Grid? I really dig the Tron graphical style (I love how it even affects your Keyblade!) and it has one of my favourite tracks in the series with Rinzler Recompiled.

I know I'm part of a minority here, but my award for best fight in the series goes to the Mysterious Figure from Birth By Sleep, by the way. Dark Impetus is one of my favourite pieces of video game music ever, and the fight felt truly epic and challenging.

How could you hear the music when most of the fight all you hear is WEEWOOWEEWOO

duckroll

Also, I know I'm part of a minority here, but my award for best fight in the series goes to the Mysterious Figure from Birth By Sleep. Dark Impetus is one of my favourite pieces of video game music ever, and the fight felt truly epic and challenging.

I really enjoyed The Grid too. I found the Reality Shift in that world pretty fun, and it was nice to have frequent battles with enemies which were NOT Dream Eaters. :)

How could you hear the music when most of the fight all you hear is WEEWOOWEEWOO

Because I'm a pro and could still hear the music over my continous HAH YAH HUAH HAH YAH HAH HUAH YAH HAH YAH HUAH HAH

I really enjoyed The Grid too. I found the Reality Shift in that world pretty fun, and it was nice to have frequent battles with enemies which were NOT Dream Eaters. :)

I also like how it covers just about all of Tron Legacy, unlike many other worlds which go over maybe a third of the plot; or sometimes less (*grumble grumble* Prankster's Paradise).

All in all, even despite my glowing review, I'd only place this about third or fourth on my list of KH games. While writing my review, I thought I liked it more than BbS, but I went back and played the latter all the way through again last week and enjoyed it way more than I remember.

Top Bottom