• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance |OT| Sora is Everyone in Every Dimension

Famassu

So have they explained why Ven and Sora look a like? I mean, the org members kept mentioning Sora and Roxas' similarities in KH2 (not that I believe Nomura even thinks about the plot ahead of the current game). I'm just wondering what the retcon is on that.
Nomura definitely plans ahead. When he was making the first game, he had plans for II & Chain of Memories. When he was making CoM & II, he already had plans for BBS, Days & Coded. And I do believe he has had the whole Xehanort Saga figured out for quite some time, at least the basic structure/ideas of it. Just like how GRRM knows how ASOIAF will end, but he doesn't have the road there figured out in detail.

Of course, there are some things it seems he didn't really plan to do. For example, the grown importance of Lea. That just sort of happened, as he noticed he was an important character in the whole Roxas/Ven/Sora ordeal, so he ended up having a much more important role than what Nomura had in mind when he first introduced the character.

Mr. Fix

Nomura definitely plans ahead. When he was making the first game, he had plans for II & Chain of Memories. When he was making CoM & II, he already had plans for BBS, Days & Coded. And I do believe he has had the whole Xehanort Saga figured out for quite some time, at least the basic structure/ideas of it. Just like how GRRM knows how ASOIAF will end, but he doesn't have the road there figured out in detail.

Of course, there are some things it seems he didn't really plan to do. For example, the grown importance of Lea. That just sort of happened, as he noticed he was an important character in the whole Roxas/Ven/Sora ordeal, so he ended up having a much more important role than what Nomura had in mind when he first introduced the character.

The general outline of MX's story I doubt came into fruition until the end of KH2. The
time travel
is arguably the biggest retcon/offense here. I seriously doubt that was the intended plan all these years. Also Axel's significance now is clearly fanservice. Which is why I wouldn't be surprised if Xion had a role in 3.

Basically the story shouldn't be held as some masterpiece nor should Nomura be held as a genius.

Forgive my rant. I loved KH1, most of 2, and even BBS; but what transpires in this game just crosses the line.

also

Banned
I'll take this. Thanks! I'd replay it, but that opening sequence.

I just rewatched some cutscenes and the only one who mentions any resemblance is
Xigbar: ''That's right! You used to give me that same exact look.'' But that's kind of an iconic line for him, so I wouldn't look too much into it. He basically mentions the angry expression of his opponent in every game he appears.

The general outline of MX's story I doubt came into fruition until the end of KH2. The
time travel
is arguably the biggest retcon/offense here. I seriously doubt that was the intended plan all these years. Also Axel's significance now is clearly fanservice. Which is why I wouldn't be surprised if Xion had a role in 3.

Basically the story shouldn't be held as some masterpiece nor should Nomura be held as a genius.

Forgive my rant. I loved KH1, most of 2, and even BBS; but what transpires in this game just crosses the line.

Time travel isn't really a retcon. It had a minor presence in KH2 since the heart of a world from the past was connected to the present. Moreover, if it's because of the heart that keyblade wielders are able to travel vast interstellar, cross-dimensional space, it doesn't seem that much of an offense that it could travel across time as well.

also

Banned
Time travel isn't really a retcon. It had a minor presence in KH2 since the heart of a world from the past was connected to the present. Moreover, if it's because of the heart that keyblade wielders are able to travel vast interstellar, cross-dimensional space, it doesn't seem that much of an offense that it could travel across time as well.

I don't think many have a problem with time travelling per se. It has more to do with the ridiculousness of time travelling to gather 13 copies of yourself through time.

Mr. Fix

Actually, I was referring to
how it's now made to seem like Ansem in KH1, and Xemnas in KH2 were supposed to fail, and how they had another agenda all along. It wasn't supposed to be this complicated in KH1 or 2.

By definition:
Retroactive continuity (retcon for short) is the alteration of previously established facts in a fictional work. And that's what the
time travel
shindig in this game did.

I just rewatched some cutscenes and the only one who mentions any resemblance is
Xigbar: ''That's right! You used to give me that same exact look.'' But that's kind of an iconic line for him, so I wouldn't look too much into it. He basically mentions the angry expression of his opponent in every game he appears.

I actually liked this bit. It alluded to the Ven-Braig bit nicely.

Xemnas:''I've been to see him. He looks a lot like you.''

Famassu

time travel
I'm not sure if it's pure retcon or if it was just a convenient way of producing the end results Nomura had planned. From the early days onward it was hinted that the Organization XIII had some hidden purpose that only Xemnas and one or two other Org members knew. The part where the guy in the brown robe opens the door in Sora's home island is a pretty important event for the whole saga, so giving it even more importance isn't that far-fetched.

And I don't see what's the big problem with TT, given how much limitations & rules there are and how epic of a showdown it will lead into. It's not like we're suddenly going to have Sora be the father of Sora or anything like that.
the "time travel" only works if the person has existed in that place & time, so Xehanort can't jump into any place or time where he wasn't present. In addition to that, you have to abandon your body to do it and not everyone can do that (Xehanort is a master manipulator of time). The special nature of TWTNW is also somehow tied to why it is even possible that the 12 forms/possessed persons can be in the present time at the same time.
It's not super-good storytelling, but I also don't see how this somehow pushes things over the edge. I mean, we are talking about a game universe where you can put people inside computers and write code into people's Hearts, and where people are connected through hearts and how one character can manipulate connections related to a certain character. It's a world with crazy-ass magic & fantasy, but everything still kind of works within Kingdom Hearts universe's set of rules.

More Axel kind of started as fanservice since he was so popular, but at the same time, as I said, Nomura said he noticed that he had actually become an integral part of the storyline involving Sora, Roxas & Ven, so that's why his importance in the storyline has also grown. Things like that happen. I might continue using GRRM as an example, but he's giving a certain character a bit bigger part in the books after really liking her portrayal by her actress in the tv series.

Well, I said nothing about the QUALITY of his plotting, just that he has had stuff figured out for a long time. I mean, Organization XIII was searching for the room of sleep in Chain of Memories already (Ven is there) and a couple of the Org XIII members have had yellow eyes from the very first time we see them for a reason (they've been
possessed by Xehanort
. They did still develop II so that it ended in a way that didn't necessarily need continuing since he still couldn't be sure if he could continue the series after II. But now that he has pretty much had free hands to do whatever he likes, he has clearly been building on the hints that he's been giving after the first game.

Actually, I was referring to
how it's now made to seem like Ansem in KH1, and Xemnas in KH2 were supposed to fail, and how they had another agenda all along. It wasn't supposed to be this complicated in KH1 or 2.

They weren't supposed to fail. Ansem was supposed to succeed in getting the seven pure hearts of light and xemnas was supposed to make the organization xiii to have their hearts replaced by xehanort. When the seven princesses of light were to meet with the 13 xehanorts, it would forge a X-Blade.

However, that didn't work out and contingency plans moved forward. A new org xiii was formed, and there's now enough players to have seven keyblades of light wielders.

Lea even says that he will catch up to Riku in no time and no one objects. Then he draws his keyblade and everyone goes O_O. I think it's really obvious that Lea will be one of the lights, but if you want to be technical, they never really say it. Still, if you think that Lea is not confirmed, then neither is Kairi, afterall Yen Sid only says that he learned she can wield a keyblade and not that she will/may become a light.
Xenahort didn't really want Sora, he wanted Riku, but he had to change his plans. The result would still be the same though, one good keyblader less. He simply believes that the forging of the keyblade is something that can not be avoided: ''Ah, but destiny is never left to chance.'' ''But worry not. All the pieces are destined to appear.'' And even if by some chande there weren't enough good keybladers, he can still go after the princesses of light.

What about the seekers of darkness? Xenahort, Young Xenahort, Xenmas, Ansem, Isa, Braig and Terranort are confirmed. Then there's probably Vanitas, so that leaves 5 more people. Any ideas

Vanitas is pretty much a certainty given his yellow eyes, yeah. Also, don't forget about the other Organization members; a bunch of them are out of the question since their Somebodies have shown up, but several are still unaccounted for (including major-villain Marluxia and fan-favorite Larxene).

Also, don't forget that one scene in DDD where what seemed to be Dark Riku appeared and then walked into one of the portals. Possessed Riku is almost certainly one of the 13 darknesses as well.

You've got the seven you mentioned, plus Vanitas and Dark Riku, and that leaves only three totally unknown spots. My guess is that those will be filled by other Organization members, or their Somebodies, pulled from the unaccounted-for ones: Marluxia, Larxene, Demyx, Luxord. Heck, if you decide that either Vanitas or Possessed Riku ain't happening, stick those four in there and you've got your whole restored Organization right there.

Vanitas is pretty much a certainty given his yellow eyes, yeah. Also, don't forget about the other Organization members; a bunch of them are out of the question since their Somebodies have shown up, but several are still unaccounted for (including major-villain Marluxia and fan-favorite Larxene).

Also, don't forget that one scene in DDD where what seemed to be Dark Riku appeared and then walked into one of the portals. Possessed Riku is almost certainly one of the 13 darknesses as well.

I think you can actually cut out larxene and marluxia due to their lack of loyalty. One of the requirements was loyalty to the organization cause. Also, they were created later and were recompleted earlier not giving them long enough to have xehanorts heart foisted into them.

You've got the seven you mentioned, plus Vanitas and Dark Riku, and that leaves only three totally unknown spots. My guess is that those will be filled by other Organization members, or their Somebodies, pulled from the unaccounted-for ones: Marluxia, Larxene, Demyx, Luxord. Heck, if you decide that either Vanitas or Possessed Riku ain't happening, stick those four in there and you've got your whole restored Organization right there.

What about Anti-Sora? They lost the real deal as their Keyblade-wielder, but they can still recruit his Heartless, can't they? My prediction for the final OrgaXehtion XIII is as follows:

1. Master Xehanort
2. Xemnas
3. Ansem SoD
4. Young Xehanort
5. Terranort
6. Braig
7. Isa
8. Vanitas
9. Dark Riku
10. Anti-Sora
11. Even (was in Xemnas' pocket throughout CoM; laugh is way too creepy to be benevolent)
12. No Heart
13. Scientist Xehanort? I got nothing.

also

Banned
Since this thread got kind of revived, could someone please check the credits and see if they can spot any weird green blobs?

I have a question regarding the video quality of the credits, specifically when there's a black background. Does anyone else see some kind of ghosting? When names disappear they leave a dark green pixelated mess behind and you can also see lines and spots all over the screen. Are these compression artefacts or is it my screen? I'm playing a 3DS XL, full brightness, power saving off and I can see it with both 3D on or off.

This game was handled so poorly and I feel like I can't put it into words without sounded like an ass.

The more I think about the game the more I have to agree. It definately feels rushed compared to other main titles. This is the first main KH game that I just don't think I'll be replaying for a long time, even when I'm a fan of critical mode.

Final Mix could help this game a lot if handled correctly.

also

Banned
Here are the pictures:
Bottom screen:
ibc6o7i0tLzY4V.jpg

iRtxwHbFAgeQZ.jpg
Top screen:
Planning director: maps
You Miyazaki
Once again, red 3DS XL, full brightness, power saving off, PAL.
I watched Days's credits, which are similar (scrolling text on a dark background), but didn't see any green stuff. I also never noticed anything like this in any other part of the game and the blobs and lines are always in the same spots, so hopefully this has something to do with the credits and not the screens. Any comments are appreciated.

Too bad it will only be for fans with a Japanese 3DS.

Hit a lull with this. Just finished the Fantasia world, which I've got to say, is one of the best KH worlds I've ever played. The music, design, and art style is just perfect for the film. A few things annoy me like lack of the centaurs and that drunk Greek guy, but the isolation coupled with the music explicitly made me feel like I was in the world of the film.

But I have to say, Symphony of Sorcery is probably the only level I've really enjoyed. Hunchback was very disappointing, with Frollo being totally gimped. The worst thing in Kingdom Hearts is their butchering of the source content at times. You have a flashback scene with Frollo speaking the words of the song "Stay in Here". It's awkward and hammy (and this is Disney writing we're talking about, shouldn't be too difficult to emulate). In these flashback scenes, I felt like they should have just had clips from the actual film. The game's art style tries really hard to stick to that of the film anyway, so it wouldn't be out of place. Just anything but "You must always... stay in here. Away... in here."

So yeah, I've just hit the world based off the direct-to-DVD Mickey Musketeers film... really? There's like, 50 odd Disney classics, and you go for that? Obviously it's a big step down after Fantasia, and I know it's the last Disney world, of which there have only been like 5, so yeah I have zero motivation to see it through.

The more I think about the game the more I have to agree. It definately feels rushed compared to other main titles. This is the first main KH game that I just don't think I'll be replaying for a long time, even when I'm a fan of critical mode.

Like 358/2 Days, this game isn't getting a Final Mix.

RPGCrazied

Got to Prankster world today, pretty cool area... I have yet to really play flick rush, do you get any keyblades there? Is it worth doing? And I really haven't changed my spirits. Still using the ones you are given. Lol. Can you beat the game with those? The dog looking one.

Got to Prankster world today, pretty cool area... I have yet to really play flick rush, do you get any keyblades there? Is it worth doing? And I really haven't changed my spirits. Still using the ones you are given. Lol. Can you beat the game with those? The dog looking one.

You get the Sweet Memories Keyblade for completing every cup in Flick Rush, but it's outclassed by every post-game Keyblade and the Dive Wing. The only reason I'd do Flick Rush if I were you would be to get the game-breaking Balloonga, Dark Roll, Dark Barrier and Firaga Burst abilities.

You can beat the game with the Komory Bat and the Meow-Wow if you want, but beware that the final bosses are much tougher unless you're accompanied by two strong Spirits.

also

Banned

Flick Rush is reall fun, so don't skip it. TIP:
Power up your commands by defending.
By playing FL you can obtain a trophy, a keyblade, commands and medals you can spend in the medal shop.
Depending on how good you are, you could beat the game without any spirits at all but I suggest you to create some star ranked spirits, as they have much better stats. Don't forget to use a dream candy (medal shop) to boost their affinity when creating them. The higher the affinity, the more useful they are in combat.

Nomura said so himself.

He also said that they had no plans for BBS FM so I'm taking it with a grain of salt. I really can't say if they will do it but I sure wont be surprised if they do. The lukewarm reception and sales might make this the first exeption to the rule I agree.

Mario007

He also said that they had no plans for BBS FM so I'm taking it with a grain of salt. I really can't say if they will do it but I sure wont be surprised if they do.

I hope they won't. This game doesn't deserve it. Move onto something more worthwhile. If they had to do something that they had no plans on doing, please let it be BBS2.

I hope they won't. This game doesn't deserve it. Move onto something more worthwhile. If they had to do something that they had no plans on doing, please let it be BBS2.

As long as they fire whoever selected most the worlds for this game, they can do what they like. KH-HD would be much appreciated though.

I know, but with 40+ Disney Classics left unexplored, not to mention the Pixars, there was no excuse for Tron 2 and Mickey Musketeers in this game.

I imagine many of the classics would be hard to translate into decent normal worlds. Just on top of my head the classics really have maybe something like <10 new worlds to use that make sense. Also I think they are reserving Pixar worlds for KH3 for whatever reason.

There are plenty that would be fine I think. Pixars are obviously for KH3. Also, the number of them, just 5 worlds?! I don't play Kingdom Hearts for the riveting plot or original settings.

Mario007

There are plenty that would be fine I think. Pixars are obviously for KH3. Also, the number of them, just 5 worlds?! I don't play Kingdom Hearts for the riveting plot or original settings.

The game was obviously rushed so that's why 5 worlds. Also I think the reason we got Musketeers and Fantasia was because DDD was basically the only game where you could have worlds with Mikey not being the king to fit the canon of the series.

I just took a look at the animated features list and these are the remaining worlds that I think make sense without scrapping the bottom. I mean sure it would be cool to see Aristocats or Lady and the Tramp worlds but they really wouldn't work as well as these:

The Sword in the Stone, The Jungle Book, Robin Hood, The Black Cauldron, The Great Mouse Detective, Pocahontas, The Emperor's New Groove, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Treasure Planet. I can't comment on the newest ones but these I think are the main worlds that are easily integrated into the KH universe.

Of course any world can be used but I wish they would take a lil more time making the worlds better, especially the story. I have said this before but one mistake they seem to be trying to do with the newer games is telling the whole story of the movies. I still think KH1 had the best worlds because the focus was the interaction between original characters and the world+classic characters. Also some stuff really happened in the disney worlds that were important for the main plot, mainly Monstro and Neverland with Rikus character arc.

Mario007

I just took a look at the animated features list and these are the remaining worlds that I think make sense without scrapping the bottom. I mean sure it would be cool to see Aristocats or Lady and the Tramp worlds but they really wouldn't work as well as these:

The Sword in the Stone, The Jungle Book, Robin Hood, The Black Cauldron, The Great Mouse Detective, Pocahontas, The Emperor's New Groove, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Treasure Planet. I can't comment on the newest ones but these I think are the main worlds that are easily integrated into the KH universe.

Of course any world can be used but I wish they would take a lil more time making the worlds better, especially the story. I have said this before but one mistake they seem to be trying to do with the newer games is telling the whole story of the movies. I still think KH1 had the best worlds because the focus was the interaction between original characters and the world+classic characters.

I agree re the integration of the story and the world but I think BBS did this the best way. Terra's interactions with the villains being the absolute highlight.

I agree re the integration of the story and the world but I think BBS did this the best way. Terra's interactions with the villains being the absolute highlight.

BBS had hits and misses. I think the worlds themselves didn't really have many good characters that could be used. I did like how for example they used the mirror in Terras campaing. It actually did know the answer for Terras question about the whereabouts of Xehanort and became part of the bigger picture. Kinda how some villains in KH1 you see outside of their own worlds, mainly Maleficent.

Mario007

BBS had hits and misses. I think the worlds themselves didn't really have many good characters that could be used. I did like how for example they used the mirror in Terras campaing. It actually did know the answer for Terras question about the whereabouts of Xehanort and became part of the bigger picture. Kinda how some villains in KH1 you see outside of their own worlds, mainly Maleficent.

Yeah, Peter Pan on Aqua's playthrough was also quite a big character, for example. Honestly I preferred the interaction in BBS to KH1, because in KH1 you're basically told 'Go to these worlds, kill the bad guys and lock the keyholes' whereas in BBS it really is an interaction with the world's characters that pushes TAV forward.

Yeah, I really miss Disney villains being heavily integrated. Give me Malificent over some long grey haired nancy any day.

And let's face it, if they can make Winnie the Pooh a world, they can make anything a world.

Yeah, I really miss Disney villains being heavily integrated. Give me Malificent over some long grey haired nancy any day.

And let's face it, if they can make Winnie the Pooh a world, they can make anything a world.

I could see some more light hearted world replacing Pooh as the minigame world.

prwxv3

I could see some more light hearted world replacing Pooh as the minigame world.

I would be amazing if they made "Walt Disney World" the minigame world. Those amusements parks are just as integral to the Disney name as any of the movies.

I agree. I really hope they use most of the pixar films. Most have perfect Villains (The prospector, Hopper, Waternoose, Syndrome, AUTO, Charles Muntz, and Lotso) that could fit the game perfectly. And they have many secondary antagonists/lackeys that would be great mini bosses or fodder enemies.

RPGCrazied

I guess it doesn't matter, this run I'm just doing standard for story and learn the controls. I'll look into developing him too. Thanks! I'm flying through this game, at the country of musketeers not even 15 hours. Do you revisit the worlds any?

also

Banned
I guess it doesn't matter, this run I'm just doing standard for story and learn the controls. I'll look into developing him too. Thanks! I'm flying through this game, at the country of musketeers not even 15 hours. Do you revisit the worlds any?
You revisit only 1 world.

MechaX

I picked the game up today and I played about an hour of it.

Coming from someone who probably only played an hour tops of BBS several years ago (and did not even touch the other DS ones), I would have to say that DDD is so far beyond KH2 that it is not even funny. More emphasis on abilities (even though flowmotion seems pretty broken right now, and I started on proud mode), less "Press Triangle to watch Sora do over-the-top shit for two bars of the boss's health."

Story-wise, I kinda know the gist of what happens in BBS, but even I had to go "WTF" when Yensid was casually dropping references to the keyblade versus the "Chi/X-Blade". Man, KH2 really did lead this series off the deep end.

But regardless, I'm having fun and I hope that continues. Perhaps this will finally motivate me to get to BBS after I'm done.

Top Bottom