• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue |OT| May our hearts be our guiding key

I think my only real player control complaint now is the fact that switching targets is still a pain in the ass. KHII's R2 + Left Stick method would work, I'd say.

I don't see why this is a surprise. The KH teams have always been very good at listening to feedback (as far as gameplay goes, storytelling doesn't seem to get such treatment) even if the "fixes"/changes haven't always been perfect. They just haven't released these games on modern platforms with support for patches, so the changes have been made between subsequent games or even between localized releases (the western versions often getting some balance updates after something was too weak/powerful in Japan) and not small patches after release. And I'm sure they are taking full advantage of 2.8's release and using 0.2 as an Episode Duscae like demo they gather feedback from to improve KHIII proper.
Considering how slow the turnaround has been on small scale fixes for other SE games this generation (FFX PS4, Type-0 HD and WoFF come to mind), I'm surprised these balance changes were implemented as soon as they were.

Lnds500

Considering how slow the turnaround has been on small scale fixes for other SE games this generation (FFX PS4, Type-0 HD and WoFF come to mind), I'm surprised these balance changes were implemented as soon as they were.

..or at all. They must be looking at this as Episode Duscae.

Can't wait to replay 0.2 now and see the changes. They fixed a lot of things that could make it feel very different.

Ray Down

Banned
..or at all. They must be looking at this as Episode Duscae.

Can't wait to replay 0.2 now and see the changes. They fixed a lot of things that could make it feel very different.

Duscae was patched 2 months after it was released.

I'm sure this Patch was in the works after Japan launch.

They didn't just quickly get it ready.

Lnds500

Duscae was patched 2 months after it was released.

I'm sure this Patch was in the works after Japan launch.

They didn't just quickly get it ready.

I never said that. I said they could be looking at this as Episode Duscae in terms of fan feedback and improvements. I know they didn't make the patch in less than 2 days.

Lnds500

Live in Europe as well (Greece)!

Woo, patch is live in Australia!

Edit: such a small patch, I thought I saw someone say it was a big one haha

It's just bug fixes and adjustments so it should be small. The first one was big because it had the whole opening video in it.

Live in Europe as well (Greece)!

It's just bug fixes and adjustments so it should be small. The first one was big because it had the whole opening video in it.

First one downloaded as part of my digital copy so I didn't have to suffer through it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm ecstatic it's small! 133MB, says it will be done in 79 minutes. That is one quick patch =D

Lnds500

First one downloaded as part of my digital copy so I didn't have to suffer through it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm ecstatic it's small! 133MB, says it will be done in 79 minutes. That is one quick patch =D

Ouch... I remember you said on KHI you had terrible internet but 79 minutes.. I got it in a minute and I my connection to PSN isn't that great.

Ouch... I remember you said on KHI you had terrible internet but 79 minutes.. I got it in a minute and I my connection to PSN isn't that great.

Haha yeah, it's pretty crap. The 2GB download for FFXV the other day took like 14-16 hours. Started it when everyone else did (like 10-11am), finished at 3am the next morning.

Astral Dog

That's debatable. 1 is definitely a far more stilted and clunky game overall, but it makes up for that with superior game balance and enemy/boss design that actually factors Sora's capabilities into their design. Pretty much every boss in DDD consists of mindlessly whacking away at them until they die. KH1 offers far more options, like parrying/teching for potential openings (Riku-Ansem is free to parries and techs, especially from heavier keyblades), using elemental weaknesses (Maleficent and Captain Hook get wrecked by Stop, Xemnas gets a literal headache from Gravity Spells), etc.

3D's is definitely more fluid because of the Command Deck, but there's not as much thought put into it's overall design in relation to the enemies in the game and it suffers from that in the long run.
I didn't play KH1 but DDD combat system is much superior to 2 i assume the same is true for BBS.
The combat is actually fun now :)

I didn't play KH1 but DDD combat system is much superior to 2 i assume the same is true for BBS.
The combat is actually fun now :)

DDD has the same combat system as BBS, but without the great command fusion and therefore with less crazy and cool commands and the abilities tied to Pokemon...ah..Dream Eater. Sora and Riku are also not as fun and as different to play than the 3 characters in BBS. Free Flow is the new good thing in DDD, but otherwise BBS is superior.
And KH2 has great combat too ;)
1 plays like shit though, I like the bossfights, enemy design and the difficulty. But the controls overall and the level design is horrible, I dont think it's a good game anymore.

silva1991

I hate when super phantom Aqua casts like 8 gigantic ice spells that can track me and when I block them with reflect, she comes out of nowhere with her orange unblockable charge and hits me. Basically if this happens while having 1 HP left it's pretty much 100% death.

Sure I can dodge the orange charge, but then the ice spell will hit me instead since it tracks.

Absolutely fantastic boss, but that ice spells part would have been better if the boss can't attack me simultaneously with that barrage of tracking ice spells.

I'll try it again alter after the update.

That's debatable. 1 is definitely a far more stilted and clunky game overall, but it makes up for that with superior game balance and enemy/boss design that actually factors Sora's capabilities into their design. Pretty much every boss in DDD consists of mindlessly whacking away at them until they die. KH1 offers far more options, like parrying/teching for potential openings (Riku-Ansem is free to parries and techs, especially from heavier keyblades), using elemental weaknesses (Maleficent and Captain Hook get wrecked by Stop, Xemnas gets a literal headache from Gravity Spells), etc.

3D's is definitely more fluid because of the Command Deck, but there's not as much thought put into it's overall design in relation to the enemies in the game and it suffers from that in the long run.

Agreed. I think both 1 and 2 are equally balanced, but 2 is more fun with more options.

Burbeting

Banned
What difficulty are you playing on? From what I remember, flowmotion is a bit overpowered at first but it loses it's usefulness later on (especially on harder difficulty levels), since it leaves the player so vulnerable + flowmotion attacks end up being really weak compared to stronger commands & perhaps even Sora's normal attack combos. I mean, I guess if one can really master using flowmotion to the point where they can break the game & use some cheap tactics to beat everything, it might be overpowered, but I'd imagine for the average player flowmotion can often be more of a hindrance for how vulnerable & relatively weak it actually is. At least for me, there are probably more times that flowmotion moves/attacks got me killed rather than being the key to victory.

Playing on Proud. The attack where you first jump from a wall, and then strike down for AOE damage is pretty OP due to the attack animation being so short, and it having a kickback-effect, the enemies don't have a chance to damage you 99% of the time. It doesn't work with some bosses, but all mob fights are pretty easy.

Something that amuses me now that 2.8 confirmed it,
Sora and gang know the names of the worlds. Enchanted Dominion, Olympus Coliseum etc. I wonder if they ever questioned why a whole world was named after a Beast's Castle despite there being the town and forest.

Lnds500

Something that amuses me now that 2.8 confirmed it,
Sora and gang know the names of the worlds. Enchanted Dominion, Olympus Coliseum etc. I wonder if they ever questioned why a whole world was named after a Beast's Castle despite there being the town and forest.

Because... peasants.

tumblr_mvnemzcRoU1qko9h3o3_500.gif

Namikaze

Do DDD and 0.2 have PS4 Pro modes? I thought that 0.2 had 4K/30 or 1080/60 support. And I figured that DDD would easily be able to run in 4K..

I hate when super phantom Aqua casts like 8 gigantic ice spells that can track me and when I block them with reflect, she comes out of nowhere with her orange unblockable charge and hits me. Basically if this happens while having 1 HP left it's pretty much 100% death.

I just beat her,you can cancel her spell cast by casting thunder!
https://youtu.be/N58pxBC5DMs?t=2m29s

Which is good, cause fuck if i know how to dodge the shit with aqua around too

But yea, that was the first time i've got up out my seat and said fuck yea, just for a normal kill in ages!

Gbraga

Really cool that they were so quick to patch it.

This and 1.5+2.5 will only make the wait harder, won't they? >_>

Fuck, finally get to rank 20 in Flick Rush and cash my medals in for a Firaga Burst since it was the only thing in there I didn't have... now there's three Dream Eater recipes that are 2000 medals a piece. This is going to take forever.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Do DDD and 0.2 have PS4 Pro modes? I thought that 0.2 had 4K/30 or 1080/60 support. And I figured that DDD would easily be able to run in 4K..

0.2 runs at an unlocked FPS, around 40 to 45 for Pro. PS4 runs at 30fps. I heard DDD also has a res boost, but who knows

I was looking forward to replaying DDD until I remembered the awful dream eater bullshit. Ugh really wish they just had Donald and goofy in that game. I hate Pokémon like shit in games.

Emu-Fred

Banned
Is Once more and Second Chance still locked away by befriending a specific dream eater in DDD? Because I did not like that at all

t1gerjaw

Jesus Christ, I really hate the secret boss.
What a long boring ass fight, and it's one of the last objectives that I need, fuck.

So I've been reading that in the 3DS release Kab Kannon would give a Brilliant Fantasy when it dies. For the last five attempts, it's given me a Wild Fantasy. Have they changed it or do Brilliant Fantasy's have a lower drop rate? Keeba Tiger drops it every time so I fear it's been changed.

Edit: Decided to make another two Keeba Tigers instead. Hopefully they give me the Brilliant Fantasy's I need.

HMD

Just finished 0.2 and that post credits scene was HYPE. Also did they change Kairi's VA? She sounds different.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Just finished 0.2 and that post credits scene was HYPE. Also did they change Kairi's VA? She sounds different.

Its been 10 years since KH2. Hayden has gotten older and Alyson Stoner, again, somehow reprises her.

Let me guess, Kairi is going to be done by Hayen in KH3 and Alyson is going to do Xion again.

I wish they would stop switching every game

silva1991

Nomura and KH3 team, for the love of God pick that Sora model for the final build. It's perfect.

anigif_original-grid-image-29722-1412189138-20.gif

yeah come talk to me about DDD combat when it isn't just spam balloon over and over again

True lol. I like Balloon tho. Such a unique and refreshing looking yet devastating spell.

Its been 10 years since KH2. Hayden has gotten older and Alyson Stoner, again, somehow reprises her.

Let me guess, Kairi is going to be done by Hayen in KH3 and Alyson is going to do Xion again.

I wish they would stop switching every game
Hayden is a bigger star than HJO and David Gallagher right now so it probably costs a lot to just bring her in for only a couple of lines I guess

It sucks though

Does anyone know what the bags Riku and Mickey took from Yensid were?

They are suitcases that contain new outfits for Kingdom Hearts III. The three fairies made new clothes to protect them from the Darkness while they find a way to rescue Aqua.

Lnds500

Yea I would say the visuals for the epilogue scene is perfect

It's funny that the scene they showed at the final trailer is probably the worst looking scene of Sora lol.

Yea Sora's model is on point in this game. The trailers did no justice for him.

The model is great but the technology needs work. Lightning is still off and why are Sora's sleeves 2 giant cones?? o_O

Materials are fucking off in these games nowadays.

JTripper

Did the movement in 0.2 feel slightly stiff to anyone else? I think the combat and movement is decent overall, but when turning and changing direction it felt a little choppy.

Nose Master

The model is great but the technology needs work. Lightning is still off and why are Sora's sleeves 2 giant cones?? o_O

Materials are fucking off in these games nowadays.

Yeah, the "kingdom shader" needs a lot of work. I lost my shit when I saw
terras shirt
in 0.2. It looks like a completely flat texture.

Lnds500

Yeah, the "kingdom shader" needs a lot of work. I lost my shit when I saw
terras shirt
in 0.2. It looks like a completely flat texture.

We haven't seen the "Kingdom Shader". I wish people started realising that. It was a pipedream the dev team and Nomura had to blend the original characters in each world's environment.

The only instance we have seen it is the reveal trailer and that was a render (??).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtLkym8-RXU

0:40-0:48

I am not even sure it's even a thing anymore. Clearly they are having problems graphically so I imagine they have put that aside for the time being. Hopefully they'll incorporate it but we haven't seen it yet.

Kingdom Shader probably was a thing using tools of Luminous.

But now I guess they couldn't port whatever they were making to UE4 or at least didn't bother porting it to the build to make 0.2.

We really need a new KH3 trailer

Top Bottom