• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue |OT| May our hearts be our guiding key

Just T

I've been playing a lot of 0.2. Already finished proud mode and working on critical to clear up some objectives. I think it's pretty good, first of all it looks fantastic, nice to see my favorite series finally make such a graphical leap. As for gameplay, some highs and low. it's great that the command deck isn't in this and won't be in KH3, that shit is a hassle. Was very happy when Nomura first said it wouldn't be. Spell weaver works much better here because it's not automatic, one of the things that stops BBS gameplay from being great. The finisher still interrupts the flow here though but with Sora's extra abilities and combos that should straighten itself out, hopefully, need that KH2 gameplay. Other than that the magic and shotlock are great. New heartless are too.

Story stuff:

-Not happy Riku and Mickey will be the ones to save Aqua, wanted it to be Sora.
-The Mark of Mastery is still bs, it's weird how they act like it's his fault.
-Sora's voice for the most part is okay but when it's get to that forced cheeriness it's awkward.
-Also glad they got Sora's look down finally, he's looking great.
-Aqua is so unlucky

Also watched Back Cover, it was entertaining enough, they all acted kinda stupid though and
about the whole master eye thing, does that mean that Riku is being watched?

Still playing through Dream Drop Distance but watched the story some time ago. It's been alright, playing more as Sora but really don't like the command deck so playtimes aren't that long. Also don't like Dream Eaters. The drop mechanic is unnecessary and flowmotion is pretty dope but the moves are getting repetitive.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I've always likened the difference in the two styles to that period of time in the Tales series where you had the standard, TP based combat more oriented on combos from the Symphonia team and the somewhat flashier combat from Team Destiny, with a bigger emphasis on choosing from a pool of techniques with a brief cooldown attached to it.

Both are enjoyable and both have their flaws, and I'd never say that one is better than the other. With that said though, I get the desire for combat design more in line with KH and KHII, since it's been close to a decade since there's been a full game in that style.

The team that created and mastered that style no longer exists though, and anyone that is left most certainly are not in charge of Osaka team or what their preferred method of gameplay styles are, so expecting something like KH2 now feels out of place.

HeelPower

compare it to kh2, there isn't nearly is much freedom of movement.

0.2 is lacking in aerial manouverabilty, yes, but not much more than that. If you remember Aqua from BbS, this is basically her but with some differences. I like that she doesn't play like Sora, nor Like Terra or like Ventus. Different characters should feel different and excel in different areas.

I agree with this.

I trust this is intentionally designed for Aqua's playstyle. She is more ''Upright ,restrained and Regal'' in the way she fights,compared to the others.Sort of like a Fencer as opposed to Sora's more unrestrained and wild style.

This last page confuses me greatly. The Osaka hate/Nomura wank is real

BBS and Re:CoM are both pretty amazing from a systems point of view, honestly, and as far as the basic gameplay loop is concerned. It's mainly that KH2FM (not so much vanilla kh2, if we're being honest) has really really excellent melee mechanics. As far as the RPG elements are concerned, Osaka's basically got Tokyo beat; it's just that KH2FM has basically gold-standard ARPG melee combat and balance and boss design.

BBS and Re:CoM are both pretty amazing from a systems point of view, honestly, and as far as the basic gameplay loop is concerned. It's mainly that KH2FM (not so much vanilla kh2, if we're being honest) has really really excellent melee mechanics. As far as the RPG elements are concerned, Osaka's basically got Tokyo beat; it's just that KH2FM has basically gold-standard ARPG melee combat and balance and boss design.

Pretty much. Though it does bear mentioning that it took a couple of games for the original KH team to put out something as godlike as KHIIFM. The Osaka team's clearly showed some growth just in 0.2 alone, so writing them off entirely seems a little extreme.

Like, playing through KH1, I would have never expected the same team to later deliver something as well put together as KHIIFM (And even then, it's still not without flaws; the level design is non-existent outside of Cavern of Remembrance).

Pretty much. Though it does bear mentioning that it took a couple of games for the original KH team to put out something as godlike as KHIIFM. The Osaka team's clearly showed some growth just in 0.2 alone, so writing them off entirely seems a little extreme.

Like, playing through KH1, I would have never expected the same team to later deliver something as well put together as KHIIFM (And even then, it's still not without flaws; the level design is non-existent outside of Cavern of Remembrance).

KH2FM is really, really great in part because it's a strong mea culpa about a lot of the deep flaws in vanilla KH2 (like the level design thing). No, they didn't redesign the worlds to fix those issues or anything like that, *but* they still add a lot of stuff to go back and do, give the game an actual postgame beyond Sephiroth/Paradox Cup, bring back dodge rolling, et cetera. But it also doubles down on the things KH2 did *right* (like the improved melee and the boldly different MP system and differentiating keyblades via passive abilities).

0.2 shows a TON of potential, I think, and it's a great vertical slice for a good many of KH3's design concepts. Let's hope they keep patching and improving it, Episode Duscae style.

Slater

Banned
One of these days I'll make a thread In DDD's honor you'll all be ashamed

Hey the Riku character development was nice and well put together. It helps that he has been written consistently as progressing, as opposed to Sora's hard regression into an idiot pre teen.

Also helps that David is able to keep a consistent voice. Poor Haley, they should just let him do something close to his Vanitas voice for Sora, which was perfect

RocknRola

I don't really know if I am getting DDD so far lol but it is nice to see all these TWEWY characters early on.

To be fair, it was the exact opposite to me :p Traverse Town was a slog (even though the new areas were pretty damn cool) because I didn't really care about anyone in there lol

It got better once I reached La Cite Des Cloches.

Story stuff:

-The Mark of Mastery is still bs, it's weird how they act like it's his fault.
-Sora's voice for the most part is okay but when it's get to that forced cheeriness it's awkward.
-Also glad they got Sora's look down finally, he's looking great.
-Aqua is so unlucky

Also watched Back Cover, it was entertaining enough, they all acted kinda stupid though and
about the whole master eye thing, does that mean that Riku is being watched?

Still playing through Dream Drop Distance but watched the story some time ago. It's been alright, playing more as Sora but really don't like the command deck so playtimes aren't that long. Also don't like Dream Eaters. The drop mechanic is unnecessary and flowmotion is pretty dope but the moves are getting repetitive.
Doesn't it make more sense for it to be Kairi, given her and Aqua's interaction in BBS? I thought it was a nice touch having her tag along with Riku. I feel like Sora saving Ven is more appropriate if they go that route.

MAtgS

Story stuff:

Riku & Mickey have experience being in the RoD, Kairi has no darkness for the heartless to prey on, & Lea has the black coat that shields from darkness. Sora/Donald/Goofy are effectively the least qualified to go there.

Personally, I feel Kairi should be the one to save Aqua since she's the one Aqua ultimately passed the keyblade down to, intentional or not. It's off putting to me that 0.2 seems to regard Kairi's connection with Aqua as seemingly irrelevant compared to Sora's & Riku's.

Slater

Banned
Riku & Mickey have experience being in the RoD, Kairi has no darkness for the heartless to prey on, & Lea has the black coat that shields from darkness. Sora/Donald/Goofy are effectively the least qualified to go there.

Personally, I feel Kairi should be the one to save Aqua since she's the one Aqua ultimately passed the keyblade down to, intentional or not. It's off putting to me that 0.2 seems to regard Kairi's connection with Aqua as seemingly irrelevant compared to Sora's & Riku's.

Kairi being treated as a complete afterthought? No way, Nomura would never do that :p

I agree with this and I'm hoping all this is just set up for Kairi to have her defining moment.

Azuran

Banned
To be fair, it was the exact opposite to me :p Traverse Town was a slog (even though the new areas were pretty damn cool) because I didn't really care about anyone in there lol

It got better once I reached La Cite Des Cloches.

I know there's something very wrong in this world when I hear people saying they don't care about the TWEWY characters.

I guess not everyone is enlightened enough to join the Church of Joshua.

Slater

Banned
I know there's something very wrong in this world when I hear people saying they don't care about the TWEWY characters.

I mean, I love the cast but DDD treats them mostly as filler and afterthoughts, if you haven't played TWEWY then DDD doesn't do anything to make you attached. That's the games fault

RocknRola

He was actually the worst. Well, not him exactly, his voice. Annoying :p

Azuran

Banned
I mean, I love the cast but DDD treats them mostly as filler and afterthoughts, if you haven't played TWEWY then DDD doesn't do anything to make you attached. That's the games fault

Not playing TWEWY should be a crime against humanity but I digress. Anyways, they play their specific role in this game which is all they were getting. They were never going to take center stage and completely hijack the plot like some people wanted. Either way, there was no way they were going to do them complete justice in a limited number of cutscenes considering how much they changed and developed throughout TWEWY.

Slater

Banned
Not playing TWEWY should be a crime against humanity but I digress. Anyways, they play their specific role in this game which is all they were getting. They were never going to take center stage and completely hijack the plot like some people wanted. Either way, there was no way they were going to do them complete justice in a limited number of cutscenes considering how much they changed and developed throughout TWEWY.

Right, which is my point TWEWY is a niche game most people aren't going to know them going in. The game doesn't do them justice and thus people don't care about them, that's not the players fault its DDD's.

RocknRola

Although I have to say, the whole "Drop" thing is kind of in the way sometimes. In La Cite Des Cloches I found myself being dropped into Riku & Sora, for no reason other than "You took too long exploring bro, sorry."

Yes there are items you can use and you can quickly Drop manually to one of them and back again and keep going, but it's a bit annoying. Feel like that kinda cuts the flow of play a bit. Dunno, maybe it made sense on a handheld space where people would play shorter sessions in general.

Right, which is my point TWEWY is a niche game most people aren't going to know them going in. The game doesn't do them justice and thus people don't care about them, that's not the players fault its DDD's.
Not many people probably know what they'll the hunchback of Notre Dame is either

RocknRola

Not many people probably know what they'll the hunchback of Notre Dame is either

I'd argue a lot more do though. This version used is the Disney one, which by default reaches/has reached a whole wider audience than TWEWY probably ever reached. Even if arguably the movie is one of their least popular ones from that era.

Azuran

Banned

Let's be fair, the main point what's all about fanservice for fans and not driving interest in a niche game. Just seeing the TWEWY cast in 3D and fully voiced was enough to make me and other people happy.

Play TWEWY if you haven't people!

iHaunter

I've only played KH1 and KH2.

This looks like the last installment before KH3.

Are there others I can play on PS4 before I play this?

1.5 + 2.5 is out in March on the PS4, at the least you need to play Birth By Sleep from the 2.5 collection before playing 0.2 and KH3

Azuran

Banned

Birth by Sleep is a must when 1.5+2.5 comes out. You should be set with that and this collection.

You can also watch the 358/2 Days movie in Youtube right now if you want a quick KH fix. It's going to be important for KH3 as well.

Falk

that puzzling face

That's actually a good counterpoint/example when we're talking about TWEWY.

Outside of several very specific cases, the Disney tie-ins are just about as abridged in their presentations vs the source material as TWEWY is vs its source material, environment aside (Shibuya doesn't quite look like Traverse Town)

Heck, I'd go so far as to say some plot arcs from the features get truncated to the point the characters look like idiots as far as motivation/etc. go. But that's just the nature of the format - a lot of it is there as fanservice rather than serving some greater narrative.

edit: For obvious reasons, this affects the handheld games (even BBS) more than 1 and 2.

Outside of several very specific cases, the Disney tie-ins are just about as abridged in their presentations vs the source material as TWEWY is vs its source material, environment aside (Shibuya doesn't quite look like Traverse Town)

Heck, I'd go so far as to say some plot arcs from the features get truncated to the point the characters look like idiots as far as motivation/etc. go. But that's just the nature of the format - a lot of it is there as fanservice rather than serving some greater narrative.
It's all supposed to be just fanservice so that's a weird nitpick to try and throw at DDD. Same goes for the people clamoring for alantis, treasure planet and stuff like that.

I expect 3 to be all about the big dogs just like 1&2 were.

Edit:not you Falk sama

image.jpg

Slater

Banned

edit: For obvious reasons, this affects the handheld games (even BBS) more than 1 and 2.

Yeah, it's always been one of the biggest complaints about KH2, everything disney felt truncated and pointless filler. One of the things most people agree that 1 handled them way better.

shmoglish

I mean, I am not that bad in rythm games, but...
one of those rythm challenges in the symphony worlds is driving me nuts. Feels like the game doesnt even recognize it sometimes when I press a button)
Also: I am still not sure what to think about the dropfeature. Dont see any value in it.

Falk

that puzzling face
Yeah, it's always been one of the biggest complaints about KH2, everything disney felt truncated and pointless filler. One of the things most people agree that 1 handled them way better.

I think my enjoyment of the worlds also has some correlation to how much it travels off the beaten path, or how the story/characters change with the presence/involvement of SDG/TAV. For example, playing through Notre Dame where you pretty much can figure what's going to happen, vs Beast traveling to Hollow Bastion to save Belle.

Or, in other words, how much the plot/world is integrated into the larger narrative rather than just retelling a story people already know.

I mean, I am not that bad in rythm games, but...
one of those rythm challenges in the symphony worlds is driving me nuts. Feels like the game doesnt even recognize it sometimes when I press a button)
Also: I am still not sure what to think about the dropfeature. Dont see any value in it.
Remember the green line you need to hold the button

I think my enjoyment of the worlds also has some correlation to how much it travels off the beaten path, or how the story/characters change with the presence/involvement of SDG/TAV. For example, playing through Notre Dame where you pretty much can figure what's going to happen, vs Beast traveling to Hollow Bastion to save Belle.

Or, in other words, how much the plot/world is integrated into the larger narrative rather than just retelling a story people already know.
So that leaves the burning question..Kh1 agrabah or kg2.. Tread lightly falk

silva1991

I wanna get into the series but.. I don't know if I can looking at that abomination. Why did they do this? I don't get it.

Just 1 and 2

It's up to you if you want to play 0.2, BBS and DDD or just watch a summery on youtube(they are very fun to play though)

Then wait for 3

Top Bottom