• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue |OT| May our hearts be our guiding key

Yeah he really wanted it but the team hated it until someone suggested adding in a manual drop option.

I officially hate Phantom Aqua. 95% of attacks can't be blocked, you get stuck in an attack that drains your HP again and again, when you can block it always ends before her combo finishes, she's quite unpredictable because she keeps vanishing.

I've never made it past the Spellweaver part because that's just brutal but even on beginner mode I feel so much annoyance and stress from this fight. I'm still baffled as to why they lock you out of your items after you use like two or three of them.

jorgejjvr

i mean, last time he overruled the osaka team was to jam flowmotion into the game
I don't mind flowmotion at all. And I feel they can tone it down a bit. I believe I've seen some flowmotion on the kh3 trailers

I just don't understand why we can't go back to 2. The best and most engaging combat in the series

I have hope with Nomura and knowing drive forms are back

The one combo set up bug me in 0.2. But it shouldn't be like that in 3

Luigi87

Yeah he really wanted it but the team hated it until someone suggested adding in a manual drop option.

I officially hate Phantom Aqua. 95% of attacks can't be blocked, you get stuck in an attack that drains your HP again and again, when you can block it always ends before her combo finishes, she's quite unpredictable because she keeps vanishing.

I've never made it past the Spellweaver part because that's just brutal but even on beginner mode I feel so much annoyance and stress from this fight. I'm still baffled as to why they lock you out of your items after you use like two or three of them.

It's just like in KH1 & 2. You are limited to the number of items you can equip/bring into battle. The difference here is you don't physically equip the items, as they are all equipped, they just auto-reload between fights if you have enough stock.

It's just like in KH1 & 2. You are limited to the number of items you can equip/bring into battle. The difference here is you don't physically equip the items, as they are all equipped, they just auto-reload between fights if you have enough stock.

I swear that in those games, even if you were in battle, it would say something like Potion x3 but if you used one it would replenish that with one from your reserve.

Regardless, if I have two potions, an ether, a mega potion, and three hi-potions then I expect to be able to use them instead of being locked out.

The post game version? Spellweaver there has to be handled similarly to how you handle Lingering Will's desperation attack in IIFM.

After she transitions into spellweaver, she'll fire off projectiles three times in a row. Cartwheel past them. She'll teleport elsewhere after, but listen for her laugh. Once the laugh ends, immediately block. She'll teleport twice within your frame of view and then attack from the other side. Block again. She'll teleport in front of you quickly, then attack. Block once more, then use doubleflight to avoid the projectile. At the height of your second jump, guard again, as she'll attack you twice in the air. When she hits the barrier twice, Air Slide forward to completely avoid the projectile barrage. When she's winding up for the Spellweaver finisher, wait for them to start closing in on you and guard, but this time, use the counter (you need the i-frames more than anything). While the counter animation is protecting you, you can hit lock on, and Aqua will lock onto to the real phantom Aqua, and you can attack her as soon as she comes out of the finisher.

About 99% of the time after the Spellweaver bit, she'll cast a nasty Ice spell with insane tracking. If you lock on to her and cast Thunder quick enough, you'll knock her right out of the attack.

HeelPower

Osaka games are stiff. Kh2 was nice and floaty for aerial reasons. BBS doesn't float. They suck you in towards enemies and hang you there. Doesn't not float or feel fluid. It just feels like i get pulled with every aerial animation.

Anyone else feel like combat in .2 is still very stiff compared to KH2? The flow seems a bit off

"Very stiff" ? That's absurd.

The game feels rather slippery if anything. Making the game even more floaty would make it pretty fucking bad.

The post game version? Spellweaver there has to be handled similarly to how you handle Lingering Will's desperation attack in IIFM.

After she transitions into spellweaver, she'll fire off projectiles three times in a row. Cartwheel past them. She'll teleport elsewhere after, but listen for her laugh. Once the laugh ends, immediately block. She'll teleport twice within your frame of view and then attack from the other side. Block again. She'll teleport in front of you quickly, then attack. Block once more, then use doubleflight to avoid the projectile. At the height of your second jump, guard again, as she'll attack you twice in the air. When she hits the barrier twice, Air Slide forward to completely avoid the projectile barrage. When she's winding up for the Spellweaver finisher, wait for them to start closing in on you and guard, but this time, use the counter (you need the i-frames more than anything). While the counter animation is protecting you, you can hit lock on, and Aqua will lock onto to the real phantom Aqua, and you can attack her as soon as she comes out of the finisher.

About 99% of the time after the Spellweaver bit, she'll cast a nasty Ice spell with insane tracking. If you lock on to her and cast Thunder quick enough, you'll knock her right out of the attack.

I watched a video of someone else doing it (20 levels higher than me) and it really helped. I was surprised you can actually block those giant ice balls, every time I tried to do it before I would get hit haha. Thankfully, it's done now. Never again.

NullKaze

I watched a video of someone else doing it (20 levels higher than me) and it really helped. I was surprised you can actually block those giant ice balls, every time I tried to do it before I would get hit haha.
Oh man you liked that video, wait till you see Bizkit or Cyberman or any of the more skilled KH players.

They find openings everywhere in Mirror Aqua's attacks. Almost every single one of her attack strings can be countered and be used as an opening for you to land two combos.

I think the only attack that can't be countered and punished fully is the Blizzaga move.

RocknRola

Bro, cartwheel. Cartwheel like you never cartwheeled befored! Also, adopt Souls game strategies, aka punish but don't pursue. Look for openings and bide your time. At some point she will leave herself open, and then you go in and punish her.

I did it on Critical, so it's possible (took me 4 or 5 tries though). Granted that fight took super long (it was the optional Phantom Aqua, the one you fight when you find all the Zodiac symbols) and it felt a bit disappointing given the lack of any real rewards besides a Tiara.

Bro, cartwheel. Cartwheel like you never cartwheeled befored! Also, adopt Souls game strategies, aka punish but don't pursue. Look for openings and bide your time. At some point she will leave herself open, and then you go in and punish her.

Mmm, I'm just not a big fan of boss designs where 90% of the time you have to dodge. I like blocking and attacking so it's no wonder I was struggling lol.

If they wanna go back and patch anything especially awesome into 0.2 it should be having each of the assorted costume-unlocking tasks also grant you a passive ability from BBS (and maybe hide super-great KH2 stuff like Finishing Plus or MP Hastega behind beating the optional shadow aqua or beating the game on critical).

Man, though, this version of Critical also nerfing your MP is beyond brutal and I'm not sure it's a good thing.

RocknRola

compare it to kh2, there isn't nearly is much freedom of movement.

0.2 is lacking in aerial manouverabilty, yes, but not much more than that. If you remember Aqua from BbS, this is basically her but with some differences. I like that she doesn't play like Sora, nor Like Terra or like Ventus. Different characters should feel different and excel in different areas.

I bet you Sora will never use something as clever as ice rails, created by his own magic :p

Still, I agree that she is lacking some tools we would definitely have in a "full game" but what she has is enough for sure.

I bet you Sora will never use something as clever as ice rails, created by his own magic :p

Do you wanna bet something else or you gonna pay up now?

giphy.gif

desmax

Btw, can I just say that it really surprised me how 0.2 had it's own Save Menu?

I get that the previously game used their own versions too, but the consoles didn't had a default menu for them (At least for my experience), so I get why the HD version had them.

But I wasn't expecting them to do a new one for 0.2. I honestly can't think of a game that has a dedicated Save menu on the console, to be honest

raven777

Btw, can I just say that it really surprised me how 0.2 had it's own Save Menu?

I get that the previously game used their own versions too, but the consoles didn't had a default menu for them (At least for my experience), so I get why the HD version had them.

But I wasn't expecting them to do a new one for 0.2. I honestly can't think of a game that has a dedicated Save menu on the console, to be honest

I thought there are quite a few games that use their own save menus? Didn't FFXV have one as well? Persona 5 has it as well... unless I misunderstood your meaning of having own save menu..

Also, I love they give 99 save slots, even for a short game like 0.2.

desmax

I thought there are quite a few games that use their own save menus? Didn't FFXV have one as well? Persona 5 has it as well... unless I misunderstood your meaning of having own save menu..

Also, I love they give 99 save slots, even for a short game like 0.2.

Wasn't XV all auto-save? I don't remember manually saving.
Maybe memory is failing me.

I mean, PS3 and PS4 had a default save menu integrated into the console, so most games used that. Don't see many devs making their own save menus for their games

EDIT: Yup, glad there's lots of save slots too

raven777

Wasn't XV all auto-save? I don't remember manually saving.
Maybe memory is failing me.

I mean, PS3 and PS4 had a default save menu integrated into the console, so most games used that. Don't see many devs making their own save menus for their games

EDIT: Yup, glad there's lots of save slots too

I don't have my own saved so I grabbed one from the net
It's autosave + bunch of manual save slots. But I think there is like only 10 slots?

this is Persona 5 save menu

Also Yakuza 0 have it's own save menu. So recently many games seem to implement it compared to before..

Yea I personally prefer games having their own save menu compared to PS3/PS4's default ones..

Finished today. Just have the Ambitious trophy left. About 6 more objectives as well. I liked this a lot. Took a minute to get back into BBS mode but I've it clicked I was good again. First playthrough was on Proud. Might drop down to beginner to clear up the other objectives before bearing it on critical. The wardrobe stuff was cute for Aqua. Hope it's more in depth in KH3. GRAPHICS ARE GORGEOUS! Especially the final cutscenes. Cannot wait to play with Sora and the gang once more.

desmax

I don't have my own saved so I grabbed one from the net

It's autosave + bunch of manual save slots. But I think there is like only 10 slots?

Also Yakuza 0 have it's own save menu. So recently many games seem to implement it compared to before..

Yea I personally prefer games having their own save menu compared to PS3/PS4's default ones..

Oh, you are right, can't believe I forgot that.

It's something so rare these days, that it surprises me when new games have their own.
I appreciate the extra effort

I found that the story section of the menu doesn't have a share block so I snagged a picture of
Sora, Donald, and Goofy on the Gummi Ship
and made it my computer desktop background.

Nose Master

Anyone else getting frame drops in the secret boss fight in 0.2? Og ps4. I swear I got one for like 10frames yesterday, it was absurd.

Jump cancelling guard realllllllly speeds up that fight. Man.

silva1991

Both Riku and Sora are awsome. I think I prefer Sora's link abilities tho.

Persona 5 menu

Anyone else getting frame drops in the secret boss fight in 0.2? Og ps4. I swear I got one for like 10frames yesterday, it was absurd.

I don't remember any frame drops, but sometime the game freezes like half a second or something.

Happens on Pro a bit too, and yeah jump cancelling her guard is the quickest (and most satisfying) way to open her up.

Luigi87

I also got stuttering here and there. Playing on PS4 Pro, so I don't know if maybe it's the open framerate?

I do think one of the positives of 0.2 is that it granted the team practice while they also work on KH3 which should, hopefully, be far more impressive than the already pretty impressive 0.2

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This last page confuses me greatly. The Osaka hate/Nomura wank is real

People should realize Nomura and Tai yasue along with the entire team coordinate on these projects, its not as osaka does anything without approval after all. Even though they have their own gameplay style, its not bad IMO. Its just different.

People should realize Nomura and Tai yasue along with the entire team coordinate on these projects, its not as osaka does anything without approval after all. Even though they have their own gameplay style, its not bad IMO. Its just different.

I've always likened the difference in the two styles to that period of time in the Tales series where you had the standard, TP based combat more oriented on combos from the Symphonia team and the somewhat flashier combat from Team Destiny, with a bigger emphasis on choosing from a pool of techniques with a brief cooldown attached to it.

Both are enjoyable and both have their flaws, and I'd never say that one is better than the other. With that said though, I get the desire for combat design more in line with KH and KHII, since it's been close to a decade since there's been a full game in that style.

Top Bottom