• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue |OT| May our hearts be our guiding key

Famassu

Without even a mention? At all? Ahuh man sure, sure.

LOL
They've been awake for some time by that point (they all woke up around the same time in the same room). Technically they could've gotten that shit handled off screen. And it's not like they are rushing to hug each other in that scene in DDD, they are all quite solemn & act a bit cold towards each other, so there could still be some hard feelings underneath, even if they don't show it in that scene

Zen Aku

Am I the only one not used to Flowmotion combat? It feels so clunky to me (ironically) I feel like I'm so handcuffed to it when trying to pull off combos. It's literally turning off the DDD for me.

Zaverious

The whole Tron world in DDD makes zero sense in context anyway. It can't be the same Tron for example as KH2 even doe it's implied to be. Don't think too deeply about it. I mean, the ''sleeping worlds'' thing is a blatant asspull anyway.

I'm having surprisingly good time with DDD after I got out of Traverse Town. Still not a great game but IMO it works much better on console.

The tron world in KH2 is a copy of the original program. In DDD, Sora goes to the original copy. The real world outside of the program is dreaming but the data world can't so events that happen in The Grid actually do happen.
Just like how Data-Sora is connected to the real Sora and uses his keyblade, Rinzler can feel slight connections that KH2 Tron has to Sora.

Am I the only one not used to Flowmotion combat? It feels so clunky to me (ironically) I feel like I'm so handcuffed to it when trying to pull off combos. It's literally turning off the DDD for me.

You can turn off all Flowmotion abilities in your command menu, so you don't accidentally activate it!

Thought I should mention it here, the Ability Ace seems tied to Proud/Critical mode as the trophy activated for me when I turned on EXP Zero. People on Standard mode have been unable to unlock it.

Completed 0.2 on Proud today (post-patch). Actually was pretty fond of the boss battles. Would have liked the camera to be a bit further back, but otherwise I very much enjoyed the combat.
I might just start Critical mode..How is it?

jorgejjvr

Anyone know how long back cover is?

Also, I'm looking forward to kh3 having more than combo and combination of combos

And to have drive forms again

I kinda kiss flowmotion too in 0.2

Skulldead

Flow motion is OP during half of the game... but get weaker later. You will use more combo and command later on. For the exploration flow is quite nice.. you will see on big open area.

Berordn

Anyone else feel like combat in .2 is still very stiff compared to KH2? The flow seems a bit off

Aqua only has one combo finisher and the limited options probably play into that a fair bit, but combat does feel a little less fluid.

I imagine Sora will have more options in the final game.

Just finished 0.2

Man, that was excellent. It might be up there as one of my favorite Kingdom Hearts experiences. I don't regret purchasing this just for that (although I still have Back Cover to watch, too). Yasue and co were on top form with that gameplay.

And the story has me really hyped up for III. Please don't make me wait too long, Nomura.

Zen Aku

You can turn off all Flowmotion abilities in your command menu, so you don't accidentally activate it!

Thought I should mention it here, the Ability Ace seems tied to Proud/Critical mode as the trophy activated for me when I turned on EXP Zero. People on Standard mode have been unable to unlock it.

Flow motion is OP during half of the game... but get weaker later. You will use more combo and command later on. For the exploration flow is quite nice.. you will see on big open area.
This is what Im experiencing right now. If I don't use Flowmotion abilities then I feel like I'm a waddling duck most of the time. Struggling to chain combos together and not dealing enough damage (especially on Proud mode)

If I do use it. I feel like I'm using it wrong where it seem so unnatural. This is me.

*Bounce of wall, airslide, use Flowmotion ability, get hit by an enemy from behind*

Rinse and repeat.

Sure I'll win battles, but I also die to stupid things. Also camera is way too close. I get jumped on from behind by an enemy I didn't see coming.

jorgejjvr

Wow that was more in the end that I expected...

why is sora exactly going to Olympus coliseum? I thought yen sid said he needed to wake up someone, meaning ven

So glad 0.2 did not shy away from mentioning 3Ds relevance

Wow that was more in the end that I expected...

So glad 0.2 did not shy away from mentioning 3Ds relevance
sora lst most of his pwer

yensid said sora knows someone who lost his power and got it back(hercules) so he said he should see him.

presumably kh3 begins with Sora taking his mark of mastery test at olympus coliseum(and phil promoting him from junior hero finally)

zeemumu

So let me see if I've got this straight.

Spoilers for Back Cover and Unchained

Master of Masters gives them the books, shenanigans happen, and he gives one the keyblade with his eye in it and tells him to pass it down the line so it can view events, and then he will somehow send it back in time to make the book of prophecy, and this is the keyblade that Xehanort will eventually get.

At this same time, he knows that they can't prevent the darkness from consuming everything so he has Ava make a contingency plan by sending off as many keyblade wielders as she can to escape the destruction, then the keyblade war happens and it turns out that this all happened in a different realm (probably the realm of sleep based on the dream eater stuff and the stuff about it all being a dream)

Did I get all that right? Am I ready for KH3 now?

Famassu

I was positively surprised by quality of dialogue in Back Cover & 0.2. I mean, it's still not super good or anything. There's still a bit too much of all that "my friends are MUH POWER!" stuff and some of it is a bit non-sensical, but in less corny scenes I feel it was about as good as KH dialogue can be hoped to be at this point, considering all the... non-sensical, crazy stuff that is happening
I mean, when the protagonist comes up to some sort of phantoms images of her friends and then the protagonist talks to one of those phantoms about how he is still inside the one who possessed him and the other is actually still asleep in eternal slumber hidden in a chamber in a weird labyrinth of a castle and then the possessor enters the scenes by possessing the phantom and yet another mental projection of the friend who was possessed grabs the possessor to keep him from doing anything to the protagonist, I'm not sure if anyone could make better dialogue, lol

There was at least a more natural flow to it all most of the time that made the scenes less awkward to follow. I'd say the worst parts were mostly just Aqua talking to herself, some a bit weirdly cut/edited scenes and Mickey is as corny as ever (whenever he's around, the dialogue too often goes to that pep-talky "we can survive this together, with the Power of Friendship!!!!" type dialogue), but a lot of the other interactions are pretty decent.

It helps that the voice acting was also really good. Not that voice acting has generally been KH's weak point, but certain characters like Terra & Aqua have left something to be desired, which is absent here, both do a stellar job. I guess I'd say the dialogue is good enough to not get too much in the way of enjoying what is happening on screen. The stuff from around the last stretch of the last area until the end was (mostly) legitimately exciting & entertaining storytelling. Even
Sora's
appearance & time on screen was a bit less horrible than he has been in the past few games.

Never played a KH game so there's absolutely no way I start with this right?

You can but:

1) It's the worst place to start with if you care about experiencing the story in a way that makes any sense. If you don't care about the details you can jump in and take it as your usual anime good vs bad schlock.

2) There is only one big game included (3DS remaster) in this package and it's mostly considered ''ok'' by the fanbase. The new UE4 Demo/Ground Zeroes/Duscae is only 2 hours long or so.

3) 1.5+2.5 bundle that comes out in March is both the best place to jump in story wise and it gives way more bang for your buck. This collection has 1 full game and 1 ''demo'' for 60$ while the March bundle gives you 4 full games for 50$.

Azerare

Completed 0.2 on Proud today (post-patch). Actually was pretty fond of the boss battles. Would have liked the camera to be a bit further back, but otherwise I very much enjoyed the combat.
It's about the same. Just gotta manage curaga well. It makes some of the objectives based on certain finishers annoying.

Hey...questions...

So I've considered myself a fan of the KH series, I was there day one for the first game. I played KH2 when it came out, but there are still several KH games I have not played...

I wanna play the games in 2.8 for sure, but I feel I gotta get some of the previous ones done first. Should I bother playing Re: Chain of Memories, or just go into Birth By Sleep??

Luigi87

Hey...questions...

So I've considered myself a fan of the KH series, I was there day one for the first game. I played KH2 when it came out, but there are still several KH games I have not played...

I wanna play the games in 2.8 for sure, but I feel I gotta get some of the previous ones done first. Should I bother playing Re: Chain of Memories, or just go into Birth By Sleep??

While Re:CoM is a mainline title (in spite of it being card based combat), it is a difficult recommendation. A lot of it retreads on KH1, and you could probably just YouTube all the cutscenes. It's not a bad game, I just don't find it all that enjoyable, so if you want to do that and go right to Birth by Sleep, I would recommend that. BbS is a definite play before DDD (and then DDD before BbS0.2)

raven777

The biggest problem I have with critical mode is the lack of combo master, so the attacks whip a lot (like trying to hit those bats...) and it's annoying..

While Re:CoM is a mainline title (in spite of it being card based combat), it is a difficult recommendation. A lot of it retreads on KH1, and you could probably just YouTube all the cutscenes. It's not a bad game, I just don't find it all that enjoyable, so if you want to do that and go right to Birth by Sleep, I would recommend that. BbS is a definite play before DDD (and then DDD before BbS0.2)

I might just do that then. Everytime I tried playing reCoM, I remember just not enjoying the gameplay. I might wanna replay KH2 though, because I haven't done that one since it came out on PS2. I remember some, but not all of it.

If I wanna play games in their correct "order", should I watch the 358/2 cutscenes before KH2 or after?

I might just do that then. Everytime I tried playing reCoM, I remember just not enjoying the gameplay. I might wanna replay KH2 though, because I haven't done that one since it came out on PS2. I remember some, but not all of it.

If I wanna play games in their correct "order", should I watch the 358/2 cutscenes before KH2 or after?

After. 358/2 Days came out after KH2, and the story definitely spoils stuff from II in it.

If you just want to go by story order, 358/2 Days leads into KH2, but the story really relies on you having a strong understanding of that game's story.

Luigi87

There's debate on that, and I'm on that side that says after, but since you did play KH2 in the past, I think you could probably watch it before.

I personally think the HD collection order is best for someone just jumping in. Yeah, a few things in II get revealed a bit earlier by watching 358/2 Days first, but you at least get context to the ridiculous Org. XIII melodrama going on in II instead of wondering why you're supposed to care about any of those (literal) nobodies getting screen time.

I've you've played II already and just want a refresher, you could really go either way, though.

There's debate on that, and I'm on that side that says after, but since you did play KH2 in the past, I think you could probably watch it before.

Hm, interesting. I mean I remember most of major plot...I remember stuff about Roxas that was in KH2, I remember how it ends...sorta. lol Its little details I can't quite remember.

Played through 0.2 today and loved it. The game looks great and was a nice taste of what's to come when KH3 finally comes out.

I've been playing 3D all week, and then I got to that stupid
Anti Black Coat Nightmare boss
. I would get so close so many times just to have him gain massive chunks of his health back after draining mine or catching me in that draining move and then hitting me with something right as I get unstunned. I gave up for now and am going to play RE7 and come back to it, but any tips would be greatly appreciated!

peronmls

Anyone else feel like combat in .2 is still very stiff compared to KH2? The flow seems a bit off

Osaka games are stiff. Kh2 was nice and floaty for aerial reasons. BBS doesn't float. They suck you in towards enemies and hang you there. Doesn't not float or feel fluid. It just feels like i get pulled with every aerial animation.

Played through 0.2 today and loved it. The game looks great and was a nice taste of what's to come when KH3 finally comes out.

I've been playing 3D all week, and then I got to that stupid
Anti Black Coat Nightmare boss
. I would get so close so many times just to have him gain massive chunks of his health back after draining mine or catching me in that draining move and then hitting me with something right as I get unstunned. I gave up for now and am going to play RE7 and come back to it, but any tips would be greatly appreciated!

I had to exit and grind a few Dream Eater abilities so I could survive. Once More and Second Chance are vital for those last few bosses, and an extra Curaga doesn't go astray.

That gap closer Sora has at the beginning of his combo in KH2 was HUGE imo, they better bring that back in KH3. Also the aerial recovery didn't work at times for me in 0.2 for some reason, in KH2 I remember it working whenever I pressed the button.

desmax

I think my copy is borked

The opening of DDD is not playing at all, all I get is a black screen.
Pressing the options button sends me to the main menu, and then everything works fine.

Anyone else has this problem?

EDIT: While on topic, I do feel like KH 0.2 battles aren't as good as II.
It feels more like an evolution of BBS than anything.

Really enjoyed 0.2 and don't have any real issues with the combat, I just wish it was longer. But man, I think Sora irks me more and more with each passing KH title..At this point I really only care about Terra, Ven and Aqua seeing closure

Did anybody catch that stupid 4th wall breaking line in the final cutscene?

Spoiler tag, I guess, out of abundance of caution, but it's not really a spoiler
When Sora is in the Gummi ship and he's like "Be patient these things take time!"

Top Bottom