• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue |OT| May our hearts be our guiding key

Carbonox

Finally started playing this, and it's been really fun so far. It's been so long since I last played a KH game, that pretty much everything feels new and fresh. Aqua feels decent to control, and I like her arial moves. Magic feels really fun to use. The hard-lock seemed to unlock after an enemy dies, but I'm pretty sure in previous KH games the hard-lock used to just switch to the next enemy automatically? What gives? The block feels a bit stiff, and could be more responsive. But maybe I'll get used to it.

The reaction commands for ja spells and other stuff feels satisfying. Re story, her monologues feel good. The grim setting, the world and that music really makes it feel immersive. Let's see how it progresses.

Enjoying it so far!

giphy.gif

Edit: The music is so good!

I finally started this today too and I feel the same as you do. It feels great, looks great and sounds great. Nice little prologue. Aqua da gawdess.

Tampler

Managed to beat Julius using the Balloon spells mentioned earlier on both Sora & Riku. Literally had one HP left on Sora when the fight ended. Both were level 50.

Can't recall the last time I unlocked the secret ending of a KH game as well as beating the secret boss. Original KH2 I think? Anyways, I'm happy with that. Bring on 1.5 & 2.5 PS4!

I have a question regarding the DDDs Ability menu. If there's a blue dot in one of the holes, does that mean I got it? Or must it be the yellow/orange sparkly ones.

If it's blue then that means you have a Dream Eater that will give you that ability. If it's orange than that means you've unlocked it. The first ability section (e.g. Fire Screen etc.) isn't permanent, and depends on what Dream Eaters you have in your party. The second and third sections are permanent and completing those two will give you a trophy.

Carbonox

Finally finished 0.2. Had an almighty grin on my face during the last few cutscenes that lead up to KH3. Can't fucking wait now. Also looking forward to seeing what these vestaments are that Riku and Mickey obtained.

KdylanR92

Just finished this today and the only thing I could think of is why wasn't DDD just a straight up Riku game, you could've just thrown the plot relevant Sora's parts in as cutscenes.

NullKaze

Aqua being trapped in the realm of darkness for ten years is a representation of the Kingdom Hearts fanbase

And Donald and Goofy are a representation of all the other less deidcated KH fans. ("What were you up to Sora?" "Secret!")

And Sora is SE, for when KH3 eventually makes its return/debut. And nobody is there waiting for him.

Slater

Banned
Xigbar is the only redeemable thing about the shit story of DDD besides Riku's arc progression

"Let's hit these plot points in order"

Why did you have to be wasted as one of the 13 xehanorts shlock.

JayEH

Finally beat the secret boss in 0.2. My scrub ass was fighting it wrong for hours but it finally clicked towards the end.

silva1991

Just finished this today and the only thing I could think of is why wasn't DDD just a straight up Riku game, you could've just thrown the plot relevant Sora's parts in as cutscenes.

Because Sora's link attacks >>>>> Roku's

Symphony of Sorcery is the best Kingdom Hearts world ever made, and I will fight you to the death if you disagree.

I thought Riku's side was good, but Sora's side was just beyond gorgeous.

Xigbar is the only redeemable thing about the shit story of DDD besides Riku's arc progression

It's amazing that a series with a plot that takes itself as seriously as KH manages to have a character as hilariously self aware as Xigbar. It's great.

Slater

Banned
It's amazing that a series with a plot that takes itself as seriously as KH manages to have a character as hilariously self aware as Xigbar. It's great.
Him and the Master of Masters are both like that, it's like there from a diffirent better written series.

desmax

Implying
"Me? I'm already half Xehanort!"
isn't the greatest videogame quote of all time?

Exentryk

^ Yeah, feels satisfying when you pull off those powerful moves.

Anyway, finished the demo. Ending parts were great and made me really look forward to KH3!
I've realised that the story aspects about light, darkness, keys, doors, etc., are stuff that I don't really care about now. But I still like the interactions with the main characters (Sora, Donald, Goofy, Riku, Kairi), so that should be good enough.

Anyway, here is the report of 0.2. On to critical mode.

Exentryk

giphy.gif

Game is really a looker. Only thing I hate is how grass(and trees?) doesn't move at all in the first and the forest areas like 99% of games these days.

Forest music is so good.

It's a design choice most likely as the world is supposed to look dead and lifeless. But still, I don't expect that kind of flowing foliage movement even in KH3. It'd be nice though.

Just started the game. I normally like to play my games on the hardest difficulty but I was just wondering if it would be wiser to do a first run on standard.

Nose Master

Grinding? second chance? no

get this guy

300px-R_%26_R_Seal_%28Spirit%29_KH3D.png

second chance is literally the second option after the first "?" on teh right

6Bzy8gy.jpg

10 LP for "?" and another 10 for second chance.

I've wasted my life. I've had rseal for like half the game. Have been grinding out the trex.

I wish it surfaced the hidden skills :(

Are any of the unique low% eaters worth it? I've save summed a few and they seem eh outside of a higher rank.

Fj0823

DDD is great and awful at the same time.

I'm really enjoying this game.

My only complain is that Aerial Recovery NEVER works and the insane amount of Dream Eaters that prevent you from enjoying the world's visuals and music sometimes

NullKaze

It's a design choice most likely as the world is supposed to look dead and lifeless. But still, I don't expect that kind of flowing foliage movement even in KH3. It'd be nice though.
I don't know, we clearly see Aero and Fire spells interact with the environment in the KH3 trailers - specifically the very plush grassy area outside Rapunzel's Tower.

And looking over it, we clearly see the bushes move too.

Burbeting

Banned
I just wish I could mute the songs that are playing in the Dream Eater menus/minigames. They are grating, and I'd much rather listen to the theme of any world play in the background. It's worst in the Fantasia World.

Burbeting

Banned
LA
LA
LA-LA-LA-LA

;__;

I'm not sure how to progress towards Platinum Trophy from now. I've done all special portals and collected all treasures. Tried some Flickr Rush, but haven't star ranked everything. Haven't got all abilities either. What would be a good roadmap to do everything without burning out on the game.

Exentryk

I don't know, we clearly see Aero and Fire spells interact with the environment in the KH3 trailers - specifically the very plush grassy area outside Rapunzel's Tower.

And looking over it, we clearly see the bushes move too.

Looking at the KH3 trailers, yeah, there is some movement. I was hoping for something more flowing, but with their choice of foliage type, that might be good enough.

Just started the game. I normally like to play my games on the hardest difficulty but I was just wondering if it would be wiser to do a first run on standard.

You might tear your hair out over the final boss fight, but in general, the hardest mode always suited the Kingdom Hearts games more.

Finally ran through 0.2, and what a great time it was. The world is downright gorgeous, the combat shows promise, and the entire conclusion was a really nice bit of fanservice. I know some gaffers complained about the boss fights but I loved them all the same; KH fights are always a mess of a spectacle, and the transition to a modern HD console really lets them dial them up a notch. The game is just stunning to behold as you fight that final darkside and the final demon tide. (I did enjoy the fights as well, though I feel there's bit too much emphasis on block-counters.) Very hopeful for Kingdom Hearts 3 based on this.

Also, Ray Chase is an absolute delight. Hope he will return as The Master later on.

Hexa

Got through DDD yesterday. Not a fan of the Dream Eater system. Didn't really like the bosses either until TWTNW. Everything around TWTNW was cool though.
Finished .2 for the first time today on standard. It was incredible. Aqua is amazing. Super hyped for KH3. Wondering whether it would be a better idea to do all the objectives on standard mode first, or to go straight to a replay on critical. Any thoughts?

Top Bottom