• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD I.5+II.5 ReMIX |OT| Kingdom Hearts Final Port

Man, every time I play KHII in any form, I start appreciating it more and more. I'm not even one to care about facial animation, but it's waaaaay better in this game than I remember, though that may just be years of the lower tech handheld entries clouding my judgement there.

And I love the off the walls, bonkers ass world choices. One minute you're in a Steamboat Willie world complete with monaural sound with black and white visuals and the next, you're in a Pirates of the Caribbean world fighting pirates. Even if the latter isn't the best executed world in the series, the juxtaposition of Sora and the party against the realistic tone of Port Royal is exactly why I love this series. You just can't find this kind of thing in too many other crossovers.

Re:CoM is a lot of fun when you know how to play it correctly.

That and skipping ALL the Disney cutscenes

Pretty much exactly what I did, haha

Zimmy64

Do we know who the seven guardians of light are? One source I read claimed they were Sora, Riku,
Kairi
, Ventus, Terra, Aqua, and Mickey. Another source I read claimed we don't know yet.
It seems criminal to me to have Lea get a keyblade and not have him be one of the guardians especially because he's such a good representative for the Days cast. He deserves to get revenge and justice for Roxas and Xion (since I cannot see any way of bringing them back) against Xehanort just as much as Sora and any of the BBS trio.

Also anyone else have any guesses on the remaining members of the True Organization XIII. I think Vanitas is pretty much a given and I'm surprised he wasn't confirmed with the other six (there's no reason he cannot come back that I'm forgetting is there. IIRC he's in 3D). Other than that I don't want any members of the old organization back besides maybe Marluxia.

Famassu

Do we know who the seven guardians of light are? One source I read claimed they were Sora, Riku,
Kairi
, Ventus, Terra, Aqua, and Mickey. Another source I read claimed we don't know yet.
It seems criminal to me to have Lea get a keyblade and not have him be one of the guardians especially because he's such a good representative for the Days cast. He deserves to get revenge and justice for Roxas and Xion (since I cannot see any way of bringing them back) against Xehanort just as much as Sora and any of the BBS trio.

Also anyone else have any guesses on the remaining members of the True Organization XIII. I think Vanitas is pretty much a given and I'm surprised he wasn't confirmed with the other six (there's no reason he cannot come back that I'm forgetting is there. IIRC he's in 3D). Other than that I don't want any members of the old organization back besides maybe Marluxia.
Replace Terra with Lea and that should be about it for the good guys. Terra is currently still possessed by Xehanort so he's on the bad side, which will undoubtedly play into Xehanort"s ultimate fall since Terra still exists and struggles against Xehanort's control within Xehanort.

Bauer91

I'm getting my ass kicked in Re:Chain of Memories on the normal difficulty. Regular enemies don't give me much trouble but I have a hard time getting past the bosses. Currently stuck at the boss in Wonderland.

I thought I understood the mechanics of the game but the numbers on my cards are just too low to actually hit the boss most of the time, if I chain them with triangle I lose the first one and don't have enough, he quickly takes down my health which I can hardly get back because the number on the Potion card isn't very high either... It's just frustrating and not much fun, what am I doing wrong?

Ravek

Banned
Just finished watching the 358/2 movie for the first time.

Wow. The ending was incredibly sad in a way I was not expecting. I ended up liking Xion and thought Axel was a more interesting character than I originally found him to be when I played KHII back in the day.

LAA

I'm getting my ass kicked in Re:Chain of Memories on the normal difficulty. Regular enemies don't give me much trouble but I have a hard time getting past the bosses. Currently stuck at the boss in Wonderland.

I thought I understood the mechanics of the game but the numbers on my cards are just too low to actually hit the boss most of the time, if I chain them with triangle I lose the first one and don't have enough, he quickly takes down my health which I can hardly get back because the number on the Potion card isn't very high either... It's just frustrating and not much fun, what am I doing wrong?

Was struggling with ReCOM at the beginning on proud too.
All I can suggest is rely on Sleights for Sora definitely. Not sure potion is so useful anyway, it just reloads cards which are reloadable, so just quicker to do that than to reload manually. Hi-Potions/Elixirs/Mega Elixirs are the item cards to use really.
If you want to use the potion the, I'd stack the potion first with 2 other cards so you'll have a high number, use your potion and use your 2 attack cards, which you can reload back.
For Sleights, I think I went for Blitz as early as possible, (Don't even bother with sliding edge, thats what messed me up at the beginning, barely did much damage and used up my cards, better to just use single cards, or if you're desperate stack cards in a way that don't use that slight).
By the end game relied more on Sonic Blade/Ars Arcanum/Fatal Frame I think. Megaflare/Tornado are pretty good too, but more relied on them for XP grinding.

For Riku you have set decks, but I focused on causing duels early for the main part, dark mode for bosses.

I'm nearly done with the game, grinded to level 77 for Riku yesterday, 22 levels more to go and I have platinum...

Xliskin

Was struggling with ReCOM at the beginning on proud too.
All I can suggest is rely on Sleights for Sora definitely. Not sure potion is so useful anyway, it just reloads cards which are reloadable, so just quicker to do that than to reload manually. Hi-Potions/Elixirs/Mega Elixirs are the item cards to use really.
If you want to use the potion the, I'd stack the potion first with 2 other cards so you'll have a high number, use your potion and use your 2 attack cards, which you can reload back.
For Sleights, I think I went for Blitz as early as possible, (Don't even bother with sliding edge, thats what messed me up at the beginning, barely did much damage and used up my cards, better to just use single cards, or if you're desperate stack cards in a way that don't use that slight).
By the end game relied more on Sonic Blade/Ars Arcanum/Fatal Frame I think. Megaflare/Tornado are pretty good too, but more relied on them for XP grinding.

For Riku you have set decks, but I focused on causing duels early for the main part, dark mode for bosses.

I'm nearly done with the game, grinded to level 77 for Riku yesterday, 22 levels more to go and I have platinum...

I'm about to start the game and going for the plat any tips

and what is with the missable card ?

LAA

I'm about to start the game and going for the plat any tips

and what is with the missable card ?

Heaven have mercy on your for the plat... ;)
Well for the most part, you can play naturally, though for Sora's playthrough, you could try going for no continues/no running from battles (you shouldn't really anyway), some people think Riku's is easy for no continues (it is shorter), but I think it's more difficult, up to you.

As I said previously, Sora, use Sleights a lot, so when you level up, put it in Sleights whenever possible, and mainly AP afterwards, HP isn't much of a problem I found.
For Riku, Duels/Dark mode, put the points in Attack boost whenever possible and probably HP after that, didn't find Dark points really helpful.

As for missable card, I think the only one missable is a trick card? I think it's called. It's the disney symbol card that staggers bosses usually. I think it's very unlikely to not get one, think I got one on every boss, but if you're at the half way point and not got one yet, maybe look into it...

nemisis0

Man reaper is kicking my ass on the final part on critical shen he takes in all the coins, level 33 atm.

Edit: leveled up some and smashed him with no problems.

Xliskin

Heaven have mercy on your for the plat... ;)
Well for the most part, you can play naturally, though for Sora's playthrough, you could try going for no continues/no running from battles (you shouldn't really anyway), some people think Riku's is easy for no continues (it is shorter), but I think it's more difficult, up to you.

As I said previously, Sora, use Sleights a lot, so when you level up, put it in Sleights whenever possible, and mainly AP afterwards, HP isn't much of a problem I found.
For Riku, Duels/Dark mode, put the points in Attack boost whenever possible and probably HP after that, didn't find Dark points really helpful.

As for missable card, I think the only one missable is a trick card? I think it's called. It's the disney symbol card that staggers bosses usually. I think it's very unlikely to not get one, think I got one on every boss, but if you're at the half way point and not got one yet, maybe look into it...

As long as I don't need to playthrough it again I think I can handle it and I'm aiming for no flee and no continues in one playthrough is it that hard ??

Talk to Cid/Leon, you should get a book that you need to deliver to Merlin. After that go to Gizmo Shop roof and ring the bell 3 times. Afterwards talk to Cid.

Something like that.
Nope, nothing, I'm just sitting here waiting to do something and this game gives you no notifications like "do this.......So you could play the rest of the game"

Edit: something must have been wrong with my game, now all of a sudden it worked. Weird, almost started playing KH2 instead

Transport to Remembrance is the best normal enemy encounter in the series, imo.

That and probably Roxas make for good "Welcome to final mix, bitch!" moments.

that fucking roxas fight

I managed to do it in one try this time compared to several attempts on PS3, but still, fuck that fight and marluxia's as well

I forgot his name, but the one with the shield was laughably easy compared to the last time I fought him.

Oh wow so I stopped playing kh1, take a small break and booted up 2....Shouldn't have done that, it just looks, feels and plays so much better I doubt I'll go back to 1 anytime soon.

nemisis0

Oh wow so I stopped playing kh1, take a small break and booted up 2....Shouldn't have done that, it just looks, feels and plays so much better I doubt I'll go back to 1 anytime soon.

I finished 1 then jumped into 2 and was shocked on how much better it was, played one when I was a kid but never finished it. Nearly done with 2 and so far it has been much more enjoyable.

deanote666

I accidentally went into the equipment menu and opened Sora's gear but didn't change anything. Am I still good for the default equipment trophy?

Anyone know if the 15 hour trophy still pops after 100 hours?

I finished 1 then jumped into 2 and was shocked on how much better it was, played one when I was a kid but never finished it. Nearly done with 2 and so far it has been much more enjoyable.
I don't remember this Roxas stuff like at all....It's taking forever. I just went on IMDB to double check if I was really hearing Christopher Lee, was shocked to see kairi was voiced by the cheerleader from heroes as well.

Meowster

I accidentally went into the equipment menu and opened Sora's gear but didn't change anything. Am I still good for the default equipment trophy?

Anyone know if the 15 hour trophy still pops after 100 hours?
You're good. I accidentally did this myself with the gear and still got the trophy.

deanote666

Thanks for the response! Is your avatar from Logan's run, meowster?

For those playing Re:COM, is there anything added to it that wasn't in the GBA version?

I really, REALLY hated the battle system in it and don't want to go back unless there's something new besides better cut scenes.

Prompto

Banned
I remember back in 2006 my friend in middle school would brag about how Elder Scrolls: Oblivion looked so much better than KH2 in terms of graphics.

Playing through KH2 again is making me realize he was wrong all along. Game has aged really well visually.

Zomba13

I remember back in 2006 my friend in middle school would brag about how Elder Scrolls: Oblivion looked so much better than KH2 in terms of graphics.

Playing through KH2 again is making me realize he was wrong all along. Game has aged really well visually.

Oblivion might be one of the worst ageing games of that era. Just overly bloomy, every face looks bad and bloated, textures look weird. Just an ugly game and I played it on PC at max settings at the time.

KH2 definitely holds up. Obviously the original resolution is shit but even on an emulator the game looks great when at reasonable resolutions.

Skittles

The problem with KH1's combat is that it takes so long for it be diverse and somewhat fast paced. Yet when you reach that point it becomes extremely button smashey due to Aeroga being one of the most broken spells in video game history and counters being extremely easy and strong.

Thanks for the response! Is your avatar from Logan's run, meowster?

For those playing Re:COM, is there anything added to it that wasn't in the GBA version?

I really, REALLY hated the battle system in it and don't want to go back unless there's something new besides better cut scenes.

Marluxia gets a new third phase of his final boss fight, Zexion gets an actual boss fight in Reverse Rebirth, 100 Acre Wood is a full on minigame world ala KH and KHII, Riku has an entirely new dueling mechanic within his combat, and a bunch of new sleights. Cards based on 358/2 Days can be unlocked if you've watched the movie before playing, too.

I wish the games would return to the KH1 way of levelling up. Each Heartless gives off a few hundred EXP and it makes it a lot easier when you need tens of thousands of EXP to level up.

Gets so annoying in BBS when you need like 10,000 EXP and Unversed only give like 20 EXP.

Cincaid

Got my KH1 Platinum yesterday! Saved two trophies for last (complete game within 15 hours, and don't change equipment). This was not as easy as I first expected, even on Beginner. I facerolled everything but when I reached
End of the World
things went sideways. I skipped some worlds that aren't needed and skipped most fights so I was only level 42 when I arrived. It took several minutes to kill mobs and the first boss gave me huge issues. So I went back and grinded some levels, got some spare Defense/Power Up items, and came back as level 50 and things went smoother.

Anyway, before beginning on CoM I watched the 358/2 Days movie, since that apparently unlocks some cards in CoM. I watched the movie, went through the journals, but I'm not sure if I should receive some notification regarding unlocking the cards? Or how do I know that the cards are now "unlocked" in CoM before I begin?

Anyway, before beginning on CoM I watched the 358/2 Days movie, since that apparently unlocks some cards in CoM. I watched the movie, went through the journals, but I'm not sure if I should receive some notification regarding unlocking the cards? Or how do I know that the cards are now "unlocked" in CoM before I begin?

You should get them just by watching the movie, there's no notification saying they've unlocked in Re:CoM.

Did you get a notification for unlocking the 358/2 Days theme though? Since you went through the journals I assume you would have (some people didn't and it confused them since they didn't get the theme).

Cincaid

You should get them just by watching the movie, there's no notification saying they've unlocked in Re:CoM.

Did you get a notification for unlocking the 358/2 Days theme though? Since you went through the journals I assume you would have (some people didn't and it confused them since they didn't get the theme).

Yeah, I unlocked the theme and assumed I've done "what was needed". I just wanted some notification like "You unlocked some super awesome cards in CoM!", but I guess all is good. :)

Banzai

Yeah, I unlocked the theme and assumed I've done "what was needed". I just wanted some notification like "You unlocked some super awesome cards in CoM!", but I guess all is good. :)

From what I read you might need to click through the Reports on Days, too. No clue if that's true or not, though. But I watched Days as well and have yet to find any of the extra cards on CoM.

From what I read you might need to click through the Reports on Days, too. No clue if that's true or not, though. But I watched Days as well and have yet to find any of the extra cards on CoM.

You get them from Bounty Rooms in some of the worlds
Maverick Flare in Traverse Town, Midnight Roar in Neverland etc.

LAA

As long as I don't need to playthrough it again I think I can handle it and I'm aiming for no flee and no continues in one playthrough is it that hard ??

Not at all, I managed it.
Just try to save regularly, and especially before boss fights so if you die you won't have lost much progress and can try again quickly.

No fleeing doesn't really add any difficulty to anything, it's recommended not to flee anything anyway really, helps with increasing your level and you may get lucky and get some enemy cards along the way (I would try and kill enemies you're missing cards for for last too, I didn't pay attention to this so much during playthroughs).

When you come to the inevitable level grinding, you can flee when there's one enemy left, then you can fight the same encounter again, but save this for after you've beat the game, only time fleeing is helpful really.

Nico_D

After playing Revised Rebirth for two hours, I think I'm skipping it and watching the cutscenes from youtube. Chain of Memories was playable with decks you could edit and reorder but I'm annoyed in R/R of trying to find the right card in card duels (or to start one) and I'm always just a tad late. Story seems fine, tho.

Wasn't the biggest fan of the card mechanics in CoM either but got through it. And I really liked the story.

I'm working on my Normal difficulty playthrough on default equipment in KH1...

Just made it to Neverland.

Doing this on Easy reminded me what a piece of shit the Kingdom Key is. Length/deflect/critical *really* matter in KH1. I feel like I have better damage output on Proud mode at a lower Strength stat.
Kairi

I think we're going to see interesting stuff with both Terra and Saix - the games have been teasing a hidden anti-Organization agenda between Lea/Axel and Isa/Saix since Chain of Memories. I'd be really surprised if it were still a simple 7 vs. 13 in the game's final act - that's just the game's starting premise, I think.

And yes, Vanitas seems like a likely candidate to me.

Razmos

Doing this on Easy reminded me what a piece of shit the Kingdom Key is. Length/deflect/critical *really* matter in KH1. I feel like I have better damage output on Proud mode at a lower Strength stat.
I think we're going to see interesting stuff with both Terra and Saix - the games have been teasing a hidden anti-Organization agenda between Lea/Axel and Isa/Saix since Chain of Memories. I'd be really surprised if it were still a simple 7 vs. 13 in the game's final act - that's just the game's starting premise, I think.

And yes, Vanitas seems like a likely candidate to me.
Either that or a final showdown between
Lea and Saix

I hope
Lea
gets a new outfit in KH3

Stuart444

So on Kingdom Hearts 2, on normal difficulty, at level 19, I am trying to beat
Absent Zexion, the one in the underworld and it is such utter bullshit. Without reflect, I can have half or all of my health taken off when book world comes up (and if I mistime reflect, same thing happens - what's annoying is that when I think I have the timing down, he uses the move earlier or later than I expect so my reflect fails :( ) Then it seems like I have no way to defend against the books flying at me (the one they do during the early stages of the fight) since it can stunlock me in the air.

And of course trying to find him is annoying, as is using the command menu, finding the right unlock function while dealing with all the flying books. So frustrating, Even using the stunlock him with fire trick is annoying since one too many fires = no reflect for his book phase

Yeah yeah, I need to git gud but this fight is really unfair. Not like they even have that much health :/

So on Kingdom Hearts 2, on normal difficulty, at level 19, I am trying to beat
Absent Zexion, the one in the underworld and it is such utter bullshit. Without reflect, I can have half or all of my health taken off when book world comes up (and if I mistime reflect, same thing happens - what's annoying is that when I think I have the timing down, he uses the move earlier or later than I expect so my reflect fails :( ) Then it seems like I have no way to defend against the books flying at me (the one they do during the early stages of the fight) since it can stunlock me in the air.

And of course trying to find him is annoying, as is using the command menu, finding the right unlock function while dealing with all the flying books. So frustrating, Even using the stunlock him with fire trick is annoying since one too many fires = no reflect for his book phase

Yeah yeah, I need to git gud but this fight is really unfair. Not like they even have that much health :/

The Absent Silhouette battles always struck me as being about forcing you to learn certain mechanics rather than being about a raw contest of stats. Nothing in vanilla KH2 really requires you to use Reflect or Guard even on Proud difficulty. Not saying it isn't annoying, but also, generally you don't want to fight any of the Absent Silhouettes as early as possible. I'd wait until after Demyx/1000 Heartless/et cetera and then you'll find it a good deal easier and have many more tools in your repertoire.

Top Bottom