• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD I.5+II.5 ReMIX |OT| Kingdom Hearts Final Port

Vashetti

Banned
So any stat boosting items like AP, defence and strength ups I've been giving straight to Sora in KH2. Is that right? In KH1, it was pointless giving them to the others but I wanna make sure I'm doing this right this time.

Yup, pointless again giving them to the others.

I recently finished a Critical run of KH2 and after seeing the new abilities they added to KHFM, I want to do another playthrough of KH1. I was thinking of going with Proud (or whatever the hardest difficulty is) but is it fun like KH2FM Critical or is it just hard and I should pick Standard instead?

Thanks.
It's pretty fun, and doesn't really require grinding or anything. The weapon choice in the beginning means way more in KH1FM though, and will pretty much shape how smoothly the early game goes for you.

Cincaid

Wish we were able to skip cut scenes or speed up dialogue at some points.

In KH1 you can at least skip cutscenes by pressing Options > Skip. There are certain moments where it's just text dialogue though; those can't be skipped but rushed by mashing X usually. I'm replaying through KH1 on Beginner to get my last trophies (complete game under 15 hours + never change equipment), and skipping the cutscenes is crucial since they add to the timer (and also since I've already seen them).

LAA

Got worst parts of COM finally out of the way now. Only need to get Riku to 99 and it's done. Some really horrible grindy trophies in COM.

Only bad trophies I can think of coming next is from BBS. Command board specifically...

So any stat boosting items like AP, defence and strength ups I've been giving straight to Sora in KH2. Is that right? In KH1, it was pointless giving them to the others but I wanna make sure I'm doing this right this time.

Eventually you'll want to give some AP Ups to Donald and Goofy (which is also the case in KH1) but you should save that for well into the postgame - max out Sora first.

Got worst parts of COM finally out of the way now. Only need to get Riku to 99 and it's done. Some really horrible grindy trophies in COM.

Only bad trophies I can think of coming next is from BBS. Command board specifically...

Collecting all Enemy Cards in Re:CoM is just pure masochism.

BBS's Command Board stuff is easy, though. It's a reasonably fun minigame that is difficult to lose at once you know what you're doing (you can basically fuck over the enemy AI in that minigame amazingly hard all of the time).

I'd say the special heartless missions and the ice cream stuff are way more annoying. BBS basically strongly encourages you to do one easy-difficulty playthrough and one Critical playthrough to get all of the trophies (considering how unreasonable most of the superbosses are), which sucks. But the minigame stuff isn't awful.

Zomba13

Up to BF3 on Reverse/Rebirth now. Enjoying this muuuuuch more than CoM. I'm playing this on standard as opposed to CoM on Beginner and still enjoying this more. Except the floors where the game purposefully gave you shitty cards which made levelling up there a chore. But I like not having to worry about CP, I like being free to use enemy cards, I like the Dark Mode stuff. not a fan of the duels because they just take too long and winning doesn't seem worth it.

Definitely not going to try going after the trophies for this game.

Might start up BBS next and leave KH2 for last. Does BBS use the right stick for camera control now? I fired it up again on PPSSPP earlier and kind of forgot how the PSP didn't have a second stick and you did camera stuff with the L/R buttons.

Will also likely replay the Aqua stuff from 2.8. Would be nice if KH3 came out this year but I'm guessing next year at the earliest. I feel KH3 won't live up to my expectations though, I can't see how they will satisfying close out the "Dark Seeker Saga" and have each of the important characters get enough screen time while answering questions raised in stuff like Chi/X back cover. Also, Sora's KH3 hairstyle still suuuuuuucks.

Up to BF3 on Reverse/Rebirth now. Enjoying this muuuuuch more than CoM. I'm playing this on standard as opposed to CoM on Beginner and still enjoying this more. Except the floors where the game purposefully gave you shitty cards which made levelling up there a chore. But I like not having to worry about CP, I like being free to use enemy cards, I like the Dark Mode stuff. not a fan of the duels because they just take too long and winning doesn't seem worth it.

Definitely not going to try going after the trophies for this game.

Might start up BBS next and leave KH2 for last. Does BBS use the right stick for camera control now? I fired it up again on PPSSPP earlier and kind of forgot how the PSP didn't have a second stick and you did camera stuff with the L/R buttons.

Will also likely replay the Aqua stuff from 2.8. Would be nice if KH3 came out this year but I'm guessing next year at the earliest. I feel KH3 won't live up to my expectations though, I can't see how they will satisfying close out the "Dark Seeker Saga" and have each of the important characters get enough screen time while answering questions raised in stuff like Chi/X back cover. Also, Sora's KH3 hairstyle still suuuuuuucks.

Dark Mode always felt more straightforward to me in the original Chain of Memories, whereas it feels a bit trickier to pull off in Re:CoM. The card duels are an interesting idea for a mechanic (and pretty key for the final battle) but not incredibly fun in practice; good at adding basic variety to Riku's gameplay though.

The beginning of KH2 feels more and more awkward when it comes to pacing every time I play it. Roxas get's all the hate but Sora kinda isn't that good all the way until you get to Beast's Castle/Land of Dragons.

I don't hate it but I definately notice more and more that the dialogue is just weird and or full of exposition.

One thing that always bother me is the first encounter with Xigbar and the aftermath. First they want him to move out of the way... why exactly? Where the fuck are you supposed to be in a hurry for? The dialogue is so weird and makes no sense. Then when Xigbar leaves Sora takes out his member
ship card
for no reason. I mean there is a we gotta move the plot forward right now reason. You were in a hurry a second ago and now you start talking to yourself about your lame card. Also ''Only one me!'', RLMdidyoureadthescript?.jpg

What even is this?

Xux

Up to the The End of the World in KHFM. Pretty neat so far. Feels like all of the abilities added with FM are pretty OP and all of the Heartless added are mostly annoying. I think I'll beat all the games before I try to 100% any of them.

It would've been neat for 1.5 if they saved the recolors for after you seal the Hollow Bastion keyhole.

Still got chills from the scene where Sora stabs himself. I forgot how much I love this series.

Dark Mode always felt more straightforward to me in the original Chain of Memories, whereas it feels a bit trickier to pull off in Re:CoM. The card duels are an interesting idea for a mechanic (and pretty key for the final battle) but not incredibly fun in practice; good at adding basic variety to Riku's gameplay though.
Maybe I was over leveled or the fact that I was on Standard but I wrecked Riku's final boss without a single duel. Jafar Card and spamming Dark Aura pretty much destroyed him.

After 40 collective hours of CoM I think it's safe to say that I never want to play it again, at least not anytime soon. Definitely enjoyed my time with it, I liked Sora's portion a bit more than Riku's.

Zimmy64

Got the game of Friday and started KH1: FM. I've beat all the games on standard before and so I decided to do proud mode for KH1 and am unsure whether to do it for COM and KH2. I want to make sure I can do all the optional stuff they added to the final mixes without too much trouble. For KH1 I picked the staff and got rid of the sword and picked the standard level up path (left at noon). So far I've,

-Died 5-6 times on Guard Armor (before realizes that attacking his appendages is the best way to go)
-Died 7-8 times on Trickmaster (There was one attempt where Goofy and Donald blocked his approach to the fireplace. They died a ton and wasted a bunch of potions but he gave up and didn't light the torches which allowed me to win)
-Died 3-4 times on Cerberus (Easier than GA or TM)
-Died 1-2 times on Clayton (By far the easiest up to this point)
-Died 10-11 times on Guard Armor 2 (Eventually went for an all out offensive approach and that seemed to work. I took me a while to get the timing down for dodging the cannon attack)
-Didn't die at all on either form of Jafar (ridiculously easy)
-Didn't die on the first form of the parasite cage and died 2-3 times on the second form (In between Clayton and Cerberus in terms of difficulty )
-Died 2 times on Ursula and 8-10 times on Giant Ursula (Fuck Giant Ursula and the swimming controls, fuck lighting, fuck everything about this boss. Definitely the hardest so far)

In General then I'm only really worried at Maleficent, Riku, Ansem, and Xemnas. What's GAF's opinion on Proud mode for COM and KH2 giving what you can gather from my skill based on what bosses/how many times I've died so far?

Cincaid

Got the game of Friday and started KH1: FM. I've beat all the games on standard before and so I decided to do proud mode for KH1 and am unsure whether to do it for COM and KH2. I want to make sure I can do all the optional stuff they added to the final mixes without too much trouble. For KH1 I picked the staff and got rid of the sword and picked the standard level up path (left at noon). So far I've,

-Died 5-6 times on Guard Armor (before realizes that attacking his appendages is the best way to go)
-Died 7-8 times on Trickmaster (There was one attempt where Goofy and Donald blocked his approach to the fireplace. They died a ton and wasted a bunch of potions but he gave up and didn't light the torches which allowed me to win)
-Died 3-4 times on Cerberus (Easier than GA or TM)
-Died 1-2 times on Clayton (By far the easiest up to this point)
-Died 10-11 times on Guard Armor 2 (Eventually went for an all out offensive approach and that seemed to work. I took me a while to get the timing down for dodging the cannon attack)
-Didn't die at all on either form of Jafar (ridiculously easy)
-Didn't die on the first form of the parasite cage and died 2-3 times on the second form (In between Clayton and Cerberus in terms of difficulty )
-Died 2 times on Ursula and 8-10 times on Giant Ursula (Fuck Giant Ursula and the swimming controls, fuck lighting, fuck everything about this boss. Definitely the hardest so far)

In General then I'm only really worried at Maleficent, Riku, Ansem, and Xemnas. What's GAF's opinion on Proud mode for COM and KH2 giving what you can gather from my skill based on what bosses/how many times I've died so far?

That's... a lot of deaths. Not implying you're a bad player or anything, but just curious what's going on. Maybe your choice in the beginning is having a huge effect, and magic isn't powerful enough until later? I picked Shield (and dropped Sword) and rarely had any issues while playing through Proud KH1, or at least nowhere near the amount of deaths you're having. And believe me: I'm absolutely no die-hard KH expert. Are you going out of your way to find side-stuff and better items (and indirectly: more XP), or are you just blazing through the story?

Zimmy64

That's... a lot of deaths. Not implying you're a bad player or anything, but just curious what's going on. Maybe your choice in the beginning is having a huge effect, and magic isn't powerful enough until later? I picked Shield (and dropped Sword) and rarely had any issues while playing through Proud KH1, or at least nowhere near the amount of deaths you're having. And believe me: I'm absolutely no die-hard KH expert. Are you going out of your way to find side-stuff and better items (and indirectly: more XP), or are you just blazing through the story?

To be honest I've never played any of the games on Proud and I'm not the best player so don't worry about calling me a bad player. I am just blazing through the story. When I beat Giant Ursula on Sunday night I was level 32 (I think I may have done it in the wrong order also. All walkthroughs I see have Halloween Town before Atlantica). I'm definitely leaning towards a standard run for COM and KH2, but if I do a proud/critical run for KH2FM I'm definitely going with the shield.

Hobbun

I have heard there were quite a bit of bugs in this version. Either bugs that carried over from the original games and/or new ones. Has SE patched this yet? Or at least begun to?

Cincaid

I have heard there were quite a bit of bugs in this version. Either bugs that carried over from the original games and/or new ones. Has SE patched this yet? Or at least begun to?

There have been at least one patch since release, though I don't know the exact content. I soon have my Platinum in KH1 and I've experienced exactly zero bugs. The one major bug keep pointing at is a crash that can occur when saving your game in KH2, though I have no idea how frequent it is. According to this Reddit-thread it doesn't seem to happen that often.

Other than that it was mostly the speedrunner community that were angry that some exploits (or something?) did no longer work in this port, but I honestly don't know too much about it. Other than the save game crash I haven't heard about anything funky going on.

To be honest I've never played any of the games on Proud and I'm not the best player so don't worry about calling me a bad player. I am just blazing through the story. When I beat Giant Ursula on Sunday night I was level 32 (I think I may have done it in the wrong order also. All walkthroughs I see have Halloween Town before Atlantica). I'm definitely leaning towards a standard run for COM and KH2, but if I do a proud/critical run for KH2FM I'm definitely going with the shield.

Ah alright. :)

Well, I do think Proud mode gets a lot easier if you do optional stuff and go out of your way to find better items. Not only do you get better equipment, you also level up by killing more than you would by just following the story. The Kingdom Hearts game are quite secretive though, so it can be quite bothersome to find all that stuff without using a FAQ.

Hobbun

There have been at least one patch since release, though I don't know the exact content. I soon have my Platinum in KH1 and I've experienced exactly zero bugs. The one major bug keep pointing at is a crash that can occur when saving your game in KH2, though I have no idea how frequent it is. According to this Reddit-thread it doesn't seem to happen that often.

Other than that it was mostly the speedrunner community that were angry that some exploits (or something?) did no longer work in this port, but I honestly don't know too much about it. Other than the save game crash I haven't heard about anything funky going on.

There was an article by Polygon on March 24th that indicated a number of bugs, and a couple relatively big ones. But it looks like the article was updated and said SE indicated on Twitter that they would be fixing many of the existing problems on launch day. So maybe that was the patch you indicated?

Here is the link to the article:

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/14/14923060/kingdom-hearts-ps4-collection-bugs-issues

Cincaid

There was an article by Polygon on March 24th that indicated a number of bugs, and a couple relatively big ones. But it looks like the article was updated and said SE indicated on Twitter that they would be fixing many of the existing problems on launch day. So maybe that was the patch you indicated?

Here is the link to the article:

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/14/14923060/kingdom-hearts-ps4-collection-bugs-issues

Yeah, I think the patch did solve a lot of issues (except the worst one; the save game crash in KH2). It seems it mostly focused on some side-effects of the game running at 60fps instead of 30fps + other fixes. Also keep in mind that the Polygon article is based on a list of bugs from the speedrunner community, which in most cases won't affect anyone outside of that community.

Yeah, I think the patch did solve a lot of issues (except the worst one; the save game crash in KH2). It seems it mostly focused on some side-effects of the game running at 60fps instead of 30fps + other fixes. Also keep in mind that the Polygon article is based on a list of bugs from the speedrunner community, which in most cases won't affect anyone outside of that community.

Yeah, the only other glitches present if I recall are in KH2. KH1 has some issues where sound clips are absent or not as good as the original.

• The final boss' QTE doesn't work sometimes.
  • You have to press triangle multiple times to drop medallions in the Grim Reaper boss fight in Port Royal
  • Save crashing (rare)
I haven't encountered the save crash bug in my playthrough but the Grim Reaper change is annoying. Makes it so you have to waste a lot more time with the QTE and you're completely open for attack.

LAA

Collecting all Enemy Cards in Re:CoM is just pure masochism.

BBS's Command Board stuff is easy, though. It's a reasonably fun minigame that is difficult to lose at once you know what you're doing (you can basically fuck over the enemy AI in that minigame amazingly hard all of the time).

I'd say the special heartless missions and the ice cream stuff are way more annoying. BBS basically strongly encourages you to do one easy-difficulty playthrough and one Critical playthrough to get all of the trophies (considering how unreasonable most of the superbosses are), which sucks. But the minigame stuff isn't awful.

Ah yeah the ice cream stuff... I would easily swap that for the grinding stuff though in ReCOM though.
Interesting about the AI, don't recall beating them all the time preciously.
The main problem though...is you need to do it 3x... with all the mini games too... Maybe even all the bosses? And the minigames in particular, while not bad at all, aren't great enough to make me pleased to do them 3x.

Hobbun

Is the save game crash in KH2 something you’ve experienced often?

Cincaid

Is the save game crash in KH2 something you’ve experienced often?

So far I've only played KH1 and I'm playing them in order, so after KH1 it's Chain of Memories before I hop on KH2. :)

If there's not a patch before I start KH2 I'll just make sure to save often, even though it seems the crash is quite rare, to save me from potential head ache. But my experience with KH1 at least is almost flawless regarding performance. Some have noted that certain sound effects are not as good as previous versions, but I honestly didn't even know about it until I read about it online (and I'm always playing with headphones, so I should notice if they were downright awful). I guess I'm not comparing the versions side by side that some seem to do.

Zimmy64

I'm really excited to play Re:Com as I've only played the GBA original. It's the easiest game to break and IIRC Reverse/Rebirth is more or less the most important single story in the series. It recontextualizes the original Kingdom Hearts and Sora's story in Chain of Memories.It has a significant impact on the later story bits in KH2 and 358/2 days. It also influences the plot of 3D through Riku Replica's appearance. It really is, in my mind, the start of KH's complex story fuckery that really goes off the deep end in KH2 (which I love but I can understand the arguments against it). Replaying KH1 I've forgotten how simple the story is while still being satisfying. There are basically only four "layers" to the story.

1. The layer of the individual Disney Worlds which follow the individual movies (with some exceptions. Atlantica looking at you) and are pretty simple to understand
2. The layer of Maleficent and the league of villains trying to kidnap the princesses of heart to open the final keyhole to.....take over the worlds I guess? I'm not really clear on her motivations. I cannot remember if it was to take over the worlds or destroy them or just because she's evil.
3. The layer of Sora looking for Riku and Kairi as well as Goofy and Donald trying to find the King
4. The layer of Ansem Seeker of Darkness operating and orchestrating everything behind the scenes explained in Ansem reports and explained in the very end.

The only place where KH1 gets complicated is when the layers intersect with each other or other games. It's no coincidence that Riku's story introduces the most complications when it's the intersection of 2, 3, and 4 (as well as Reverse/Rebirth). Ansem SOD's story involves not only 4 but the intersection of 4, KH2, BBS, and 0.2.

Razmos

So.. How come King Mickey doesn't have any sort of reaction to Ansem's apprentice being called
Xehanort, And looking like Terra
?

I get that KH2 came out before birth by sleep and they might not have had it all planned out yet.. but the scene just before this, added just for the final mix version, very heavily hints at Aqua, Ventus and
Terra-Xehanort
so I'm surprised that this gaping plot hole is just left open.

Is it ever stated that Mickey lost his memory of these events? 0.2 and DDD suggest otherwise

gdt

Yo KH2 Cerberus Cup is no joke. It's hard as hell to take these guys down fast enough. I make it to the end no problem but with nowhere near enough time to take down Cerberus.

NullKaze

So.. How come King Mickey doesn't have any sort of reaction to Ansem's apprentice being called
Xehanort, And looking like Terra
?

Mickey never met Terra and I guess Xehanort might not be an uncommon name in the KH-verse. At least, not uncommon enough that you can't assume people are possessed by old men on name alone...

Yo KH2 Cerberus Cup is no joke. It's hard as hell to take these guys down fast enough. I make it to the end no problem but with nowhere near enough time to take down Cerberus.
Magnet+Thunder is your friend. Wisdom Form is your other friend.

You can use Wisdom Thunder to take down Cerberus at the end in about 1.5 minutes so save that much time. (if you're doing a level 1 run. Otherwise, I assume it's much faster)

Just downloaded the game and starting KH1 today. I've kept away from any footage until now. That 60 fps, that remastered soundtrack, I'm in heaven.

I'm really excited to play Re:Com as I've only played the GBA original. It's the easiest game to break and IIRC Reverse/Rebirth is more or less the most important single story in the series. It recontextualizes the original Kingdom Hearts and Sora's story in Chain of Memories.It has a significant impact on the later story bits in KH2 and 358/2 days. It also influences the plot of 3D through Riku Replica's appearance. It really is, in my mind, the start of KH's complex story fuckery that really goes off the deep end in KH2 (which I love but I can understand the arguments against it). Replaying KH1 I've forgotten how simple the story is while still being satisfying. There are basically only four "layers" to the story.

1. The layer of the individual Disney Worlds which follow the individual movies (with some exceptions. Atlantica looking at you) and are pretty simple to understand
2. The layer of Maleficent and the league of villains trying to kidnap the princesses of heart to open the final keyhole to.....take over the worlds I guess? I'm not really clear on her motivations. I cannot remember if it was to take over the worlds or destroy them or just because she's evil.
3. The layer of Sora looking for Riku and Kairi as well as Goofy and Donald trying to find the King
4. The layer of Ansem Seeker of Darkness operating and orchestrating everything behind the scenes explained in Ansem reports and explained in the very end.

The only place where KH1 gets complicated is when the layers intersect with each other or other games. It's no coincidence that Riku's story introduces the most complications when it's the intersection of 2, 3, and 4 (as well as Reverse/Rebirth). Ansem SOD's story involves not only 4 but the intersection of 4, KH2, BBS, and 0.2.

Yeah, Reverse/Rebirth is pretty much where KH's trademark plot fuckery begins. Thankfully, it kickstarted a character arc for Riku that came to it's logical conclusion in 3D.

Also, playing Re:CoM made me realize just how much foreshadowing there was for KHII in there.

Psxphile

Just got sonic blade from Cloud in KH1, I equipped it yet.....Can't get it to proc in battle? Is there a trick to it?

In KH1, Sora's "limit breaks" proc depending on the distance from a targeted enemy and whether or not they're grounded or airborne, if I recall correctly. You also need enough MP to activate but I'm sure you're aware of that already.

I'm stuck..in KH1.....Help?

I locked the door to wonderland and deep jungle.
Then went to Coliseum and beat cerebus.

Went back to traverse town and talked to Leon who told me to lock the doors.

But now I have no other worlds to go to? How do I advance?

I'm stuck..in KH1.....Help?

I locked the door to wonderland and deep jungle.
Then went to Coliseum and beat cerebus.

Went back to traverse town and talked to Leon who told me to lock the doors.

But now I have no other worlds to go to? How do I advance?

Talk to Cid/Leon, you should get a book that you need to deliver to Merlin. After that go to Gizmo Shop roof and ring the bell 3 times. Afterwards talk to Cid.

Something like that.

Ok, so I'm in Traverse Town in KH1 and I saw a cutscene I cannot remember ever seeing. It was Riku waking up in Hollow Bastion with no voice acting. Was that a final mix addition? Are there other new scenes in KH1 beyond this one and the Mysterious Figure?

Luigi87

Ok, so I'm in Traverse Town in KH1 and I saw a cutscene I cannot remember ever seeing. It was Riku waking up in Hollow Bastion with no voice acting. Was that a final mix addition? Are there other new scenes in KH1 beyond this one and the Mysterious Figure?

Yes and yes.

It's unfortunate that they didn't go and dub the FM scenes in 1.5 like they did with the 2FM scenes in 2.5

Yeah, there's a few new ones, mostly involving Riku.

Yes and yes.

It's unfortunate that they didn't go and dub the FM scenes in 1.5 like they did with the 2FM scenes in 2.5

I will never understand why since Riku is the only voice they needed (for HB+later new scene) and they had to record scenes for Days with him anyway. Also the actors in both Japanese and English can easily pull off young Riku voice.

Top Bottom