• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX |OT| Press to pay respects

Oh really? I'm using every single AP plus on Sora so far too, so I have about 80 AP by now and I love how I can equip basically everything.

I'm not sure if I should keep neglecting Donald and Goofy.

Yeah, Critical Mode starts you out with 50AP, and each AP increase from leveling up is 3 instead of the regular two.

For other characters, don't worry. The cap for AP is 210, I believe, and you'll hit that pretty quick if you're using AP ups on Sora. You can use the rest on DONGOOF after that.

you start with 50. i was blown away

*leaves exp zero unticked*

of course, I'm not that crazy haha.

Yeah, Critical Mode starts you out with 50AP, and each AP increase from leveling up is 3 instead of the regular two.

For other characters, don't worry. The cap for AP is 210, I believe, and you'll hit that pretty quick if you're using AP ups on Sora. You can use the rest on DONGOOF after that.

Nice, thanks. I was worried that I was screwing up but I'll get that max AP haha.

Doesn't the 50AP and extra damage make the game easier than Proud Mode? the only disadvantage I hear is how I get half health but that doesn't seem that important.

of course, I'm not that crazy.

Doesn't the 50AP and extra damage make the game easier than Proud Mode? the only disadvantage I hear is how I get half health but that doesn't seem that important.

Critical is not "harder" than Proud, it's more like a different way to play. Even on Proud mode, you can just gorilla your way through most of it (just attack, heal, repeat)

On Critical, you have to really use your skills and abilities (particularly Reflect Guard))

Caladrius

Having a lot of trouble finsihing off Data Axel. Have to finish him ofg while the floor isn't on fire and I'm having trouble goading him into making an opening.

EDIT: And as usual, complaining on the internet solved the problem.

What in the hell? Why would anyone go out of their way to make that many lucky rings? There's no way that's practical nor necessary.

Well, it helps to get all the materials, since to get the platinum you also have to get all the collection bonuses (collect 30 of these, collect 25 of those, etc...)

Also helps if you are trying to make Power Ups or Guard Ups

Exactly. If you want to grind stat ups and the highest-tier accessories it becomes very useful

Caladrius

I beat him using exclusively Sonic Rave... same with Roxas, btw.

He's quite exploitable with reflect+MP Rage too. You can just reflect his "Get back!" attack up until he busts out his super move. If you can reliably dodge that and block his regular attacks he's pretty much dead within 3 minutes.

That was the 'real' start of the convolution. Everything beforehand was kinda whatever, but that was just...why.

It's also a rather major cop-out on the biggest twist in the first game.

Falk

that puzzling face
edit: spoil at your own risk

Hooded guy -> Ansem ->
Actually Ansem's heartless
->
Actually wasn't Ansem, was Xehanort('s heartless)
->
Not Xehanort, actually Terra-possessed-by-Xehanort('s Heartless)

I CAN'T EVEN

edit@above: oh right hahahahahah

Someone needs to make a relationship diagram of everything from
Vanitas and Ventus to Sora and Kairi to Roxas and Namine to Xion not to mention Xehanort to Terra to Ansem SoD/Xemnas to Riku looking like Ansem Xehanort Terra that ends with Sora being his own grandpa

vypek

edit: spoil at your own risk

Hooded guy -> Ansem ->
Actually Ansem's heartless
->
Actually wasn't Ansem, was Xehanort('s heartless)
->
Not Xehanort, actually Terra-possessed-by-Xehanort('s Heartless)

I CAN'T EVEN

edit@above: oh right hahahahahah
Seriously? Was it that was in original Kh2 or explained in a different game? Things are so convoluted to me that it makes me not want to buy the 2.5 remix or even bother with 3

Falk

that puzzling face
makes me not want to buy the 2.5 remix or even bother with 3

You'd be doing yourself a disservice. The games are (I'm a little biased) top of the ARPG genre and the story, in its little contained bits, is reasonably easy enough to follow as long as you either don't question it too hard, or let things sink in a little.

If anybody can explain what happened at the end of KH3D I will eat my own hat.

Old man Xehanort planned for everything including sending himself back in time to his younger self and gave himself ridiculous powerups all for the sake of making the X Blade eventually.

tldr:
Time Travel and plot holes

Kinsei

Banned
Seriously? Was it that was in original Kh2 or explained in a different game? Things are so convoluted to me that it makes me not want to buy the 2.5 remix or even bother with 3

All of that was in the original KH2 except the
Terra possessed be Xehanort
bit. That was explained in BbS.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Get over it. Buy the games, enjoy them. Just turn your brain off in regards to overall 'plot'

Basically, just treat these games the way you should treat most Japanese game now: The plot is a vehicle for gameplay.

Tales Series, Ys, KH, even recent Final Fantasy games are like this.

The plot is just dumb and doesn't really make any sense. But, the games are so damn fun to play.

Lightning

Banned

What's the max Magic, Defense, Strength stats can go do you happen to know?

What's the max Magic, Defense, Strength stats can go do you happen to know?

If you count using power/guard/magic ups, you can go up to around 160 or so.

BUT!!

After 80, each point counts as 1/4 of a point. So, increasing your attack more than 80 or 90 doesn't really do much for you.

If you increase your magic/def/atk to 80, nothing can stand up to you anyway, so unless you ABSOLUTELY LOVE Kingdom Hearts, not much point.

Lightning

Banned
If you count using power/guard/magic ups, you can go up to around 160 or so.

BUT!!

After 80, each point counts as 1/4 of a point. So, increasing your attack more than 80 or 90 doesn't really do much for you.

If you increase your magic/def/atk to 80, nothing can stand up to you anyway, so unless you ABSOLUTELY LOVE Kingdom Hearts, not much point.
Would be pretty cool to take revenge on the Data's with uber stats. Doubt I'll have the patience for that though.

Would be pretty cool to take revenge on the Data's with uber stats. Doubt I'll have the patience for that though.

That's what I did. I got to about 85 on all stats, with accessories or course, and found that they weren't very hard.

But, I was on Critical Mode, so increasing defense is probably a waste of time. By that point, everyone will knock you down to 1 HP in 2 or 3 hits anyway.

The Lamp

What the hell this Ansem plot twist...hahahah
Its funny because fans actually theorized the plot twists in kh2 by analyzing trailers and snippets of lore way before it came out, and same happened with BBS.

Also the plot makes sense. It's ridiculous but it makes sense. Fans have been theorizing the plot circles in this game for at least a decade now, and the games have concretely tied up the loose ends. It's not a mystery.

All that's left is concluding this Xehanort saga.

Disclaimer: I have not played 3D

Lightning

Banned
That's what I did. I got to about 85 on all stats, with accessories or course, and found that they weren't very hard.

But, I was on Critical Mode, so increasing defense is probably a waste of time. By that point, everyone will knock you down to 1 HP in 2 or 3 hits anyway.
By that point it wouldn't matter much as you will fight the Data's to max your stats. Doing it manually would take far too long.

Lightning

Banned
Lol see my post above about getting full Lucky Rings...

Yeah, it did take a while ;)
You did it manually? You would need to make Mythril Crystals, Mythril Gems, use the Bulky Vendor trick for tonnes of Serenity Crystals. Fuck that's heaps of grinding, even with Lucky Rings.

You did it manually? You would need to make Mythril Crystals, Mythril Gems, use the Bulky Vendor trick for tonnes of Serenity Crystals. Fuck that's heaps of grinding, even with Lucky Rings.

Well, with full Lucky Rings it's basically 50-75% drop for everything. 5 minutes grinding a room gets like 20 or 30 of whatever item you want.

This is also why I love Podcasts. As nice as KH music is, it's not THAT nice after a while...

Caladrius

Is there an "easy" way to counter Xaldin's Aeroga spam?

The data version keeps killing me with it. If I miss even one he chains them together and almost always reduces me to 1HP, which usually leaves me open for the kill.

Is there an "easy" way to counter Xaldin's Aeroga spam?

The data version keeps killing me with it. If I miss even one he chains them together and almost always reduces me to 1HP, which usually leaves me open for the kill.

Which attack is that, exactly? Like, what does he do? (sorry for the dumb question)

Caladrius

Is that the attack where he shoots a big wind ball at you three times?

No, he erects a Green field around himself that reduces regular attacks to scratch damage and cuts huge chunks out of your HP on contact. He then teleports on top of you in order to hit you with it.

Some holes and incosistencies aside (like Donald and Goofy not recognizing the Mysterious Tower in KH2) I find the story of the KH series fascinating on paper and it really does have its moments but I think the real issue at times is how the story is told.

Too many times it is tell instead of show, often with unneeded exposition that could have been told more effectively in a cutscene or something. For example, I really disliked how in KH2 it was Yen Sid who goes on a long explanation about who Nobodies and OrgXIII is instead of introducing them to Sora in a more meaningful way.
Also, often times it's like they are confused for who the story is and how they should write it. In some games, the dialogue can be written in a very good, meaningful way (look at the BBS secret ending for example) but the second it goes to a friendship speech of how "My friends are my power" my eye sockets can barely contain my eyes. Like, there are a lot of ways to convey the sentiment of friendship that is not that obnoxious and barf inducing. It goes from complex to basic from one scene to the other.

"Alright, we have a dark tale about murder, illegal experiments, idenitity theft and a war that ravaged the entire known world... Oh wait, I forgot we have to market it to 5 years olds too."

vypek

You'd be doing yourself a disservice. The games are (I'm a little biased) top of the ARPG genre and the story, in its little contained bits, is reasonably easy enough to follow as long as you either don't question it too hard, or let things sink in a little.

I have some downtime coming so maybe I will get it or wait until its cheaper since I have other games to play as well. Maybe it would be best to just not think on what is being presented and just go with it. I'll consider it.

All of that was in the original KH2 except the
Terra possessed be Xehanort
bit. That was explained in BbS.

Haven't played BBS but didn't recognize most of that info. Guess I've missed more than I realized when I played it years and years ago.

Get over it. Buy the games, enjoy them. Just turn your brain off in regards to overall 'plot'

Thinking about it but I never really like to just stop thinking about a plot or ignore stuff. The game is fun regardless so I could try picking it up and ignoring all the true story elements and just play it for the sake of fun. But maybe I should hold out for a full collection on PS4.

The Lamp

Some holes and incosistencies aside (like Donald and Goofy not recognizing the Mysterious Tower in KH2) I find the story of the KH series fascinating on paper and it really does have its moments but I think the real issue at times is how the story is told.

Too many times it is tell instead of show, often with unneeded exposition that could have been told more effectively in a cutscene or something. For example, I really disliked how in KH2 it was Yen Sid who goes on a long explanation about who Nobodies and OrgXIII is instead of introducing them to Sora in a more meaningful way.
Also, often times it's like they are confused for who the story is and how they should write it. In some games, the dialogue can be written in a very good, meaningful way (look at the BBS secret ending for example) but the second it goes to a friendship speech of how "My friends are my power" my eye sockets can barely contain my eyes. Like, there are a lot of ways to convey the sentiment of friendship that is not that obnoxious and barf inducing. It goes from complex to basic from one scene to the other.

"Alright, we have a dark tale about murder, illegal experiments, idenitity theft and a war that ravaged the entire known world... Oh wait, I forgot we have to market it to 5 years olds too."

They just woke up from a slumber that had to manually rearrange all their memories. It's not impossible that they didn't recognize it because their memories are fucked up.

Famassu

I agree fully. The story actually does have its enjoyable aspects (especially on an idea level, often less so when you have to watch Xion & Roxas eating sea-salt ice cream for the 358th time), only marred by often horrible dialogue with its Friendship is Power pep talks and needlessly long ramblings of the villains. All in all, stuff like Riku's progression from BBS/1 to Dream Drop Distance is cool to follow throughout the games, Xion's role in Roxas' life & her ultimate fate is enjoyably tragic, all of CoM's story of the Organization XIII trying to break Sora's will while there's a power struggle within the ranks of the organization is decently intriquing etc. I even think that the big
time travel
twist of Dream Drop Distance isn't quite as horrible as people claim it is
(I don't think it's as much traditional time travel as it is Xehanort finding a way of kind of summoning the "spirits" of all past incarnations of himself to the future when the time is right and he has found vessels for them. It's really not all that different from a lot of fiction having some ritual that can resurrect some ancient evil)
. It's not good writing, but despite recquiring a retcon or a few, I'm hopeful it will lead to a pretty fun & epic finale.

aravuus

Just beat Ventus story. I hate the final boss as much as the final boss of KH2.
It was annoying since you could not just restart the context sensitive part.
The trick is
hold R1 and then X, it will trigger the minigame and your focus should never go to zero.

Yeeah, it was pretty dumb imo. Thankfully it was stupid easy when I realized that
lockshotting triggers the minigame.

Now I'm playing as Terra and dang he feels slow lol. BBS has been very enjoyable so far even though even it doesn't touch KH1 or 2.

The worst part is, thanks to Kingdom Hearts 3D, that's not even the most retarded Ansem related plot twist.

Fuck yes I can't wait to see how crazy things get in KH3 lmao

I genuinely really enjoyed the story in KH2 too, it was nonsensical and convoluted but so much fun

But damn does it take a nose dive in DDD

Skilletor

About 2hrs to get to sora after skipping all of the cutscenes. Playing on Proud mode for this run. Been forever since I played, so wasn't feeling up for critical mode.

Looking forward to endgame stuff.

Now I'm playing as Terra and dang he feels slow lol. BBS has been very enjoyable so far even though even it doesn't touch KH1 or 2.

I personally think BBS is the best game in the series as far as story and game mechanics (combat and command system) go but KH2 has a far better presentation and richer, more diverse worlds. But if I had to recommend someone to play just a single KH game I'd say to go for either KH2 or BBS.
KH1 has not aged that well I'm afraid. Story, while straightforward, has incredibly basic and boring dialogue (otherwise known as the Ansem "Darkness" drinking game) and it feels sort of clunky. Also, it really doesn't represent the rest of the series well at all.

However, I dunno if I am the only one who thinks this, but what I like about KH1 is that it has a certain "Squaresoft", rather than "Square Enix" feel to it if that makes any sense. Like, you could tell that this and, say, Chrono Cross were made close to each other.

aravuus

I personally think BBS is the best game in the series as far as story and game mechanics (combat and command system) go but KH2 has a far better presentation and richer, more diverse worlds. But if I had to recommend someone to play just a single KH game I'd say to go for either KH2 or BBS.
KH1 has not aged that well I'm afraid. Story, while straightforward, has incredibly basic and boring dialogue (otherwise known as the Ansem "Darkness" drinking game) and it feels sort of clunky. Also, it really doesn't represent the rest of the series well at all.

However, I dunno if I am the only one who thinks this, but what I like about KH1 is that it has a certain "Squaresoft", rather than "Square Enix" feel to it if that makes any sense. Like, you could tell that this and, say, Chrono Cross were made close to each other.

I'm pretty sure most of my love towards KH1 comes from pure nostalgia and the fact that it was the game that introduced the young me to my future favorite genre, JRPGs. The story is, compared to KH2, boring, the gameplay is slow and feels a bit clunky and I personally enjoy the more straightforward level design of KH2 more than KH1's mazes.

But still I find myself replaying it once or twice a year.

kirby2096

My CE is here, glad to see the product arrived in perfect condition, though the shipping box only slightly larger than the game itself, any damage to it would have transferred directly to the CE.

Kinsei

Banned
God damn, it seems like Cerberus knows you're on a timer in the Cerberus cup. I finally managed to do it with a few seconds left, but man was him playing keep away really annoying.

Does going anti during that cup count towards the trophy? I must have activated it at least 5 times during my attempts so it would suck if it didn't.

Top Bottom