• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX |OT| Press to pay respects

Psxphile

It was? I did it on my JP HD playthrough.

You go there, there's like one or two. Then out of the blue there's a billion of them. I always thought it was supposed to be some kind of intentional easter egg/gag.

Original FM had it removed (at least, I never saw it like in Vanilla). Apparently ReMix put it back in but with caveats: a) doesn't spawn as much, and b) defeated enemies only drop HP orbs instead the MP orbs. So you can't abuse the EXP boosting abilities anymore since you have to be at 50% and/or 25% health for them to activate.

Falk

that puzzling face
But what did they drop? In the original KH2 they drop MP balls so you can spam Magnega while in EXP Chance and level up like crazy. In FM they drop HP balls to screw with your EXP/MP.

I went there yesterday, there was a single one of them but it dropped HP balls.

Whoops, you're right. I'm misremembering what it was like pre-FM.

Luigi87

Eff it, it took two uses of Mickey, but I beat Xaldin.
... I wonder how the hell I will stand a chance against him at lv.1 in his Data rematch <_<

Edit: I know I can beat story Xaldin without Mickey, but... ugh, I've been on this fight too long, I want to move on.

How hard is Critical on Birth by Sleep? I only ever did Proud mode on the PSP (played it multiple times, but never did Critical lol). I have heard level 1 Critical is annoyingly unbalanced, but how about just regular Critical?

Seda

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

wtzgU.gif

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I've beaten the game already, gotten back to the end stage. Time to do the extra shit. I'm already at level 99, and what i didn't realize was that the drive forms are artificially capped at 6 until you get final form and then you can level the rest up to 7. WTF!?

MY MAIN PROBLEM GUYS IS FINDING ORICHALUM. IF YOU CAN TELL ME A GOOD PLACE TO GET THEM, OR A RECIPE SO I CAN SYNTHESIZE THEM, IT WOULD BE A GREAT HELP

Caladrius

How hard is Critical on Birth by Sleep? I only ever did Proud mode on the PSP (played it multiple times, but never did Critical lol). I have heard level 1 Critical is annoyingly unbalanced, but how about just regular Critical?

Not too bad so long as you make sure to grind a few levels each world.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It's retroactively hilarious, but I never bought the whole "
Nobodies can't feel anything
" guff to begin with.

Wow, either I got better or Critical isn't as difficult as I remember. Took Demyx down in one go.

It's retroactively hilarious, but I never bought the whole "
Nobodies can't feel anything
" guff to begin with.

Same.
The CoM Org. XIII members were some of the most expressive (original) characters in the series. It was weirder for them to not have hearts.

Oh, it's the... "Limit" command, not....the other "Limit" command (the party versions).

x_x

Oh sorry, I'm not sure then. :(

Not too bad so long as you make sure to grind a few levels each world.

Ah okay, that doesn't sound too bad. I tend to grind a lot in Kingdom Hearts games anyways simply because I enjoy battling.

About the nobodies:

I never really believed the Nobodies couldn't develop heart or at the very least, have feelings. It was clear they could feel emotions from CoM or 358/2 Days. Hell, even Roxas in base KH2 had his own feelings and identity.

Afrocious

The whole Org 13 and heart thing is questioned also in Dream Drop Distance.

Ok so for the plat run in KH2FM, you have to get the Mickey Mouse mark on every mission?

I seriously don't want to perfect all these damn minigames and garbage.

iosefe

Oh sorry, I'm not sure then. :(

Ah okay, that doesn't sound too bad. I tend to grind a lot in Kingdom Hearts games anyways simply because I enjoy battling.

About the nobodies:

I never really believed the Nobodies couldn't develop heart or at the very least, have feelings. It was clear they could feel emotions from CoM or 358/2 Days. Hell, even Roxas in base KH2 had his own feelings and identity.

Roxas is postumously a special case though, as it is quite obvious that
he always had Ventus's heart, because looks and the way he acts, etc

Roxas is postumously a special case though, as it is quite obvious that
he always had Ventus's heart, because looks and the way he acts, etc

I guess you have a point there.
I do feel like he would have developed his own heart even if he didn't have Ventus' heart. Or maybe he even developed his own heart anyways since he was his own person.

Man, I'm trying to play KH2 on Proud Mode and the bosses have been kicking my ass. I can barely hit Axel in the intro. I'd like to say I'm just rusty, not having touched a Kingdom Hearts game since I played KH2 on the PS2 years ago...but....maybe I just suck?

Jigolo

I've actually been having quite an easy time with KH2 on critical and it's my first time ever playing the game. It's really just about finding out the pattern of the enemies attack and countering it accordingly. I haven't watched any youtube videos or even used the "op" magic spell "reflect".

Bladenic

I've beaten the game already, gotten back to the end stage. Time to do the extra shit. I'm already at level 99, and what i didn't realize was that the drive forms are artificially capped at 6 until you get final form and then you can level the rest up to 7. WTF!?

MY MAIN PROBLEM GUYS IS FINDING ORICHALUM. IF YOU CAN TELL ME A GOOD PLACE TO GET THEM, OR A RECIPE SO I CAN SYNTHESIZE THEM, IT WOULD BE A GREAT HELP

You can get extra from bulky capsules, though honestly I feel like you'd have enough from chests and rewards.

Inuhanyou

You can get extra from bulky capsules, though honestly I feel like you'd have enough from chests and rewards.

I accidentally used them without realizing i was using them during earlier synth, so now i cant even make the ultima weapon without extra ;_;

Falk

that puzzling face
Same.
The CoM Org. XIII members were some of the most expressive (original) characters in the series. It was weirder for them to not have hearts.

Yeah, no kidding. Larxene was so expressive you could practically smell her shampoo

rYFPUjB.jpg

Woah, never noticed on tiny handheld screen but legs in BBS actually conform to terrain. It's not perfect, but it's a cool touch.

Luigi87

So after finishing off all Disney worlds aside from Olympus Coliseum, and Pride Lands (not touching the latter until I beat the game probably), I thought why not fight the Absent Silhouette I fear the most... Larxene! I struggled against her Data battle at lv.70+ (maybe 99?), I wonder how I'd fair against her AS at lv.1

... Well there was a flash of lightning... and then I was dead.
WELP

I've actually been having quite an easy time with KH2 on critical and it's my first time ever playing the game. It's really just about finding out the pattern of the enemies attack and countering it accordingly. I haven't watched any youtube videos or even used the "op" magic spell "reflect".

Yeah, I guess back when I played this initially I went for the age-old strategy of press attack a lot and make the enemy die. Losing isn't as frustrating as the fact that all the places I'm losing at are after other battles without save points. Bleh. I just want the intro to be over.

Man, just got to Keyblade Graveyard on Terra, and even though I've been here dozens of times while playing the game on the PSP, I never noticed just how grand the destruction of the Keyblade War really was.

I guess it's the 1080p, bigger screen and the higher resolutions, but I just now realized that these bits of destruction are all caused by the same thing, like some giant laser beam cut through the mountains and landed in the ground with such force that it actually broke the earth like that.

Maaan. I knew the Keyblade War was something big, but it never dawned on me just how much raw power was involved. It must've been both glorious and absolutely terrifying.

Bladenic

So Mickey can save me in the(final boss)
Xemnas armored form sitting on the throne/
right? I want the trophy now instead of waiting for Critical playthrough.

Bladenic

Yes, but it has to be the first battle.

Thanks

Also why haven't I obtained the Limit trophy (Jiminy's journal doesn't have the mouse head either). I've used every world exclusive member limit, both of Donald and Goofy's, and Sora's. Am I forgetting something?

Falk

that puzzling face
If you beat the game it shows you how many missing which is pretty useful for 100% completion. Not just this but every category in Jiminy's Journal

Bladenic

Oh right, those useless things.

anyway beat the game. The final bosses are always such a musical tour de force. Goddess Yoko

And I got misty eyed at the ending. Something about the music and the whole "Thinking of you, wherever you are" bit ALWAYS gets me.

God I need Kingdom Hearts 3 asap.

iosefe

Man, just got to Keyblade Graveyard on Terra, and even though I've been here dozens of times while playing the game on the PSP, I never noticed just how grand the destruction of the Keyblade War really was.

I guess it's the 1080p, bigger screen and the higher resolutions, but I just now realized that these bits of destruction are all caused by the same thing, like some giant laser beam cut through the mountains and landed in the ground with such force that it actually broke the earth like that.

Maaan. I knew the Keyblade War was something big, but it never dawned on me just how much raw power was involved. It must've been both glorious and absolutely terrifying.

i wonder what made the hidden mickey

Inuhanyou

In the games, you never really get how powerful these characters are, until you see sora tossing buildings and shit at the end of KH2.

The birth by sleep teaser really laid it on the line. yeah we had DEEP DOWN, but that was nothing compared to the fighting seen in that CGI secret ending

In the games, you never really get how powerful these characters are, until you see sora tossing buildings and shit at the end of KH2.

The birth by sleep teaser really laid it on the line. yeah we had DEEP DOWN, but that was nothing compared to the fighting seen in that CGI secret ending

Makes me wonder what the aftermath of all that would look, if the final battle
(s) with Xemnas
had taken place in less abstract locations. There'd be buildings cut in half and strewn randomly across the cityscape, laser paths and craters from missiles everywhere....
Giant Metal Dragon parts sticking out of the ground...
It would probably be quite the sight to behold.

Also makes me wonder why Sora can't do all those crazy things in regular combat. : /

Afrocious

Makes me wonder what the aftermath of all that would look, if the final battle
(s) with Xemnas
had taken place in less abstract locations. There'd be buildings cut in half and strewn randomly across the cityscape, laser paths and craters from missiles everywhere....
Giant Metal Dragon parts sticking out of the ground...
It would probably be quite the sight to behold.

Also makes me wonder why Sora can't do all those crazy things in regular combat. : /

Did you play 3D? You see that area and it's definitely kinda wrecked. Here's Sora's final boss in 3D. Major series spoilers btw.

Inuhanyou

Cause it was a PS2 game :p

Even the craziest of stuff in god of war 2 which came out that year was peanuts compared to God of War 3's scale. Makes me wonder what KH3 would have been like had we gotten it on Nomura's original time table of SE not fucking up. "you will see Kingdom hearts 3 in the middle of the PS3's lifetime"

Falk

that puzzling face

Keyblade Graveyard has to have one of the most atmospheric, depressing and ultimately fitting final dungeon pieces of music ever. :( So glad we pulled the trigger on touching up that one.

Caladrius

Keyblade Graveyard has to have one of the most atmospheric, depressing and ultimately fitting final dungeon pieces of music ever. :( So glad we pulled the trigger on touching up that one.

Was there ever any discussion of doing Forze Dell'Oscurita?

Darkness of the Unknown sounds very much like it now, come to think of it. (Which is fine by me!) I know FD'O is a remix of it, but the two songs seem much closer now.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm honestly not at a liberty to talk about a lot of the process, but essentially think of it this way: Yoko Shimomura and Keiji Kawamori were the two main figureheads of the soundtrack remaster. KH2 was virtually all by her (not counting obvious exceptions like Passion etc), while BBS and a lot of the handheld games were a collaboration between Shimomura, Ishimoto and Sekito.

As Ishimoto-san and Sekito-san were not available for the process, updating their tracks would have been a lengthy transcription and build-from-the-ground up process, as compared to Shimomura-san's music of which she still has the scores/audio/etc. At that point I presume that with a finite amount of resources the consensus was to leave the vast majority of BBS as-is.

Given an unlimited amount of time and budget, I think considering the passion poured into this, everyone involved would have liked to do a lot more with the remaster. (This probably applies to all aspects, not just the music) But it is what it is, and everything aside I'm honestly really proud of the result.

p.s. I'm obfuscating and simplifying a lot of it, since honestly as a contractor I can't exactly speak for Square Enix (and a lot of what I do know is NDA), so take my insight as you will. Overall what I can say is everyone involved was and is extremely satisfied with the end product. (Shimomura-san especially was really, really happy with Darkness of the Unknown)

Caladrius

Gonna take a bit of a break before doing BBS. The 40 or so hours I spent on KH2 was a bit much for 5 days.

I'm honestly not at a liberty to talk about a lot of the process, but essentially think of it this way: Yoko Shimomura and Keiji Kawamori were the two main figureheads of the soundtrack remaster. KH2 was virtually all by her (not counting obvious exceptions like Passion etc), while BBS and a lot of the handheld games were a collaboration between Shimomura, Ishimoto and Sekito.

As Ishimoto-san and Sekito-san were not available for the process, updating their tracks would have been a lengthy transcription and build-from-the-ground up process, as compared to Shimomura-san's music of which she still has the scores/audio/etc. At that point I presume that with a finite amount of resources the consensus was to leave the vast majority of BBS as-is.

Given an unlimited amount of time and budget, I think considering the passion poured into this, everyone involved would have liked to do a lot more with the remaster. (This probably applies to all aspects, not just the music) But it is what it is, and everything aside I'm honestly really proud of the result.

p.s. I'm obfuscating and simplifying a lot of it, since honestly as a contractor I can't exactly speak for Square Enix, so take my insight as you will. Overall what I can say is everyone involved was and is extremely satisfied with the end product. (Shimomura-san especially was really, really happy with Darkness of the Unknown)

Gotcha, thanks.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Eh. The level of damage seems pretty typical considering there were probably a good 10,000 keyblade wielders all fighting at once. Normal power levels for Final Fantasy I'd say. Look at the collateral damage from Advent Children's final fight, which was just a 1v1 that lasted a few minutes. Thousands of FF protag level fighters clashing at once for an extended time will obviously raze the landscape.

sappyday

Finally got my copy after waiting on Amazon for almost a week.

Defense is the considerable choice if I want to make my Critical play through easier, right?

Soriku

I started on lvl 1 CM. Up to Hollow Bastion now. Twilight Thorn took me a few tries. His attacks are somewhat difficult to dodge, but at least the Nobodies he summons drop large HP balls. Once he did his reaction command sequence a second time, I just needed another two combos and he was done.

Axel I annihilated lol. The second fight with him ended too quickly :p I wonder how his Data version holds up.

In HB, the sword ninja Nobodies are nasty. They can hit you with a hard combo that'll kill you even at a high HP (for lvl 1 CM anyway). I'm at the part where you have to defend the gate. Lost a few times, and now I'm taking a break.

Top Bottom