• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX |OT| Press to pay respects

LAA

Shame they removed multiplayer. I was looking foreward to GAF command board tournaments!

Not so much Command Board, but I would love mirage arena!
As much as I think KH's focus is, and should be, single player, I would love something like Mirage Arena in KH3 again!

botty

Banned
Pitiful Heartless...

Hmm, Saïx's dialogue was always on the stronger end, yeah? Almost on par with Ansem's dialogue.

Seda

Okay, I haven't finished KH2 yet (I'm part way through TWTNW), so these comments are about the meat of the main game.

Even with Critical mode, I ...... don't really like the combat in KH2. It's flashy and smooth, but it's still mostly pressing X to get a bunch of hits in. Throw a couple squares in for good measure, magic if you want to. The difficulty has disappeared after maybe the first few hours, and a very basic approach to most battles will suffice. Perhaps I should have done a level 1 run, but I feel handicapping oneself so significantly in order to achieve an appreciable level of challenge is more artificial than a well constructed game balance.

EDIT: KH1 is definitely not as smooth, but the combat there seemed a little bit more deliberate - where dodging, movement, guarding, and enemy patterns were more important parts of battle.

It's very possible that Post-Game KH2 >>> main game KH2. I'll see when I get there.

BBS is still my favorite game in the series.

I feel like I missed out by never playing the Command Board. Well, I think maybe I tried it once, but I'm not big into board game stuff in games. It just always seemed pointless to do. What does it get you exactly that I can't get by other means?

Okay, I haven't finished KH2 yet (I'm part way through TWTNW), so these comments are about the meat of the main game.

Even with Critical mode, I ...... don't really like the combat in KH2. It's flashy and smooth, but it's still mostly pressing X to get a bunch of hits in. Throw a couple squares in for good measure. The difficulty has disappeared after maybe the first few hours, and a very basic approach to most battles will suffice. Perhaps I should have done a level 1 run, but I feel handicapping oneself so significantly in order to achieve an appreciable level of challenge is more artificial than a well constructed game balance.

It's very possible that Post-Game KH2 >>> main game KH2. I'll see when I get there.

As much as I love KH2FM, I still think BBS is my favorite game in the series as well.

Afrocious

Even with Critical mode, I ...... don't really like the combat in KH2. It's flashy and smooth, but it's still mostly pressing X to get a bunch of hits in. Throw a couple squares in for good measure. The difficulty has disappeared after maybe the first few hours, and a very basic approach to most battles will suffice. Perhaps I should have done a level 1 run, but I feel handicapping oneself so significantly in order to achieve an appreciable level of challenge is more artificial than a well constructed game balance.

Yeah, this is no platinum game.

Most of what I find enjoyable about the combat is with the bosses. Namely with the Organization

Kinsei

Banned
I feel like I missed out by never playing the Command Board. Well, I think maybe I tried it once, but I'm not big into board game stuff in games. It just always seemed pointless to do. What does it get you exactly that I can't get by other means?

A bunch of shotlocks are gotten through the command board. You also need to do them to unlock Armor of the Master and No Heart, along with a few other arena matches.

Vashetti

Banned
I've discovered a 'game-breaking' bug.

If you pause during one of the songs in Atlantica, you can't unpause. You can only retry the song or quit the song completely.

It won't get patched though.

Seda

I've discovered a 'game-breaking' bug.

If you pause during one of the songs in Atlantica, you can't unpause. You can only retry the song or quit the song completely.

It won't get patched though.

Probably to avoid 'cheating' mid-song, although it's not like the minigame is difficult.

Mecha

If BBS had better blocking, less hitstun, more actual hitstun on bosses, better movement/controls, way better boss fights, better level 1, better post game, and faster pacing I would put it around KH2FM territory. In my opinion KH2FM is by far the most balanced KH game, and it's level 1 is a great testament to that.

One of the things that feels really janky going from KH2 to BBS is the air combat. Everything from jumping to attacking in air feels so weird. Even KH1 had it better.

Mecha

One of the things that feels really janky going from KH2 to BBS is the air combat. Everything from jumping to attacking in air feels so weird. Even KH1 had it better.

Also not a fan of some bosses
(terra-xehanort)
not caring that you hit them with a counter and attacking you anyways.

My favorite boss fight in the series at the moment is Aqua's in Neverland. I'll see how that holds up.

With
Vanitas
? I can't think of a single BBS boss fight that really stands out for me in a positive way, boss fights are one of my least favorite things about BBS.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Have to rant somewhere(KH 1.5 HD playthrough).

The gauntlet of enemies before reaching the final save point on Proud difficulty is such a bullshit difficulty spike. You can't backtrack after beating the Fantasia boss to take a breather or even power-up elsewhere, you get easily stunlocked by immense off-screen hits(especially quaffing pots), and after a couple hours of attempts JUST because I wanted to get to bed I decided to give up and turn the damn system off losing the evening's entire progress. Will just grind the Hades tourney later for levels since I suppose 50 is not enough to keep me from getting 2-shotted in this section.

Edit: I forgot about Tinkerbell entirely until now...might have really helped. Goddamnit.

Just want this damn thing to be over already. Hollow Bastion was the only good world in the entire game(End of World fucking suuuuuccckkkksss), but really looking forward to eventually giving 2 and BBS a play finally.

I do kind of like KH1 otherwise, but only really due to the combat flexibility. The port is outstanding though, looks phenomenal given the age of the PS2 game. Some of the best IQ I've ever seen, colors just pop and the game looks pristine. Might eventually even try a 100% playthrough as I want to see the optional fights, but not on Proud.

Falk

that puzzling face
Shame they removed multiplayer. I was looking foreward to GAF command board tournaments!

It seems simple enough that it'd be a few days to code together an approximation in Flash or something. Only thing is it wouldn't have the cross-interactivity of your Command Deck.

I hate that bossfight :lol. Probably because it's just a horrible keyblade sponge in Critical mode if you have not grinded levels.
Yeah, lot of fights with him is attacking when he opened himself.
So far the only fights really annoying me are Terra's in Proud mode.
Radiant Town sucks if you want to quickly beat it.

Also my rankings (no spin-offs) are KH1 > BBS > KH2 >>> DDD.
BBS outranks KH2 to me because the long tutorial and Atlantis.

Bladenic

Personally I always thought BBS was highly overrated on GAF. Maybe my opinion will change once I get to it after getting the KH2 platinum.

I remember playing the command board once in my PSP playthrough and wanting to kill myself so there's that too. Maybe I'll like it better now too?

And 3D had some really annoying boss battles. I just don't have a very high opinion of that game. Do need a replay though, if it gets an HD port.

Anyway, am I missing something in Twilight Town for Struggle? I can only fight Hayner, I whoop his ass, then the only options are quit or retry and it counts as a loss.

Kinsei

Banned
Personally I always thought BBS was highly overrated on GAF. Maybe my opinion will change once I get to it after getting the KH2 platinum.

I remember playing the command board once in my PSP playthrough and wanting to kill myself so there's that too. Maybe I'll like it better now too?

And 3D had some really annoying boss battles. I just don't have a very high opinion of that game. Do need a replay though, if it gets an HD port.

Anyway, am I missing something in Twilight Town for Struggle? I can only fight Hayner, I whoop his ass, then the only options are quit or retry and it counts as a loss.

You have to beat Hayner 10 times to unlock Setzer, and then you need to beat Setzer 10 times to unlock Seifer.

A bunch of shotlocks are gotten through the command board. You also need to do them to unlock Armor of the Master and No Heart, along with a few other arena matches.

Ohh, you know, I never even used Shotlocks that often.. Or the D-Link stuff. I forgot about them most of the time, lol. Maybe I'll use them now! I might give the Command Board another try.

Cursed foooooools.

Give me KH3 with level design, story pacing of KH1, fluidness of KH2, customization of BBS and music of DDD and then we talkin.

Level design for KH1? Eww... I mean, truth be told, I haven't really liked any of the level design in the series, but KH1 has a few stinkers like the Tarzan level... hated that place SO much. Worst world in the series (besides Atlantica KH2 of course). Also not a big fan of the Peter Pan world of KH1 simply because it's so damn boring. Alice in Wonderland was alright, but a bit confusing. Coliseum in KH1 was basically just 2 screens long and was far better in KH2. I could really go on and on about crappy world designs for the entire series, but anyways. Traverse Town and Hallow Bastion were my favs in KH1. They just need to improve level design all around.

Seda

I think most people will agree that level design is generally one of the series weakpoints, and a great opportunity for KH3 to remedy a bit.

Vashetti

Banned
Fuck, I always remembered it as it being more.

I guess they send you through every one all over again and there's a ton of shit to do.

Just depressing seeing Pride Rock already there :(

Soriku

Forgot to mention. The new Sinister Sundown is god-tier. I never appreciated the track till now. The real violins add so much.

Luigi87

Okay, so this whole level 1 run I've been dreading Ground Shaker...
... It was nothing compared to (post-1000 Heartless) Scar, I feel silly @_@

Holmes

Honestly I don't like how you have to return to every Disney world two times to complete it. Takes me out of it. I hardly care the second time around. The only noteworthy second trip is Beast's Castle imo.

pixxxelz

Soo can any of you tell me how exactly i unlock the secret episode in Birth by Sleep FM? So far I've completed Terra and Ventus story on normal, now can I just complete Aqua's story on critical/proud and unlock it (without collecting all the reports) or do I have to complete every character story on proud?

Kain

Xaldin is a beast, but once you realize you don't have to attack constantly, he becomes more bearable.

I didn't remember that and he whooped my ass (but along came Mickey to save me) then I remembered you have to use his command, so I avoided all his attacks, Learn, Jump, jump again when he is in dragon form, rinse and repeat, always repeat.

What I mean is... yes, the game is easy if you just think a little on any difficulty.

Luckily the post-game stuff is a nightmare, as it should be. I remember sweating bullets just to complete the optional dungeon.

Vashetti

Banned
Wow, the first Heartless boss of Halloween Town is super broken, even on Critical.

Just stay underneath it and it can barely hit you. I didn't even try.

Luckily the post-game stuff is a nightmare, as it should be. I remember sweating bullets just to complete the optional dungeon.

I want more locations like the
Cavern of Remembrance
. It was pretty much the only "true dungeon" of the series in the full sense of that word. Because it requires everything you have to beat, both in terms of combat and in terms of abilities and platforming (also a bit of thinking, which is not something I often remember doing while playing KH) you actually feel really accomplished. Personal favorite location of KH2 by far.

Kinsei

Banned
Is there a way to speed run the game on critical - since I'll need to re-play to get that final trophy in a couple of months.

Of course there is. Just skip all of the cutscenes and every fight that isn't required. It'll be tough being at such a low level during your first critical run, but it's doable.

Bladenic

Yeah Cavern of Remembrance is a real treat. Doubt Kingdom Hearts 3 will have anything like it which is a shame because it's clear they can do good level/dungeon design.

Vashetti

Banned
OOGIE BOOGIE!

ibq37HiBq06GqD.gif

Top Bottom