• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX |OT| Press to pay respects

Huh, so I never finished KH3D and haven't played Re:coded in a long time but is
the Book of Prophecies been mentioned before? Maleficent compared it to the journal near the end of coded, but I don't recall hearing about it at all before.

It's the book from the browser title Kingdom Hearts x[Chi]. No idea how they're going to get fans outside of Japan up to speed on it.

Famassu

So I've only ever played through Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2. I just recently bought 2.5 and DDD, and I am either going to pick up 1.5 and the 2 ds games (358/2 and re:coded) and do a full series playthrough, or just play BBS and DDD and watch the cutscene movies of the other 3. Are 1,2,BBS and DDD enough, or is it worthwhile to play COM, 358/2 and Re:coded too?
From a story POV, I'd say the essentials are 1, Re:CoM, 2, BBS & DDD. Days has a few good moments but overall it's a whole lot of sea-salt ice cream eating. ReCoded is the most pointless story in an JRPG ever.

From a gameplay POV, ReCoM is very divisive. I personally like the card combat, others hate it or would at least prefer not to play it. Days is unremarkable from a gameplay POV, a kind of (even more) simplified Kingdom Hearts in many ways. It's not horrible by any means, but it's probably the weakest normal type KH, although its Sora development system is fun. I'd say 1, 2, BBS, DDD & ReCoded are all fun as far as combat goes, but they each have different shortcomings. 1 is a bit cumbersome and some of the level designs isn't all that good, 2 is a bit too straightforward though vastly improves the combat, BBS is (imo) the best game in the series from a gameplay POV but it did suffer from being on a handheld, DDD has the somewhat tiresome Pokemon stuff and the flowmotion stuff isn't super-well balanced and ReCoded is the millionth retread through a lot of the old worlds, even if its gameplay is probably the best that DS can handle.

I think playing through the whole saga in quick succession might be a bit much, so maybe play BBS, 1, 2 and DDD, watch cutscenes of ReCoM on Youtube, ignore the rest (unless you want easy trophies).

So I've only ever played through Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2. I just recently bought 2.5 and DDD, and I am either going to pick up 1.5 and the 2 ds games (358/2 and re:coded) and do a full series playthrough, or just play BBS and DDD and watch the cutscene movies of the other 3. Are 1,2,BBS and DDD enough, or is it worthwhile to play COM, 358/2 and Re:coded too?

Play BBS, 1, 2, and 3D. You can just watch 358/2 days and Coded on youtube or read a plot synopsis.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
lol well, since we're measuring our penises... (I got the 1.5/2.5 pack when in came out here in October)

VdkTa4c.jpg

I tried CoM last night for the first time after wrapping up KH1. After 2 hours of play I decided to just watch the cutscenes on youtube and never load it up again(and even that has been a brutal trial to sit through). Amazed to see some of you played it 6 times for the platinum. True insanity.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I tried CoM last night for the first time after wrapping up KH1. After 2 hours of play I decided to just watch the cutscenes on youtube and never load it up again(and even that has been a brutal trial to sit through). Amazed to see some of you played it 6 times for the platinum. True insanity.

The combat system is actually really deep when you get into it. Yeah its not a mash buttons kind of game, but i think the strategy aspect turns people off, beyond the whole rehash all the disney worlds thing

Falk

that puzzling face
The combat system is actually really deep when you get into it. Yeah its not a mash buttons kind of game, but i think the strategy aspect turns people off, beyond the whole rehash all the disney worlds thing

The depth of the combat system is pretty much a logic puzzle that ends when you come to the conclusion that spamming Lethal Frame on everything is ultimately the final answer.

Groof

Whoo my copy arrived 2 days early! Too bad I'm at work and the box is laying there next to me, taunting me... Can't wait for this weekend.

Falk

that puzzling face
PSA: This is the second time Birth By Sleep has hung on me after the final boss of an episode.

As you know, I leave my stuff on even when I'm not playing (leads to hilarious hour count on save files, but I digress) so I think that may have something to do with it. Both times, game functioned correctly and gave me the ending sequence after restarting. Not sure if this is a widespread issue or an isolated incident, but it's annoying as heck to have to do the final bosses again, especially on Critical :|

tl;dr: If you want to be safe, if you've been playing for a long time, restart the game before you do the final bosses. Pretty sure this also applies to KH2.

On the plus side I've not seen any texture glitches on the English version, whereas I had to restart the software every two days or so (lol) on the JP version last month.

Holmes

So question about the Craftsman trophy. Do I need to just synthesize every item, or also fill out the completion list too? (Like "collect 30 blazing shards/gems/stones" etc)

So question about the Craftsman trophy. Do I need to just synthesize every item, or also fill out the completion list too? (Like "collect 30 blazing shards/gems/stones" etc)

Both

EDIT: For the craftsman trophy, just make items. to complete the jiminy's journal and get the plat, you need to do everything

Afrocious

I think I said it before, so I'll say it again. SE needs to be brought to task about not having a system install for this game. I honestly couldn't completely recommend it to anyone since the load times happen all the time, and the game can outright stop in some fights.

This is an embarrassment.

Tetranet

So I'm not the only one that thought the D-Links pausing the combat for a few seconds is odd. Oh well, not that big of a deal.

I think I said it before, so I'll say it again. SE needs to be brought to task about not having a system install for this game. I honestly couldn't completely recommend it to anyone since the load times happen all the time, and the game can outright stop in some fights.

Indeed. Frankly I think it should have become a standard to have the install option a long time ago. How long has it been since PS3s came with HDDs.

Afrocious

So I'm not the only one that thought the D-Links pausing the combat for a few seconds is odd. Oh well, not that big of a deal.

Indeed. Frankly I think it should have become a standard to have the install option a long time ago.
It's gross to not think it's not a big deal. That kind of complacency is why garbage like this slides.

I tweeted SE about it, but if course I got no response.

Are SE games normally like this on PS3. I've only played ff13 way back when and I think that had an install.

Hell, bbs on psp outright recommended an install.

Aqua: "There is always a way."
WHEN YOU WALK AWAY!

...Really SE? Way to break the mood.

Edit: Wait, Jessie McCartney was Ventus?

He's also the voice actor for Roxas. They sound very similar for story reasons, but I think I can tell the two characters apart if I heard them both at the same time. :p lol

Tetranet

It's pretty bad considering even PSP was faster. They really should have included optional install.

Really? Well, it's not the only technical oddity I've encountered. In many crowded battles you can see slight drops in the framerate. Considering that KH2 can handle such moments much better (while rendering teammates on top), I wouldn't be surprised if BBS didn't translate as well to the PS3 technically.

Not that I'm complaining though, we're talking about barely noticeable things here. The game looks and plays amazingly.

It's the book from the browser title Kingdom Hearts x[Chi]. No idea how they're going to get fans outside of Japan up to speed on it.

I have no idea either. I tried playing Chi, but I couldn't focus on the game with all the kanji and kana on screen. How expensive can a translation be? Consider the profits SE.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Oh god i've gone down the hill of reading Ansem/Xehanort/Xemnas profiles on KH wiki .. what have I done.

Afrocious

3D plot question.

If Xemnas and Xehanorts heartless are in the new org, what's going to happen when you beat them? Xehanort is already back (oddly enough as an old man and not as terranort)

sappyday

I knew Hallie Joel Osmond was Sora, but I forgot Jessie was in the games.

Yea some forget that Kingdom Hearts had a lot celebrity voice work before it became cool. KH is the only series that I can think of that casts celebrities for the main cast instead of regular voice artist.

Sora - Haley Joel Osment. At the time he was still big and lovable
Kairi - Hayden Panettiere. Funny enough she's now starting to do other video games with Until Dawn
Riku - 7th Heaven kid
Ansem - Billy Zane
DiZ/Ansem - Christopher Lee
Roxas/Ven - Jesse McCartney. Again, at the time he was cast he was like the Justin Beiber
Namine - Brittany Snow

A lot of these faded into obscurity but at the time they were well known.

BbS continued to cast celebs with some big ones such as Leonard Nimoy and Mark Hamill (albeit, Hamill is pretty much considered a regular VA) but some unknown celebrities as well with Willa Holland and Jason Dohring.

adamsapple

Don't forget they hired one of the guys from N'Sync to do the 2 lines Sephiroth had in Kingdom Hearts 1 too.

and David Boreanaz as Squall

LAA

Absolutely devastated. After nearly a week of ShopTo investigating where my KH 2.5 CE has gone, they're now telling me they can't locate it and are going to give me a refund. But I wanted the CE! I pre ordered day 1!

I really wonder where the CE went. I don't understand how it can get lost when DPD go to ShopTo to collect the parcels... That makes me think either the DPD driver took it? Or ShopTo sent it somewhere else by mistake...or never had it to begin with?

Sigh, the really guttering thing is I cancelled the SE store pre-order JUST to go with ShopTo since I usually go with them. I would have had it with the SE Store...probably.

Not really fond of paying over double the price for it on ebay either...just really devastated atm.

3D plot question.

If Xemnas and Xehanorts heartless are in the new org, what's going to happen when you beat them? Xehanort is already back (oddly enough as an old man and not as terranort)

Maybe they will just return to their own time after you defeat them, not sure. I think my biggest gripe with 3D's story (besides it getting crazier) is that when Xehanort came back, he wasn't Terranort. That really bugs me because I feel like it *should* have been him for the story to make sense. I have no idea where Terra's body is currently since the Xemnas at the end there was one of the time traveled ones.

Indeed. Frankly I think it should have become a standard to have the install option a long time ago. How long has it been since PS3s came with HDDs.

Happened in the PSP version too as it read the UMD to load the data. I don't know why it needs to do it now though!

Very annoying saving the game in BBS compared to KHII though. It takes significantly longer in the grand scale of things. I'm sure saving on PSP was quicker.

Yea some forget that Kingdom Hearts had a lot celebrity voice work before it became cool. KH is the only series that I can think of that casts celebrities for the main cast instead of regular voice artist.

Sora - Haley Joel Osment. At the time he was still big and lovable
Kairi - Hayden Panettiere. Funny enough she's now starting to do other video games with Until Dawn
Riku - 7th Heaven kid
Ansem - Billy Zane
DiZ/Ansem - Christopher Lee
Roxas/Ven - Jesse McCartney. Again, at the time he was cast he was like the Justin Beiber
Namine - Brittany Snow

A lot of these faded into obscurity but at the time they were well known.

BbS continued to cast celebs with some big ones such as Leonard Nimoy and Mark Hamill (albeit, Hamill is pretty much considered a regular VA) but some unknown celebrities as well with Willa Holland and Jason Dohring.

There is some worry that Nimoy possibly will not be returning for KH3 (hell, even BBS was supposed to be his last role) but if that's the case I kinda hope they would go with Christopher Lloyd like the old bogus rumours about him voicing MX were :lol. But they probably will just put Corey Burton to do his best Nimoy voice.

Afrocious

Maybe they will just return to their own time after you defeat them, not sure. I think my biggest gripe with 3D's story (besides it getting crazier) is that when Xehanort came back, he wasn't Terranort. That really bugs me because I feel like it *should* have been him for the story to make sense. I have no idea where Terra's body is currently since the Xemnas at the end there was one of the time traveled ones.

The funny thing is
Terranort is in the beginning of 3D. He's the one who stabs Braig, and then calls himself Ansem. None of this makes sense.

Can Haley even do KH 3? Don't know, might be to grown up for that.

I doubt he's voice is changing anymore too much. And KH3 Sora is supposed to be more ''mature'' than KH2 and if they got him to voice KH1 Sora for Re:Coded scenes in 2.5 I doubt they see much reason to change the voice.

adamsapple

Can Haley even do KH 3? Don't know, might be to grown up for that.

He has a pretty grown-ass man voice in the last game too, he's 26 now, was 24 when recording DDD. I don't think his voice is going to change much now.

Unless he starts drinking heavily or (god forbid) contracts throat cancer.

I guess Mail Delivery is the quickest job.
Ugh, hate this part.

Edit: Ha, you do not have to get $1600. I stopped at 600 money. That is less awful.

The funny thing is
Terranort is in the beginning of 3D. He's the one who stabs Braig, and then calls himself Ansem. None of this makes sense.

lol yup,
that was a flashback (of course) to when he first made Braig and them into heartless/nobodies, but it's weird they didn't bring back Terranort at the end. Maybe they just did that because they wanted to introduce the main villain of the franchise to those who didn't play BBS. And they wanted Leonard Nimoy to have some lines in the game, too. lol I dunno, but it still doesn't really make sense in context of the story.

--

Sora sounded a little weird at first in KH3D, but I got used to it fairly quickly. There were still some lines of dialogue that made me realize his voice was different from his KH2 counterpart, but eh, it was fine. There's not much they can do about that unless they got someone new which would have probably been worse.

Afrocious

lol yup,
that was a flashback (of course) to when he first made Braig and them into heartless/nobodies, but it's weird they didn't bring back Terranort at the end. Maybe they just did that because they wanted to introduce the main villain of the franchise to those who didn't play BBS. And they wanted Leonard Nimoy to have some lines in the game, too. lol I dunno, but it still doesn't really make sense in context of the story.

--

Sora sounded a little weird at first in KH3D, but I got used to it fairly quickly. There were still some lines of dialogue that made me realize his voice was different from his KH2 counterpart, but eh, it was fine. There's not much they can do about that unless they got someone new which would have probably been worse.

That was a flashback? I thought that was the org getting back to normal after kh2

abrack08

I guess Mail Delivery is the quickest job.
Ugh, hate this part.

Edit: Ha, you do not have to get $1600. I stopped at 600 money. That is less awful.

You missed out on gaining +2 AP then. I went all the way to $2000, others earlier in the thread said you get it at $1300

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
That was a flashback? I thought that was the org getting back to normal after kh2

I thought it was pretty obvious it was a flashback.
It was the formation of the original Organization. With Terranort getting all his memories back, and officially declaring himself Ansem. Then all the Radiant Garden scenes afterwards took place after KH2 with the original Organization as humans again. Except for IX-XII, hopefully we find out what happened to them. Maybe Marluxia is one of the 13 Xehanorts?

I mean,
Ansem SoD's heart possessing Riku's body was able to look like Ansem SoD. It's possible that something similar is the case with Terra's body at this point. It'd certainly suggest that MX has been able to eject or fully dominate Terra's heart, though,
and for story purposes I doubt that's true.

Famassu

3D plot question.

Probably the same reason why Roxas looks like Ven instead of Sora. It's more about the Heart than the body.

Kinsei

Banned
Maybe Marluxia is one of the 13 Xehanorts?

I doubt any of the CoM members will be part of the 13 Xehanorts. Xemnas most likely sent them off to CO to die because they were unfit for one reason or another. If any of them do end up being part of the 13 I think it'll be Larxene.

Lightning

Banned

My only gripe with the game is the load times. Going into drive form during boss fights should be instant and not have a laggy delay which disrupts the fight. That crap is annoying.

Top Bottom