• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX |OT| Press to pay respects

Famassu

Like to remind people it's not the same team in regards to models and animations.

FFXV looks unreal though (same team)

Actually, KHIII might now have the same people working on it, if Nomura took his OG KH team with him when was taken off FFXV (Tabata's people & others seem to have replaced some of Nomura's people in key positions in most recent credits for FFXV, IIRC) and they aren't working on anything else.

Famassu

Nah, it'll be a $60 PS4 game, if Type-0 HD is any indication of HD handheld titles pricing.

KH3D has already been released in English once, though. Type-0 hasn't and it's a pretty massive upgrade and a much more massive game than DDD in the first place. I think the price is somewhat justified for Type-0 HD (especially day 1 people who'll get the FFXV demo that is probably lengthier than Ground Zeroes) while it would be harder to justify for 3D since it has already been released and it's a fairly small game content-wise. Even if they did something similar to Type-0 HD, it would be a much smaller task.

Actually, KHIII might now have the same people working on it, if Nomura took his OG KH team with him when was taken off FFXV (Tabata's people & others seem to have replaced some of Nomura's people in key positions in most recent credits for FFXV, IIRC) and they aren't working on anything else.

He took his team? So they dismissed everyone with Nomura on the project?

Famassu

He took his team? So they dismissed everyone with Nomura on the project?
Not necessarily dismissed, but Nomura might've taken his team with him when Tabata was brought along and he brought his Type-0/Crisis Core people along. Fairly sure if you compare some of the OG credits for FFVsXIII and more recent ones for FFXV, most or at least many of the key positions have changed. Some people like Nojima & Shimomura are still with the project, but others have changed.

Don't take my word for granted. I have one of the shitties name memories known to man so I have a bit of a hard time remembering names I don't use a lot (so I remember people like Nomura, Shimomura, Yasue, Akiyama, Tabata etc., but have harder time remembering exact lead designers, programmers etc.). But I remember someone like duckroll or others pointing out how much it has changed.

hohoXD123

Just started playing KH2 for the first time. Beginning must have been ridiculously confusing for people who hadn't played 358/2 days.

What's the quickest way to Lvl 99 and should I finish the game before going on to the data replica's. Right now I'm at Lvl 68 and have all the forms mastered but I am not sure what to do next.

Falk

that puzzling face
If you wanna do all the data replicas you have to beat the final boss before you get to fight his replica anyway.

Famassu

Nomura can't 'take' Shimomura from FFXV to KH3 because KH3 already has a Shimomura occupying that space.

My IQ just fell out of my head trying to process what I just said.
Sure, but in some kind of horrible nightmare absolute worst case scenario Tabata could have replaced Shimomura with Ishimoto as the (main) composer of FFXV if Shimomura had left with Nomura as well. Not necessarily for KHIII (because, as you said, she's already tied to that project), but just because Nomura left and Tabata maybe wanted someone he knew to compose for FFXV.
I like Ishimoto, don't kill me.

Caladrius

While I do need a replay, based on my one playthrough I think KH3D is the worst game in the series.

Could not disagree more. Days and coded simply do not work for the console they were made for and contribute nothing of interest in terms of characters, character development or plot.

Worse than Days or Re: Coded?!

No.

The game has many, many problems, but the 3DS is a substantial improvement in controls, so it's already better than Days/coded on that basic level. The growth systems are a clusterfuck, but combat is still generally enjoyable, and if you take the story for the ridiculous ride that it is, the batshit insane developments are infinitely more entertaining than Roxas's character derailment for the sake of Xarmy Eus and coded's threadbare plot that contributes nothing to the mythos.

HeelPower

Sure, but in some kind of horrible nightmare absolute worst case scenario Tabata could have replaced Shimomura with Ishimoto as the (main) composer of FFXV if Shimomura had left with Nomura as well.

I think we really did get lucky there.

After so many years, shimomura herself could've gottent busy/impatient with the game and left or got 'restructured' with the original staff.

Famassu

No.

The game has many, many problems, but the 3DS is a substantial improvement in controls, so it's already better than Days/coded on that basic level.

The growth systems are a clusterfuck, but combat is still generally enjoyable, and if you take the story for the ridiculous ride that it is, the batshit insane developments are infinitely more entertaining than Roxas's character derailment for the sake of Xarmy Eus and coded's threadbare plot that contributes nothing to the mythos.
I don't think the growth system is a clusterfuck considering you can easily just use money to circumvent most of the more tedious parts of it and that there is really nothing wrong with tying abilities like fire resistance to different Pokemon. A couple of small fixes could really make it a non-problem: 1) make it so that enemies give more than 1 LP so that killing enemies would be more useful for ability grinding and 2) make affinity even easier to get so that you'd have to spend even less time with the Pokemon. Even as it is in the 3DS original, you can pretty easily learn almost all abilities for 3 Dream Eaters at a time during a visit to one world with both Riku & Sora + a few water barrel mini-games. It's probably faster than leveling up commands in BBS, overall.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Honestly, the only thing that I don't get about DDD's story was
the time travel and the "leaving your body behind" thing. I got Xehanort's plan of gathering 13 versions of himself in order to clash with 7 Warriors of Light to create the X-Blade, and really time travel just seems like an excuse as to how 13 Xehanorts can run around. It's just the convoluted way they explained it.

KH3D has already been released in English once, though. Type-0 hasn't and it's a pretty massive upgrade and a much more massive game than DDD in the first place. I think the price is somewhat justified for Type-0 HD (especially day 1 people who'll get the FFXV demo that is probably lengthier than Ground Zeroes) while it would be harder to justify for 3D since it has already been released and it's a fairly small game content-wise. Even if they did something similar to Type-0 HD, it would be a much smaller task.

Nope and nope.

Falk

that puzzling face
Kingdom Hearts 2 - He is a Pirate

(3-10) He's a Pirate ~ Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX OST

2pMfyZa.png

Ja4yz8fl.jpg

Famassu

Nope and nope.
Type-0 is a much bigger game than DDD, that's not debatable. Type-0 is almost comparable to a mainline FF with some portable limitations & design choices. DDD is a semi-mainline title that falls short of a mainline game in almost every way. And Type-0 HD is a big upgrade beyond simpler resolution bumps, that's not really debatable either. It's not a full remake that is going to turn it into another game completely and it's not going to look like a "real" PS4 game but it is still a massive improvement over the PSP original.

What's the quickest way to Lvl 99 and should I finish the game before going on to the data replica's. Right now I'm at Lvl 68 and have all the forms mastered but I am not sure what to do next.

Equip Sora with gull wing + final form with either Bond of Flame or the lightning bonus damaging keyblade. Go to the world that never was (I found the best area was from where the moogle shop is right before you fought Xigbar) also equip any extra Exp bonus.

Go inside to that first area where the snipers spawn, dive into final form, let them damage you to danger zone and then spam Thundaga/Firaga (and whatever respective keyblade you put on final form, personally I perfer Thundaga) then continue on into the following room which will spawn a toooon of heartless, when your drive is about to empty go into the next area (if you didn't kill everything) and jump onto the save point leave the world, when you return you'll be back at max drive. IF you run out of MP you can use ethers or just hit everything, whatever works.

I went from 55 to 99 in about 3 hours.

Twighlight town computer room through mansion with experience boost and gull wing equipped a low health

I don't think the growth system is a clusterfuck considering you can easily just use money to circumvent most of the more tedious parts of it and that there is really nothing wrong with tying abilities like fire resistance to different Pokemon. A couple of small fixes could really make it a non-problem: 1) make it so that enemies give more than 1 LP so that killing enemies would be more useful for ability grinding and 2) make affinity even easier to get so that you'd have to spend even less time with the Pokemon. Even as it is in the 3DS original, you can pretty easily learn almost all abilities for 3 Dream Eaters at a time during a visit to one world with both Riku & Sora + a few water barrel mini-games. It's probably faster than leveling up commands in BBS, overall.

I think saying it's a clusterfuck is a bit of justified hyperbole. It's not really a clusterfuck, but it's certainly jarring to go from well put together battle systems with subsystems that work in tandem with each other like Birth by Sleep and Re: Coded to the disjointed KH3D battle system.

I like to think of it like the assembly of a car. Birth by Sleep and Re:Coded both are well put together, and each auxiliary system is a part of a bigger, fully fleshed out battle system, and all of these auxiliary systems work in conjunction with each other. Sure, there's a bit of extraneous stuff here and there (Shotlocks come to mind) but it doesn't do much (if anything at all) to detract from the system's overall design, not unlike how every part of a car has a usage that helps towards a main function.

So if BBS/Re:Coded's battle system is a regular, well put together car, KH3D's battle system is more like this:

TheHomer.jpg

It's an assortment of actually really neat ideas thrown together with little to no attempt made to have any of these systems work together and little consideration put in towards how any of the systems could even interact with each other. There's certainly potential, but it's definitely more work to fully realize it beyond adjusting LP and affinity gain. Yeah, Water Barrel is a somewhat expedited way to do level up Dream Eaters, but it's exponentially more tedious than straight up grinding in BBS (Which is actually somewhat enjoyable because of the aforementioned BBS battle system) or even doing the command board (Which is also a great mini-game that actually seems fleshed out, and not an afterthought)

Carbonox

Here we go - at the final battle against Xemnas. His first form was stupidly easy even on Critical.

Roxas though, fuck me is he a lesson on how to properly apply Reflega on Critical. Up until then I was able to deal with most things fine but he wrecked the shit out of me until I quickly learned how to properly use Reflega. Some Limit Form assistance too and I was able to handle him in the end.

Xigbar was pretty easy. Saix a bit of a pain but otherwise doable first-time. Luxord was a total joke.

Overall there have been some nice challenges here and there on Critical. Nothing destructive aside from Roxas.

The second phase and beyond of Xemnas could fuck me over though. I'm not a big fan of the very final phase against him.

Carbonox

Scratch what I said. Xemnas's final forms were a piece of piss. Level 46. Critical done.

PLATINUM TROPHY GET

Now I can take a breather.

Wtf is up with the enemies in the cave of rememberance? I get one shotted by that shaman who summons that blue fire and that hot rod heartless is full of shit. I get one shotted with once again equipped.

Carbonox

Wtf is up with the enemies in the cave of rememberance? I get one shotted by that shaman who summons that blue fire and that hot rod heartless is full of shit. I get one shotted with once again equipped.

The enemies in the Cavern are supposed to be the hardest fodder in the game AFAIK (well mainly the latter parts when the bigger types are thrown at you). Best to leave that place until you're a high enough level. The final parts of the Cavern are pretty mental fight-wise, especially the very last corridor. If you're not prepared you'll get wrecked.

Fuck those car Heartless though. Total cunts they are and not even remotely fun to fight.

The enemies in the Cavern are supposed to be the hardest fodder in the game AFAIK (well mainly the latter parts when the bigger types are thrown at you). Best to leave that place until you're a high enough level. The final parts of the Cavern are pretty mental fight-wise, especially the very last corridor. If you're not prepared you'll get wrecked.

Fuck those car Heartless though. Total cunts they are and not even remotely fun to fight.
Thanks man. I went in and was doing damage and suddenly out of nowhere blue fire. I'm only level 29 so I'll come back for revenge. And yeah, that car heartless is ridiculous. Hits hard and and has speed. And there is multiple groups of them so they're racing all over the screen. Worse enemy I've faced yet.

Reflect and/or Counterguard completely wreck the car heartless. When they do their rushing attack, wait for them to honk their horn, then hit guard a second after to block it. If you have Counterguard at that point, you can use it then, and it completely opens them up.

Man, the battle with 1,000 is so epic. It marks Sora growing into a different level with his keyblade.

Is it just me or does Xaldin's voice not match his face or stature? He sounds like an old man but doesn't look like that. Huge and mean looking.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
How so? I don't have 2.5 yet, but I remember grinding there on PS2.

In the original KH2, the Heartless dropped MP Orbs so you could keep using Magnega/Thundaga until they were all dead.
In FM though, they drop HP Orbs so you run out of MP fast. Plus if you purposely have low health for the experience boost, it will recover you and there would be no point

Psxphile

Is it just me or does Xaldin's voice not match his face or stature? He sounds like an old man but doesn't look like that. Huge and mean looking.

Isn't he the one that occasionally crosses his arms across his back like a stereotypical Japanese old person when he's got his hood up?

Afrocious

Honestly, the only thing that I don't get about DDD's story was
the time travel and the "leaving your body behind" thing. I got Xehanort's plan of gathering 13 versions of himself in order to clash with 7 Warriors of Light to create the X-Blade, and really time travel just seems like an excuse as to how 13 Xehanorts can run around. It's just the convoluted way they explained it.

What I don't get about the future of the KH series' plot is
why would the heroes even want to clash with the new Org 13 with 7 warriors of light? Fighting them with 7 keyblade wielders is what Xehanort wants. If they don't confront him with 7 keyblade wielders, the X-blade won't form and Xehanort is shit out of luck.

Isn't he the one that occasionally crosses his arms across his back like a stereotypical Japanese old person when he's got his hood up?
I thought he looked like an assassin with his armed crossed behind his back. But his face doesn't match his face in my opinion.

I'm at the halfway point now, so I think I will start grinding a bit. Looking at the missions some will be tedious and boring.

Afrocious

I thought he looked like an assassin with his armed crossed behind his back. But his face doesn't match his face in my opinion.

I'm at the halfway point now, so I think I will start grinding a bit. Looking at the missions some will be tedious and boring.

I'd hit level 99 before tackling leftover missions. They weren't that bad to deal with, and at such a high level, you can completely destroy certain bosses like that fight in the Hades Paradox Cup with Cloud, Squall, Tifa, and Yuffie.

Top Bottom