• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX |OT| Press to pay respects

I'd hit level 99 before tackling leftover missions. They weren't that bad to deal with, and at such a high level, you can completely destroy certain bosses like that fight in the Hades Paradox Cup with Cloud, Squall, Tifa, and Yuffie.
Lol I meant the missions in the journal; delivering mail in under 10 seconds and missions of that nature. Boss battles will be fun.

iosefe

So I'm nearly at end game for terra. Once I beat his story I save and ignore until when? After aqua main, or last episode?

What I don't get about the future of the KH series' plot is
why would the heroes even want to clash with the new Org 13 with 7 warriors of light? Fighting them with 7 keyblade wielders is what Xehanort wants. If they don't confront him with 7 keyblade wielders, the X-blade won't form and Xehanort is shit out of luck.

It's stated in DDD that they will use the 7 princesses of light if they can't get Sora+co to fight against them

why would the heroes even want to clash with the new Org 13 with 7 warriors of light? Fighting them with 7 keyblade wielders is what Xehanort wants. If they don't confront him with 7 keyblade wielders, the X-blade won't form and Xehanort is shit out of luck.

KH3D actually does touch on this.
It's a damned if they do, damned if they don't scenario: They either gather the seven lights and take on Xehanort, or he goes after the seven princesses of light and accomplishes the same thing with even less resistance towards him.

Psxphile

Now that I've got Terra past the halfway point (Radiant Garden), I've elected to start a new game with Aqua and play that for a bit. Yeah, I remember how hard it was to progress with her... multiplied by a factor of 4 now that I'm playing on Critical. Trying to get in close on the big guys is a sure-fire way to see the continue screen. Eventually, and with smart command melding Aqua will finally be able to do something that resembles actual damage and tank more than two hits near the end of the 2nd world. By the time I beat Maleficent in Dragon form on the 3rd world I had surpassed the 'you'll get your shit wrecked if you so much as blink' phase of Critical and entered the 'have some fun and challenging gameplay' phase. Time for some Mirage Arena.

After Secret Episode tbh.

Depending on what he may or may not have collected during the story, he might have to double back there to actually unlock the Secret (or Last, for that matter) Episode.

Hmm can't seem to figure out the data battles that are stuck on their last hit and I've clearly hit finishers...

If it's Axel, you need to kill him when then the floor isn't ignited.

Bladenic

Throwing in the towel for data battles, at least on proud. I just plain suck I guess, can't beat a single one other than the ones I've already done (Saïx, Zexion, Lex, and Mar). So much for platinum.

Aru

Man, after playing KH:DDD and rewatching the intro
which is basically a teaser for KH3? I really hope that the 7 keyblade wielders are playable in some form. I want to play as Terra, Aqua, Ventus, Riku and Kairi. Also, who would be the 7th wielder? Lea, Mickey? Mickey would be the best candidate since he masters the keyblade already.

Also, regarding KH2
I don't remember at all how Roxas is supposed to be "alive" when you meet him in the last world. I hope it's explained, because it doesn't make any sense.

TheMink

Throwing in the towel for data battles, at least on proud. I just plain suck I guess, can't beat a single one other than the ones I've already done (Saïx, Zexion, Lex, and Mar). So much for platinum.

Zigbar is the easiest fight by far, use final form, use the Heros crest as you second keyblade, every time you win you get a defense up. Do it a few times (you should be able to win in under 3 min I think) and get some defense.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Hmm can't seem to figure out the data battles that are stuck on their last hit and I've clearly hit finishers...

Axel needs to be killed while the floor's not on fire.

Demyx cant's be killed until after he does another long series of water dances that includes a 99 water dancers stage.

Those are the only 2 with special conditions I think.

TheMink

Axel needs to be killed while the floor's not on fire.

Demyx cant's be killed until after he does another long series of water dances that includes a 99 water dancers stage.

Those are the only 2 with special conditions I think.

It's actually lexeaus that was stalling me at one hp haha

Type-0 is a much bigger game than DDD, that's not debatable. Type-0 is almost comparable to a mainline FF with some portable limitations & design choices. DDD is a semi-mainline title that falls short of a mainline game in almost every way. And Type-0 HD is a big upgrade beyond simpler resolution bumps, that's not really debatable either. It's not a full remake that is going to turn it into another game completely and it's not going to look like a "real" PS4 game but it is still a massive improvement over the PSP original.

Stating something "isn't debatale" doesn't actually make it not debatable.

Type 0 has one comparable environment to a mainline Final Fantasy game and that's the Academy. The rest of the game is a mix of copy-pasted, entirely lifeless "cities" consisting of 2-3 dead ends and a handful of "may as well be randomly generated" dungeons that consist of the most boring, drab and lifeless hallways and large rooms imaginable.

DeSolos

Honestly, the only thing that I don't get about DDD's story was
the time travel and the "leaving your body behind" thing. I got Xehanort's plan of gathering 13 versions of himself in order to clash with 7 Warriors of Light to create the X-Blade, and really time travel just seems like an excuse as to how 13 Xehanorts can run around. It's just the convoluted way they explained it.

In KH3D they address that.
Basically Xehanort said if they fail to gather the seven lights, they'll just go after the 7 princesses of heart, like Maleficent did in KH1. So it's either the keyblade wielders face them or the princesses are in danger again. Of course they could try to protect the 7 princesses and try to beat the Xehanorts without getting all 7 lights, but one would assume that they are probably guaranteed to loose in that confrontation. Also from a plot exposition standpoint it would've been super clunky if they had to address EVERY single possible loophole in that one scene at the end of KH3D.

Psxphile

Also, regarding KH2
I don't remember at all how Roxas is supposed to be "alive" when you meet him in the last world. I hope it's explained, because it doesn't make any sense.
Not really explained. But basically
the whole time you were actually battling Roxas within Sora's heart for control and after you beat him, he finally integrates completely (making Final Form available for unlocking).

libregkd

Welp, finally did it

9Z3NNt0.png

Bring on 3D HD!
And KH3 plz

libregkd

I know that's a calculation between first and last trophy popping but the implications are still hilarious.

Same with the Days movie in the first collection lol. Am glad that they at least prevent trophies from popping during the thing and wait until you are back at the menu. (Not that Re:Coded was all that compelling).

Aru

Not really explained. But basically
the whole time you were actually battling Roxas within Sora's heart for control and after you beat him, he finally integrates completely (making Final Form available for unlocking).

That would make sense.
I wonder how can Namine and Kairi coexist though.

In KH3D they address that.
Basically Xehanort said if they fail to gather the seven lights, they'll just go after the 7 princesses of heart, like Maleficent did in KH1. So it's either the keyblade wielders face them or the princesses are in danger again. Of course they could try to protect the 7 princesses and try to beat the Xehanorts without getting all 7 lights, but one would assume that they are probably guaranteed to loose in that confrontation. Also from a plot exposition standpoint it would've been super clunky if they had to address EVERY single possible loophole in that one scene at the end of KH3D.

Yeah, but that whole ending came off as just really bad.
Xehanort comes off as being way too good; time travel is always wonky, especially when it's not the focal point of your story because then it's not particularly well thought out; I personally was not a fan of Nobodies being able to regrow hearts. I understand Organization XIII's original purpose was one giant lie cooked up by Xehanort's master goddamned plan because of that, but I'm still not a fan of that lore change; Then there's the whole thing about the "X" being a symbol of Xehanort, and everyone wearing an "X" is being tracked by him. Plus, Lea being a keyblade wielder...man if we get to play has him, can we switch between that and his chakrams? Like, his chakrams are cool as fuck.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Seven Warriors of Light are: Kairi (also dumb, because she's effectively nothing but a plot device in the entire series with nothing much to her character), Mickey, Aqua (who if I recall based on the story I know of, since I haven't played BbS, is trapped in the Dark World), Riku, Sora, Lea, and then a resurrected Ventus.

Banzai

That would make sense.
I wonder how can Namine and Kairi coexist though.

The explanation for everything Namine is pretty much that shes a messed up special case because she was created by Kairis heart leaving Soras body.
So I would think that if they haven't explained it by now, they probably won't.

The explanation for everything Namine is pretty much that shes a messed up special case because she was created by Kairis heart leaving Soras body.
So I would think that if they haven't explained it by now, they probably won't.

Compound that on to the fact that Kairi is a Princess, which means she can never have a Heartless and thus can't have a Nobody.

Psxphile

What is Birth by Sleep like? How is the gameplay and music compared to the mainline ones?

Like a mainline title despite the fact that it was released on a handheld. Well, I mean... the secret movie isn't in CGI this time but for all intents and purposes it's pretty much a mainline title. Gameplay-wise, the Command Deck is a rather big change but it flows very well.

Captcha

What is Birth by Sleep like? How is the gameplay and music compared to the mainline ones?

2nd best game in the series after 2. Tons of varied abilities, command melding gives you a consistent and satisfying form of progression (well, in addition to gaining levels I guess), command forms and shotlocks are fun, and I think the D-links are the best form of summons the series has had so far. I think I enjoyed its story the most out of any of the games so far as well. The only major downside to me are the BGMs. Almost all of them are terrible and grating. An argument can be made about the graphics too, a lot of the textures are bad, but graphics aren't a huge deal to me.

Falk

that puzzling face
Outside of combat itself, I felt BBS had the most rewarding form of power progression. Melding was super cool, as was the Materia/Esper-style ability unlocking.

Tsunamo

Congrats libregkd!
I shall join you soon
Much much later
I know that's a calculation between first and last trophy popping but the implications are still hilarious.
It's pretty fitting for Re:coded.
Yeah, but that whole ending came off as just really bad.
Xehanort comes off as being way too good; time travel is always wonky, especially when it's not the focal point of your story because then it's not particularly well thought out; I personally was not a fan of Nobodies being able to regrow hearts. I understand Organization XIII's original purpose was one giant lie cooked up by Xehanort's master goddamned plan because of that, but I'm still not a fan of that lore change; Then there's the whole thing about the "X" being a symbol of Xehanort, and everyone wearing an "X" is being tracked by him. Plus, Lea being a keyblade wielder...man if we get to play has him, can we switch between that and his chakrams? Like, his chakrams are cool as fuck.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Seven Warriors of Light are: Kairi (also dumb, because she's effectively nothing but a plot device in the entire series with nothing much to her character), Mickey, Aqua (who if I recall based on the story I know of, since I haven't played BbS, is trapped in the Dark World), Riku, Sora, Lea, and then a resurrected Ventus.
Some of the dialog involving organization 13 in Kingdom Hearts 2 are much more funny in hindsight now after DDD revealing that, especially Demyx. And I agree on the light choices.

I find the gameplay pretty solid. Since each of the character's stories are individually shorter than a usual playthrough of KH1+2, you end up acquiring moves and abilities at a much quicker rate. Each character has something like 80 different commands (categorized into magic, special attacks like Strike Raid, and items), so while some moves will be familiar, there will be many others that'll be new to the series. Most of the fun will come from experimenting with different combinations of commands, since you can only equip eight at a time. And instead of an MP system, commands require cool-down after use.

The Command Styles are probably my favourite part of the combat system. Think of them as Drive Forms, except you activate them by attacking the enemy with specific commands. Using a bunch of fire-elemental commands, for instance, triggers the Firestorm style, where your combos get stronger and your character's weapon becomes wreathed in fire. Then there are advanced styles that can only be accessed if you're already using a style. Using a bunch of ice-commands when Firestorm is active triggers the Blade Charge style, in which your character takes a page from Squall Leonhart's book and transforms the Keyblade into a giant goddamn lightsaber. It's super cool stuff, although naturally you will not begin the game with all these goodies. But once you've clocked about 5 hours in Terra's story mode, you sort of get why he's as strong as he was in KH2:FM+. :p

The music is phenomenal, and not solely because it stands shoulder-to-shoulder with the main games (I mean seriously, even the generic boss theme can get the blood pumping). BbS is the entry where Yoko Shimomura began to incorporate recurring motifs in order to foreshadow plot twists or emphasize aspects of a character. From a storytelling-standpoint, It's absolutely wicked, and easily the reason why she's my favourite video game composer. I'm going to spoiler tag an example in case anyone who's beaten the entire game is interested in the twist I'm referring to (
basically how Vanitas' theme features parts from Ventus' and Sora's themes
). The result is a kickass soundtrack that not only features some of the best tracks in the series but will also be rewarding for players who know the KH music well enough to pick up familiar melodies in new songs.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Can anyone help me with this issue on why I can't unlock the final two cut scenes?
I have finished all the game on Proud Mode, as well did the extra ending, defeating Xenaught as Aqa and getting the cut scene
. I've done all stickers as well but I don't understand where to go for
Realm of darkness to fight the hunter
. Any ideas?

demonkaze

So just four data fights remaining now on critical, Xaldin (about to try now for the first time but his story fight wrecked me so not looking forward to it), Luxord (stupid DM >.<), Vexen (still can't get him) and Xemnas (haven't tried yet).

Shahadan

I hope they bring back Vanitas in KH3 so that everybody is alive at the same time !
Bring back the old Org XIII too while we're at it. Oh wait half of them are already here.
not the right half btw

Also we need more Soras. Clearly, 5 are not enough.

Carbonox

Started Birth by Sleep last night. Gonna take a while to digest all these new gameplay systems. Command Decks, Melding, Shotlock, Command Board (WTF is this? None of it makes sense), etc.

Any tips on things to aim for? Started as Terra.

Kain

Started Birth by Sleep last night. Gonna take a while to digest all these new gameplay systems. Command Decks, Melding, Shotlock, Command Board (WTF is this? None of it makes sense), etc.

Any tips on things to aim for? Started as Terra.

- Forget the board

- Every time you level up try and meld all commands available

- Don't keep old maxed-out commands in your deck (the ones with the little crown), try to always have at least two or three that get exp

- Dedicate at least one command to healing. I use Cure, but some people say Potions are better.

- Abuse shotlock against bosses (one at the beginning, pound it a little, then another one usually)

- Put some magic commands here and there, even when you play with Terra. Magic is awesome in this game

- Abuse the block command. Almost everything can be blocked, the window is big and the counters are brutal. Block/Barrier is the Reflect of BbS

I think you are good to go with these!

- Forget the board

- Every time you level up try and meld all commands available

- Don't keep old maxed-out commands in your deck (the ones with the little crown), try to always have at least two or three that get exp

- Dedicate at least one command to healing. I use Cure, but some people say Potions are better.

- Abuse shotlock against bosses (one at the beginning, pound it a little, then another one usually)

- Put some magic commands here and there, even when you play with Terra. Magic is awesome in this game

- Abuse the block command. Almost everything can be blocked, the window is big and the counters are brutal. Block/Barrier is the Reflect of BbS

I think you are good to go with these!

In addition to this, D-Links are your friend. You can use them for quick emergency healing, they give you special status buffs (Haste, Auto-Life, Drain, just to name a few) and they tend to have commands you likely won't have access to until later in the game.

Falk

that puzzling face
Also if you prefer your own command deck over the D-Links for whatever reason (familiarity, etc.) you can use it solely for the HP refill and immediately cancel it.

Didn't know that till this playthrough :V

Carbonox

Thanks all. Thank god I can forget about the Command Board. Such nonsense.

So is melding recommended all the time? Even if I like using two commands? I guess the combined form would be more useful than the two individual ones? Just wanted clarity on when it's good to meld and when it's not.

For example are there commands I absolutely should meld when I get the opportunity?

Falk

that puzzling face
You generally will have more commands than you can fit on your deck anyway, so getting higher ranks is generally better. (don't forget to get stuff from the moogles whenever you have the dosh - I sold my potions/ethers to fund this lol)

Also stuff like
Mega Flare
which you can make essentially the moment the game gives you a
Slow
if you're willing to grind breaks the game outside of boss fights.

Captcha

Thanks all. Thank god I can forget about the Command Board. Such nonsense.

So is melding recommended all the time? Even if I like using two commands? I guess the combined form would be more useful than the two individual ones? Just wanted clarity on when it's good to meld and when it's not.

For example are there commands I absolutely should meld when I get the opportunity?

Absolutely not always, and the main draw to melding is getting passive abilities. Look up a guide if you care to, or just wing it (although you'll probably eventually end up wasting time getting duplicate abilities). Also, if you're going for the platinum, play the command board once (or however many times it takes) after you do Disney Town on whomever you're currently playing. It is the only way to get a certain D-link. If you don't care about the platinum, avoid the command board for your own sanity.

Falk

that puzzling face
There are other things that you need from the Command Board for platinum as well, most notably:

Focus Block/Guard, a couple of Shotlocks, journal entries, and 7 wins for Mirage Arena levels. (And those abilities can't be obtained in Mirage Arena so you have to do those particular boards twice)

Oh yeah multiply by 3 characters.

Carbonox

I doubt I have the patience to Platinum this too. KH1 and KH2 are enough for me (as well as 100% for 352324252/days/years=3months and Re:Coded). 4/6 ain't bad I guess. :lol

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm fine with Command Board, other than the fact that:

- AI opponents only :'(
- Forced to do it a minimum of 33 times (if you get really lucky with melds becoming shotlocks)

Top Bottom