• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX |OT| Press to pay respects

Luigi87

Wow, I hadn't realized it before, since I haven't played BbS since it's original release in NA, but...

Spoilers for Birth by Sleep, and Dream Drop Distance contained
Lea picking up the toy Keyblade that Terra technically cast the successor spell on, much like Kairi inadvertently touching Aqua's Keyblade, thus starting what would eventually come later on...

So much is actually more thought out than I realized @_@

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Wow, I hadn't realized it before, since I haven't played BbS since it's original release in NA, but...

Lea picking up the toy Keyblade that Terra technically cast the successor spell on, much like Kairi inadvertently touching Aqua's Keyblade, thus starting what would eventually come later on...

.... FUCK!
For every instance of "Nomura is making this shit up as he goes along", there's another instance of "holy crap this was planned"

Huh.

As much shit as I give this series for the stuff that's obviously made up as it goes along, I love the shit like this where you can look back and go "Yeah, that was deliberately planned out."

I think I like Quick Run over Dodge roll. Quick run seems to cover more ground than rolling. Quick Run + Reflect makes for great offense/defense. Xaldin was relatively easier compared to when I fought him 6 years ago. Well, that's after he smacked me around like a pair of floppy tits twice :p.

Can I take a moment here to highlight how great the art direction is Radiant Garden? It's easily some of the best since KH1.

Outer_Gardens_%28Art%29_2.png

Radiant_Garden_Fountains.png

Reactor_%28Art%29.png

Outer_Gardens_%28Art%29_1.png

They did a really great job showing off Hollow Bastion pre-heartless invasion. Even the world's music is grand as all hell.

okay ill stop gushing about birth by sleep now

Shahadan

I still don't understand which castle was hollow bastion in KH2. And why there were two to begin with. And where was the second one during BBS.

My head hurts.

Kinsei

Banned
I think I like Quick Run over Dodge roll. Quick run seems to cover more ground than rolling. Quick Run + Reflect makes for great offense/defense. Xaldin was relatively easier compared to when I fought him 6 years ago. Well, that's after he smacked me around like a pair of floppy tits twice :p.

Dodge roll has more invincibility frames and it has a shorter recovery time than quick run. Trying dodging into attacks instead of away from them and you'll see why dodge roll is so good.

I still don't understand which castle was hollow bastion in KH2. And why there were two to begin with. And where was the second one during BBS.

My head hurts.

This, as well as what exactly is with the numerous Kingdom Heartses (the door in KH1, the Organization-created one in KH2, and the one Xehanort summoned in BBS).

Vashetti

Banned
Where's the best place to level Limit Form?

Seems to take ages in the areas I've been trying.

Also, the best place to level the Summon Gauge?

Carbonox

Enjoying BBS so far. At Snow White's world so not far in. Terra's a bit of a dingbat though.

One thing that stuck out for me is how awesome the soundtrack is. Probably my favourite of the series.

Still getting used to the gameplay systems and frankly I wouldn't carry anything from this game to KH3 other than maybe the Shotlock, D-Link and Command Style systems. Command Deck is far too limiting for my taste.

Overall it's a decent game and the story/cast do interest me a fair bit.

MAtgS

I though Lea
was just given the given the ability by Yen Sid when he demanded it

Was going to start BBS but cant remember what needs done with the save files to ensure thing don't get missed, i know it was posted but I cannot seem to find it, anyone have the info handy?

Shahadan

I thought Lea was
given a keyblade
because Axel is a fan favorite and had to come back for some reason.

:p

(I kinda doubt the usefulness of spoilering stuff)

My head hurts.

The castle you storm in the first game, go in the basement of in KHII, and see the outer grounds of in BBS is one and the same. I'm assuming the other one you're talking about is this:

Which is just a Heartless strongheld set up during or after the Radiant Garden Heartless invasion.

Kinsei

Banned
Was going to start BBS but cant remember what needs done with the save files to ensure thing don't get missed, i know it was posted but I cannot seem to find it, anyone have the info handy?

Make sure you don't reload a completed save file until you finish the final episode. This means you have to make sure to get every Xehanort report for each character before beating their story. Every one is given to you through the plot or in treasure chests except for one of Terra's. You need to complete the Weaver Fever arena match with him to get that one.

Make sure you don't reload a completed save file until you finish the final episode. This means you have to make sure to get every Xehanort report for each character before beating their story. Every one is given to you through the plot or in treasure chests except for one of Terra's. You need to complete the Weaver Fever arena match with him to get that one.

I thought there was something else about the intro being part of Ven's story. Had something to do with the trophies. I'll have to go page by page and try to find it.

Famassu

My head hurts.
Hollow Bastion is simply the name of a kind of "ruined" version of the original castle in Radiant Garden after the Heartless overcame the world.

PSA for those going for BBS plat: Be careful how you do your saves. Start "new game" for each character. You can skip the tutorial.

If you make a save before selecting which character to play and then save a different save for each character (4 or more saves total) you won't be able to get the Collector Trophy. Even if you get it all perfect and get all OTHER report trophies, Collector won't pop until you play through one of the stories again...

No one knows why this happens, exactly, but anyway, only have ONE save per character.

This is for JP version at least, but might be present in NA/EU as well.

This is what I was talking about. I know i usually do the later and have one save at the character selection. Can anyone confirm that a new save is needed from the start for each character?

Falk

that puzzling face
This is what I was talking about. I know i usually do the later and have one save at the character selection. Can anyone confirm that a new save is needed from the start for each character?

... Why would you need the save before character select? From the title menu, you literally select New Game, skip tutorial and you are at the character select.

Aru

Enjoying BBS so far. At Snow White's world so not far in. Terra's a bit of a dingbat though.

One thing that stuck out for me is how awesome the soundtrack is. Probably my favourite of the series.

Still getting used to the gameplay systems and frankly I wouldn't carry anything from this game to KH3 other than maybe the Shotlock, D-Link and Command Style systems. Command Deck is far too limiting for my taste.

Overall it's a decent game and the story/cast do interest me a fair bit.

Playing KH2FM makes me think the return to the classic MP system will be fine, but still, I think the loss of the command style system will put KH3 behind BBS, for me. We'll see. This system offers more flexibility than the combo system of KH2 were you basically tap X to flow your combo and repeat. But KH2's combat is more aerial than BBS', IIRC. That's were it shines, too.

Anyway, I just beat
Roxas
in the last world. Great fight :)
This fight reminded me of the
Roxas fight in Re:Coded. So I guess they basically ripped that boss from KH2FM and put it almost as is in Re:Coded?

Does anyone have any tips for the Unversed Battle Mission in Deep Space? Does it help to have Draw equipped? Because it seems like the Jellyfish takes away whatever meager amount of Orbs I'm able to knock out of it before I can even get to them.

Psxphile

Aw, Command Board ain't so bad. You just gotta know how to game the system. It's definitely a time sink, though. Also: FUCK TIGGER.

I don't think it works the same without an actual keyblade. Consider it symbolic.

It's always been the same castle, in various states of repair/disrepair. KH2's castle is entered from the back, so it seems different. The "other" castle is Villain's Vale. Not sure who constructed it or why but the huge Heartless symbols suggests it happened after the Heartless invaded.

This, as well as what exactly is with the numerous Kingdom Heartses (the door in KH1, the Organization-created one in KH2, and the one Xehanort summoned in BBS).
First door is simple enough, the Door To Darkness that came into being when the Seven Princesses (and their hearts) were brought together, completing Hollow Bastion's keyhole which (somehow) revealed the way to Kingdom Hearts, the light beyond the darkness.

The second door was a gateway created by the worlds to
follow Xemnas after he absorbed the broken Kingdom Hearts.

The two heart-shaped moons you see in KH2 and BBS are, according to Master Xehanort,
artificial Kingdom Hearts created by gathering different types of hearts: the hearts of people (yellow), or the hearts of the worlds themselves (blue). Both Ansem SoD and Xemnas attempted to do just that, but the true Kingdom Hearts lies somewhere deep inside the Realm of Darkness and out-of-reach.

Don't ask me why
the world's Kingdom Hearts appeared during the battle at the Keyblade Graveyard
because that part eludes me.

So, I finished the main game in KH2. Started BBS for the first time. Though the camera could've atleast zoomed out a little bit more seeing it's not on PSP hardware any more. It's either they wanted to keep the same experience as it was in its original release or something something incompetence. I guess I'll just have to get used to it.

libregkd

Well done. Which one was the hardest/worst? I imagine Chain of Memories being a huge pain. Did you really finish that game 6 times?
Worst is easily Re:CoM because of how many times you need to beat that game. Even with Chain of Memories being one of my favorite entries to the series, I could only play through it so many times before needing a break. None of the games were particularly difficult though. I'd say BBS would be the actual hardest if I was going to name a game. Some of the secret bosses can be a bit ridiculous compared to stuff in KH1 or 2.

Love this series though, so it was all fun in the end.

Dodge roll has more invincibility frames and it has a shorter recovery time than quick run. Trying dodging into attacks instead of away from them and you'll see why dodge roll is so good.
Hmmm interesting. Right now I can't level limit form since I don't have limits yet. Unless I can use the Trinity limit, which I can't figure out how to activate it, I'm with quick run.

All Drive Forms and Summon Gauge maxed out.

Feels good man.
Can't wait until I achieve the same. I haven't used a summoning yet though. Drive forms all the time.

First door is simple enough, the Door To Darkness that came into being when the Seven Princesses (and their hearts) were brought together, completing Hollow Bastion's keyhole which (somehow) revealed the way to Kingdom Hearts, the light beyond the darkness.

The second door was a gateway created by the worlds to
follow Xemnas after he absorbed the broken Kingdom Hearts.

The two heart-shaped moons you see in KH2 and BBS are, according to Master Xehanort,
artificial Kingdom Hearts created by gathering different types of hearts: the hearts of people (yellow), or the hearts of the worlds themselves (blue). Both Ansem SoD and Xemnas attempted to do just that, but the true Kingdom Hearts lies somewhere deep inside the Realm of Darkness and out-of-reach.

Don't ask me why
the world's Kingdom Hearts appeared during the battle at the Keyblade Graveyard
because that part eludes me.

Oh, by the "Organization-created one" I meant their artificial Kingdom Hearts. My bad; I knew why the worlds made the second door.

It's easy understanding within your context but I don't think the games explained it that well? For a while I was under the impression the Door to Darkness was Kingdom Hearts and was confused as to how the one in KH2 treated them as one and the same. At least BBS's explanation of artificiality cleared some things up.

SykoTech

Hmmm interesting. Right now I can't level limit form since I don't have limits yet. Unless I can use the Trinity limit, which I can't figure out how to activate it, I'm with quick run.

Limit Form has its own Limits available. Hold L1 and choose.

And yes, Dodge Roll is awesome. Its removal was my biggest complaint about vanilla KHII. Quick Run paled in comparison as a substitute. Feels great to have it back again, and I hope they never remove it again in KHIII or any other future games.

When in Limit Form, you press L1, and then there's the limits. Sonic Blade, Ars Arcanum, Strike Raid. Use those successfully (that means hitting the reactions for it) and you get 1 EXP for each one. Mind yourself, though, because they burn MP and I think they burn Drive meter as well.

I love Limit Form.

Falk

that puzzling face
Limit Form has its own Limits. Hold L1 and choose.

Preemptive reminder that for the limit to count towards Limit Form XP, you need to activate the finisher, not just activate the limit. So keep spamming triangle till the entire thing is over.

edit: slower than sebastian

?
The limits you have to use are those available during Limit Form.

Limit Form has its own Limits available. Hold L1 and choose.

And yes, Dodge Roll is awesome. Its removal was my biggest complaint about vanilla KHII. Quick Run paled in comparison as a substitute. Feels great to have it back again, and I hope they never remove it again in KHIII or any other future games.
WOW I feel so retarded now. I had no idea I was supposed to hold L1. I missed the grinding opportunity with the 1,000 heartless. Thanks for telling me this.

Level up Limit Form during the 1000 Heartless battle. It's super easy if you have the ability that gives you MP when you take damage (MP Rage?).

Edit: Welp.

MAtgS

Just had a weird glitch happen: selected 100 acre woods command board in MA and ended up in Deep Space instead despite not getting that far in the story.

Top Bottom