• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Under Fire: is it me or this RTS rocks ?

eso76

I'm only half an hour into it (reviewable code, we were told it's lacking some polish here and there, and free camera mode is not implemented yet ) and it already looks very deep and yet very intuitive.
An Rts meets Beat em up (a la' Dinasty Warriors) meets Action Rpg and it feels like a very solid game, with so many possibilities to master, armies of different classes of soldiers you can control, items, skills and techniques to buy/learn...
very polished and...uhm... 'complete'.

Haven't touched the multiplayer yet, but it should definately work great on live.
On top of that, it looks really good; i'm only on my fourth mission and already witnessed battles involving 60+ detailed characters.

Anyone else had the chance to try it ?
I'm not a big fan of strategics and i haven't played many, so i'd like to know the opinion of RTS fans out there.

Btw, there's only one review out for KUF at the moment, and it scored 95/100

Alex

I was very interested at first, hoping it'd be more akin to Sacrifice if anything, but it looks exactly like Kessen meets Dynasty Warriors. Way too clunky and one sided. And I've had way too much of the Koei flavor this generation.

What I wouldn't give for a Sacrifice sequel, sigh.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
kudos to Microsoft for picking this bad boy up... It's too bad they weren't smart enough to snatch up the Burnout/Black developers before EA did :(

eso76

"The one review is from play magazine"

Uhm. I don't know, is it a bad thing ? :)

Alex:
Well, i can tell you that i couldn't touch DW4 again after my first game; i found it quite unplayable and un-enjoyable. I know someone loves it, but i personally found it quite bad. Anyway, i'm really liking this. Doesn't feel clunky; sure the combat system is not too articulated (so far at least), but it works and the strategic part seems to be very deep.
If you have any questions about the game, i'll try to answer, unfortunately i don't know sacrifice and i can't compare them

Matt

open_mouth_ said:
kudos to Microsoft for picking this bad boy up... It's too bad they weren't smart enough to snatch up the Burnout/Black developers before EA did :(
...Why?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
open_mouth_ said:
cause it'd have been a wise business move and they could've used the extra exclusives. Is that so wrong?

Yes because then I wouldn't be able to play those games.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
This game has been in development for a while. Good to see some devs taking their sweet time polishing their sh!t. We need more Kojima-style development.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
dont think it has anything to do with polish in this case, it got delayed first to implement live play, then phantagram got bought and everything got thrown up in the air, now they are finally independant again and have found a publisher, i wonder how much of the time we've been waiting has actually been spent developing the game.

eso76

It actually looks polished enough. It shows it took some time to develop. though it's definately true that the delays were mostly due to problems with publishers and only a fraction of the time was actually spent polishing and programming.
That said, i'm quite surprised.
Sure there's some draw in and some minor issues; it's not 'retro studios' polished or anything, that goes without saying, but it surprised me how competent the developers proved to be.
Again, i haven't played many titles of this kind, so bear with me. Maybe there's dozens better Rts available from Koei which i haven't played, and keep in mind that i had no big expectations on KUF (actually, i had forgotten about it and wasn't even expecting the game itself to be due in sept) and i'm surprised because i was probably largely underestimating the guys at Phantagram, but from what i've read and heard, this is definately above Koei's average.

Anyway, i don't want to fuel anyone's expectations, since my RTS education might not allow me to review this game competently.
My friend, who's more experience with this kind of games and who is writing the review is really liking it though.

Top Bottom