• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Haunted

Good question, I'd like to know this as well. Oblivion drove me nuts with their level scaling. I dont want the game to stop being a challenge, but I would like to feel that my character is turning into a badass after I gain a few levels.
There's zoned scaling like in Fallout New Vegas.

ReaperXL7

Ya, they bought them like a year or so ago? Then they changed some things around to make it fit with amalur. Used to be a THQ game, but THQ couldn't support them, or anyone really.

38 studios bought BigHugeGames in 2009, The game they were making was in development for a long time, but THQ was going to pull the plug because RPGs are too expensive to make. So 38 bought both BigHuge and their tech for their in development RPG.

Khezu

The way jeff described the level scalling on the giant bombcast, what he noticed was that the over world zones were static, but the dungeons involved with quests would scale up to you, as all the mobs on the outsider were greys, and the ones inside were at least yellow to him.

ReaperXL7

so generally it seems most are going with hybrid builds. Anyone choosing to go for a pure build for their first playthrough? I gotta be honest although i'm going to play a M/S character first, a pure rogue does seem like it could be very fun to play.

Normally I enjoy playing straight warriors in most RPGs, but they really made a system thats viable to create whatever kind of character you want. Atleast it seems that way so far.

cametall

Damn, these next two weeks are going to hurt my wallet.

Amalur, Gotham City Impostors, and Twisted Metal. Though if I could only get one it'd be Amalur.

Going to try out a hybrid rogue-mage character. Haven't really looked at the rogue tree too much but I'd like to make a high crit chance chakram user.

All the white text in the game is completely optional.
The blue text with a question mark at the very top of the list is always quest related.
You never have to talk to any non-quest giver, you never have to select any of the flavor text to progress. You can beat the entire game by just choosing the replies you want in the dialogue wheel and then skip out of the conversation when the flavor list shows up.
That was one of their biggest design decisions: Players have the OPTION of tons of dialogue but they don't NEED it.

Yeah, I'm well aware of this. My point is (at least in the demo) every person you can talk to had several white dialogue options... but so much of it was extraneous for extraneous' sake. I'm the type to read every single codex entry in Mass Effect and (try to read) every single piece of text I come across in Skyrim. The problem is that minor NPC's have comments on random things that they don't *need* to have comments about (for example: some other NPC's personal sidequest).

If it was just optional flavor text that's fine, but I've noticed on several occasions that picking a dialogue option opens up new dialogue options. Although I haven't seen it in the demo, who's to say that picking an optional white dialogue option doesn't open up a quest-related blue dialogue option? (which is a mechanic many RPG's [like Dragon Age] employ). The completionist in me is always thinking "maybe this seemingly throwaway NPC might have some sidequest with awesome loot". The extra extraneous dialogue options don't help that compulsion.

It's definitely a minor niggle and by no means a dealbreaker for me, I just think they could have streamlined it a bit. (And I wanted to talk about something different in this thread)

Nista

so generally it seems most are going with hybrid builds. Anyone choosing to go for a pure build for their first playthrough? I gotta be honest although i'm going to play a M/S character first, a pure rogue does seem like it could be very fun to play.

I may give up on the Universalist and do a straight mage build depending on how tired I am on Tuesday.

Atruvius

Normally I enjoy playing straight warriors in most RPGs, but they really made a system thats viable to create whatever kind of character you want. Atleast it seems that way so far.
I'm going pure rogue and then pure mage. I want to be able to use every finesse skill I can. Don't want to spread myself too thin by trying to be a jack of all trades.

spirity

I'm going pure mage, but I have a weird fetish when it comes to mages. In most games, and most mage classes, you have 3 types of elemental attacks. Fire, storm/electricity, and ice/frost.

I love ice and frost. I don't know why, I just do. Fire tends to be the high damage attack, storm sits inbetween fire and ice, and ice does typically the least but has a slowing effect. I just love the look of frost and ice and will happily gimp my dps just so I can gaze at the lovely frost effects. My build and equipment will focus heavily on ice. I'm a frostaholic :p

AndyD

aka andydumi
I sort of want to play a daggers/magic build. I usually go full warrior on first playthroughs, but not this time.

ReaperXL7

I'm going pure rogue and then pure mage. I want to be able to use every finesse skill I can. Don't want to spread myself too thin by trying to be a jack of all trades.
One of the things I love is how the devs stated that every destiny card features a unique armor set that can be found in the world. The Avenger armor is in the game for sure because I obtained the chest in the demo:

JTjvTl.jpg

or atleast it looked pretty similar.

Edit: Yep found a screen of it:

zaQkjl.jpg

I keep going back and forth, varying this build, switching numbers around, but Im liking this build for my first play thru: http://amalurfoundry.com/calculator...020003455534606050&00050000500000000000000000

Pure rogue for me. I love the stealth kill animations with the daggers, and I just want to be able to use all three daggers/faeblades/bow, to their max. I think late in the game if I feel like something new then I will switch to rogue/mage.

Pure rogue for me. I love the stealth kill animations with the daggers, and I just want to be able to use all three daggers/faeblades/bow, to their max. I think late in the game if I feel like something new then I will switch to rogue/mage.
Pretty much this. Gonna go pure rogue until near lvl 40, then the respec fun begins! I'm so glad they designed the game to cater to indecisive folks like me so I can actually finish the game. I've got 3 different characters on skyrim, ranging from lvl 25 to 40 and I haven't finished any of the guilds.. or the main quest.. or the civil war..

Soroc

Funny I played the demo once and was pretty impressed.

I didn't notice at the time but didn't get around to exploring much either. Just finished the handholding area until you got out into the world.

But I'm just realizing now there is no jump in the game :-/

Games like this I like being able to jump so thats a bummer for me....

Still deciding...

One of the things I love is how the devs stated that every destiny card features a unique armor set that can be found in the world. The Avenger armor is in the game for sure because I obtained the chest in the demo:

JTjvTl.jpg

or atleast it looked pretty similar.

Edit: Yep found a screen of it:

zaQkjl.jpg

Nice, I really like how they let you know its apart of a set and it shows that he only had one piece of the armor.

I honestly don't remember reading anything about a Reckoning 2. And I have been a Reckoning junky this past week, reading all the info and Q&A's on their main site.

Amir0x

Banned
This and they pretty much confirmed Reckoning 2.

this is the dude who said they "pretty much confirmed Recknoning 2", so i'm just going off of this. I refuse to spoil myself on this game so random comments in this topic and the demo are all I know

TRios Zen

Over the course of the last week, this game went from, "hey isn't that the game that Schilling is making" to "pre-ordered"...because of the demo.

Nothing I found mind-blowing bat-shit crazy good about the demo, but 4 nights after downloading and first playing it, I kept telling myself "next play-through I'll try..." any game that sneaks up on you like that is just plain oozing fun - looking forward to Tuesday, though I have no idea when I'll find the time to play!

Klyka

Banned
Yeah, I'm well aware of this. My point is (at least in the demo) every person you can talk to had several white dialogue options... but so much of it was extraneous for extraneous' sake. I'm the type to read every single codex entry in Mass Effect and (try to read) every single piece of text I come across in Skyrim. The problem is that minor NPC's have comments on random things that they don't *need* to have comments about (for example: some other NPC's personal sidequest).

If it was just optional flavor text that's fine, but I've noticed on several occasions that picking a dialogue option opens up new dialogue options. Although I haven't seen it in the demo, who's to say that picking an optional white dialogue option doesn't open up a quest-related blue dialogue option? (which is a mechanic many RPG's [like Dragon Age] employ). The completionist in me is always thinking "maybe this seemingly throwaway NPC might have some sidequest with awesome loot". The extra extraneous dialogue options don't help that compulsion.

It's definitely a minor niggle and by no means a dealbreaker for me, I just think they could have streamlined it a bit. (And I wanted to talk about something different in this thread)

They said that the white options will never, ever open up any quests/content for you.
They specifically did this so that no one would ever have to click/read everything to see all the content.

Khezu

this is the dude who said they "pretty much confirmed Recknoning 2", so i'm just going off of this. I refuse to spoil myself on this game so random comments in this topic and the demo are all I know

Kind of I guess, we know there working on the MMO and "RPG2".

Could be another reckoning, or another type of RPG set in the same world, who knows.

Would love for BHG to eventually make a RTS set in amular and maybe like just completely rip off warcraft 3, cause blizzard won't get off that ass and make WC4, the fuckers.

Jac_Solar

Noticed someone posted link to a new review at the official forums (And a quote from another review.) --

"2 new reviews: PSM3 and OXM US
Alright, came across some new reviews out on sites though haven't seen the full ones myself.

PSM3: Rating is a 7.8. "For an RPG it's swift and immediate, capturing a natural flow rarely permitted by the genre's statistical bent."

"Reckoning is remarkably accessible. Skill trees and abilities are easily reset, creating new fighting styles from scratch."

"38 Studios biggest misstep is streamlining the world. Amalur never convinces as a physical place, it's vast world map gradually revealed as a network of tiny conjoined zones. They're pretty enough, but the sheer scale of the world is never seen. Nor is it ever felt. Where Skyrim gives us random dragon attacks and spontaneous outbreaks of magical violence, Amalur is a series of corridors dotted with predetermined bear attacks."

"Verdict - Amalur is a brisk action blast that just happens to last upwards of 50 hours. Not the best world ever built, but a fun place to spend a few weeks."

OXM US: http://www.computerandvideogames.co...amalur-reckoning-review-first-verdict-is-810/

Rating is 8/10.

"feels like an old-school role-playing game, and at other times, you can see its massively multiplayer roots"

Praise R.A. Salvatore for the "fantastic amount of lore and a vibrant world."

The game's flaws "come in trying to fit too much into its package" and "some quests grow tedious, especially those that involve fetching X of this or killing Y of that."

On top of those niggles "encounters can feel like they're right out of an MMO, with several weaker monsters accompanied by a stronger one. And the story, while enjoyable, also tends to hold back the game. A hero with amnesia? Even if that hero has come back from the dead, it's a cliché best avoided."

Overall, a "few soft spots" are what keep the game from being truly amazing, but "it's a great RPG" nonetheless."

Copied from MrNox post, of the links http://forums.reckoning.amalur.com/showthread.php?3540-2-new-reviews-PSM3-and-OXM-US

Amir0x

Banned
fuck warcraft, they can just find a way to make a new Rise of Nations game and I'd be happy. Rise of Nation is the best shit ever

Khezu

On top of those niggles "encounters can feel like they're right out of an MMO, with several weaker monsters accompanied by a stronger one

That's not really exclusive to MMO's. This game seems to love it though, especially from the live stream where they had an encounter with the mermen and one naga like dude, when the naga started charging its lightning attack, all the mermen would do the same and do a giant combination lightning storm attack. Hope there is more of that in the final game.

"38 Studios biggest misstep is streamlining the world. Amalur never convinces as a physical place, it's vast world map gradually revealed as a network of tiny conjoined zones. They're pretty enough, but the sheer scale of the world is never seen. Nor is it ever felt. Where Skyrim gives us random dragon attacks and spontaneous outbreaks of magical violence, Amalur is a series of corridors dotted with predetermined bear attacks."

Reaper kinda sorta touched on this a page or so ago, but reading this, here's my take. I, for one, find myself not caring for open world sandbox games. I dont mind spending a lot of time on a game, but I personally dont like to burn a few hours and get absolutely nothing done. The "anywhere you can see, you can get to"-type open world is great and all, but it does nothing for the gameplay or experience IMO. "Oh, I see a mountain over there!" 20 minutes later.... "yep, sure was a mountain over here."

I get the allure of open world, going where you see, and understand the dislike (but not the hatred) for invisible walls. But I personally love a game like this, where the map and world is huge, but does have some streamlining to it. Perhaps Im just really weird.

cametall

Just heard Channing Crowder (football player) and Sid Rosenberg talking about KoA on the Sid Rosenberg show, a sports radio show down here in South Florida.

I guess Curt was on the show earlier, but missed that segment :( ...

Syn23

I think I'll go with a build more or less like this one:
Might
Brutal Weaponry I: (Rank: 3 / 3)
Harpoon: (Rank: 4 / 4)
Skillful Defense: (Rank: 5 / 5)
Brutal Weaponry II: (Rank: 3 / 3)
Greatsword Mastery: (Rank: 6 / 6)
Quake: (Rank: 5 / 5)
Adrenaline Surge: (Rank: 5 / 5)
Hardy Constitution: (Rank: 6 / 6)
Concussive Force: (Rank: 5 / 5)
Aftershock: (Rank: 5 / 5)
Relentless Assault: (Rank: 6 / 6)
Power Strike: (Rank: 3 / 5)
Brutal Weaponry III: (Rank: 3 / 3)
Bulwark: (Rank: 5 / 5)
Battle Frenzy: (Rank: 5 / 5)
Vengeance: (Rank: 6 / 6)
Brutal Weaponry IV: (Rank: 3 / 3)
Stoneskin: (Rank: 5 / 5)
Bloodlust: (Rank: 5 / 5)
War Cry: (Rank: 6 / 6)
Celerity: (Rank: 3 / 3)
Wrath: (Rank: 6 / 6)
Terror: (Rank: 6 / 6)

Finesse
Precise Weaponry I: (Rank: 3 / 3)
Shadow Flare: (Rank: 2 / 5)
Precise Weaponry II: (Rank: 3 / 3)
Faeblade Mastery: (Rank: 6 / 6)

Destinies Unlocked
Warlord: +30% Melee Attack Damage, +20% Block Efficiency, +20% Stun Duration, +20% Chance to Stun
Last Stand - Automatically resurrect with 20% Health. Health drains until an enemy is killed.

Keikaku

I'm going for a Universalist build my first time through simply because I want to 100% all of the different factions and quest lines on my first playthrough.

On subsequent playthroughs, I aim to do a pure mage, pure dagger rogue, pure swordsman and pure archer in that order.

Nista

oh ew, ok then :p

They confirmed Reckoning 2, someone said, but did they really confirm it? Don't they have to wait to see if anyone buys this one before it gets the official green light?

You are correct sir. No sensible publisher spends money on a sequel unless the first game does well.

Sadly Brian is long gone from BHG, so there won't be another RoN game from them. An Amalur RTS could be fun though.

I'd rather see a sequel to Alpha Centauri myself. (laments long dead IP)

spirity

That's a tad worrying.

scy

My "problem" with the pure builds is that they don't look all that exciting Destiny wise over the Hybrid ones.

That said, itemization is the pivotal last piece of the proverbial puzzle. If there's really amazing 109+ "stat" requirement equipment, that'll really make pure builds a lot more enticing (or Hybrid builds less exciting).

That's a tad worrying.

It's not really telling us anything anyone couldn't have seen for themselves first-hand in the demo - the game world is made up of a series of zones with enemies placed at certain points inside those zones, rather than roaming about freely. He's basically saying "in Skyrim you can see really far and then walk there, and sometimes dragons will attack you randomly and stuff."

Khezu

That's a tad worrying.

We have seen a good chunk of the zones, and there all very open, except for maybe the dark jungle/swamp looking place.

Its just not a wacky sandbox type game where a bunch random things can happen at any moment.

spirity

It's not really telling us anything anyone couldn't have seen for themselves first-hand in the demo - the game world is made up of a series of zones with enemies placed at certain points inside those zones, rather than roaming about freely. He's basically saying "in Skyrim you can see really far and then walk there, and sometimes dragons will attack you randomly and stuff."

I was more concerned with the comment "but the sheer scale of the world is never seen. Nor is it ever felt." In the demo I felt it was, but maybe thats not representative of the retail version.

Klyka

Banned
I was more concerned with the comment "but the sheer scale of the world is never seen. Nor is it ever felt." In the demo I felt it was, but maybe thats not representative of the retail version.

I think what they mean, is that in Skyrim you can stand on top of the highest mountain and see THE ENTIRE GAME WORLD. Everything you see, you can walk to.

In Amalur, there probably isn't this kind of location (or if there is, they haven't seen it in their time with the game) so you never "see the whole scale".

Damn, I have a feeling I'm gonna be spending quite a bit of dough on that respec option. Still can't make up my mind. :)

My running plan right now is to go pure mage from the get-go, then respec once I'm at a higher level. I figure the mage has the coolest starter abilities, and I love how flashy those chakrams, staves, and specters are. After I compile enough points to unlock the top tier moves, I'll probably respec to rogue/warrior hybrid and play around with the max bow.

xanaty

Neo Member
Does anyone (maybe Curt can answer this) know if the Steam version will have the DLC purchaseable within Steam and not have to jump through hoops like with the Mass Effect and Dragon Age DLC where you have to go to an external site (Bioware Social) to purchase from there? I would love to play Mass Effect 2 on PC but it's so crazy in how they have the DLC purchasing that I just stayed with the XBOX version for that game.

gehrig38

Its not there first game, well not the first game for some of the dudes on the team at least, BHG made rise of nations before this, which was a pretty good RTS from what I remember. This is just there first RPG, this game is even using there RTS engine.

No it's not, not even close. It's a new engine and new tech.

I'll be curious to hear from you guys, your take on the open world vs corridors thing. I don't feel it, that doesn't mean others won't but I sure never have.

Derrick01

Banned
Does anyone (maybe Curt can answer this) know if the Steam version will have the DLC purchaseable within Steam and not have to jump through hoops like with the Mass Effect and Dragon Age DLC where you have to go to an external site (Bioware Social) to purchase from there? I would love to play Mass Effect 2 on PC but it's so crazy in how they have the DLC purchasing that I just stayed with the XBOX version for that game.

The steam version is being self published by them so I have to imagine any DLC would also be available on steam. I'm sure Curt or someone else can give final confirmation on that, but I'm just saying it wouldn't make sense to me to self publish, give the game all of the cool features that steam people want and then make them buy DLC elsewhere.

But then again they could have had a DLC deal in place with EA, no one would know that but them.

Top Bottom