• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

hitmon

Agreed, and appreciated.
FWIW I just realized today, and it just totally flew by me, that I was handing out copies of OUR GAME........
Ya, let that sink in. Wasn't paying, attention, then I realized HOLY CRAP, there are actual GAMES in these game covers....
How am I not logged in and playing already????
Going PC version, Xbox controller, full on finesse for my 1st play through...

Exactly how I plan to play it. It really feels natural to play it with the Xbox 360 controller after playing the demo.

madmook

Just pre-ordered the 360 version at Amazon, even though I've sworn off buying new releases at full price (only making an exception for this game, then going back to curmudgeonly status). It's cool to see devs that are so passionate about their game, and that are actively engaging with the community.

Hawk269

Can anyone from the Dev team let us in on what kind of tweaks we can make at the Driver level for the game?

I know not all PC games can benefit from using driver over-rides, but just wondering if the Engine they are using would allow stuff like 16xaa or any other little driver tricks we can throw at it to get the best IQ out of the game as we can.

Also is there more graphical settings in the retail game versus the demo? I know that there was no AA options, so just wondering if there are now.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Questions. This is important for me.

1. Does the appearance of the hero can be customized like Skyrim or Mass Effect? I would be very disappointed if they cannot be customized or all that we can do is select from a bunch of presets without the ability to tweak them.

2. Branching storylines? Multi-path decisions that affect game-world (like perhaps joining one faction makes other faction hostile/friendly towards you or something)? "Good" or "Bad" choices? Are those features available in this game?

3. Are there towns where we can talk to a bunch of characters to receive world expositions, quests, sidequests, that kind of stuff?

4. How much open is the world?

Thanks for any answers :)

linko9

1. Does the appearance of the hero can be customized like Skyrim or Mass Effect? I would be very disappointed if they cannot be customized or all that we can do is select from a bunch of presets without the ability to tweak them.

2. Branching storylines? Multi-path decisions that affect game-world (like perhaps joining one faction makes other faction hostile/friendly towards you or something)? "Good" or "Bad" choices? Are those features available in this game?

3. Are there towns where we can talk to a bunch of characters to receive world expositions, quests, sidequests, that kind of stuff?

4. How much open is the world?

Thanks for any answers :)

1) The head and skin color can be customized, though not as much as in Bethesda games or ME.

2) IDK
3) Yes
4) Think Twilight Princess or MonHun but much bigger; lots of interconnected fields, not one giant field like Skyrim

Khezu

I'm expecting huge amounts of hyperbole, IGN better not disappoint.

The live stream should be pretty cool though.

Lol, wait, Bobby Hebert got a copy of this? As in Cajun Cannon WWL radio Bobby Hebert?

If so, I'm gonna have to call in to the station tomorrow during sports talk and ask about the game :p

Rokam

Is it possible to change difficulty on the fly or will it be restricted to whatever we choose at the beginning?

Atruvius

I hate to be that guy, but are there any glaring differences between the 360 and PS3 versions of the game? Or the demo that is...
360 demo seems to be lower resolution than PS3 going by different posts. PS3 demo's framerate fluctuates more but that's been fixed for the full release, or so says the devs.

Muskweeto

Is it possible to change difficulty on the fly or will it be restricted to whatever we choose at the beginning?

I would also like to know this, I'm afraid the game might become too hard on the hardest difficulty after I've already gotten too far to want to start over.

scy

Just to add to this, you get the normal selection of face style (from a set of presets), skin color, hair style, hair color, eye color, tattoos/jewelry, etc. It's serviceable customization but not everything handed over to you.

I also await the "What Elder Scrolls/fable/cooking mama can learn from Reckoning" troll/hit grabbing write up as well.

Combat|Loot System / Execution / Visceral feedback, I wager.

Play it 10 times and you can play it for 4 hours and 50 minutes. ;)

Because the math nerd in me can't sit quiet, 45m times 10 is 7 hours, 30 minutes (450 minutes).

Which also puts my apparently nearly 30 hours on the demo into a terrible, terrible perspective.

Sorry if this has already been posted. Is there any good deals for the PC version? I saw it was $50 for Amazon Digital. Is there anything better?

"We recently had a content completion play through about two months ago… so, QA guys, they’ve been playing the game for years, they know all there is to know about it, it’s ins and outs, etc… their goal is to play everything. Do every quest, every dungeon, everything possible, but as fast as possible."

"That means easy difficulty, skip all cut scenes and dialogue, sprint everywhere that’s sprintable, fast travel everywhere you can, don’t do any combat you don’t need to do… that all took around 200 hours, and that was a speed run."

If this is true in the end these guys need to share their techniques because they have been able to put so much content on 1 disc. I am not saying that the developers are lying, especially not when Curt has shown so much love for us gamers by signing up on NeoGAF, but 200 hours of content in a freaking speed-run is absolutely insane.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Good on Curt for pushing his game and almost doing the "door by door" kind of campaigning that people really appreciate. It will be rewarded with a Steam sale next week.

It really does look like a great fun arcade style action RPG with a huge world that looks wonderful.

Cheech

I played all 3 version demos, and the one that impresses me the most is the PS3 version. It looked much closer to the PC version than 360, IMO.

I'm still not quite sold on this game yet though. I couldn't get over feeling that the story/dialog was a bit forced. It felt kind of like Final Fantasy character interaction, with just reams of banal nonsense.

Right now, I am thinking $30 is my magic price point for this game.

Why couldnt this game got released a week earlier. Upcoming weekend would have been the perfect time considering the ''stay in your homes'' forecast and that is what I was planning to do in the first place.

Geoff9920

I've been focused on clearing out my backlog of unfinished / never played games, but I couldn't pass this game up after playing the demo. Pre-ordered the game on Steam. Now I just need to decide if I'll be going with an all magic or an all finesse build. Decisions decisions...

ParityBit

Why couldnt this game got released a week earlier. Upcoming weekend would have been the perfect time considering the ''stay in your homes'' forecast and that is what I was planning to do in the first place.

No time, Super Bowl party!

I really want to get this game, but I kind of feel guilty for not finishing Skyrim. But the problem is Skyrim is -boring- the shit out of me, primarily due to the terrible combat (I enjoy the other things.) Kingdoms has great combat, giving me the impression that this game would be osmething like a Skyrim-lite but with well designed (for an RPG) combat. Not sure...damn you life and your important life changing choices..../

Amir0x

Banned
If this is true in the end these guys need to share their techniques because they have been able to put so much content on 1 disc. I am not saying that the developers are lying, especially not when Curt has shown so much love for us gamers by signing up on NeoGAF, but 200 hours of content in a freaking speed-run is absolutely insane.

it seems a lot of quests might be pretty fetchy, so that tends to arbitrarily extend playtime a lot.

I really want to get this game, but I kind of feel guilty for not finishing Skyrim. But the problem is Skyrim is -boring- the shit out of me, primarily due to the terrible combat (I enjoy the other things.) Kingdoms has great combat, giving me the impression that this game would be osmething like a Skyrim-lite but with well designed (for an RPG) combat. Not sure...damn you life and your important life changing choices..../
I'm in the same boat except I don't feel bad about buying KoA. You said it yourself, the combat should keep you happy and interested so I say go for it!

I always give oné tip to people who are planning on getting Skyrim. Do not expect a game where the combat will feel like christ his second coming. It is nothing new. Nothing groundbreaking. It does its job and feels like a decent enough approach to overall awesome experience.

Kem0sabe

it seems a lot of quests might be pretty fetchy, so that tends to arbitrarily extend playtime a lot.

Hopefully those will be the minority, tho from one of the reviews posted i got the impression that a lot of quests were blatant kill/fetch quests.

It´s strange the evolution of rpg´s these last few years, we went from masterpieces of design/writing in the form of Baldurs Gate / Fallout / Planescape to games where instead of intricate quests we just have poorly disguised (by dramatic voice overs) kill quests.

I blame Bioware and their ever evolving concept of what an rpg should be in order to appeal to the masses. Like it or not, the influence the rest of rpg developers with their games, lately in a very bad way.

kitzkozan

If it's mostly mmo style content, the game can easily have 200+ hours of content. :] WoW vanilla required at least that much to reach level 60 and it was a 4-5G game at the time. Since the graphics are somewhat similar and probably not taxing, I can easily see how there's 200 hours of content.

I'm not sure how much this has been discussed but I was wondering, how do stat requirements factor in to which weapons and armor you can equip/wear? Specifically in the case of armor, is there anything keeping a pure mage character from being fully decked out in a huge and heavy set of metal armor? I'm guessing there has to be some system to control this (maybe based on the number of points you've put into each skill tree?) but I'm not clear on the details.

Anyone have some info on this?

kitzkozan

Hopefully those will be the minority, tho from one of the reviews posted i got the impression that a lot of quests were blatant kill/fetch quests.

It´s strange the evolution of rpg´s these last few years, we went from masterpieces of design/writing in the form of Baldurs Gate / Fallout / Planescape to games where instead of intricate quests we just have poorly disguised (by dramatic voice overs) kill quests.

I blame Bioware and their ever evolving concept of what an rpg should be in order to appeal to the masses. Like it or not, the influence the rest of rpg developers with their games, lately in a very bad way.

Bioware ain't to blame, give it up. Blizzard has been influencing the rpg scene far more thx to the insane success of WoW. It became so big that a lot of publisher expect new gamers to have played that game (even dungeons & dragons 4th edition started to implement mmo concept) and thus design game with mmo style content. Even Xenoblade has WoW style content.

Bioware ain't to blame, give it up. Blizzard has been influencing the rpg scene far more thx to the insane success of WoW. It became so big that a lot of publisher expect new gamers to have played that game (even dungeons & dragons 4th edition started to implement mmo concept) and thus design game with mmo style content. Even Xenoblade has WoW style content.

I am fine with fetch and kill quests as long as the progress of leveling up is slow and the level cap is not reached within 70 hours of playing. I am not worried about the loot and the incentive to keep chasing better armor, though.

Kem0sabe

Your right that WoW has played an even larger role, but Blizzard has been innovating on standard mmo quest design in these last few years with more varied quest types and objectives... instead if you look at bioware´s attempt at an mmo, star wars the old republic, there are no other quest types apart from kill or fetch quests.

On the single player department, bioware went from baldurs gate 2 to neverwinter nights, then to jade empire, then to mass effect, then to mass effect 2 and lastly the dragon age series. Even their attempt at a "hardcore" rpg (DA1) was laughably innocuous and simple when compared to the game it tried to emulate (BG).

Concerning the topic and KoA, i have to say that i had much more fun lately, playing KoA (demo) than i ever had DA2.

my Amazon order for FFXIII-2 is on hold now. I want to see some reviews and stuff before I make a decision.

I am very interested in this game.

I'm not sure how much this has been discussed but I was wondering, how do stat requirements factor in to which weapons and armor you can equip/wear? Specifically in the case of armor, is there anything keeping a pure mage character from being fully decked out in a huge and heavy set of metal armor? I'm guessing there has to be some system to control this (maybe based on the number of points you've put into each skill tree?) but I'm not clear on the details.

Anyone have some info on this?

For certain armor you have to have the right amount of points invested in a skill tree. So a pure mage just cant throw on some bad ass heavy plate armor. But if you are going for the jack of all trade destinies, I think the Universalists Destiny lowers those requirements.

Odrion

Banned
Well, Bethesda managed to put Skyrim on a single disc.

Top Bottom