• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Here's a link to IGN's live stream tomorrow:

When: Friday, February 3, 11:00am-1:00pm Pacific
Where: Right here. Bookmark this page!
Why: Get your questions answered by the game's Producer and be the first to see IGN's review. Just tweet your questions @IGN with #amalur.

And here's a pic of Curt getting photo-bombed by former fatty Jared:

ro5h.jpg

ruxtpin

Banned
I hate to be that guy, but are there any glaring differences between the 360 and PS3 versions of the game? Or the demo that is...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I think what I love so much about Curt's involvement in this whole thing is that he's not just a gamer's gamer, but he's so incredibly passionate about all of this. You can't help but have massive respect for someone with that kind of dedication and love for the community.

There are so many people who think gaming is lucrative, and step into the field with the sole purpose of making money, and have some weird contempt for the community they serve.

It's just awesome to see someone get into the business because they have a passion for the field, rather than a passion for the cash.

Amir0x

Banned
I think what I love so much about Curt's involvement in this whole thing is that he's not just a gamer's gamer, but he's so incredibly passionate about all of this. You can't help but have massive respect for someone with that kind of dedication and love for the community.

There are so many people who think gaming is lucrative, and step into the field with the sole purpose of making money, and have some weird contempt for the community they serve.

It's just awesome to see someone get into the business because they have a passion for the field, rather than a passion for the cash.

After the last page about Curt I looked it up and read one isolated interview with him, since I thought it'd likely be he was involved in some cursory and detached fashion. But dude really came across as being super passionate about these projects, and mainly in keeping these talented people he has employed. I think that's kinda neat. Seems he's a good dude.

ReaperXL7

Here's a link to IGN's live stream tomorrow:

When: Friday, February 3, 11:00am-1:00pm Pacific
Where: Right here. Bookmark this page!
Why: Get your questions answered by the game's Producer and be the first to see IGN's review. Just tweet your questions @IGN with #amalur.

And here's a pic of Curt getting photo-bombed by former fatty Jared:

ro5h.jpg

Lol curt looks like he is having one hell of a party. Jareds stalker face is alittle creepy though.

Would ign bother doing something like this or have the producer present if they were giving the game a "bad" score. Seems like it would not go over too well.

Haunted

Yes, that fact alone at least commands some respect.

All these threads about "what game/franchise would you make if you had _____ dollars available?" and that guy went out and actually did it.

Zona

No it's not, not even close. It's a new engine and new tech.

I'll be curious to hear from you guys, your take on the open world vs corridors thing. I don't feel it, that doesn't mean others won't but I sure never have.

For me "Open world" is a bit of a sideling scale. On the one end you have the Wide Open Sandbox (Most Bethesda games) and on the other your have more Branching Paths (Fable). I tend to like the more open end of the spectrum myself but that's just a personal preference. From the demo this game seems closer to the Fable end of the spectrum. I still think I'm going to buy it though because well I prefer the sandbox I'm well aware that both sides have positives and negatives and KoA's positives have tickled my interest.

Oh yes, and add me as one more to the GAF+Demo let me knew this existed pile.

Boss Man

I really wish this game had some kind of online co-op or even pvp. Just a nice, subtle thing to add a multiplayer community. Like Demon's Souls or something.

Still day 1 buy for me, but just saying.

So I got my weekly GameStop email this week and decided, "WTF, instead of just hitting delete I'll open it up." Then I proceeded to learn that I've racked up over 26,000 points in the PowerUp Rewards program.

Lo and behold, I now have a $25 coupon off any one item at GameStop. Bonus! KoA is mine on Tuesday.

Now, if one GS had a coupon to create more time...

gehrig38

Strahan, Lavarr Arrington, Larry Fitzgerald, a TON of radio personalities, Bobby Hebert, and many more, all got their comp copies of Reckoning today.

It's funny, I used to be that guy, and I ALWAYS wondered why the hell companies were giving ME, the guy making obscene money that could AFFORD THE game, free stuff. I wasn't going to be out talking about the game most likely.

Then I read "The Tipping Point".

So on one hand it feels weird giving away pre-launch free copies to dudes that don't even know who 38 is, or what Reckoning is, and the die hards, followed us since day 1, created threads and forums in our name, they have to wait!

But in the end this is about creating awareness for OUR game. This really is about getting EVERY possible eye on the product we can, because it will sell itself if we can.

I had radio hosts tweeting about it today, and stars, current and former NFL guys as well.

Want to know the difference, having lived life on both ends now?

Not for a millisecond did I feel like I was 'shilling' (sorry, had to) or 'whoring' out. I was, and am, convinced on every single word I speak about our game. I do believe we've created something VERY special, so it makes it easy and very real.

Oh and another thing. My PR lady basically had me lined up from 7am to 5pm today, back to back to back, 15 minute spots, on every radio station and TV station here at Radio Row in Indy, and I was the ONLY one not exhausted at days end.

This was so cataclysmicly different than any World Series or All Star game press day because I was talking about OUR game and OUR future, damn it was cool.

HUGE line up again tomorrow, all day, then to Baltimore to thank a team for a job well done.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Curt's hype is making me hype. xD Already ordered on steam... T.T Gonna be a long ass week. Oh well back to Soul Calibur :D

Nelo Ice

Banned
Curt's hype is making me hype. xD

He's making it really hard not to get this game day 1. Right now im thinking up of ways to to get a discount by selling stuff or something to justify getting the steam version even though I could easily get it on Amazon with credits and such lol.

matmanx1

Strahan, Lavarr Arrington, Larry Fitzgerald, a TON of radio personalities, Bobby Hebert, and many more, all got their comp copies of Reckoning today.

It's funny, I used to be that guy, and I ALWAYS wondered why the hell companies were giving ME, the guy making obscene money that could AFFORD THE game, free stuff. I wasn't going to be out talking about the game most likely.

So on one hand it feels weird giving away pre-launch free copies to dudes that don't even know who 38 is, or what Reckoning is, and the die hards, followed us since day 1, created threads and forums in our name, they have to wait!

But in the end this is about creating awareness for OUR game. This really is about getting EVERY possible eye on the product we can, because it will sell itself if we can.

I had radio hosts tweeting about it today, and stars, current and former NFL guys as well.

Not for a millisecond did I feel like I was 'shilling' (sorry, had to) or 'whoring' out. I was, and am, convinced on every single word I speak about our game. I do believe we've created something VERY special, so it makes it easy and very real.

Oh and another thing. My PR lady basically had me lined up from 7am to 5pm today, back to back to back, 15 minute spots, on every radio station and TV station here at Radio Row in Indy, and I was the ONLY one not exhausted at days end.

This was so cataclysmicly different than any World Series or All Star game press day because I was talking about OUR game and OUR future, damn it was cool.

HUGE line up again tomorrow, all day, then to Baltimore to thank a team for a job well done.

Sounds like an amazing day and I'm happy for you and your team. I think KoA is going to be amazing and the more people that get to play it the better. More visibility for a product that's great can only be a good thing and it sounds like you know it!

gehrig38

Agreed, and appreciated.
FWIW I just realized today, and it just totally flew by me, that I was handing out copies of OUR GAME........
Ya, let that sink in. Wasn't paying, attention, then I realized HOLY CRAP, there are actual GAMES in these game covers....
How am I not logged in and playing already????
Going PC version, Xbox controller, full on finesse for my 1st play through...

moop1167

Agreed, and appreciated.
FWIW I just realized today, and it just totally flew by me, that I was handing out copies of OUR GAME........
Ya, let that sink in. Wasn't paying, attention, then I realized HOLY CRAP, there are actual GAMES in these game covers....

That's got to be a pretty damn good feeling.

PC version, m+kb for me, sorcery. Gotta stick to my roots.

scy

Agreed, and appreciated.

Making the last few days of this wait painful :|

Wallach

Remembered an Amazon gift card I put in a drawer from my birthday last month, I think I can swing this now. Might do that since the DD version is 9 bucks cheaper.

Also, the DD release says it will be available tomorrow at 10 AM rather than the 7th. Wonder what the deal is.

scy

Also, the DD release says it will be available tomorrow at 10 AM rather than the 7th. Wonder what the deal is.

It's just a pre-load:

On February 3, 2012 at 10:00am PST, the digital download of “Kingdoms of Amalur - Reckoning” will become available for pre-load for those customers who have placed their pre-order. This means that customers will be able to download “Kingdoms of Amalur - Reckoning” and get their activation key in preparation for the February 7, 2012 release. Customers who have pre-loaded will be able to play immediately on February 7, 2012 at Midnight Pacific time when Electronic Arts turns on their activation servers.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Yes, that fact alone at least commands some respect.

All these threads about "what game/franchise would you make if you had _____ dollars available?" and that guy went out and actually did it.
I'm still on questionable terms with the game after the demo. I liked the combat and how all 3 classes interacted in a more action based environment. But the world left a lot to be desired. Its a very much wait and see for other impressions.

But I'd be damned if they haven't been advertising this game properly. The community output from them and Curt personally has been fantastic, even before he came here. The biggest compliment I can give is noticing what Gaffers are hyped over this title for. Its not due to a 50+ million dollar marketing budget or pandering to console fanatics. Its genuine hype over a game that less than a few months ago was obscured to most people.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Agreed, and appreciated.

Going a little bit of everything my first play through, I really wanna max out all the crafting skills and dive into that. sooooo Universalist it is.

Risible

So glad that Curt's first game is looking to be a winner.

I remember reading about him years ago when he was talking about how hardcore he played WoW in between playing ball, and in interviews he always seemed like a nice guy. Glad to see it's panning out for him.

I don't want to come across as an insincere butt-kisser but your your making the right moves IMO when it comes to promoting the game. In fact, I think your making every possible right move you can think of and that is the right strategy. 38 is obviously going the extra mile by trying to tackle every conceivable outlet imaginable. I don't know entirely who is responsible for all these promotional ideas, but if your PR lady can even take half the credit for some of what your doing then it seems she to be just ace.

I've got some ideas if you don't mind:

Hulu ads
Internet Radio station ads
Pandora Radio ads
Mobile phone app ads
GBTV Interview

Basically I'm just tossing out random "new media" ideas that I think might be cheap.

On a side note, I know a guy with plenty of disposable income (he once sold a horse farm to William Shatner) who collects tons of baseball memorabilia- particularly Stan Musial. His private investor has set up several visits to Stan's home and they are now on a first name basis. He is also a Notre Dame collector and sent a kid to college there.

Anyways, I told him that a very famous baseball pitcher created a gaming studio that made an awesome game that I pre-ordered. Long story short, he wanted to play the game. The guy is 81, I believe and has never played a video game in his life. However, he likes to sample youth culture simply because the man is intellectually curious about everything under the sun. He has a doctorate in Theology, degrees in engineering and some other field that escapes my mind. The dude is remarkable. He also loves doing things with his grandkids and I think he likes experience their world .

To make the story even more odd- we work together at a Walmart. The guy has millions and "retires" to be a Walmart associate. I love Danny.

To beat all, I forgot to ask if he had bought any of Curt's baseball memorabilia.lol

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I think I refresh this thread once every 5 minutes... my hype levels are too high :( I need to go play some sc5 to get my mind off this game XD

Agreed, and appreciated.

There's something kinda surreal about this post. Its a good thing, mind you.

JWong

Banned
Anyone explain the demo limits? I remember some 45 minute limit, but I saw that people played the demo for hours.

Anyone explain the demo limits? I remember some 45 minute limit, but I saw that people played the demo for hours.

Play it 10 times and you can play it for 4 hours and 50 minutes. ;) The 45 minutes start after the tutorial and you can skip the tutorial after you finished it the first time.

JWong

Banned
Play it 10 times and you can play it for 4 hours and 50 minutes. ;) The 45 minutes start after the tutorial and you can skip the tutorial after you finished it the first time.

I... see?

I guess it means it's replayable...

Edit: Another question. Better as Master Race PC? Or console peasent?

mrpeabody

The demo is limited to 45 minutes once you finish the tutorial, but the clock stops when you're in conversation with npcs or the game is paused. Plus I think a lot of people played the demo multiple times to try out different builds.

edit: beaten

Wallach

I... see?

I guess it means it's replayable...

Edit: Another question. Better as Master Race PC? Or console peasent?

Definitely PC, handles controller support perfectly (both KB/M and pad are active simultaneously and the UI dynamically swaps) so there's really no reason to go console.

JWong

Banned
Definitely PC, handles controller support perfectly (both KB/M and pad are active simultaneously and the UI dynamically swaps) so there's really no reason to go console.

Sweet. Just what I wanted to here.

I already played the tutorial on PS3. Going to get the demo on PC.

squall23

Someone probably hacked the limit or is using a trainer. That is if the vid you saw was someone playing the PC version.

Top Bottom