• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

I have played the demo on all platforms, and multiple times on the 360 version, and I have never once successfully dispelled a ward. ;__;

I can't get the timing, or rhythm down or something. Man I suck.

After it blows up in my face, I can still loot it and there are items. Are the items better or something if I successfully dispel the ward?

Even the 'very easy' one you see next to the waterfall in the opening outside area? Are you doing them in the right order? one tooth, two tooth, three tooth (whatever they are, tooth/fangs I dunno)

Final verdict (so far): IGN sure wasn't lying when they named this a GOTY contender.
Really? I mean I've played about as much as you have and I think the game is absoluetly fantastic but there's really no need for that kind of hyperbole; it just leads to the eventual GAF backlash.

Anyways, has it been determined if Hard gives better drops? Still can't tell. Also I love how there is so much STUFF to pick up in this game between harvesting, chests (dispels or lockpicks) and hidden rocks.

bodine1231

Is there a way to increase the size of the minimap or zoom in/out like in WOW? I'm finding it very cluttered with the Detect skill.

Sylonious

I can't decide if I should get this on 360 or PS3, the game seemed to run better on PS3 not just the frame rate but the dialogue wheel and everything seemed more responsive.

@#$%#$

my problem is playing on the PS3 means having to wait for my wife to get off the TV and my 360 is hooked up via VGA to a monitor.

decisions decisions!

I'm pretty sure they are almost identical. The demo was just an old build.

bodine1231

Really? I mean I've played about as much as you have and I think the game is absoluetly fantastic but there's really no need for that kind of hyperbole; it just leads to the eventual GAF backlash.

Anyways, has it been determined if Hard gives better drops? Still can't tell. Also I love how there is so much STUFF to pick up in this game between harvesting, chests (dispels or lockpicks) and hidden rocks.

There was a dev on here a couple pages back that said that hard mode DOES NOT give better loot,just harder enemies.

madmook

Even the 'very easy' one you see next to the waterfall in the opening outside area? Are you doing them in the right order? one tooth, two tooth, three tooth (whatever they are, tooth/fangs I dunno)
Yep, that very first one. I can get a couple of them, but then I'll miss or something and it resets all of them. The spinning ring is too fast. Then the main timer fucks me over. So much for "very easy".

Anyways, wondering if the only downside to failing a ward is the damage it does to me.

kitzkozan

The big thing for me is that the combat is much, much better than that in The Witcher 2. I didn't even bother with Skyrim because I know from experience that I can't stand TES combat. And that's a huge part of the game - this is very much an action RPG. I'm not really feeling the story; maybe I would be if I were going through the main quest line without side quests, but with how long the side quests take I tend to forget why I cared about the main quest objective I'm on. That said, the world is nifty and it's a lot of fun to find new things.

It's not nearly as pretty as The Witcher 2, but I do like the colors.

I wouldn't really compare it to Deus Ex at all. But then I played Deux Ex as a stealth game, and stealth doesn't seem to work very well in this one. It looks cool when you pull it off, but in general you can't use stealth in the situations that you most need an edge in (like Deus Ex's boss problem, but constant).

Finally, much cooler loot than any of the other three games I mentioned.

I think this is going to be a GOTY contender and I won't be surprised if it's on GAF top 10 list. :] Since most of us like good mechanics in our games, including rpgs. It seems the gameplay easily surpass every big wrpg that's been made in the last few years outside of Deus Ex: human revo which is an hybrid. Even the loot easily beat anything from Bioware, Bethesda, Cd Projekt or Obsidian.

From the look of it, they also made a couple of mistake like not having a cooldown on potions which will reduce the difficulty. Presentation and polish probably isn't the best since it's a new IP and they budget can't rival other big players out there. Still, I'm confident Reckoning 2 will be awesome if the first one sell well along with the feedback which I'm sure won't fall on deaf ears. ;)

Hard diff is the way to go. I'm not like a pro that plays everything on insane difficulties (quite the opposite) but hard just feels right in this game.

Now it's hyperbole to call a game a possible GOTY contender?

I think talking about GOTY on February 6th when you've played a game for 5 hours is absurd, yes. Same way people call Dark Knight Rises 'movie of the year' after seeing the prologue. But I'm not going to argue with you because I like the game so I'll drop it.

I'm not sure anything but time and a long thread is needed for a GAF backlash.

This thing is going to have so much negative hyperbole thrown at it for the next 12 months it's giving me a headache just thinking about it. Hopefully I'll still be able to say I enjoyed it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I think talking about GOTY on February 6th when you've played a game for 5 hours is absurd, yes. Same way people call Dark Knight Rises 'movie of the year' after seeing the prologue. But I'm not going to argue with you because I like the game so I'll drop it.

Darksiders 1 was MY game of the year when it came out.... and it came out in Jan...

I always look more seriously at new IP as GOTY material. I think giving sequels GOTY, whom by their very nature should be vast improvements over their predecessors, is what's absurd.

Not enough attention is given to those courageous enough to create a new IP in the $60 market.

Aesthet1c

I'm really on the fence on which console to get this on. I hope when the embargo lifts tomorrow we will get some detailed comparisons between the two versions.

Sylonious

I'm really on the fence on which console to get this on. I hope when the embargo lifts tomorrow we will get some detailed comparisons between the two versions.

From the IGN 360 Review posted today:

IGN said:
(In testing the game on Xbox 360, I played with the game installed on the hard drive. This is the recommended way to play if you're going to play on Xbox 360, as it cuts down load times in particular. Texture pop-in seems slightly worse on 360 in comparison to the PS3 version, even with the game installed, though it wasn't at all disruptive in terms of my enjoyment of the game.)- IGN 360 Review

AzerPhire

I know this has probably been asked a million times already but just to confirm if I buy off Origin right now (in Canada) I can start pre-loading (edit: and playing) right away?

Wallach

I know this has probably been asked a million times already but just to confirm if I buy off Origin right now (in Canada) I can start pre-loading (edit: and playing) right away?

Pre-loading you should, playing you won't without using the cracked .exe to get around activation. Otherwise it won't unlock until midnight tonight (PST I believe).

Sorry, thought you meant the IGN reviewer that played the entire game was being hyperbolic.

ironcreed

Banned

Seems like even complimenting a good game is considered hyperbole these days. I see that term thrown around so much here lately it's nauseating. Like it has become a fucking meme.

On a side note, just got my text from Gamestop. Cannot wait to pick it up tomorrow morning.

Sylonious

Not going to reward EA with talk of GOTY before the review embargo is lifted. I hate that they try to hype a game up while handcuffing potential critics.

Because the game won't be as good in December as it is now? Because games are going to make a huge leap in quality between now and then?

If the man likes the game and wants to put it on his list for GOTY, there's nothing absurd or hyperbolic about that. It's actually a little absurd to me that you seem to be put off by it, when he's just expressing his opinion.

I really hope EA pushes this game unlike there past partners games which they didnt seem to care about. Its been so long since ive been so hyped for a game, and this is the first RPG ive ever thought about my build ahead of release.

ironcreed

Banned
It's definitely my GOTY...since I haven't played any other games released this year yet.

On the flip side, nothing wrong with saying it is your game of the year so far. I'll of course reserve my final verdict until I have spent adequate time with it, but I am expecting it to probably be my favorite game of the young new year so far as well.

On the flip side, nothing wrong with saying it is your game of the year so far. I'll of course reserve my final verdict until I have spent adequate time with it, but I am expecting it to probably be my favorite game of the young new year so far as well.

GOTY is silly to me anyway. I mean your GOTY is. Or IGN's. Or etc etc. The only GOTY that matters to me is mine. Borderlands was my GOTY, but I'm sure that makes many people cringe.

And on a serious note, where's the ****ing reviews? If you want people to buy your game, the best advertising for it is good review scores. Why embargo the reviews so long that people will miss out on pre-order bonuses? Stupid.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
GOTY is silly to me anyway. I mean your GOTY is. Or IGN's. Or etc etc. The only GOTY that matters to me is mine. Borderlands was my GOTY, but I'm sure that makes many people cringe.

Only thing that made me cringe was Skyrim getting so many game of the year awards. :p I mean there wasn't much GAME there at all xD Should of been mountain hike of the year award or, press shout button at dragon then walk up and hold down mouse button 12 times game of the year. Ohhh dragons so threatening -.-

Wallach

Anybody get the Amazon DD version? That's basically just like getting the Origin version only you download it from Amazon instead?

I did. I actually just dumped the product code they gave me into Origin and pre-loaded it through them. Didn't matter to me since they both activate on Origin.

Sylonious

Oh, speaking of jumping the gun. Does anybody remember this?

NeoSeeker said:
In short, there's nothing for the hardcore RPG lover here; I felt like I was playing the equally unfulfilling Daggerdale all over again -- one of our lowest scored games. At this point, I'd recommend skipping the demo and game entirely, unless you want the free Mass Effect 3 loot. - Sean Ridgley @Neoseeker

I can't for the life of me understand how someone could come to a snap judgement like that over a demo. I get a kid in a forum just giving his honest opinion, but this guy has a real platform.

This guy will either be vindicated or crucified tomorrow when the review embargo is lifted.

syllogism

Has anyone seen items with Epic gem slots yet? I wonder how common they are and if one item can have more than one. They are quite powerful, some examples:

-20% mana costs
+20% to fire/ice/lightning damage
+10 % experience
+1 to certain ability category

ironcreed

Banned
And on a serious note, where's the ****ing reviews? If you want people to buy your game, the best advertising for it is good review scores. Why embargo the reviews so long that people will miss out on pre-order bonuses? Stupid.

Damn, get on that shit, son. You know you are going to love it. Probably not enough difference in the console versions to split hairs over, but IGN did say that the 360 version has a tad more pop-in... even installed. Take that how you will.

Sylonious

Out of Skyrim, KOA and ME3 this was my only real chance to play on the PS3. My ME3 character import is on 360 and Skyrim is too buggy. Schilling confirmed no Multiplayer so PS3 version is a no brainer for me.

scy

Has anyone seen items with Epic gem slots yet? I wonder how common they are and if one item can have more than one. They are quite powerful, some examples:

-20% mana costs
+20% to fire/ice/lightning damage
+10 % experience
+1 to certain ability category

No Epic Gem slots yet either. Though, I've also not seen level appropriate loot either (currently Level 18). I really need to progress on ... but I want to wrap up all the quests I have, damn it :/

ironcreed

Banned
Out of Skyrim, KOA and ME3 this was my only real chance to play on the PS3. My ME3 character import is on 360 and Skyrim is too buggy. Schilling confirmed no Multiplayer so PS3 version is a no brainer for me.

I just love the DS3 and thought the game simply felt better playing it on PS3. Easy decision for me as well.

vaelic

Banned
Potions absolutely break this game. Insta, no limit to carry, no drinking animation to stall character, super cheap.

Overlooked by big huge games

Soroc

Has anyone smithed up any weapons/armor that have gem slots on them? I've got 4 pts in smithing but haven't crafted anything with empty gem slots yet.

I'm still using the Commander Sheppard 5 piece set for armor at level 7/8 (Champion Build). Haven't really found any armor that can touch it yet. Funny thing is I never logged into my ea account with the demo so I'm not sure how exactly I got the armor set yet lol

Rokam

Gamestop sent me a text to let me know I can pick it up tomorrow morning, or as I see it a text telling me "Hahaha asshole you can't play it tonight"

Dlacy13g

My anticipation for this game really has risen after my last play through of the demo. And speaking frankly, I really just want this game to succeed so we can see a new developer make a splash in this genre that honestly could use some new blood. They may not be turning the genre on its head, but they definitely are doing some good things here to help push the RPG forward.

Set up my pre-order last night. Won't have time to get it on day one, but I'll be picking it up Sunday. Really can't wait. Trying to convince as many people as possible that this game is worth playing.

Staab

uuuurrrghhhh !
Just lost 1hour of gameplay due to not saving manually...
I did tons of quests and leveled up too during that time so the Auto-save either didn't work or it's not made to save that frequently...
All I can say is "SAVE MANUALLY EVERY NOW AND THEN!"

Game is so addictive I busted right through again though, any other and I might have dropped it for the day ;)

Top Bottom