• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Calvinpewpewpew

Neo Member
The latter. And it is useless.

Thank you Einbroch; that is what I figured and that's a shame, because it would be great with a constant 30% chance.

More and more I plan and think the more I am going heavy Mage first hybrid to warrior for greatsword attacks and a few other utilities skills.

dokish

Banned
One thing I really like about the game is how it handles loot. You can compare any piece on a corpse with your currently equipped, and choose to either equip it, take it or dump it directly into your junk pile. I rarely have to go into the inventory at all... and being able to one-click sell all junk at a vendor works very.

This. 1000 times this.

The best gameplay choice ever made by the dev team. Really well thought. I wish every RPG could be like this.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Yeah, there is something definitely funky about that entry in my library. If you click the store page link, it doesn't link back to its store page and the store doesn't recognized that I have the game preordered.

Shit I'm in the same boat... wtf? (I'm guessing this isn't normal for steam pre-orders?)

Calvinpewpewpew

Neo Member
I can't believe myself: less than a week after preordering the 360 copy (which NewEgg JUST shipped), I am going back and forth again about what to play. I hooked up my pc to my 46' LCD yesterday, plugged in a gamepad, and it played beautifully-but its $15 more than my Newegg preorder.

Side question: at what point are we, as gamers, going to stand up against full-priced games that are digital distro-you can't resell them, and they completely cut out all infrastructure and middle-man costs. Insane.

For those who've played it (or just happen to know), do vendors have limited cash or can I sell everything to one vendor? The Skyrim vendor hop ritual after each outing got old really quickly.

Hawk269

For those who've played it (or just happen to know), do vendors have limited cash or can I sell everything to one vendor? The Skyrim vendor hop ritual after each outing got old really quickly.

Unlimited. The IGN video that was 2 hours talked about it. He basically was selling everything to 2 particular vendors to make it easier if he wanted to "buyback" stuff and he specifically mentioned that they always had funds to buy everything from him.

Confession: when I first downloaded the demo on my 360, I really disliked it. After playing through the initial Well of Souls part, I deleted the demo and decided I had plenty of other games to spend time playing.

After reading impressions and seeing more of the game in action however, I decided to give it another shot on my PC. After downloading the demo and playing it with a mouse instead of a controller, I fell in love with the combat.

Has anybody else with the PC version felt like this?

I think it has to do with the mushiness of the Xbox controller's buttons. They just aren't apt for a fast-paced combat system (read: click-fest) like Reckoning. The combat felt MUCH more responsive on my PC with my mouse (razer deathadder) because of the speed I could click.

Anybody else share my sentiments?

I actually own the Razer 360 controller with the mouse-like face buttons, which I love (not so crazy about the rest of the controller). Maybe I'll try playing with that when it unlocks later tonight.

Unlimited. The IGN video that was 2 hours talked about it. He basically was selling everything to 2 particular vendors to make it easier if he wanted to "buyback" stuff and he specifically mentioned that they always had funds to buy everything from him.
Great, thanks for the info. I'm all for streamlining when it removes stuff that only exists to be time consuming and frustrating.

rybrad

Been debating with myself about getting this pretty much non-stop since I played the demo. I really enjoyed the demo (annoying camera excepted) but it irks me to pay $60 for PC games. Has the camera changed at all from the demo or is that change supposed to be coming later?

graywolf323

I can't believe myself: less than a week after preordering the 360 copy (which NewEgg JUST shipped), I am going back and forth again about what to play. I hooked up my pc to my 46' LCD yesterday, plugged in a gamepad, and it played beautifully-but its $15 more than my Newegg preorder.

Side question: at what point are we, as gamers, going to stand up against full-priced games that are digital distro-you can't resell them, and they completely cut out all infrastructure and middle-man costs. Insane.

if you got help from UK GAF the Steam version would have only been ~$47

Hawk269

I always thought instant-use instant-heal potions were pretty lame to begin with. A drinking animation where you are vulnerable would at least make it a little less silly.

Or they should of put a limit on how many you can carry at one time. I agree, that stuff like this makes it easy to break the game. And I know that someone will say "well dont use them"...but that is harder said than done, self imposing difficulty. It should of been made that way from the beginning.

Or they should of put a limit on how many you can carry at one time. I agree, that stuff like this makes it easy to break the game. And I know that someone will say "well dont use them"...but that is harder said than done, self imposing difficulty. It should of been made that way from the beginning.

I agree. It's hard to simply not use them. You'd think they would have balanced it better so that Hard difficulty would actually be hard even if you did carry a ton of potions. Gradual heals instead of insta-heals is the smarter way to go.

I can't decide if I should get this on 360 or PS3, the game seemed to run better on PS3 not just the frame rate but the dialogue wheel and everything seemed more responsive.

@#$%#$

my problem is playing on the PS3 means having to wait for my wife to get off the TV and my 360 is hooked up via VGA to a monitor.

decisions decisions!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Confession: when I first downloaded the demo on my 360, I really disliked it. After playing through the initial Well of Souls part, I deleted the demo and decided I had plenty of other games to spend time playing.

After reading impressions and seeing more of the game in action however, I decided to give it another shot on my PC. After downloading the demo and playing it with a mouse instead of a controller, I fell in love with the combat.

Has anybody else with the PC version felt like this?

I think it has to do with the mushiness of the Xbox controller's buttons. They just aren't apt for a fast-paced combat system (read: click-fest) like Reckoning. The combat felt MUCH more responsive on my PC with my mouse (razer deathadder) because of the speed I could click.

Anybody else share my sentiments?

I actually own the Razer 360 controller with the mouse-like face buttons, which I love (not so crazy about the rest of the controller). Maybe I'll try playing with that when it unlocks later tonight.

I think the camera controls much better on the 360 controller, but I preferred kb/m for everything else. Not sure which control scheme I'll use yet.

I think the camera controls much better on the 360 controller, but I preferred kb/m for everything else. Not sure which control scheme I'll use yet.

How so? The camera sort of locks God of War-style during most combat sequences if I remember correctly, doesn't it?

Spruchy

are you saying cheap as in over powered or cheap as in cost?

Both. Cost little to nothing and restore nearly all your health instantly. I'm writing a post about my impressions after streaming the game for 26 hours this past weekend. I'll put it up here when I'm done.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
How so? The camera sort of locks God of War-style during most combat sequences if I remember correctly, doesn't it?

To be specific, with the mouse and keyboard, it felt too sensitive when outside of combat just running around. I'm sure that's adjustable, though.

While in-combat, I much preferred keyboard and mouse. It felt a lot easier to target specific mobs than with the 360 controller. The lockpick minigame seemed easier, too (although the opposite can be said of the dispelling minigame). Luckily, it seems like you switch between the two seamlessly.

Torraz

Back home after a nice 5-6 hour marathon at the friends house. Really peeves me off about no preload since that means i cant pull any VPN shenanigans and will have to wait until Thursday or Friday in Europe :(.

We kept going pure finesse and it got better and better.

I'm not sure if we were lucky or if the game "gamed" the odds for drops in our favor, but 90% of the nice equips were for our chosen spec and the stuff we invested talent points in, for example our first purple drop was a nice set of daggers and two rogue set items.

We also got a house and upgraded it. Ironically the bed was moved farther away so healing up is going to take him longer now ;).

We also found another boss that was of the "summon ~15 friends" category. Luckily we were able to dps the boss down rapidly (using our just found purple daggers) or that might have been extremely hard.

We stayed on hard mode and felt that it was nicely balanced altough the +0.1% hp regen amulet we found was very helpful, although that boss battle could have gotten very hairy very fast.

Oh and if you like exploring dungeons freely don't be surprised if you get sent back on a mission and have to double clear it.

Also we felt that missions were cleverly placed, minimizing backtracking (kill spiders and gather spider drop items at the same time for example).

The only negative aspect we found was that the enemy AI is a bit wonky if one starts kiting them and moving away from the location of initial combat/contact. Often only 1-2 will follow with the rest turning brain dead. This, combined with the fact that enemies apparently don't (or only very slowly) regain health if one resets them by running away far enough can make it a bit easy/exploitable even on hard - so beware to those who want a challenge.

Final verdict (so far): IGN sure wasn't lying when they named this a GOTY contender.

Pimpbaa

Trying to sell tons of garbage mucking up your inventory = exploiting vendors?

Wow, this is a new line of thinking.

Exploiting vendors broke Morrowind (selling glass and daedric gear to mudcrab merchant and then using money made to exploit skill trainers).

jkoch

Come on Steam, start the preload already. I took PTO tomorrow to play, and I'm gonna be pissed if I can't play first thing in the morning.

I was just thinking, "Game of the Year"-type thinking is unfortunate. Especially for RPGs. FPS like COD and BF get almost-annual releases so they can contend with a new iteration every year... Same with Assassin's Creed (not that it's a GOTY contender anymore). However, the big name RPG dev houses obviously release on a different cycle, therefore leading to some years where big RPGs don't go head-to-head with each other. Thinking about how ridiculously stacked 2011 was in terms of RPGs, it's unfortunate (maybe fortunate for BHG?) that Amalur won't get measured against all those great games that came out this year...

So, to those who have it and have invested some decent time: How do you think it stacks up to all the big RPGs of 2011? Namely Dark Souls, Witcher 2, Skyrim, Deus Ex, maybe even Skyward Sword (debatable), and hell I'll throw SWTOR in there too.

I'd like to know not just, "X is better than Y," but perhaps which elements are better/worse, etc? Seems like those 2011 games + Mass Effect 3 will be the highlight of RPGs this generation.

PS - I forgot Dragon Age 2 was this year too, lol.

madmook

I have played the demo on all platforms, and multiple times on the 360 version, and I have never once successfully dispelled a ward. ;__;

I can't get the timing, or rhythm down or something. Man I suck.

After it blows up in my face, I can still loot it and there are items. Are the items better or something if I successfully dispel the ward?

Gotchaye

I'd like to know not just, "X is better than Y," but perhaps which elements are better/worse, etc? Seems like those 2011 games + Mass Effect 3 will be the highlight of RPGs this generation.
The big thing for me is that the combat is much, much better than that in The Witcher 2. I didn't even bother with Skyrim because I know from experience that I can't stand TES combat. And that's a huge part of the game - this is very much an action RPG. I'm not really feeling the story; maybe I would be if I were going through the main quest line without side quests, but with how long the side quests take I tend to forget why I cared about the main quest objective I'm on. That said, the world is nifty and it's a lot of fun to find new things.

It's not nearly as pretty as The Witcher 2, but I do like the colors.

I wouldn't really compare it to Deus Ex at all. But then I played Deux Ex as a stealth game, and stealth doesn't seem to work very well in this one. It looks cool when you pull it off, but in general you can't use stealth in the situations that you most need an edge in (like Deus Ex's boss problem, but constant).

Finally, much cooler loot than any of the other three games I mentioned.

Top Bottom