• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

I'm looking at it in-game and it's chance of failure; you get 100% when directly in line of sight of someone, not 0%.

Manual says:

picking pockets
Interact with others during stealth to attempt to pickpocket them. The rate of successfully pickpocketing a character is determined by how aware that character and others nearby are of your character. The percentage chance of successfully stealing each item is listed next to the item.

stealing
Your character can also attempt to steal items from owned containers. As with pickpocketing, the odds of success are displayed onscreen, and are determined by how aware nearby enemies are of your character.

Yeah. It's great to see a new RPG IP, but I'll wait for Steam sale (sorry devs).
This is actually the first day 1 game I'll be getting since Mass Effect 2 in early 2010. I usually have the patience to wait a couple months when games tend to drop $20-30, but I'm absolutely craving this. Oddly enough, WRPGs aren't even really my thing.

Why do the attack or why buy the game?

Why do the attack, I meant. It's easy to avoid. Just don't hold down the attack button. In the demo you can also get the delay attack which guarantees a critical hit if you time it perfectly. I wasn't a big fan of that slo-mo attack either, but only because it really wasnt dealing all that much damage. The delay attack was great though.

erragal

Manual says:

picking pockets
Interact with others during stealth to attempt to pickpocket them. The rate of successfully pickpocketing a character is determined by how aware that character and others nearby are of your character. The percentage chance of successfully stealing each item is listed next to the item.

stealing
Your character can also attempt to steal items from owned containers. As with pickpocketing, the odds of success are displayed onscreen, and are determined by how aware nearby enemies are of your character.

The manual isn't clear. When you steal things 0% is good and 99% is bad. It's opposite of what you might expect but it's easy to understand because the 99% is in red and the 0% is in white; the color coding makes it pretty intuitive.

Artadius

Manual says:

picking pockets

stealing

I believe this is wrong then. I stole an item last night with 0% listed. I was stealthed, noone was in the room with me, and all the NPCs in other locations of the house had empty stealth awareness eyes. I didn't get in trouble for stealing the item.

Why do the attack, I meant. It's easy to avoid. Just don't hold down the attack button. In the demo you can also get the delay attack which guarantees a critical hit if you time it perfectly. I wasn't a big fan of that slo-mo attack either, but only because it really wasnt dealing all that much damage. The delay attack was great though.

It was more a fear that all built in combos were going to be like that. If that's the only one that slows down I will use it very rarely and be happy :).

Klyka

Banned
The game actually tells you in a little pop up when you first try to steal, what the % mean. That's why the eye icon is above them, it means how visible you are and how likely your theft is to be detected.
It is the COMPLETE OPPOSITE of how it was in the demo, where 100% meant you could steal it without trouble.

It was more a fear that all built in combos were going to be like that. If that's the only one that slows down I will use it very rarely and be happy :).

Yeah, I obviously can't speak for later combos, but that was the only one I've seen in any video where time basically slowed down. The next combo requires more skill/timing to get right, but it's also really powerful (and leaves you open to attack by other enemies nearby).

Kosmo

Banned
Really looking forward to this game. I have no faith when Schilling started down this road, but I'm really looking forward to it and it's getting a lot of good pub. Thanks for proving me wrong, Curt!

ReaperXL7

I did the look of this leather armor,

11.jpg

Damn the wait, but I was also just looking at my shipping information....I noticed the package is 10lbs.....

Sothpaw

Can you elaborate on this a bit? The demo left me with the impression that normal would be too easy given that you can spam potions. Maybe I'm missing something; is there a cooldown on potions? Even if not, they do instantly restore health which seems pretty overpowered.

Going to repost this for the new page. Seems that hardmode is the way to go given that you can easily spam potions? The Witcher 1 "Swallow" potion is really the way health potions should be handled in games. Steady regeneration as opposed to instant recovery.

At least add a cooldown to potions. With no cooldown I don't see how normal mode could be challenging at all.

The game actually tells you in a little pop up when you first try to steal, what the % mean. That's why the eye icon is above them, it means how visible you are and how likely your theft is to be detected.
It is the COMPLETE OPPOSITE of how it was in the demo, where 100% meant you could steal it without trouble.

There's the disconnect for me then. I haven't played the final, but in the demo 100 percent meant I could steal it without any risk of getting caught. The manual coincides with the demo then, and not the final. That's a really interesting f*ck-up on BHG's part unless the manual I downloaded isn't the final.

scy

Manual says:

picking pockets

stealing

And I'm doing it in-game as part of the Thief faction so I've done my fair share of stealing. It lists the chance of detection so 0% is success, 100% is failure.

I don't understand. How is everyone playing this game right now? I pre-ordered on Steam and according to everyone on here there's no pre-load, so I'm guessing I'll have to wait until 12am to begin downloading, yes?

scy

Going to repost this for the new page. Seems that hardmode is the way to go given that you can easily spam potions? The Witcher 1 "Swallow" potion is really the way health potions should be handled in games. Steady regeneration as opposed to instant recovery.

At least add a cooldown to potions. With no cooldown I don't see how normal mode could be challenging at all.

Just don't use the potions like that, I guess? There's no cooldown on them. The Regen potions are, so far, more powerful than the regular potions :x

On that note, I don't think I've seen too many potions for sale on vendors but I haven't been checking. I've just used the ones I've been finding to try and make things rougher for myself.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I put in about 9 hours yesterday. Overall I'm very impressed. The action combat is definitely the high point of the game, and every combat encounter is exciting and dangerous. I'm playing a pure mage on hard, and I definitely recommend starting the game on hard. I played a few hours on normal and it was extremely easy.

One thing I really like about the game is how it handles loot. You can compare any piece on a corpse with your currently equipped, and choose to either equip it, take it or dump it directly into your junk pile. I rarely have to go into the inventory at all... and being able to one-click sell all junk at a vendor works very well.

Also, there seems to be a lot of extremely expensive things in the world unlike Skyrim (training especially), which makes earning money always a good thing as opposed to just having a million gold with nothing to spend it on in the late game.

Sothpaw

Just don't use the potions like that, I guess? There's no cooldown on them. The Regen potions are, so far, more powerful than the regular potions :x

On that note, I don't think I've seen too many potions for sale on vendors but I haven't been checking. I've just used the ones I've been finding to try and make things rougher for myself.

Thanks for the reply. Going to play on hard mode now for sure. 38 should really look at the potion design and at least have a cooldown on hard mode in their next game.

Number45

I had no idea this was so close! Will wait until I'm a little further through my backlog, but have been looking forward to (and thus ignoring everything about) this since it was announced.

Thanks for the reply. Going to play on hard mode now for sure. 38 should really look at the potion design and at least have a cooldown on hard mode in their next game.

if hardmode is as hard as they say, a cool down is silly, especially given the combat system. try a little self control if you want to turn an unrelated game into a dark souls frustration fest.

Lain

Damn you guys, you're making me wish I preordered on Origin, but I just can't see paying 49.99€ for a digital download when the box is 44.something €.

Calvinpewpewpew

Neo Member
Could someone explain to me briefly how Adrenaline Surge works in the Might Tree? The tooltip says you gain a surge of health and extra damage when your health falls below 25%, which seems of very limited utility. When you add points in it, however, the tooltip indicates that it has a percentage chance to trigger. Does it have that chance to trigger regardless of health and then automatically below 25%, or just that chance when your health reaches that threshold (which to me makes it absolutely useless).

Thanks! Trying to plan out the second half of a very heavy magic build with complimentary might talents.

Einbroch

Banned
Could someone explain to me briefly how Adrenaline Surge works in the Might Tree? The tooltip says you gain a surge of health and extra damage when your health falls below 25%, which seems of very limited utility. When you add points in it, however, the tooltip indicates that it has a percentage chance to trigger. Does it have that chance to trigger regardless of health and then automatically below 25%, or just that chance when your health reaches that threshold (which to me makes it absolutely useless).

Thanks! Trying to plan out the second half of a very heavy magic build with complimentary might talents.

The latter. And it is useless.

Hawk269

I urge people to immediately invest points into the Detect Hidden skill. It is not only needed so you can find hidden chests and doors, but also because of the sheer fact that it is awesome to have. I have found some secrets that made me feel completely warm and fuzzy from the inside. This game makes me feel like a small child again.

I love stuff like that in games. I am one of those gamers that look in ever nook and cranny and I hate it when there are hidden items and I can't find them or I dont have the skill to help me find them...so this will come in handy. Thanks!

Detect Hidden and Blacksmithing sound the most useful, but I'll probably put a share into the Persuasion and Dispelling skills too. I still don't really get the dispel minigame from what I've played in the demo, but it did seem pretty annoying. Do you have to hit them in some kind of order or something?

daedalius

Do you guys think I can hit walmart at midnight tonight and pick this up?

I don't think any of my usual stores are having a midnight launch around here...

ReaperXL7

Detect Hidden and Blacksmithing sound the most useful, but I'll probably put a share into the Persuasion and Dispelling skills too. I still don't really get the dispel minigame from what I've played in the demo, but it did seem pretty annoying. Do you have to hit them in some kind of order or something?

the fewer the symbals on the glyph the longer it will take to fill up, so you want to hit the glyph with one first, then two, then three, and so on. the part i have a hard time with sometimes is the timing, because you have to hit the button right before the circle gets to the glyph instead of when the circle is directly on the glyph.

Ignore this rant:

Fuck embargoes. Fuck them in the ass. They're anti-gamer. I want the pre-order goodies, but I also want the best console version, which I wont know which one it is until it's too late to order from Amazon due to the FUCKING stupid embargo.

There. I feel better now.

Reveirg

Ignore this rant:

Fuck embargoes. Fuck them in the ass. They're anti-gamer. I want the pre-order goodies, but I also want the best console version, which I wont know which one it is until it's too late to order from Amazon due to the FUCKING stupid embargo.

There. I feel better now.

Yeah, I mean what's the point? It just feels like they're not confident enough with their product to make the reviews go live before Day One o_O.

CTE

By most accounts, no. It's the same as the demo. If you preferred the look of the PS3 version, that is the one to get still, but they did cap the framerate so you wont have to worry about that problem in the final.

I was watching a stream of the 360 version and it looks better than the demo for sure. Even with the shitty streaming I could tell. I thought it was the ps3 version until the button prompts came up.

Sothpaw

Yeah, I mean what's the point? It just feels like they're not confident enough with their product to make the reviews go live before Day One o_O.

I feel like it's a marketing thing. Let all the reviews (i.e. press) pop up at once to fuel impulse buys.

Dresden

Man, toys r us isn't offering that deal in-store and there's no pickup option online. With the time it'd take to ship from newegg or tru, I may as well wait a week to see if Amazon or some other retailer offers similar pricing.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
So I don't get to play this tonight do I? I mean, Steam isn't pre-loading, which means I won't get to play this until Thursday (I have a lot of stuff to do on my first days off in over a week)...

Kind of sad for a game I was hyped on since the initial reveal of the talent :( Why oh why is my first steam pre-order not a pre-load game :(

I was watching a stream of the 360 version and it looks better than the demo for sure. Even with the shitty streaming I could tell. I thought it was the ps3 version until the button prompts came up.

You could have been watching a PC stream (it uses the 360 controller).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So I don't get to play this tonight do I? I mean, Steam isn't pre-loading, which means I won't get to play this until Thursday (I have a lot of stuff to do on my first days off in over a week)...

Kind of sad for a game I was hyped on since the initial reveal of the talent :( Why oh why is my first steam pre-order not a pre-load game :(

Yeah, this Steam situation sucks. I wish we could get some kind of official word.

I've never seen a game act as if it's downloaded and installed and not be uninstallable.

Very worried about the launch.

Yeah, this Steam situation sucks. I wish we could get some kind of official word.

I've never seen a game act as if it's downloaded and installed and not be uninstallable.

Very worried about the launch.

Yeah, there is something definitely funky about that entry in my library. If you click the store page link, it doesn't link back to its store page and the store doesn't recognized that I have the game preordered.

Top Bottom