• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

So based on purely "professional" reviews:

- Blacksmithing is useless
- Blacksmithing is over-powered
- Combat is tedious after 10-15 hours
- Combat is the game's saving grace throughout the entirety of the game
- The story/lore is lacking
- The store/lore is well-told an engaging
- The voice acting is bad
- The voice acting is a highlight

This is why I only read reviews to see if there's a consensus on possible bugs/framerate issues. The content of the reviews otherwise is pure shit.

Kem0sabe

I'm not praising Amalur because its combat is "flashy." If anything, the only real difference in combat from Oblivion to Skyrim was that it became more "flashy," what with dual-wielding spells and the like.

I am praising Amalur because its combat is a good gameplay mechanic, unlike Skyrim. I'll agree with you and say that the world of Skyrim is probably unparalleled in video games currently in terms of depth and breadth, but at the unfortunate sacrifice of gameplay. It is a blast to spend hours on hours discovering new places, people, stories. But it is not fun to fight.

Why would they change their combat after Amalur, and not Diablo or Mass Effect? Simple. Diablo is a top-down "clickfest" action RPG, whereas Elder Scrolls games have always been 1st person oriented (with the option of third person, but who plays that way?). That's like saying Elder Scrolls combat didn't change after Final Fantasy 13 came out. Why would it? They're absolutely nothing alike! Mass Effect has gone on to become a third person shooter/RPG hybrid, which for obvious reasons has little bearing on the first-person oriented action of Skyrim. I don't think anybody here would argue that Skryim and Diablo are the same "type" of RPG. Same goes for Skyrim and both the Mass Effect and Dragon Age series.

Amalur, on the other hand, although a third-person game, is comparable gameplay-wise with Skyrim in a lot of ways, more so than any other western RPG out there right now. Almost everything outside of combat is highly comparable between the two games. While I'd give Skyrim the nod in 9/10 categories, Amalur's combat is light years better than Skyrim's. Because Amalur has situated itself as such a close competitor to Skyrim (whether or not you think it is as good of a game is irrelevant, they're still selling nearly identical products), Bethesda would be foolish not to pay attention to what aspects of the genre BHG has clearly done better than they have.

In summary, I think Amalur has carved a niche for itself in the increasingly crowded WRPG market by creating a fun and unique (for this genre at least) combat mechanic. Mass Effect 2 greatly improved on the ME series' combat mechanic and ME3 looks to be the definitive version. As I said earlier, DA2's combat was great (even if the encounters weren't) and different than everything else. Demons'/Dark Souls combat is brilliant and makes the entire game, and is different than anything else. In my book, that leaves the Witcher 2 (combat was very "meh," worse than Witcher 1 IMO) and Skyrim floating without clear direction about where to take their combat.

People want to play games with fun and riveting stories, and be immersed in them, sure. But I don't think we have to settle for shoddy gameplay, either. As I explained above, Skryim is really behind the wagon in terms of combat when compared to all other WRPGs... If Bethesda wants its next Elder Scrolls game (or Fallout game!) to really be the premier WRPG, it needs to learn some lessons from Amalur.

Your comparing a first person sandbox rpg to a third person action rpg... as you point out on your reply, you can´t compare different types of rpg´s... that´s why Bethesda didn´t went running to change their combat due to other rpg´s successes with a more action oriented approach to design, because those game were fundamentally different.

I like Amalur for what it is, an mmo in the guise of a single player rpg, with an awesome combat. (finally bought it a bit ago and typing this as i take a brake for lunch). But i would never even think of comparing it to Skyrim, the game´s are so fundamentally different in every regard.

A few impressions from the pc version, very little playtime after tutorial section.

+ Load times, so fast that i can´t even read the text. Great work \o/

+ Combat, simple, fun, awesome \o/

+ Loot descriptions, takes me back to Baldur´s gate \o/

+ So much loot \o/

+ Chakrams \o/

+ Enemy artistic design

+ Animations \o/

- Graphics, why does it look like something out of irvine circa 2004?

- Camera is still shit, it´s too zoomed in and can´t get a clear view of my surroundings. It´s usable for combat but awful for exploring.

- Can´t remap the "enter" key, i play with a belkin ng52 keypad + mouse, so my keyboard is nowhere near my hands, it sucks that i can´t remap all the key to the keypad and still have to reach for my keyboard.

- Voice work... my god. After having played SW: TOR and then playing this, i can really appreciate the difference good voice over´s adds to a game, its jarring how bad the player interaction with npc´s is.

- Are all quests kill quests or fetch quests?

So based on purely "professional" reviews:

- Blacksmithing is useless
- Blacksmithing is over-powered
- Combat is tedious after 10-15 hours
- Combat is the game's saving grace throughout the entirety of the game
- The story/lore is lacking
- The store/lore is well-told an engaging
- The voice acting is bad
- The voice acting is a highlight

This is why I only read reviews to see if there's a consensus on possible bugs/framerate issues. The content of the reviews otherwise is pure shit.

Subjective reviews are subjective?

erragal

- Voice work... my god. After having played SW: TOR and then playing this, i can really appreciate the difference good voice over´s adds to a game, its jarring how bad the player interaction with npc´s is.

You actually think the voice work in this game is bad? Having just come from playing 250+ hours of TOR to this I find Amalur's dialogue to be far better written than the mostly canned responses of TOR side quests. Or is your complaint about the silent protagonist?

Loxley

They said (in this very thread, no less) the camera would not be fixed day one. They're working on potential fixes, but they would come in a future patch post-launch.

Kem0sabe

You actually think the voice work in this game is bad? Having just come from playing 250+ hours of TOR to this I find Amalur's dialogue to be far better written than the mostly canned responses of TOR side quests. Or is your complaint about the silent protagonist?

I played an Inquisitor and a Smugler in TOR, and the dialogue for the most part was galaxies better than in KoA, npc wise. I confess i´m just starting the game, but all these fake accents and fantasy cliches are getting on my nerves... :(

And yes... the silent protagonist is difficult to get into after playing more recent rpg´s that have fully voiced characters, like Geral or Shepard.

I played an Inquisitor and a Smugler in TOR, and the dialogue for the most part was galaxies better than in KoA, npc wise. I confess i´m just starting the game, but all these fake accents and fantasy cliches are getting on my nerves... :(

And yes... the silent protagonist is difficult to get into after playing more recent rpg´s that have fully voiced characters, like Geral or Shepard.

The silent protagonist is put in these games for a reason. Because the games you are playing are Role Playing Games. This means you use your own fantasy and bring in the feeling that YOU are the person in that fantasy world and not that you are playing a movie like in Mass Effect.

Kem0sabe

Thinking TOR has great voice work...I have now seen everything and can end this life.

So many lines from the smuggler story. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=107405

The deliciously campy evil of the sith inquisitor in the first chapter to the awesomeness of the smugglers one liners, yes... i think the voice work in TOR is awesome. :)

Can´t attest to other classes tho.

The silent protagonist is put in these games for a reason. Because the games you are playing are Role Playing Games. This means you use your own fantasy and bring in the feeling that YOU are the person in that fantasy world and not that you are playing a movie like in Mass Effect.

I agree to a point, more traditional text heavy rpg´s of the past had huge amount ´s of world building and exposition that pulled you in to the game, voice work or not. The old infinity engine game´s coming to mind as examples.

But cinematic rpg´s like The Witcher (which is as deep as KoA) or even Mass Effect, in which i would insert KoA amognst, would benefit from some good voice work on the protagonist. But then, that's personal preference i guess, Skyrim didn´t have voice work on the character and it was fine.

I'll gladly take the Mass Effect approach over the KOA/Skyrim approach any day of the week.

Boss Man

I definitely prefer a silent protagonist in games. There's something really immersive about it. It lets you be the character instead of just controlling the character.

dokish

Banned
I just realize: After you found a valuable piece of equipment, through treasure chest or loot, save the game! If you die, the equipment will not be the same. Tried this 4 times with treasure chests.

I'll gladly take the Mass Effect approach over the KOA/Skyrim approach any day of the week.

Different strokes for different folks.

I just realize: After you found a valuable piece of equipment, through treasure chest or loot, save the game! If you die, the equipment will not be the same. Tried this 4 times with treasure chests.

I am glad this is one of those games where the loot is random.

dokish

Banned
What happen when you choose "Let's rule together"?

Damn, this game is big, and already claims for another playthrough. :D Very nice.

scy

I'm still waiting to find good equipment with sockets :| Thankfully you can just craft Gems right into equipment but how about something super broken guys?! :x

erragal

The accents do a great job of creating atmosphere for a world that has really heavy anglo-saxon mythology influences. They're almost necessary for the story the game is trying to tell. It's not just about the accents as well; different races/classes of people also talk in a different cadence which reflects their culture as well.

Silent protagonist is definitely all subjective so I totally understand if you can't get into that. I probably prefer it to how bioware makes your character voice something completely different from what is written in the dialogue wheel.

So many lines from the smuggler story. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=107405

The deliciously campy evil of the sith inquisitor in the first chapter to the awesomeness of the smugglers one liners, yes... i think the voice work in TOR is awesome. :)

Can´t attest to other classes tho.

While I enjoyed the sith inquisitor's campy sarcasm I find the smuggler one liners to be mostly just juvenile cheese. The main difference is that the actual writing of the dialogue in KoA is clearly a class above what Bioware was doing. Every named NPC has multiple lines of dialogue that are completely different from everyone elses; each person has their own take on specific events/other people/topics that reflect their worldview. It's really quite immersive for a voice acted game.

I'm still waiting to find good equipment with sockets :| Thankfully you can just craft Gems right into equipment but how about something super broken guys?! :x

Pretty sure crafting them right onto the gear is far better than finding a blue with the proper socket anyhow. The hard part is actually finding the materials you need to make your overpowered gear because breaking down is completely random. For super broken you just need to make your 90% physical resistance set!

ReaperXL7

Different strokes for different folks.

I am glad this is one of those games where the loot is random.

alot of loot is random, but keep in mind that some stuff is not. they hand placed many unique items that will only be obtainable in one place, or at the end of a major quest line, etc.

How are you guys that are playing feeling about the amount of variation in armor "styles" does everything look pretty much the same, or are you finding lots of unique looking stuff. There are supposed to be 240+ unique armor sets, and tons of unique weapons, so i'm curious as to what you guys think about this aspect.

Kem0sabe

The accents do a great job of creating atmosphere for a world that has really heavy anglo-saxon mythology influences. They're almost necessary for the story the game is trying to tell. It's not just about the accents as well; different races/classes of people also talk in a different cadence which reflects their culture as well.

Silent protagonist is definitely all subjective so I totally understand if you can't get into that. I probably prefer it to how bioware makes your character voice something completely different from what is written in the dialogue wheel.

While I enjoyed the sith inquisitor's campy sarcasm I find the smuggler one liners to be mostly just juvenile cheese. The main difference is that the actual writing of the dialogue in KoA is clearly a class above what Bioware was doing. Every named NPC has multiple lines of dialogue that are completely different from everyone elses; each person has their own take on specific events/other people/topics that reflect their worldview. It's really quite immersive for a voice acted game.

I think i could relate more to lore and world event´s if everything just didn't sound so complicated. The race´s, the crystal war, the town names, even character´s names, they are so "out there" and strange sounding / hard to pronounce, that they actually end up breaking immersion instead of adding to it. :(

Other rpg´s in that regard i thought did a better job in introducing you to the game world´s mythology and concepts.

Lunch brake is over... going back to playing the game and explore the forest a bit. :)

How are you guys that are playing feeling about the amount of variation in armor "styles" does everything look pretty much the same, or are you finding lots of unique looking stuff. There are supposed to be 240+ unique armor sets, and tons of unique weapons, so i'm curious as to what you guys think about this aspect.

I am finding plenty of unique armor styles. I actually found one near Didenhill (just a simple village) but that involved some exploring since it was a hidden secret. An awesome secret to say the least.

scy

Pretty sure crafting them right onto the gear is far better than finding a blue with the proper socket anyhow.

I want both! Mostly because it kind of makes the Sagecraft ultimate ability of removing Gems kind of pointless if I never actually socket things.

The hard part is actually finding the materials you need to make your overpowered gear because breaking down is completely random. For super broken you just need to make your 90% physical resistance set!

I prefer the offense side of going after 100% crit rate.

ced

I am finding plenty of unique armor styles. I actually found one near Didenhill (just a simple village) but that involved some exploring since it was a hidden secret. An awesome secret to say the least.

Do these secrets require the detect hidden skills? I really liked finding random honey pots in the demo with it.

dokish

Banned
Sorry floodin the thread, but this games brings so many questions.

What could be better: + xx % mana/health, or +xx regen per sec?

I ask this because I have "Pristine gems" I have the possibility to choose between those two, health-wise.

erragal

I prefer the offense side of going after 100% crit rate.[/QUOTE]

Or +400% or so damage! There's a reason I'm respeccing out of blacksmithing so I can preserve my enjoyment of the game. It's too much temptation! I actually enjoy all of the loot drops and the lore so I want to have fun the whole way through the game.

Have you gotten mastercrafted blacksmith equipment yet? I'm wondering what that actually means and how they can become even more powerful?!

moop1167

Anyone know if loot in chests is random? In Divinity 2, you could keep reloading your game before opening a chest until you got what you want. It was kind of a cool little "exploit," but it was intended.

It's just like Skyrim. After the main quest you are free to do whatever in the world.
You can do EVERYTHING in one playthrough.

There is a huge incentive to replay the game despite the fact that you can easily respec your character. I have already seen numerous of quests where there is an good or evil outcome and it would be fun to see how big each impact is.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I was hoping to get into this tonight or even tomorrow morning, but Steam refused to pre-load faster than 100-200KBps, so I decided to instead download overnight the Steam rip of the game that's floating around the internet. The data should verify just fine within Steam when unpacked to KoA's steamapps folder.

Klyka

Banned
There is a huge incentive to replay the game despite the fact that you can easily respec your character. I have already seen numerous of quests where there is an good or evil outcome and it would be fun to see how big each impact is.

Oh yeah totally, seeing different outcomes and getting different twists of fate is cool.
I just meant that you can do every piece of content in one playthrough. You won't be locked out of stuff.
Well, unless you kill quest givers ^^

scy

Have you gotten mastercrafted blacksmith equipment yet? I'm wondering what that actually means and how they can become even more powerful?!

Szx1B.jpg

They're both Sylvanite bases; not sure how they compare to non-Mastercrafted equipment.

I'm keeping Blacksmithing if only due to the fact I haven't gotten a loot upgrade in hours prior to using it :/

Also, I may have to take back what I said about Tempest in Finesse/Sorcery. Currently at Level 25 with only +10% Mana and I'm sitting at 334 total right now as a 52 Finesse/26 Sorcery. That would probably closer to 400+ with 50 points in Sorcery. Even with -70% Mana pool from sustained buffs, you can definitely cast Tempest in this build with some Casting cost reduction equipment (or, say, the -20% Casting Cost Gem).

erragal

They're both Sylvanite bases; not sure how they compare to non-Mastercrafted equipment.

I'm keeping Blacksmithing if only due to the fact I haven't gotten a loot upgrade in hours prior to using it :/

You are much, much further in the game than I am. Spending even more time reading lore than I thought. I'm only level 15; you must be at least in the 20's to be getting the drops to make gear like that! EDIT: Just saw that you're level 25. Doesn't seem that crazy from a damage standpoint. It's really the stacking armor bonuses that break blacksmithing wide open.

scy

You are much, much further in the game than I am. I spend even more time reading lore than I thought. I'm only level 15; you must be at least in the 20's to be getting the drops to make gear like that!

Level 25 though I got the Sylvanite mats earlier than that. There seems to be a loot level cap by region with a few exceptions (I got a Sylvanite drop from the House of Ballads finale, for instance); Erathell is giving me almost exclusively Azurite+ drops while Dalentarth topped out around there.

EDIT: Just saw that you're level 25. Doesn't seem that crazy from a damage standpoint. It's really the stacking armor bonuses that break blacksmithing wide open

Well, I can crit for around 1200+ in damage so there's that.

erragal

Level 25 though I got the Sylvanite mats earlier than that. There seems to be a loot level cap by region with a few exceptions (I got a Sylvanite drop from the House of Ballads finale, for instance); Erathell is giving me almost exclusively Azurite+ drops while Dalentarth topped out around there.

That's a great feature for the most part. Seems like I'll have no trouble maintaining difficulty throughout the game if I avoid reckoning, alchemy, and crazy blacksmithing (Might have to make myself a staff at some point though!)

Well, I can crit for around 1200+ in damage so there's that.

Are you using crafted armor too? I imagine blade honing with a high crit rate can result in absurd numbers. I'm just loathe to one shot everything I fight because I want to have fun for the next hundred hours of content.

scy

Are you using crafted armor too? I imagine blade honing with a high crit rate can result in absurd numbers. I'm just loathe to one shot everything I fight because I want to have fun for the next hundred hours of content.

Armor isn't crafted since I can't replicate some of the bonuses (my Set Chest has better +Crit Damage% and I want the +2 Skills if I find a second piece, Boots and Helm provide +Skills, Legs have three slots). And 1.2k crits is cute vs the things I'm fighting :| Even Wolves have like 2000 HP.

I don't really have good Armor crafting options. Maybe 10% Crit and 5% Damage Resistance? I'd have to check.

Top Bottom