• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Syrionus

Neo Member
Ok. I am only level 3 and I am loving the crap out of this game. Fable/God of War/World of Warcraft/Fuckawesome animations/art/combat. I hate to be the guy to call out GOTY this early in the year but doubt anything is going to beat this. The only reason it could possibly not get it; because it's so early in the year and people's memories suck! Anyway, well worth the purchase!

Ok. I am only level 3 and I am loving the crap out of this game. Fable/God of War/World of Warcraft/Fuckawesome animations/art/combat. I hate to be the guy to call out GOTY this early in the year but doubt anything is going to beat this. The only reason it could possibly not get it; because it's so early in the year and people's memories suck! Anyway, well worth the purchase!

Based on the early reviews, I'm guessing it will only be getting some personal GOTYs from gamers, but not from any websites. Some pretty low scores.

It is not going to win news reporting game sites GOTY's but it is going to win plenty of gamer GOTY's and the last one counts.

ReaperXL7

It is not going to win news reporting game sites GOTY's but it is going to win plenty of gamer GOTY's and the last one counts.

I was just reading the forums and it seems like a lot of the reviews are positive with some lower scores. Also seems to be a situation where some reviewers love a part of the game that the next dislikes. I think its too early to tell really for goty but it seems like a lot of people really like it.

I was just reading the forums and it seems like a lot of the reviews are positive with some lower scores. Also seems to be a situation where some reviewers love a part of the game that the next dislikes. I think its too early to tell really for goty but it seems like a lot of people really like it.

This is my GOTY without a doubt. The only contender for me could be Mass Effect 3 but so far it blows everything out of the water when I compare it to games released in the last couple of months.

I could see myself replaying this when I have done absolutely everything with my rogue character.

Muskweeto

I have to wait until 10am tomorrow for my preorder. You guys who have it already are killing me, but I have three days off work, so yay!

Guys, it's February.

Sessler's review was nonsense. His complaints were genre complaints that apply to reckoning but, somehow, not skyrim.

IGN's video review, of all things, got me the most pumped. Seeing a bunch of the higher level combat in action kicked me off the fence and turned me into a day 1er.

Chris_C

Just picked this up, cracked it open, and installing the PS3 version. Only annoyance is that the online code doesn't work (it's an Asian copy and I'm playing with a US account.)

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Just picked this up, cracked it open, and installing the PS3 version. Only annoyance is that the online code doesn't work (it's an Asian copy and I'm playing with a US account.)

Redeem the code on the HK (or whichever) store and download it. You'll then be able to use it on your US account.

Yaska

Darn thursday for unlocking this game for me. Well atleast gives me some time to study for exams, do other stuff. (preload almost done ^^)

Torraz

Nearly downloaded. Will try the VPN trick in rougly 5 hours when I get back. Hopefully I can activate it since I dont want to wait until Thursday.

Rommel

5daKT.jpg

I found these in the chest at the first town. 2 purples and a set of yellows... any idea what they are for?

daedalius

After a bit more time with the faeblades, they seem far more flashy than actually damaging.

Loving the chakrams though.

Might switch to a might/sorc build instead, go greatsword/chakrams.

Klyka

Banned
Shephards Armor is the Mass Effect 3 armor, you get that for buying the game new.

The Infernal Helm is for playing the KOA demo.

Staab

Think those are the ME3 tie-in rewards for completing the demo.
Purple is an exquisite quality item, yellows are set items.

After a bit more time with the faeblades, they seem far more flashy than actually damaging.

Loving the chakrams though.

Might switch to a might/sorc build instead, go greatsword/chakrams.

People will soon come to their senses and realize that faeblades are useless in comparison with daggers.

Klyka

Banned
People will soon come to their senses and realize that faeblades are useless in comparison with daggers.

Daggers do better backstabs, but my Faeblades destroy groups with ease, combo perfectly with Chakrams and can easily devastate single enemies with some clever use of the charge attack + delay attack.

Seriously, no weapon is "better" than another.

It seems like Gamespot's going to make a name for itself by giving out lower-than-expected review scores. After McShea's 7.5 for Skyward Sword, I can't say I'm surprised they would give this game a similar score (not that it reflects my thoughts thus far on the game).

Kevin Van Ord gave it a 7.5, citing the world as "uninspired" and heavily criticizing the generic quests. He was very positive about the combat system, however.

Other reviews, such as 1up and Destructoid, seem to hover in the 80ish range, with Joystiq and IGN being on the high-end of the spectrum (5-stars and 9/10). It'll be interesting what Metacritic ends up settling at for this game - my guess is a low 80.

So yes, unfortunately I see little GOTY accolades coming its way. On the positive end, I think this game may have forever changed the Elder Scrolls series. I doubt Bethesda will release another game with combat as atrocious as Skyrim.

Daggers do better backstabs, but my Faeblades destroy groups with ease, combo perfectly with Chakrams and can easily devastate single enemies with some clever use of the charge attack + delay attack.

Seriously, no weapon is "better" than another.

I have tried them and they become useless when you are up against tougher enemies about 12 hours in the game. The faeblades are mostly combo weapons but unfortunately you engage into a combo so fast which means you cannot dodge until it is over. They are mostly style then power.

Bioware and Bethesda could learn a lot from the combat system in this game.

Bethesda I'll acknowledge, but I'm not too keen on Bioware making Dragon Age into an action RPG. DA:O's combat was one of the most refreshing and tactically challenging mechanics I've seen in an RPG in a while, and is truly different than its competition. DA2's combat was generally an improvement IMO (on harder difficulties where you're forced to pause and issue commands). The only big improvements I'd like to see to Bioware's Dragon Age combat formula are 1. Bring the top-down tactical view back from DA:O PC version (and implement it for consoles, too!), and 2. Stop making me pause every 1-2 seconds to issue commands and bring back action ques a la KOTOR 1&2.

Otherwise, yes. Between this and Dark Souls, Bethesda should not release another game until they can figure out how to make combat fun.

See this for my feelings on Skyrim's combat:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/5020-The-Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim

Klyka

Banned
I have tried them and they become useless when you are up against tougher enemies about 12 hours in the game. The faeblades are mostly combo weapons but unfortunately you engage into a combo so fast which means you cannot dodge until it is over. They are mostly style then power.

Seeing how I am lvl 20 and 16 hours into the game, using my Faeblades to completely destroy everything that's coming at me so far on hard mode, I politely disagree and say it's preference.
Also "can't dodge till they are over"? What? You can dodge out of ANY normal attack apart from the last hit (or "combo finisher" as you can call it) at ANY TIME. ALWAYS. MID SWING.

masterkajo

Bethesda I'll acknowledge, but I'm not too keen on !@#$%^&* making Dragon Age into an action RPG. DA:O's combat was one of the most refreshing and tactically challenging mechanics I've seen in an RPG in a while, and is truly !@#$%^&* than its competition. DA2's combat was generally an improvement IMO (on harder difficulties where you're forced to pause and issue commands). The only !@#$%^&* improvements I'd like to see to !@#$%^&*'s Dragon Age combat formula are 1. Bring the top-down tactical view back from DA:O PC version (and implement it for consoles, too!), and 2. Stop making !@#$%^&* pause every 1-2 seconds to issue commands and bring back action ques a la KOTOR 1&2.

Otherwise, yes. Between this and !@#$%^&* Souls, Bethesda should not release another !@#$%^&* until they can figure !@#$%^&* how to make combat fun.

See this for my feelings on Skyrim's combat:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/ !@#$%^&*-punctuation/5020-The-Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim

I agree with you. I really liked the combat in DA:O. DA2 was a bit too awesome (see what I did there?) for me. It is ok I guess even though I don't need all these fast and fancy animations. What I however did not like was the wave encounters.

Still, I am looking forward to KoA:R now and the pre-load is almost complete... gotta go and play soon :)

Seeing how I am lvl 20 and 16 hours into the game, using my Faeblades to completely destroy everything that's coming at me so far on hard mode, I politely disagree and say it's preference.
Also "can't dodge till they are over"? What? You can dodge out of ANY normal attack apart from the last hit (or "combo finisher" as you can call it) at ANY TIME. ALWAYS. MID SWING.

Then my dodge function must have been faulty because I could not escape when attacking an enemy.

Maybe it is just personal preference. I like the daggers because they give a higher DPS then any weapon available and if an enemy is engaged in combat with me they will have already lost 50% of their health before they could even try and take a swing at me. The only weird thing is that I keep getting faeblades from all over the place but daggers are very hard to come by. I finally got some new purple daggers from a boss I killed but that took a very long time.

Sylonious

Based on the early reviews, I'm guessing it will only be getting some personal GOTYs from gamers, but not from any websites. Some pretty low scores.

Yeah, G4TV gave it a 2.5/5. That's rough. Sessler said he did every quest he could find and it was 70 hours. Metacritic so far has the game at 80%. Around the same score as FF-XIII-2.

I'm thinking GOTY talk is over.

I say enjoy the game, because who knows when or if a sequel will come out.

Klyka

Banned
Then my dodge function must have been faulty because I could not escape when attacking an enemy.

Maybe it is just personal preference. I like the daggers because they give a higher DPS then any weapon available and if an enemy is engaged in combat with me they will have already lost 50% of their health before they could even try and take a swing at me. The only weird thing is that I keep getting faeblades from all over the place but daggers are very hard to come by. I finally got some new purple daggers from a boss I killed but that took a very long time.

Man, I get SO many daggers, you have no idea.
Want to switch games? XD

Yeah, G4TV gave it a 2.5/5. That's rough. Sessler said he did every quest he could find and it was 70 hours. Metacritic so far has the game at 80%. Around the same score as FF-XIII-2.

I'm thinking GOTY talk is over.

I say enjoy the game, because who knows when or if a sequel will come out.

Schilling talked about a sequel when he thought this game was going to get a 95% metacritic score (Final Score podcast). Who knows what will happen now that the metacritic score is hovering around 80%.

2.5/5 for Amalur? ................ what?

It is miles above what Dragon Age and Skyrim showed in terms of gameplay and most of the quests are much more fun as well. The only downside is that it is not as story-engaging but that does not bother me one bit.

Man, I get SO many daggers, you have no idea.
Want to switch games? XD

I do not know what it is. I have had tons of purple Faeblades from strong elite enemies but I actually had to buy me a dagger from a store in order to catch up with my damage output against enemies.
It was not until yesterday that I finally got a new set of daggers.

Klyka

Banned
I honestly find the stories (especially the faction ones) much more engaging and better written than Skyrim's. Like, a LOT better.

I honestly find the stories (especially the faction ones) much more engaging and better written than Skyrim's. Like, a LOT better.

They have a more interesting background story but the way the stories told are handled are mediocre at best. For me they should have just completely skipped some of the voices used in this game, especially from some of the faction tellers. It is just a slight downside but I can see how some reviewers tear that up in this day and age of gaming after games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age got released whom showed far more engaging character interaction.

Klyka

Banned
They have a more interesting background story but the way the stories told are handled are mediocre at best. For me they should have just completely skipped some of the voices used in this game, especially from some of the faction tellers. It is just a slight downside but I can see how some reviewers tear that up in this day and age of gaming after games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age got released whom showed far more engaging character interaction.

Oh yeah I agree that the character interaction is better in those.

as much as I am enjoying the game.. it is becoming clear that the PC version was a lazy effort.

Even the promised key binding in the final version is broken. the camera keys and the movement keys affect each other.. if you try to change the movement keys to the arrow keys and camera to something else, as soon as you start changing the camera keys, it alters the movement keys to what you're setting the camera keys to.

Anyone think it would be helpful to create a list of PC-centric issues to help 38 Studios and BHG reproduce and fix the problems?

Here are the issues I've found with the PC version -

*1. Key bindings don't work properly, setting camera keys changes movement keys to the same key and results in multiple directions being set to the same keypress

*2. Load times are longer when v-sync is enabled (at least double), leading me to believe that the streaming/loading of game data is tied to the frame rate. This is a similar issue to what Deus Ex: Human Revolution experienced before Nixxes (The developer of the PC version) patched it. After the patch, load times were 10 seconds or less vs 45+ in that case.

***3. LOD- Pop-in Issues - Per JoeQ, LOD values are pre-determined in the asset files themselves and cannot be altered dynamically.

**4. Camera/FOV issues.. camera is too close to the character for many people with no option to change. Camera auto-adjusts to position directly behind your character after camera manipulation stops (It's hard to sneak up on enemies when the camera keeps correcting your perfectly positioned view to a kill!)

* Should require a reasonable amount of effort to resolve.
** Already being worked on, apparently
*** Unreasonable level of effort likely required, but would be extremely awesome.

Top Bottom