• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

It is a shame to hear some of you are having issues with the PC version. I can understand that those things can ruin the overall experience. Can you not use an Xbox 360 controller with the PC version until the problems are fixed?

shaowebb

as much as I am enjoying the game.. it is becoming clear that the PC version was a lazy effort.

Even the promised key binding in the final version is broken. the camera keys and the movement keys affect each other.. if you try to change the movement keys to the arrow keys and camera to something else, as soon as you start changing the camera keys, it alters the movement keys to what you're setting the camera keys to.

Anyone think it would be helpful to create a list of PC-centric issues to help 38 Studios and BHG reproduce and fix the problems?

Here are the issues I've found with the PC version -

*1. Key bindings don't work properly, setting camera keys changes movement keys to the same key and results in multiple directions being set to the same keypress

*2. Load times are longer when v-sync is enabled (at least double), leading me to believe that the streaming/loading of game data is tied to the frame rate. This is a similar issue to what Deus Ex: Human Revolution experienced before Nixxes (The developer of the PC version) patched it. After the patch, load times were 10 seconds or less vs 45+ in that case.

***3. LOD- Pop-in Issues - Per JoeQ, LOD values are pre-determined in the asset files themselves and cannot be altered dynamically.

**4. Camera/FOV issues.. camera is too close to the character for many people with no option to change. Camera auto-adjusts to position directly behind your character after camera manipulation stops (It's hard to sneak up on enemies when the camera keeps correcting your perfectly positioned view to a kill!)

* Should require a reasonable amount of effort to resolve.
** Already being worked on, apparently
*** Unreasonable level of effort likely required, but would be extremely awesome.

PC disc or steam? Steam doesn't seem to have those problems from what i've noticed. Course I'm playing with a 360 controller on it.
Also kill a bear and rush it. The body is ragdoll for a good bit so you can flop it around and pose it for crazy photo ops :D

EDIT: Also the hats really are untrade able lol. Thing is me and the guy on steam by that point didn't really care. We hit it off pretty nicely and I made a really cool buddy in China to chat with now. Dude is pretty awesome and its fun sharing info about things between our countries. Thanks for those Steam hats 38 studios! They can't be traded but they got me a really cool new friend! I consider that worth more than the cash the hats were going to sell for anyday.

Wallach, that's a band-aid for a problem that BHG should fix, imo. If the game's own v-sync setting causes problems.. then it should be fixed.

I am playing using a controller, but people who want to play with a keyboard are having a hell of a time with issues like that.

If I wasn't using a controller, I don't think I would be able to enjoy this game nearly as much as I have been. (which is quite a bit)

I am playing the origin version of the game...

Wallach, that's a band-aid for a problem that BHG should fix, imo. If the game's own v-sync setting causes problems.. then it should be fixed.

I am playing using a controller, but people who want to play with a keyboard are having a hell of a time with issues like that.

If I wasn't using a controller, I don't think I would be able to enjoy this game nearly as much as I have been. (which is quite a bit)

I am playing the origin version of the game...

At least you can play it in an optimal situation for now. I am sure the guys over at BHG will fix this. They have already listened to tons of feedback about the camera as well.

At least you can play it in an optimal situation for now. I am sure the guys over at BHG will fix this. They have already listened to tons of feedback about the camera as well.

I have confidence that at least some of these issues will be fixed, though folks are waiting to see the camera fix example video that JoeQ mentioned on the official forums last week.

I'd assume that folks are going to be on vacation since the game just got released.. that much crunch time can't be good for anybody. Hopefully when they get back they can start addressing these issues.

No shit. That doesn't mean anyone should deal with it until that happens.

I apologize, I misunderstood your statement. I read that as saying "It's not an issue.. work around it with this."

I've been in software support too long.. workarounds given as solutions to problems are far too common, unfortunately.

What hurt them the most was positioning themselves as sort of a Skyrim killer. I know they didn't say it, but the devs mentioned Skyrim way too much in interviews.

I do not see how that could warrant the extremely low review scores if the reviewers actually have eyes and a brain to simply see and understand that Amalur is miles beyond everything that has been shown for an RPG in the last couple of years, especially when it comes down to sheer gameplay fun and excellence.

Every ''respectable'' reviewer seems to cater towards games that are hyped for the masses. Fallout New Vegas, Dragon Age 2, Skyrim. If the name of Bethesda and Bioware falls down from the holy heavens every gaming site seems to jump on the bandwagon for a free ride on the hype train. Because you are ''cool'' if you are with the ''respectable'' mass.

1up and IGN seem to get it. Gamespot giving this a 7.5 is a freaking laugh.

Klyka

Banned
I do not see how that could warrant the extremely low review scores if the reviewers actually have eyes and a brain to simply see and understand that Amalur is miles beyond everything that has been shown for an RPG in the last couple of years, especially when it comes down to sheer gameplay fun and excellence.

Every ''respectable'' reviewer seems to cater towards games that are hyped for the masses. Fallout New Vegas, Dragon Age 2, Skyrim. If the name of Bethesda and Bioware falls down from the holy heavens every gaming site seems to jump on the bandwagon for a free ride on the hype train. Because you are ''cool'' if you are with the ''respectable'' mass.

You're a good guy man and I'd share a couple beers with you.

Amalur is a really, really good game.
It has faults, every game has, but caling it anything but a good game is laughable.
I can't see how you can rate it lower than 8/10.

I mean, this is not some 15 hour action game with rpg elements.
This is a huge RPG with action combat. Like, seriously HUGE.
I've been playing for 15 hours and I still haven't explored 2 1/2 entire zones in the first region "Dalentarth". And there are 5 fucking regions!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
CE42F967BF9D5D290C5139DECE0B5D7EA6D812BF

HERPY DERP. I don't know what's up but this npc has the worst facial and eye movements ever. shit down right made me laugh

Wallach

HERPY DERP. I don't know what's up but this npc has the worst facial and eye movements ever. shit down right made me laugh

Link seems to be broken, but I have a feeling I know what you're talking about and I've come across more than one guy like that:

qjQlL.jpg

Edit - yours seems to be fixed now.

Kem0sabe

So yes, unfortunately I see little GOTY accolades coming its way. On the positive end, I think this game may have forever changed the Elder Scrolls series. I doubt Bethesda will release another game with combat as atrocious as Skyrim.

Bethesda didn´t change their standard post- daggerfall combat because of Diablo, or Diablo 2 or Mass Effect, or whatever other successful action rpg release.

Why would they do it because of KoA? Most fan´s dont play rpg´s because of the flashy combat, they do it because of the sense of world building and immersion, else Planescape, baldurs gate, the witcher or the elder scrolls games would have never had any kind of critical or fan acclaim, as their combat systems were usually counter intuitive.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Still no camera fix eh? Guess I'll wait until the first flow of patches are released then. Do not think I could tide myself over by not playing the game if I buy it while waiting for a patch to fix the camera on PC :(

I know that the money helps the currently positive impression of a startup company, but I see it constantly in the top 5 in the Steam best seller list and them TF2 hats aren't as tempting anymore since I don't play it. I'm sure they will appreciate it nonetheless when I do get around to buying it when the patches are confirmed. LOD issues I can deal with but the camera!

And for all the distaste thrown at its generic settings, it seems slightly hypocritical of myself to not care about the typical high fantasy scenarios when I am very vocal about the writing quality in games. I'll wear the dunce hat during play while I secretly enjoy the lore.

Klyka

Banned
To be fair, the game isn't even really out yet everywhere, so the camera fix not being in yet is kinda expected.

Social

true that about the facial hair. It's like they are all wearing wigs and fake beards XD

funny though... enjoying the game anyway

ParityBit

I guess people their opinion just differ a lot. I myself find Skyrim's world very uninspiring and Amalur's world very inspiring. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

I played Skyrim for 180 hours or so. The last 100 hours was going through the motions because I was a completetionist and I like to get the most out of games I buy. The combat was boring, there was no such thing as a loot drop because I crafted crap that was 10000 times better and I still have about 10 perk points unused.

Wallach

I put like six hours into it tonight and got my first stash. Paying the extra gold when you get access to it is totally worth it.

Been playing pure Sorcery like I planned and so far it I've been having a great time. I actually respecced out of the lightning line and have been using everything else. Haven't been using sceptres as much (even though I like the block attack special) because chakram and staff go together pretty well. My bread and butter right now is 3x chakram basic -> block + staff vortex -> Mark of Flame or Ice Barrage depending on the number of targets. Also generally running around with the Faer Gorta since he's an extra target for them to beat on and doesn't require any kind of babysitting.

Really looking forward to getting blink. Also detect hidden is pretty cool but sagecraft is the real king.

Kem0sabe

Eurogamer review is up 8/10. Very nice read, much better than the vapid PR stuff IGN posted in their exclusive.

Anyways, im happy to learn that the game picks up after the first act, which i assume is based on the Faye forest? or whatever it´s called.

Think im gonna take the leap of faith and buy it in the hope that the game world develops into something much more enticing than what the demo led on... and that the stupid camera gets fixed :(

I played Skyrim for 180 hours or so. The last 100 hours was going through the motions because I was a completetionist and I like to get the most out of games I buy. The combat was boring, there was no such thing as a loot drop because I crafted crap that was 10000 times better and I still have about 10 perk points unused.

Apparently blacksmithing in KoA is even worse, you can brake the game from the start with godly crafted items... purely based on people´s impressions, not mine.

I'm loving every minute of this game. I picked the race that has +1 lockpicking and am regretting that because someone said lockpicking is useless since you can just use lockpicks. Are those +1 skills when choosing a race significant? is that +1 a big boost

voltron

Anyone know whats doing with the Xbox Live demo of this? Im getting an error message when trying to download.

Its possibly due to my Internet being capped at the moment (due to exceeding my monthly download limit... you guys in the States have no fucking clue what Im talking here... fucking shitty Aus Internet).... however my plan is supposed to include unmetered Xbox Live downloads.

cancel that.... downloading fine now. Token xbox live fuck up I guess.

This game totally flew under my radar. Literally havent heard about it on any podcasts or anything at all. Maybe it will give me incentive to actually stop fucking about and finish Skyrim, instead of just clearing caves and doing my utmost to avoid making any sort of progress at all :lol

I'm loving every minute of this game. I picked the race that has +1 lockpicking and am regretting that because someone said lockpicking is useless since you can just use lockpicks. Are those +1 skills when choosing a race significant? is that +1 a big boost

Lockpicking is not all that useless but there are better skills you can put your points in. Each point you put into lockpicking decreases the chance of you breaking picks, and on later levels you can even open Very Easy, Easy, Average and Hard chests without any hassle.

It all depends on what you are playing but I would suggest putting points into the Detect Hidden skill despite what class you are currently playing. It is a skill that should not be missed. Everything is else is pure choice but I'd highly suggest picking Blacksmithing despite the fact that some people mentioned you ''can'' break the game with it. It is all your choice if you decide to do that in the end.

Anyways, im happy to learn that the game picks up after the first act, which i assume is based on the Faye forest? or whatever it´s called.

For me the game picked up after 12 hours. It all depends on how fast you get there but I did every single quest possible in the first region before progressing towards the next.

All the lush forest environments do look pretty amazing but I am dieing to see some oceans and deserts.

Lockpicking is not all that useless but there are better skills you can put your points in. Each point you put into lockpicking decreases the chance of you breaking picks, and on later levels you can even open Very Easy, Easy, Average and Hard chests without any hassle.

It all depends on what you are playing but I would suggest putting points into the Detect Hidden skill despite what class you are currently playing. It is a skill that should not be missed. Everything is else is pure choice but I'd highly suggest picking Blacksmithing despite the fact that some people mentioned you ''can'' break the game with it. It is all your choice if you decide to do that in the end.
My character is really hot, wanna see a pic? :D

kitzkozan

Reckoning was never going to outscore Skyrim or the most hyped wrpg out there. Gameplay is all fine and dandy, but game critics aren't that focused on it. If they did, would Vanquish be sitting there with a metacritic of 84 while the Gears or Uncharted are above 90+? (points were knocked away because of awful voice acting, short duration, lack of multiplayer, etc) The overall presentation is important for critics, which is a lesson Curt and his team must learn if they want to play the review game.

I expected the game to be between 85 and 90, but it seems the presentation isn't quite up to par. The fact that most quests are vanilla WoW aka 2004 design doesn't help either. :p Since they seems to have the gameplay down, it should be easier to improve the other aspect of their game.

Wallach

How are the preorder weapons and armor?

I don't know about the Might specific stuff (Shepard's armor mostly), but the weapons I got rid of pretty quick. About what you'd expect for pre-order junk; useful for a few levels at the start.

I'm still curious as to what the Gamestop ToF card does, that bothers me.

Bethesda didn´t change their standard post- daggerfall combat because of Diablo, or Diablo 2 or Mass Effect, or whatever other successful action rpg release.

Why would they do it because of KoA? Most fan´s dont play rpg´s because of the flashy combat, they do it because of the sense of world building and immersion, else Planescape, baldurs gate, the witcher or the elder scrolls games would have never had any kind of critical or fan acclaim, as their combat systems were usually counter intuitive.

I'm not praising Amalur because its combat is "flashy." If anything, the only real difference in combat from Oblivion to Skyrim was that it became more "flashy," what with dual-wielding spells and the like.

I am praising Amalur because its combat is a good gameplay mechanic, unlike Skyrim. I'll agree with you and say that the world of Skyrim is probably unparalleled in video games currently in terms of depth and breadth, but at the unfortunate sacrifice of gameplay. It is a blast to spend hours on hours discovering new places, people, stories. But it is not fun to fight.

Why would they change their combat after Amalur, and not Diablo or Mass Effect? Simple. Diablo is a top-down "clickfest" action RPG, whereas Elder Scrolls games have always been 1st person oriented (with the option of third person, but who plays that way?). That's like saying Elder Scrolls combat didn't change after Final Fantasy 13 came out. Why would it? They're absolutely nothing alike! Mass Effect has gone on to become a third person shooter/RPG hybrid, which for obvious reasons has little bearing on the first-person oriented action of Skyrim. I don't think anybody here would argue that Skryim and Diablo are the same "type" of RPG. Same goes for Skyrim and both the Mass Effect and Dragon Age series.

Amalur, on the other hand, although a third-person game, is comparable gameplay-wise with Skyrim in a lot of ways, more so than any other western RPG out there right now. Almost everything outside of combat is highly comparable between the two games. While I'd give Skyrim the nod in 9/10 categories, Amalur's combat is light years better than Skyrim's. Because Amalur has situated itself as such a close competitor to Skyrim (whether or not you think it is as good of a game is irrelevant, they're still selling nearly identical products), Bethesda would be foolish not to pay attention to what aspects of the genre BHG has clearly done better than they have.

In summary, I think Amalur has carved a niche for itself in the increasingly crowded WRPG market by creating a fun and unique (for this genre at least) combat mechanic. Mass Effect 2 greatly improved on the ME series' combat mechanic and ME3 looks to be the definitive version. As I said earlier, DA2's combat was great (even if the encounters weren't) and different than everything else. Demons'/Dark Souls combat is brilliant and makes the entire game, and is different than anything else. In my book, that leaves the Witcher 2 (combat was very "meh," worse than Witcher 1 IMO) and Skyrim floating without clear direction about where to take their combat.

People want to play games with fun and riveting stories, and be immersed in them, sure. But I don't think we have to settle for shoddy gameplay, either. As I explained above, Skryim is really behind the wagon in terms of combat when compared to all other WRPGs... If Bethesda wants its next Elder Scrolls game (or Fallout game!) to really be the premier WRPG, it needs to learn some lessons from Amalur.

This is just one of the things that puts me off. A female character model wielding a warhammer that is almost as big as her. That is why I never play a female warrior.

I LOVE big Thor hammers in games. It's my favorite weapon in games, makes me feel like a badass and love the oomph and power. In Dungeon Defenders I had this epic thor hammer that was so big it clipped into the ground, biggest I've ever seen. It was like 1.5x to 2x the size of the character.

kitzkozan

I LOVE big Thor hammers in games. It's my favorite weapon in games, makes me feel like a badass and love the oomph and power. In Dungeon Defenders I had this epic thor hammer that was so big it clipped into the ground, biggest I've ever seen.

I also love them because they are crazy over the top. There's just no way anyone could fight with these as they would weight 500+ pounds. :p If you want to be realistic, only freakish monster type warriors would be able to wield them, but where's the fun in that. ;)

erragal

My impressions after a solid 12 hours of gameplay (With lots of time spent reading pointless lore mind you):

Core gameplay is polished, fluid and just plain fun. It's not necessarily combo based as much as it is managing enemy behaviours using the tools you have at your disposal but those tools are so fun to use that I always want to fight every enemy I come across. The camera does get too low and tight on your character at times but it's never been for long enough that i died from it.

Difficulty is a mixed bag. I've played entirely on hard and the game so far definitely can be punishing as enemies don't give you a break and the damage output is quite high. Unfortunately they left a lot of loopholes (as mentioned ad nauseum in the thread) that can exploit the game. Between potion spamming, blacksmithing, and reckoning mode you have lots of ways you can cheese the game in traditional RPG fashion. What's strange for me is that I don't want to break this game open. Limiting my potion use (only carrying a stack of 10 that I've found, never buying any), minimizing reckoning usage, and not destroying my fun with blacksmithing just seem worthwhile because of how much fun I have with the combat when it's challenging.

That said, I understand how some people find it inexcusable that the game doesn't regulate player behavior itself. Certainly in the future they need to put a difficulty mode in that either limits player exploitation or pushes the player enough that these exploits become needed upgrades. It's clear that making the game punishing wasn't one of their design goals, however.

For my part I'm really enjoying the graphics, music, and overall atmosphere of the game. While so far the environments are fairly traditional I've found the intricate use of anglo-saxon mythology (As opposed to sticking to cliche modern fantasy D&d archetypes) to be impressive. Dialogue is decently voice acted for the most part and clearly professionally written; it's a huge step above anything else recently available in the genre.What I don't understand are professional review criticisms of this part of the game; it smacks to me of people who just have no depth in the fantasy genre and certainly were not paying attention to the House of Ballads quest line at all. There's a reason you get that line so early in the game, I'd highly suggest everyone makes it a priority.

I can't wait to keep playing and particularly looking forward to the later regions and encounters. If you're not a power gamer or you don't mind a little self-regulation there's a lot of fun to be found in this game!

ReaperXL7

My impressions after a solid 12 hours of gameplay (With lots of time spent reading pointless lore mind you):

Core gameplay is polished, fluid and just plain fun. It's not necessarily combo based as much as it is managing enemy behaviours using the tools you have at your disposal but those tools are so fun to use that I always want to fight every enemy I come across. The camera does get too low and tight on your character at times but it's never been for long enough that i died from it.

Difficulty is a mixed bag. I've played entirely on hard and the game so far definitely can be punishing as enemies don't give you a break and the damage output is quite high. Unfortunately they left a lot of loopholes (as mentioned ad nauseum in the thread) that can exploit the game. Between potion spamming, blacksmithing, and reckoning mode you have lots of ways you can cheese the game in traditional RPG fashion. What's strange for me is that I don't want to break this game open. Limiting my potion use (only carrying a stack of 10 that I've found, never buying any), minimizing reckoning usage, and not destroying my fun with blacksmithing just seem worthwhile because of how much fun I have with the combat when it's challenging.

That said, I understand how some people find it inexcusable that the game doesn't regulate player behavior itself. Certainly in the future they need to put a difficulty mode in that either limits player exploitation or pushes the player enough that these exploits become needed upgrades. It's clear that making the game punishing wasn't one of their design goals, however.

For my part I'm really enjoying the graphics, music, and overall atmosphere of the game. While so far the environments are fairly traditional I've found the intricate use of anglo-saxon mythology (As opposed to sticking to cliche modern fantasy D&d archetypes) to be impressive. Dialogue is decently voice acted for the most part and clearly professionally written; it's a huge step above anything else recently available in the genre.What I don't understand are professional review criticisms of this part of the game; it smacks to me of people who just have no depth in the fantasy genre and certainly were not paying attention to the House of Ballads quest line at all. There's a reason you get that line so early in the game, I'd highly suggest everyone makes it a priority.

I can't wait to keep playing and particularly looking forward to the later regions and encounters. If you're not a power gamer or you don't mind a little self-regulation there's a lot of fun to be found in this game!

Glad to hear your enjoying the game so far erragal, sucks that I have to wait until whenever UPS chooses to show up at my house, but I can't wait to see whats in this 10lb beast they are sending me.

I gotta be honest in playing the demo I was really interested in the lore/ and story portions that I had a chance to get into. I was really getting a celtic folklore sort of vibe from the game in alot of ways, of course the Fae are probably a nod to that, but it was also an overall world vibe.

RPGCrazied

Question for the PS3 users. Does this have horrid pop in textures like the demo? What about the sound cutting off or the fast forwarding of the text bugs?

dokish

Banned
I missed the info: Why blacksmithing breaks the game? I thought it was useless. :0

Can you make REALLY good staff from it? And what is the minimum level for making good stuff? (Full Sorcery build, so, if it's really that great, I could spend some points there...)

erragal

Glad to hear your enjoying the game so far erragal, sucks that I have to wait until whenever UPS chooses to show up at my house, but I can't wait to see whats in this 10lb beast they are sending me.

I gotta be honest in playing the demo I was really interested in the lore/ and story portions that I had a chance to get into. I was really getting a celtic folklore sort of vibe from the game in alot of ways, of course the Fae are probably a nod to that, but it was also an overall world vibe.

The way that they handle the fae and wyrd/fate aspects of the game are actually really intricate and interesting. This is from someone that usually hates elves/fae creatures in fantasy content of all types as well as not enjoying anything else that Salvatore has ever been involved with.

I'm convinced a lot of people are glossing over the House of Ballads content and just thinking 'oh these are the elves lol, who cares what they're doing' and not really enjoying those aspects of the story.

I missed the info: Why blacksmithing breaks the game? I thought it was useless. :0

Can you make REALLY good staff from it? And what is the minimum level for making good stuff? (Full Sorcery build, so, if it's really that great, I could spend some points there...)

You can make a good anything from it but there's a lot of randomness involved. You have to break down countless pieces of equipment and hope you get the right parts of the right quality to make what you want. There's lots of things that make it too powerful (At least early in the game, it could actually be rather underwhelming by endgame at least the weapons) but mostly it's being able to stack individual stats to the point they become far too powerful. Not any different from most games with crafting once you learn the tricks though. I could easily at level 15 have a set of armor with 90% physical resistance. That gem might just be overtuned to begin with though.

It definitely just feels like crafting needed another balance pass before the game went live; the actual drops in the game seem far more appropriate to when you get them and the flow of the game.

Top Bottom