• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Smokey

Maybe taking a stab in the dark here...but SLI...is it working on the PC ver? Plan to play this in 3d so it would probably help.

Also regarding the PC version...if I'm gonna play with the 360 controller and vsync off then its fine? Nothing gamebreaking?

Snaku

Banned
Amazon shipped my copy and it should be here within the hour. Just wanted to say I loved the demo, Curt. This game was nowhere near my radar until I played that, and I must have spent a day exerimenting with it. I honestly can't remember the last game I bought at launch for full price, but you and your team deserve it. I hope it's a breakout success for all involved.

Can't decide whether to go Champion or Universalist, though. =/

Naeblish

For the finesse players, can you use lunge to get behind an enemy while in stealth and then backstab (trigger the stealth kill)?

Klyka

Banned
For the finesse players, can you use lunge to get behind an enemy while in stealth and then backstab (trigger the stealth kill)?

I THINK any ability breaks stealth. Also, Lunge actually does damage to an enemy so it would immediately alert him to your presence.

scy

Nope; Lunge autohits when it connects. That said, I love Lunge now that I'm using it. The ability to essentially reset a combo is great. And it generates Fate! Pretty nifty ability all in all.

Far better than basically all of my points in Sorcery so far outside of Chakrams.

canedaddy

It was pretty cool, I chatted with Ken for a minute or two about his appearances on Weekend Confirmed/the Giant Bombcast. There was a also crowd of Big Huge employees outside the store cheering when people left the store game in hand.
I was coming to say this. To any Big Huge folks here, that was a classy move. I appreciate your appreciation. :)

It was a long drive for me and I too froze my ass off, but it was worth it to meet some cool people and swag out:

P1010045.jpg

Got a sexy T-shirt, signed poster and signed game.. many thanks guys!

Sadly, I was too tired by the time I got home to fire up the game... cannot wait to do that after work.

Presumably they have opinions and those opinions don't line up with yours.

No, really? I did not know that. Thanks for the ''smart'' post.

But where is the sense of credibility for these sites when the majority of their review colleague's give out a much higher review score. Are they not shooting themselves in the foot here?

Damn you GAF! I pre-ordered last night due to this thread...
I was a little interested last year but had completely forgot it was coming out so soon. I read this thread and downloaded the demo last night. When I finished the demo I jumped on amazon and ordered a copy. I explained to my wife that she has now purchased my valentine's day gift, so there's that...

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
wow the PS3 version has a 4G install.. maybe i should have bought the 360 version. i hope i have enough space in my ps3.

mxgt

Banned
But where is the sense of credibility for these sites when the majority of their review colleague's give out a much higher review score. Are they not shooting themselves in the foot here?

Too much emphasis is put on score instead of the actual written review these days. What's the point in even reviewing if you're pressured into giving the same scores as everyone else?

pakkit

Banned
No, really? I did not know that. Thanks for the ''smart'' post.

Credibility should be measured based on trueness to oneself. The way the critical journalism industry (and this is not solely unique to games journalism) piggybacks on corporate PR or the first big-name review is disgusting.

There exist plenty of divergent opinions on nearly every game. It's your option as a consumer to read them all and figure out if this game fits your fancy. Personally, after reading some of the negative opinions and what they've shared in common, I've decided that KoA is not for me.

scy

Presumably they have opinions and those opinions don't line up with yours.

To be fair, the article basically reads as, "Skyrim is great and this review is taking me away from playing Skyrim."

Credibility should be measured based on trueness to oneself. The way the critical journalism industry (and this is not solely unique to games journalism) piggybacks on corporate PR or the first big-name review is disgusting.

There exist plenty of divergent opinions on nearly every game. It's your option as a consumer to read them all and figure out if this game fits your fancy. Personally, after reading some of the negative opinions and what they've shared in common, I've decided that KoA is not for me.

It would depend on what the complaints are, I suppose; most of them just flat out don't seem to be the case or are nitpicking here where it's passable in other games.

Too much emphasis is put on score instead of the actual written review these days. What's the point in even reviewing if you're pressured into giving the same scores as everyone else?

I understand that there should be a diversity with reviews just the same as there should be diversity when it comes to being able to buy a car from different companies while under the hood they are almost one and the same. But what I do not understand is that reviewers do follow the masses when it comes with the name Bethesda or Bioware but not with others. I am kind of having the feeling that a lot of them cater towards the ''easy way out''

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
My copy is out for delivery. Should arrive around lunch time. Can't wait. :O

Watching my roommate play early while waiting for my copy has been pretty difficult. @_@

kitzkozan

Doesn't matter at this point, Curt and his team will have to improve for the sequel. This is how he will see it and let's be honest, it was unrealistic of him to think he could get a 95 rating for a first effort from mostly inexperienced game creators outside of some big names. Doesn't change the fact that I'm gonna buy it even if there's plenty of flaws which I expected. :p I'm gonna give my own feedback on what could be improved for the sequel as I see a ton of potential in this dev.

Nista

I got a lucky kiss from Ken at the end of the signing last night. I'm sure the loot RNG will favor me now!

FYI for those finesse folks, you can roll and stay in stealth. It makes it far more tolerable to sneak up on enemies that way.

I don't mind Edge's score. They obviously didn't like it. I do have a problem with the content of the review, though. I don't give a f*** how much you love Skyrim. Review the game you're playing. They also gave Borderlands a 6, and that was my own personal GOTY when it came out.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I had a chance to play for 15 minutes or so before I had to come into work. I'm really excited to go home and play it tonight! I can confirm that post processing at least works for ATI cards! I'm a sucker for some bloom, so it's nice!

I think I'll go for a typical warrior/melee character at first.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Doesn't matter at this point, Curt and his team will have to improve for the sequel. This is how he will see it and let's be honest, it was unrealistic of him to think he could get a 95 rating for a first effort from mostly inexperienced game creators outside of some big names. Doesn't change the fact that I'm gonna buy it even if there's plenty of flaws which I expected. :p I'm gonna give my own feedback on what could be improved for the sequel as I see a ton of potential in this dev.

I find there to be something wholly endearing about a flawed, 80-something first effort. There's a sense of "passion over focus testing" that's hard to recreate.

Well, I had a chance to play for 15 minutes or so before I had to come into work. I'm really excited to go home and play it tonight! I can confirm that post processing at least works for ATI cards! I'm a sucker for some bloom, so it's nice!

I think I'll go for a typical warrior/melee character at first.

Yeah, I saw it running with PP on my roommate's machine, and I'm pretty sure I'll keep it off when I play. I wasn't a big fan of the vaseline blur bloom they have going there. It looks a lot more crisp with PP off.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
FYI for those finesse folks, you can roll and stay in stealth. It makes it far more tolerable to sneak up on enemies that way.

Oh, cool! I found out this morning that grabbing a nearby reagent while sneaking into a bandit camp breaks stealth lol.

So far I've been going pure fineness, and have hit Scout. Loving the game so far, it's bad ass.

Playing off Origin, add me (Diseasedyak) if any of you want.

scy

I got a lucky kiss from Ken at the end of the signing last night. I'm sure the loot RNG will favor me now!

I could use that :( I'm getting so much Sorcery equipment that I'm contemplating just going full on Sorcery spec. Sheesh. Picking up so much set equipment for it :(

LuchaShaq

Banned
Got my hands on my old roommates copy for about 3 hours this morning before work...at this point I'm really glad I canceled my pre order when the online pass stuff was announced. The hilarious easy and shallow dynasty warriors esque one button + roll/block combat is really boring. It also might be my least favorite looking game on an artistic level in a long time.

He seemed to LOVE it so far though.

Also people crying about review scores....seriously? Boo hoo they didn't use the 7-9 score every other site used. If you don't like their reviews don't give them clicks, also even if they all gave it a 10 or 1 and you enjoyed it, you enjoyed it so who cares.

Oh, cool! I found out this morning that grabbing a nearby reagent while sneaking into a bandit camp breaks stealth lol.

So far I've been going pure fineness, and have hit Scout. Loving the game so far, it's bad ass.

Playing off Origin, add me (Diseasedyak) if any of you want.

Did you grab the reagent while moving in stealth? I found that in the demo if I stopped and grabbed it, stealth remained. If I grabbed while moving in stealth, stealth was compromised.

Kem0sabe

Some more updated impressions...

+ Control scheme, actually prefer mouse keyboard to gamepad.

+ Like the skill tree design instead of other rpg leveling schemes.

+ For once we have a game that makes being a pure mage awesome, much more so than melee.

+ Music... need more of it! doesnt trigger often enough.

+ Weapon and magic sound effects have "impact".

- Quest objectives - Can only track one quest in the world map, the local map can have multiple quest objectives listed but it seems bugged, objectives disappear and then reappear for no apparent reason.

This makes for some very counter productive questing and brakes the flow.

- UI, i can open the map window with a key press but i can´t close it with the same keypress, have to manually click with mouse on the close button. This is more annoying than it should be because im using a keypad.

- Every crafting station should be in the outside. Doesnt make sense to have an armor/weapon smith on the top floor of an inn... Even if load times are short, it´s just another of those situations that breaks the flow.

- Quest design... want more variety! i know that i´m just starting out, but every other quest is go here and kill this.

- Too much backtracking in dungeons, they should have natural exists in the "end" back to the start or to the outside.

- Story / Lore is poorly presented to the player, too much, too soon. Game world expects the players to know this shit already.

- NPC´s dont seem to recognize that your a Fae (if player has chosen one for example), instead going on about how evil fae are and that we should tell them to fuck off.

- Sprint needs to be a toggle you can turn on or off instead of keeping a button pressed. Makes traversal more of a hassle.

Dina

Nope; Lunge autohits when it connects. That said, I love Lunge now that I'm using it. The ability to essentially reset a combo is great. And it generates Fate! Pretty nifty ability all in all.

Far better than basically all of my points in Sorcery so far outside of Chakrams.

But how do you use it?

Got my hands on my old roommates copy for about 3 hours this morning before work...at this point I'm really glad I canceled my pre order when the online pass stuff was announced. The hilarious easy and shallow dynasty warriors esque one button + roll/block combat is really boring. It also might be my least favorite looking game on an artistic level in a long time.

He seemed to LOVE it so far though.

Also people crying about review scores....seriously? Boo hoo they didn't use the 7-9 score every other site used. If you don't like their reviews don't give them clicks, also even if they all gave it a 10 or 1 and you enjoyed it, you enjoyed it so who cares.

how do you feel about skyrims one button combat?

just curious?

Klyka

Banned
- UI, i can open the map window with a key press but i can´t close it with the same keypress, have to manually click with mouse on the close button. This is more annoying than it should be because im using a keypad.

- Sprint needs to be a toggle you can turn on or off instead of keeping a button pressed. Makes traversal more of a hassle.

- NPC´s dont seem to recognize that your a Fae (if player has chosen one for example), instead going on about how evil fae are and that we should tell them to fuck off.

The first is NOT TRUE cause I show EXACTLY THAT in my video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adTi3masn-4

The second: Check your options menu, you can change it to a toggle.

Third: Maybe because you can not play as a Fae? You can play as a human or as an Alfar. Alfar are Elves. Fae are Fae.

ironcreed

Banned
I was expecting the average to be around 80, give or take a few points, so the reviews are not surprising to me. Some will love it, others not quite as much, but the average is still very much tipped on the positive end of the scale by and large. Certainly nothing to just scoff at, when such points to the game being at best great, and at worst still very good.

What bothers me is how so many gamers think scores like 7.5 means it must suck outright. They just look at the score, do not pay any attention to all of the positives that are pointed out, and proceed to write the game off as "trash" or "bargain-bin material at best." Is it any wonder why so many great games fall by the wayside, while sequel after sequel from all of the usual suspects are the only games that ever really get any real attention?

Whatever, I am glad to see that it is getting positive reviews for the most part. But at the end of the day, all that matters is my review for me. The game could be getting 4.0-5.0 across the board and it would not make it any less fun for me. Fortunately, it is doing much better than that, though. Looking forward to digging into it tonight.

moop1167

Just pointing out that you don't have to hold down control to sprint, at least you didn't in the demo. I'd just press it once and I'd stay in sprint.

Kem0sabe

The first is NOT TRUE cause I show EXACTLY THAT in my video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adTi3masn-4

The second: Check your options menu, you can change it to a toggle.

Third: Maybe bcause you can not play as a Fae? You can play as a human or as an Alfar. Alfar are Elves. Fae are Fae.

1. Friendly internet person... i´m only posting my own personal experience... and if i have a button asigned to map that opens the window but then doesnt close it like it should when i press it again (inventory screen works as it should btw), then... it´s true.. to me. Is it a bug? dunno, but its the truth.

2. Thanks for that, ill make sure to check it out.

3. Having Elves and Fae being different species is what confused me i guess. I´m used to them being one and the same in a lot of the fantasy novels i´ve read.

Just pointing out that you don't have to hold down control to sprint, at least you didn't in the demo. I'd just press it once and I'd stay in sprint.

Maybe i´m having a hardware problem after all. :(

Top Bottom